(Close Window)
Topic: A Kung Fu effect
I've given demonstrations for Kung Fu for years. One of the things that I've seen other people do is to lie between two chairs (head and shoulders on one, feet on the other), place a towel, then cinder block on the stomach, and have a student break the block with a sledge hammer.

I don't do it because it turns out that the block absorbs all the impace and so it's a trick. With a Kung Fu demo I do all skill.

But it would be great for a magician.
Last year a saw a magician (hypnotician) making this on TV. The audience was shocked.

(sorry about my english)
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 2, 2004 06:59PM)
Another nice (?) one is chopping a watermelon in half on an assistant's midsection with a katana.

I used to do a smaller version of this by chopping an apple in half on the palm of my hand with a machete.

Yes, I still have all my fingers.

Steve
There was a nice little trick done by a guy who I cant remember! he used the thumb ties and had a second man holding a katana by both ends and he penetrated the blade with his thumbs tied together and he kept all his digits! hardly breath taking but a fun gag! Rikbrooks what style of Kung Fu do you practice?
I saw a man lie between two chairs but he dropped daggers onto his stomach.
[quote]
On 2004-08-02 19:59, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Another nice (?) one is chopping a watermelon in half on an assistant's midsection with a katana.

I used to do a smaller version of this by chopping an apple in half on the palm of my hand with a machete.

Yes, I still have all my fingers.

Steve
[/quote]

I have seen the result of this "trick" done poorly also. Many stitches were required.
Personally, I think the cinder block on the stomach effect is best done as a physics lesson (I am a physics teacher by day). What most people don't realize is that the real danger is not the breaking block injuring someones midsection. The real danger is if this is not done right, a stream of high speed powdered rock ejecta goes straight into your volunteers face. The angle sends in right under a face shield and into his eye, nose, and mouth. While this may sound funny in a three stooges kind of way, the damage can be bad.
[quote]
On 2004-08-24 21:36, Cliffg37 wrote:
The real danger is if this is not done right, a stream of high speed powdered rock ejecta goes straight into your volunteers face. The angle sends in right under a face shield and into his eye, nose, and mouth. While this may sound funny in a three stooges kind of way, the damage can be bad.
[/quote]

It is only funny until someone gets hurt. Then it becomes hilarious! :devilish: