(Close Window)
Topic: Dove behavior?
I recently purchased three beautiful doves from Dakota Rose. Ranging from 2, 4, and 5 months old. A couple of days ago I let them out to exercise in my room along with my other dove (howard) in which I do not know his appropriate gender or age. Anyway, when I had them in my room the biggest dove (I'm assuming a male) deminstrates dominate characteristics (loud cooing, charging other doves, and landing on their back), while Howard will execute an almost jogging in place sort of action, but not always in the direction of the dominate dove.

Does anyone have any idea what this jogging behavior means?

Also, to members with multiple doves, do they have an established "pecking order?" If not, did you do anything to prevent them from establishing this order?

thanks,

Zack
If the dominant male is causing problems...keep him separate till you want baby ones...sounds like 'Howard' is a male with less than aggressive tendensies but would like to kick the other guys butt.

The loud cooing from the males and the hehehehe Giggles from the girls is an easy way to sex them with out other knowledge. Is Howard vocal at all?
Zack, Howard is agitated at the presence of the new male bird. As darkrider said, he recognizes the size of the newer bird and wants to kick butt to establish territory but knows better.

Male birds will almost always be agressive towards each other. If you can keep them in neutral territory like a new cage, they sometimes will get along but not always. I prefer to use females in my act. They just seem to work out better for me and don't grow quite as large in most cases.
Thanks Dave. I had been wanting to find out about the males or females. I am wanting to buy 2 doves pretty soon and I wasn't sure which way to go. I was assuming that male doves might not get along, but I didn't know it as fact.

Regan
Thanks, dave, and darkrider! As always, your advice is very helpful and to the point!

-Zack
Might mention though that the girls coo as well...they just giggle more when the boys are around...

and I like females as performers as well for size reasons and temperment...but that may just be my experiences...the girls just seemed to be more pleasant to work with...though I did have one Big male who who was a good performer.
I just found that out recently about my female. She seemed to always be quiet in the past but the other day I heard her coo and it startled me as I was standing right next to the cage at the time. She is a smart one though as she has the boys trained. She lays the eggs and lets them sit on the eggs and feed the babies after they are born.

Martin :pirate:
Martin, you may not see the change over but your female is sitting on the eggs as well. Pairs sit on the eggs in 12 hour shifts. If you ever get to see them change, it's quite fascinating. Whichever parent is coming "on shift", will gently nudge the other. It will get as close to the other as possible and increase the nudging until the shift changes. Twelve hours later, it happens again. She is also helping to feed. It is very difficult for one parent to produce enough nurishment to keep a baby going.
There's a lot of good information in this post. I'm considering getting into dove work myself and plan on purchasing Greg Frewin's dvd's next payday. Thanks for the info.