(Close Window)
Topic: Resurecting The Dead
Has anyone else noticed the absurd number of old posts getting pulled back up just so somebody can answer a question that is often well over a year old, if not older? I don't get this.

Is anyone else annoyed that they have to sift through all of these zombies to find a current discussion?

And for that matter, how socially bankrupt do you have to be to spend your whole weekend reading 3 years of archives just to give a one-sentence answer to a question that was asked by a person who hasn't been in this forum in over a year and for all we know may not even be interested in magic anymore, much less your myopic little opinion that merely echoes the 25 opinions that came before you back when the topic was relevant.

Can we try an keep our eyes looking forward, people?

The other day, somebody actually sent me a PM on whether or not I should order Jim Pace's The Web. I asked about that almost a year ago! I have long since bought it, tried it out and threw it in a drawer! Thanks for the timely response, Dr. Helpful! ARGH!

*sigh* I think I'm starting to take this forum too seriously!
:goof:
Dude, I think you need a nap REAL BAD.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jul 11, 2004 11:21AM)
If it bothers you that badly, petition to our good Mr. Brooks to automatically lock all posts that have not had responses for a set period of time.

Steve
Sorry Firedice. I think I am responsible.

One day I went to the last page and performed said resurrection to a Steve Brooks thread. I think I now have some followers who took said resurrection as a good thing to do and try to raise unworthy post spirits.
What a good rant fire dance. It made me laugh :)

Some times after reading a lot of serious posts its good too come down to this section because you always find something funny.

quote- 'Spend your hole weekend reading 3 years of posts :rotf:

Im thinking of resurecting a 3 year old thread on what is the best set of cups for the cups and balls :rotf:

That has to be the most asked question

A close second being -What is the best double lift...aarrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth

kukram
I leave the Café sometimes for many months - so I do appreciate people bringing back good threads (including some of my own!), but I think it stands to common sense that if someone was asking advice back in 02, then you don't reply to them personally. I only visit LITTLE DARLINGS, TRICKY BUSINESS and this column (plus a few welcomes to new members). I find this particular column very interesting and have learned quite a lot about what makes folks in other Countries "tick". I also understand the policy statement given at the head of this column and agree entirely - and unlike so many other Forums, it seems to work! (now what was I going to say about Bush and Blair, Palestine, Iraq, etc. - sorry, forgotten!!)
Firedice, I completely agree with ya...that is why I am on here less and less. It starts getting to me.

Go watch a good movie or practice some new routines. You'll find you don't miss the Café much when you are busy actually working on magic :)

Chris
That's the spirit Mr.Berry. Just give up instead of making a difference.
If you are so disaffected then you should post some things of value and be an innovator as opposed to a detractor.
Ok, gang, thanks for letting me rant and keeping me in a good spirit! "Fire Dance"! LOL!
Now I not only have to read the posts but the dates too? :)

Guilty on one count...I did answer one post before I noticed the date after the fact. But I hadn't dug for it...it was already near the top...I think...:)

(bowing and scraping now...head hanging in shame and mortification...)
If it is interesting I don't care how old it is. I only read those posts & threads that I think will be of interest to me, sort of like using the dial on a radio or television, rather than complain about the progaming, don't tune in.
I like re-runs anyway. :kermit:
Iven :patty:
I was very guilty of this when I first came on the Café, but that was because EVERYTHING was new to me at that point, and I didn't even really notice the dates. I mean, some subjects I read every single post available because there was a wealth of information that I had never heard before. It was only later that I read any posts like these and realized that I probably annoyed people by commenting on old subjects and pulling them to the top of the list.

Just a thought, but maybe part of the difficulty is due to the fact that only a few categories allow for a discussion of this problem. I read everything in "Polly want a Cracker" before I ever found "Food for Thought." I don't recall one comment on that forum that would have expressed annoyance with digging up old threads. That topic has nothing to do with animals and would consequently have been moved had someone posted a thread on the subject there.
I still get PM's about Raven hookups which I posted about months and months ago. It's like.....who reads this stuff?
When you do a search sometime it only brings back older stuff that has what you want I don't always look at the date

and besides I am of the OTHER school of thought that says why start new threads if there are old ones about the same thing? easier to find the info you want if it is all in one place its like ORGANIZATION ya know?
I appreciate reading old threads if they're interesting. Being that I don't spend as much time here as inner circle members, a lot of it's new to me.
Search with no limit on dates brings up all post that meet a search word.

If you don't check the date on the last post, then if you clicked it from a search or link, you don't know you are bringing up old stuff....

I'd rather have discussions in the same thread than the same topics in 5 or 6 places at different times....
Jul 11, 2004 11:56am was when this one was made. magentano, Daegs Just thought it was funny that you guys conjured this zombie up. LOL oh me too I guess I'm to blame as well.
[quote]
On 2004-07-12 14:08, irossall wrote:
If it is interesting I don't care how old it is. I only read those posts & threads that I think will be of interest to me, sort of like using the dial on a radio or television, rather than complain about the progaming, don't tune in.
I like re-runs anyway. :kermit:
Iven :patty:
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. If someone has something important to ask on a subject, they should be free to do so. But if it is something rediculas like "Oh yeah! I agree!" Then you should report that post. :)
I like the idea that the Magic Café will go on for decades. When I'm in the nursing home, I'll do a search with no limit on dates and start arguments with myself. There are already many threads with contributions from people who have since passed away. Maybe on Halloween I'll raise a few zombie threads!

Yours,

Paul
So, Expert Card Technique, useful book or just flash in the pan? Can't we do make do with "Expert at the Card Table"?

How about this one: Edge Grip, Downs palm rippof or just another rumor out of NY?
AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Necro posting ftw!
[quote]
On 2006-01-02 08:52, Reis O'Brien wrote:
AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!
[/quote]

Hey, Reis... How many times do you figure you'll get shot with the same bullet?? Ha-ha!!

~michael
Coins, why bother when rocks are free?
What do you think?
I think that newcomers such as me, who have the are smart enough to use the search engine are the culprits.

So instead of posting a question of how to "whatever" for the 300th time, we search and read the 300 posts and comment on the one(s) that seem interesting.

But there aren't many of us, so you cant be seeing all that many such posts.

Most newbies just say, where can I, How can I, What can I, etc. and expect that they are so cleveer and have so insightlfully asked the question that it must not have ever been asked before.
[quote]
On 2006-01-02 14:45, Michael Baker wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-01-02 08:52, Reis O'Brien wrote:
AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!
[/quote]

Hey, Reis... How many times do you figure you'll get shot with the same bullet?? Ha-ha!!

~michael
[/quote]

Apparently I need to get a kevlar vest, Michael!

By the way, what the heck is Townsend talking about? Is he getting crazier?
[quote]
On 2006-01-02 18:05, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Coins, why bother when rocks are free?
What do you think?
[/quote]

You're right Jonathan. We tend to take them for granite, don't we?
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 3, 2007 08:34PM)
I read a thread the other day where a guy was criticizing an effect he came up with 2 years prior. I thought that was hysterical.

Reis, It's been 3 years. Get a new avatar already!

Jonathan, where can I find a pebble suitable for Og's "pull out my tooth" trick?
[quote]
On 2004-07-11 11:56, Reis O'Brien wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the absurd number of old posts getting pulled back up just so somebody can answer a question that is often well over a year old, if not older? I don't get this.

Is anyone else annoyed that they have to sift through all of these zombies to find a current discussion?

And for that matter, how socially bankrupt do you have to be to spend your whole weekend reading 3 years of archives just to give a one-sentence answer to a question that was asked by a person who hasn't been in this forum in over a year and for all we know may not even be interested in magic anymore, much less your myopic little opinion that merely echoes the 25 opinions that came before you back when the topic was relevant.

Can we try an keep our eyes looking forward, people?

The other day, somebody actually sent me a PM on whether or not I should order Jim Pace's The Web. I asked about that almost a year ago! I have long since bought it, tried it out and threw it in a drawer! Thanks for the timely response, Dr. Helpful! ARGH!

*sigh* I think I'm starting to take this forum too seriously!
:goof:

[/quote]

Sometimes...in fact a lot of times there are new people who come on board here that were not around when the thread was originally posted...should not they get a chance to chime in too?
I like it.

And sometimes look for old lonely posts that no one ever answered, and then try and answer them, balancing the books.

Corona.
Amen.