(Close Window)
Topic: US/UK Tips.
Tips please, have a very strong in your face UK comedy themed escape act. What advice, humour wise, can you give? Don`t want to get deported too soon.
I believe an employers signature stating that you have gainful employment as an entertainer would keep you for a while. If you haven't got that, my guess is that sooner or later you'll have to leave, or hide.

I have no clue where you are, but I am of the understanding that Coney Island in New York City still runs a vaudville like theater of sideshows. this may or may not be what you are looking for.

Good Luck
I am looking for pointers as to the differences between US and UK humour. Having worked for American audiences doing close-up at Rumours, in the Strand (London UK)There seems to be a definate divide.I have two contracts to fulfill in the US but this time with a cabaret type presentation so the do`s and don't`s re verbal comedy would be appreciated.
Having not seen your show, this is a tough one. What little I know of brittish humor comes down to Brittish TV as shown here.

My feeling (without knowing your audience) plan to have a mixed group of ages. Keep it clean and if you use puns, understnad that they may reach only half your audience. I try to stay away from even mild profanity, but Penn Gillete (very successful in vegas and tv) would dis agree.

I think if you plan for family entertainment you can't go wrong.

I realize this isn't too helpful, but if you could tell us some of the routines in your show, perhaps we cold be more specific.

Cliff

P.S. My opinion is that Monty Python that was amazingly successful in the 70s here is far out of favor now.
One difference -> fanny means two different body parts

My friend learned this when she went to teach in the U.K.

"Do you know where your fanny should be?" did not impress the visiting superintendent when my friend said it to one of her students.
Ouch....Not good.

I've just been to see Dodgeball so I guess some Slapstick works in a more general sense but that does not fit in with the verbal comedy you need for the caberet.

I'm sorry I can't be more help Kondini.
It seems as I feared that my style, a cross between Chubby Brown and Gazzo will be frowned upon, I guess the family show type presentation maybe with visual comedy is the way to go.Looks as though the strength of the escapes alone will have to be relied upon, I am going to find this hard as I tend to slip into character very easily once up on stage. The hardened audiences of heavy drinkers and seen it all attitude that gave me my apprenticeship many years ago now will have to be dropped !! This is going to be hard for me.
Thanks for the input,,,,so to follow on, am I to presume that a family type presentation would still score in a teenage, drinking and roudy environment or do these type of shows not exist in the US?
Speak in a cockney accent, people love cockney accents...
Her indoors is an East Ender (Leytonstone) So maybe she had better do the gigs !
I talk proper.
Yes, avoid slang at all costs. Trying to sound British just annoys the natives, and American slang is either meaningless or has a different meaning in the UK.
To avoid your English accent causing problems.

Do it in French.

Paula
Hmmmm doing a english Accent in French or a French Accent sounding like its english.
Languages can be fun in magic

In my sponge ball routine I currently offer:-

English
French
German

I'm working on Arabic, Hindi and Spanish.

I love throwing people off kilter, as being offered a different language for a magic trick comes right out of left field.

Paula