(Close Window)
Topic: ATA Cases
As of right now, many of my illusions are in home-made wooden cases. One even in a cardboard box!!! :hmm: I've seen these ATA cases, and love them! I have one because it came with a illusion I bought, but I want to know where I can get some nice cases cheap. Even if their aren't ATA, what cases do you guys use for safe transporting? :confused:
Justin - As a working pro musician I have invested mucho dinero on good ATA cases. New, custom-made cases are very expensive. If you have an illusion that you need a case for, you can expect to pay upwards of $350 USD depending on the size and shape of the case. I have picked up some great ATA cases on Ebay for pennies on the dollar but you don't have the choice of sizes or custom fit that you would with a new case. I have re-worked the insides of these cases, though, and have customized them pretty well. As always with Ebay, caveat emptor. PM me if you want further info on new or used cases.

Swami Bill
Justin,
Swami Bill hit the nail on the head with eBay. Just search for ATA, ATA Cases etc.
Here is a good site for you to look at:
http://www.cdmmanufacturing.com/

Good luck!

~Jason
Hey, Thanks very much!

Justin :bigsmile:
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Sep 23, 2002 07:59PM)
I recently learned of a company in Chicago that offers custom fiber cases at a really cheap price.

Wellington Trunk & Case
1134 West Hubbard Street
Chicago, Il 60622

They have been used by magicians for years. They don't like water.

Many people advertise their cases as A.T.A. but are not correct.
A true to god, A.T.A. case can be dropped from the air at a certain height. I do not know the exact distance. So be sure to ask questions before you buy a case with a prop. Make sure it is not just wood and carpet if it claims to be a A.T.A.

I.M.O.
Will
I don't think these are true ATA cases, but Sam's club has a 2-pack of aluminum cases that nest for $79. The big one is (LxWxH) 24x18x21 the small one is 22x16x19. They are fairly durable and are a pretty good bargin. FYI Bob
What is an ATA cases?
Justin, if you are looking for good cases and especially a roadworthy case, try any of the good music shops like Sam Ash, or the Guitar Center. They will certainly be able to provide you with about any size you may need. Although not cheap, they will last you a life time and surely protect anything you put inside them.
Justin, what do you need? I can have something built of excellent quality for a great price. let me know, I'm sure I can help.

P.
Depending on what you want, you can go to Lowe's and get a alumimium tool case for about $20.00 USD. I use two of these cases and chrome tray jacks to do my shows from. If you want a true ATA case go to http://www.pssl.com. This is the web site for Pro Sound and Stage Lighting.
I'm looking for the gray foam rubber for the inside of these cases. I want to redo some cases I already have. Can anyone tell me where I can find some?
ATA = Airline Transportation Approved.
Also generically referred to as Anvil (brand) or Road cases.

Best ones for magic are made by Encore Cases in Hollywood CA
A Magician founded this so he understands our language. Collectors’ Workshop/Viking use this company.

Tell them what you want in them, measure your stuff, they do the rest.
Hey.
I actually have an Encore Case for one of my Collectors Workshop items. It's very well made.
I just had some ATA cases made for my illusions within the past few months. It's the ONLY way to go if you travel at all.
Ok

For Canadians - Ata cases (complete with foam inserts ) sell for 27 50 at the local canadian tire.
Was that a Canada joke?
I have heard it posted in this area before that Thrift stores sometimes have some great cases.
Just wanted to throw in here that SKB make some excellent cases (for about 25 - 50 % cheaper than Anvil). You can find some of what they offer here:

http://www.casesbyskb.com/

Personally, I store most of my magic paraphenalia in the electrician cases sold at Builders Square, Home Depot, Etc... (They go for about $20 :cool:). They are very professional looking (brushed aluminum), have adjustable compartments, and the removable panel in the top portion is great for sorting smaller items (also to stash things behind). I also came across some pretty cool cases here:

http://www.pricehot.com/briefcase.html

These can get pretty pricey though as well. :wow:
[quote]
On 2004-01-01 22:52, Justin Flom wrote:
Hey.
I actually have an Encore Case for one of my Collectors Workshop items. It's very well made.
I just had some ATA cases made for my illusions within the past few months. It's the ONLY way to go if you travel at all.
[/quote]

Justin,

Curious where you decided to get your ATA cases built?

Thanks,
Bill
[quote]
On 2002-10-05 21:13, xaratax wrote:
What is an ATA cases?
[/quote]

ATA = Air Transport Association.

ATA cases are supposed to be resistant to baggage handlers. They are heavy-duty cases made for illusions, musical instruments, etc.
No, it wasnt a Canadian joke. They really have them for $27.50. I love Canadian Tire, ropes, sponges, cases, tables: prop makers dream home.
What about building them, Any suggestions, Plans on construction?
For me, Pelican cases are the best. They're waterproof and durable (good thing when traveling overseas!).

Oh, and Den, you can totally build a road case yourself; just don't expect the quality to be anywhere near the same. Measure how much space you'll need (be creative with the compartments) and design a box that'll fit everything.

Use 1/2 inch plywood. Get 2-inch wheels from Home Depot and drill them to the bottom but make sure you put in a couple of 2x4s to reinforce the wheels (they're the first things to break off). I think Home Depot also sells metal corners for you to attach over the wooden corners of your box. (Recommended, that's the second thing to break.)

Hope it helps...

New idea from a buddy, hypnotist James Song. When carrying smaller or more portable items, you can simply use coolers. Just have them painted black, stencil your name in white on the sides, add some foam insulation, and you're set.

The absolute best coolers to get are the ones with fabric covers that already look like bags. Just remove the label by cutting off the stitching. If you need a larger case, get a larger cooler. Coleman sells a really large model for under $100 (I think at Target, check http://www.target.com ). Rubbermaid has a 102-quart model that will probably pass as luggage ($90 at Target).

Either way, you can beat the hell out of it without worry; coolers have so much insulation nothing will get damaged (assuming you've put foam rubber around the delicate stuff).

One last point:

I don't carry around a lot of props anymore; I have my stuff sent UPS everywhere and let the promoter pick up the charges. However, I do recall there being limits on sizes of luggage if you're flying with your case(s). I know it's 70 pounds before you're charged a fee, but I'm not sure about the dimensions. If you're thinking about taking a case around with you via airplane, you'd do well to check out your airline's website for checked luggage restrictions (look for maximum dimensions allowed, then buy that size cooler or make that size box).

Last point:

Art supply stores sell heavy-duty pencil cases that look like really large Zip-loc bags. I'd glue one of these to the outside of the case and put in an itinerary whenever you travel (visible from the outside, but DO NOT include personal information; just your name and where you're going). I once drove Juliana Chen to a show in Florida; delayed considerably because her luggage (with her act inside) was lost.
You all have great suggestions - but might I offer a bit of advice - you get what you pay for - I ship my show internationally on a regulare basis - if anyone should know cases, it me ! take a look at the body twister on http://www.magicaucion.com - used illusions page 2 - there is a show of a few form my warehouse - actually , there are now about 70 most of which are custom made.
Now - there are GREAT copmapnies out there - Encore, Anvil, Cabbage, Georgia Case, etc - keep in mind that you will need to get the case to you when it is copmplete and this coupld be expensive - we have cases that are 8 feet long and 5 feet high -the case alone was $2500.
For local transport( in your car or trailer ) find and use what you can, however, when another party is involved in moving your equipment, you'd better do your research.
You can make your own. I've been doing this since day one. You can purchase everything at http://www.reliablehardware.com The people there are really helpful, and will answer all your questions on making them. This has saved me lots of money. I'm building cases now that other companies have quoted me $1,200 for, and I was able to make for around $500 and two full days of work.

I've also shipped this show to about 15 different countries over the past few years, and my props and cases are all holding up.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Hello Justin - another choice is to find a local kitchen cabnet shop. Bring in your example and tell them the new size you want. They put on the "Formica" style cover in any color or texture and that way you can have color coded or unique paterns. They also have access to the hardware, flush mount handles-wheels-hinges. By having a cabnet shop fabricate it and has a little better chance to look more professional then if you did it yourself.
[quote]
On 2005-06-05 14:02, DaveWomach wrote:
You can make your own. I've been doing this since day one. You can purchase everything at http://www.reliablehardware.com The people there are really helpful, and will answer all your questions on making them. This has saved me lots of money. I'm building cases now that other companies have quoted me $1,200 for, and I was able to make for around $500 and two full days of work.

I've also shipped this show to about 15 different countries over the past few years, and my props and cases are all holding up.

Hope this helps!

Dave
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave. This is a great site for ATA hardware.