(Close Window)
Topic: Impromptu loads for cup and ball routine
What do y'all like to use for an impromptu cup and ball routine for the final load? I use green tennis balls for my chop cup routine, but am at a loss for what goes over well when I have to assemble a routine, impromptu.
Usually if doing it totally impromptu, I'll head to the kitchen and grab a coffee cup and a paper towel. While there, I'll try to grab something on the sly for a final load. A salt shaker, piece of fruit, can of tomato paste, or a small nick-knack usually will work fine. Just watch what type of coffee cup you pick up.

MM
The incredible edible egg.
Aluminum foil makes perfect balls.
Fruit is usually an easy answer. Eggs would be pretty good provided you don't crack them.

Anything that catches them off guard is good. A watch, (Be it yours or your spectators) asprin bottle (if it would fit under the cups) visine, literally anything that will fit under the cups that is different than what you are using for the little balls.
This may sound pretty lame, but once when I was outdoors I used just plain old rocks.
Dan Garret has a cup and ball routine with a rock final load and then you reveal that the cup is filled with cement.
Jsmagus- Doesn't sound lame at all, actually, it sounds pretty good.
A severed shrunken head. Ok... maybe not...
[quote]
On 2004-08-03 11:36, Firedice27 wrote:
A severed shrunken head. Ok... maybe not...
[/quote]

Impromptu?? :eek:
If you make your cups out of paper origami-style there is a way to load coins into the folds and release them at the right time. I usually say something about "being able to afford real props now" in response to the coins falling out. It is also an easy way to move into coin effects (the Malini coin tear is perfect since it uses the paper forom the cups) or other less impromptu things like mentalism (paper for billets). Unfolding the paper adds to the mystery. Confetti can be loaded the same way.
Bob Read almost always performs the cups and balls impromptu when he is strolling. He goes into a party, nicks three teacups, grabs some bread, rolls it into balls, and gets some fruit or a veg from the kitchen.
That's all he needs.

This is in a recent issue of Genii.
Thanks for the input. Some great suggestions made.
:wavey:
Avocado gets a laugh.
I use my watch. It is an impromptu routine done at a dinner table using a coffee cup and dollar bills.

I published it this morning on the Genii Forum under the Perverse Magic thread.
Mouse or Hamster makes a good final load if you in the home and you own one, gets a great reaction!!
I do kids show so for the final load I usually use a yellow ball with a smiley face on it. Its just a bit smaller than a tennis ball.
Bank roll
There a great chop cup routine on the filler dollar DVD. I love doing it I do find tin foil balls hold together and have a boy of wegith. Final loads can be any thing. Fruit and veg always best as it's a item people know you can't fold or fake. I also like to pick up mobile phones and shake them out swell.
Earlier this week I did an impromptu routine with clay and the cups the clay comes in, went over really well.
If you know to within, say, 10 seconds how long your routine is, you can set up your cellphone with an alarm and use it as a final load so that it rings or vibrates before the reveal. If you have your watch on the table or there's a clock with a second hand visible, you can sync your phone to that to help with the timing. There are loads of gags you can use with this.

I think the watch, wallet, phone and keys direction is a good one to go in for totally impromptu loads. Some of these objects are tricky though; I guess a watch with a leather strap and keys in a key case would be helpful.
People seem to like money - Loosely balled up bills - the larger the denomination the better do work well as final loads. I have never used them for the cups and balls but have as a single final load for a chop cup.
If I know that I could be asked to do magic, I cary a small plastic case containing fie prepared playing cards that can be made to switch places when laid down. A small pack of "business" cards with an "out to lunch" routine on the back. I also carry a Pea Can. Finally I am always prepeared to to a torn and restored papeer/toilet paper/napkin trick. So to aid with those, I carry a very mini wand made from a q-tip with the fuzz cut off and blackened with a magic marker.
I remember performing in a restaurant and forgot my loads - I went into the kitchen (with the managers permission) and got three lemons.

I used them all night long and the audience never knew the difference.