(Close Window)
Topic: "Magical" business cards
Any thoughts on handing out your biz cards "magically"? In flames, or floating out of your wallet, or "oops, the printer seems to have left this one blank, I'll print it myself by magic", or whatever.

I'm inclined to think - wrongly perhaps - that this kind of thing would just annoy somebody who was seriously interested in getting my card for the purpose of contacting me in the future.

Or would it?
I'm sorry for this...it's probably well known by now but back in the early 60's I made up a bunch of cards...the front was

3 sketches of different types of noses and said simply CHOOSE ONE

the back said...

Now That You Picked Your Nose
PICK A CARD!
(then it had my phone number etc.)

I know...I know...terrible and corny but it worked for kids parties etc.

Now back to the REAL posts and answers.

Doug
I general...yes, it would annoy them...
I do a couple of effects that leave my business card in their hands with evidence of the effect, if the opportunity presents itself. Otherwise I just hand them out.
If the business card is integral to an effect, that I think is OK - creating a magic square with their lucky number on the back of the card, for example, and then of course you give them the card. That's cool.

But making the production of a business card an effect in and of itself ("Whoosh! Presto!") - that I do not personally care for much.

But if anyone has found that approach effective, I'd be interested to hear about it.
Now, if when they ask for a card you say "don't worry about it I already made one appear in your wallet" That might work....
There was a trick in a magazine where you would palm your card, ask for theirs and (if theirs had the same format as yours) switch cards, hold (your) card up to their head level (not letting them see the card) claiming you want to "link the name with the face." and then give them back the card which has been "magically" changed to your card.

I would prefer to ask for their card, put it over mine in the palm, take a pen and pretend to write my phone number on it. Slide _my_ card out from behind theirs, slip their card into my pocket along with the pen and hand them what they think is their card with my number written on it and if fact it's my card!
I know a guy that used to have his information printed on the backs of playing cards. He would then go to hand them what looked like a regular face-up playing card. As they reached for it he would backpalm it making it vanish, and then reproduce it showing his information side of the card. Pretty simple way but it worked well for him!

Evan
Message: Posted by: AlmostAmazingJames (Aug 5, 2004 12:18PM)
My magic mentor's business card looked like a corner was folded back and beneath it you could see a corner of the queen of hearts. He would force that card and then pretend to peel the corner. Then he would let the spectator keep the card. He booked a lot of shows from that.
I think if someone just wants a card, just give them one, but if you are showing someone a trick or two, find a way to leave your card with them.

I have a little folder on the table when I am doing my last effect. I open it and they can see my cards.

I say "This last trick is so cool, that I know you will want my card after" and I do Peter Marucci's Card to Wallet, producing the signed playing card from under the stack of business cards and generally they do ask for one.

Thanks Peter!
[quote]
On 2004-08-05 09:25, mandrake01 wrote:
There was a trick in a magazine where you would palm your card, ask for theirs and (if theirs had the same format as yours) switch cards, hold (your) card up to their head level (not letting them see the card) claiming you want to "link the name with the face." and then give them back the card which has been "magically" changed to your card.

I would prefer to ask for their card, put it over mine in the palm, take a pen and pretend to write my phone number on it. Slide _my_ card out from behind theirs, slip their card into my pocket along with the pen and hand them what they think is their card with my number written on it and if fact it's my card!
[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't clear that in the original instructions you were expected to toss their card over their shoulder in the switch. I would prefer to switch cards, palming theirs and then slip it into a pocket while "trying to find a pen."
[quote]
On 2004-07-29 17:19, cheesewrestler wrote:
Any thoughts on handing out your biz cards "magically"? In flames, or floating out of your wallet, or "oops, the printer seems to have left this one blank, I'll print it myself by magic", or whatever.

I'm inclined to think - wrongly perhaps - that this kind of thing would just annoy somebody who was seriously interested in getting my card for the purpose of contacting me in the future.

Or would it?
[/quote]

I tried the flaming card but was not impressed. I have only used it twice. I have tried other methods and each of them have their limitations. If you have your business cards printed with raised letters there is a card switch that works well like rough and smooth.

[quote]
On 2004-07-29 18:00, darkrider wrote:
I'm sorry for this...it's probably well known by now but back in the early 60's I made up a bunch of cards...the front was

3 sketches of different types of noses and said simply CHOOSE ONE

the back said...

Now That You Picked Your Nose
PICK A CARD!
(then it had my phone number etc.)

I know...I know...terrible and corny but it worked for kids parties etc.

Now back to the REAL posts and answers.

Doug
[/quote]

Corny but very funny. Do you mind if I use that too?

[quote]
On 2004-07-29 17:19, cheesewrestler wrote:

Or would it?
[/quote]

Create your card into a version of "out to lunch" and let them keep the effect. I did that with a Gospel theme and many persons take it home and place it on their mirror or someplace where they can be reminded of the minor miracle they witnessed.
Just received Michael Ammar's *Easy to Master Business Card Miracles* and can recommend it. I plan on rotating several of the routines every week at the Pizza Hut where I perform.
Bill Anderson also has a DVD about magic tricks that put your business card into your customers hands. This is a pretty new release.

[url=http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?ref=64113&products_id=1708]Promotional Magic by Bill Anderson.[/url]

- Donald.

P.S. I've not seen this product, but I know about it because I know Bill. One of his specialties is restaurant magic.
Stating the obvious, and echoing mormonyoyoman, go buy Michael Ammars tape. it gives you 25 tricks (i tihnk), some of which are quick hand out style, and the others are routines tricks. well worth the money, if you don't use the tricks with business cards, you can always use them with actual playing cards themselves.
It's not really effects that use biz cards in a (sort of, at least) logical way that I was wondering about, though. Writing a selected card prediction on the back of one, for instance, that's great, gives them a reason to keep your card.

It was effects where the card production itself is the effect I was questioning. I think they'd be inappropriate, even offputting to someone who's asked for your card with a view to maybe hiring you. Just wondered if anyone had experienced otherwise.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 31, 2004 01:45PM)
I do the same as Steven Steele. A card with a story behind it will probably be held onto longer.

Steve
Wow, there really are loads of ways to hand out a card!
I use tricks! I do a lot with my Stealth wallet! http://www.alakazam.co.uk
This way every time I perform with it I have handed out 2 business cards! Also, just write predictions on the back and force that card, etc.
I know it sounds simple, but they see the effect not the working!
Another thing I do is hole punch a corner of the card and attach 2 elastic bands through it...

Bring it out and say... I often ask people what they think this is? ...most people say; it look's like a luggage lable, but it is, in fact, my business card and I use this for carrying the smallest trick I do!

I then proceed to take the bands off and do crazy mans handcuffs! After, they are left with the bands and the cards.

In Magic
Steve Dela
Wow...No one has mentioned Michael Close's Pot Hole Trick...In essence its a trick that uses the back of your business card where you are magically moving holes (pot holes) from the front of your house to the spectators described house...This is really vagur but it is probably one of the stongest tricks I do, and honestly gets 90% of my business.
I think so to even though this can be used with hollow!
I watched Bill's DVD and it is worthy of a purchase!

I really love his business card coin matrix.