(Close Window)
Topic: Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders
Has anyone seen this yet? I saw the demonstration on the DVD the other day and all I can say is wow. Not a whole lot as far as new moves, but his way of doing them makes it look like trick photography. Needless to say I ordered it instantly.
It is highly recommended and very well made DVD. Visuals are excellent and the teaching is superb. You can't go wrong.
Where is there a demo? It sounds interesting this routine. If it's anything like three ropes and a baby, it will be a classic!
I would credit Fiber Optics for Sander's very animated and visual moves.

Hi Kevin I have Fiber Optics and in it there's a 3 rope routine demonstrated (as a bonus I think). I searched the web for "3 ropes and a baby" and the textual description seems to fit that video perfectly. So I wonder if that's actually it.
Has any found a Demo of this routine yet.

[quote]
On 2004-09-12 23:38, barwald wrote:
Has any found a Demo of this routine yet?
[/quote]

Ok folks, I've got it on order. It sounds like a great DVD!
Great routine by an awesome magician. I can assure everyone that this routine is much more visual than "Three Ropes and a Baby." If your a rope fan than pick this up now.

Steve
In reading the description, it sounds like Richard Sanders has taken his "Three Ropes and a Baby" and, as Emeril would say, he kicked it up a notch. Is sounds like Richard took every rope effect knwon to man and incorporated them into the ultimate rope routine. It appears at first blush that you can devise your own rope routine by incorporating the items you want and in the order you want, etc. As such, it appears that this DVD can be utilized as a primer for all the best rope moves and you can "cut and paste" them together to fit your style or time constriants. Is this the "Mother" of all Rope routines?

After reading the reviews, this has become a "must have" for me.

(For those of you who do not know what the routine entails, I have "cut and pasted" a description of the routine below.)

Mike

[b]Fiber Optics[/b] by Richard Sanders - DVD

A 16 phase eye-popping rope routine with over 22 killer moves [b]to choose from[/b]!

Never cut your rope again! Dust off your ropes and fast forward into the future with Richard Sandersí eye-popping, mind-crunching multi-phase rope routine. Learn the amazing NEW super visual moves that amazed magicians during Richardís lectures at FISM 2003. Fiber Optics is a 16 phase rope routine packed with NEW super visual moves designed to thoroughly amaze

Featured moves:

[b]Throw Restoration[/b]: 2 pieces of rope restore as they are tossed out!

[b]The Ends Switch[/b]: Switch the rope ends secretly!

[b]Finger Cut[/b]: Visually cut the rope with your fingers!

[b]Drop Restoration[/b]: Drop 2 pieces of rope and watch the cut visibly restore!

[b]Ends Across[/b]: The ends of the rope jump visibly from hand to hand!

[b]Super Slide[/b]: The ends visually slide down the length of rope to the other side!

[b]Gravity Pull[/b]: The ends fall off of the rope!

[b]Endless Loop[/b]: The ends vanish from the rope leaving an endless loop!

[b]Pop Endz[/b]: Pop the ends back onto the rope and hand it out for examination!

[b]Static Cling[/b]: The 2 ends of the rope visibly restore leaving an endless loop!

[b]Clip Link[/b]: The ends of the rope visibly link back onto the rope!

[b]Gravity Link[/b]: The ends of the rope literally fall onto the rope ... leaving it restored!

[b]Toss Link[/b]: The ends of the rope are tossed onto the endless loop and all is normal!

[b]Lickety-Split Ends Switch[/b]: The cleanest, fastest and most indetectible ends switch!

[b]Midair Morph[/b]: A visual midair rope restoration that literally fools the brain!

[b]Ends Away[/b]: Pluck the ends to and from the rope at will... completely amazing!

[b]Loop Swoop[/b]: Watch the ends literally jump back onto the rope!

[b]Air Toss[/b]: The ends link back onto the rope in midair!

[b]Opposite Ends[/b]: The ends change places with the middle of the rope...visually!

[b]Middle Melt[/b]: The middle is plucked from the rope and then restored!

And much much more!
I own this DVD. It's excellent. His routine is the basic standard 3 rope routine with self cutting ropes and end removal and a prof. nightmare. His routines are excellent. He has a 3 rope routine and a 1 rope routine. Both are excellent. Then he has a whole series of moves including ways to cut the rope, restore the rope, pull the ends off, pull the middle out, visually put the ends on, how to transition into and out of the prof nightmare and how to end clean on a 1 rope routine. It teaches his routines. But there are enough tools here to create your own. It's more than just a DVD teaching a few routines. It's a tool box with a plethora of tools for your own routine construction. I highly recommend it!

Eric
ps. plethora: that's my 5 dollar word for the day
Eric,

Plethora? How erudite of you.

Thanks for the brief review. What I think I am hearing you confirm is that the Fiber Optics routine is modular and, as such, it allows a performer to pick and choose which of the 16 phases (and in which order) he might wish to utilize (assuming that he doesn't wish to perform the entire routine). What I like about that is that a performer can put together a smaller routine of moves he has mastered, and, as he masters other moves, he can then incorporate such newly mastered moves into his existing routine. That's great!!!

Finally, is a Professor's Nightmare type of rope routine too "big" for restaurant table hopping? If Professor's Nightmare routines are deemed appropriate for restaurant table hopping, then Fiber Optics certainly seems to lend itself nicely in that environment in that the performer can cut the routine short (no pun intended) if the food arrives mid-performance. Opinions on this point would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
I have already ordered my copy too. It looks intense.
If you want to see a video of it, there's one here;
http://www.richardsandersmagic.com

I can't wait to get my copy
Can anyone tell me if this 'routine' is something that a 'newbie' can learn? I saw the demo and was totally amazed! :D
Looks like a lot of useful info.

oliver
Does this DVD contain the classic "3 ropes and a baby" routine? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :D
I've seen the primer. It looks like it's 3 Ropes and a Baby with updates.

I have wanted to see a performance of this since I bought the manuscript. I have already kinda mastered the moves but would like to see the master at work.

I might buy Fiberoptics for further clarification.
I just want to know does this require a gimmick or can the rope be handed out at the end ?
During some phases, you couldn't hand out things out without ditching an extra piece, but there are no gimicks, per se.

You can easily having the ropes examined before and after with routining and you can do this with borrowed ropes of the right length and size.
Wulfie66, I'm new with ropes and I bought the DVD because I was amazed seeing the man in action. I am making good progress with the moves and routines and I feel a beginner can easily learn and master everything on the DVD. I haven't spent much time yet, only a couple days but I think it's more of getting used to the moves. There isn't really anything that complicated.

So I would definitely recommend this even for a beginner like me.

Hiro
Eric:
I've been doing Professor's Nightmare table hopping for years. I follow Hypnotizing The Professor which is on Million Dollar Mysteries, The Magic of James Lewis.

I can share this with you since Portland, OR is a far way from sunny Stuart, Florida!
Well I finally broke down and purchased Fiber Optics from Elmwood, just awaiting it's arrival. I just hope it's something someone new to rope magic can follow. I tend to learn easier via video than books, don't ask me why. :D
How long is the routine?
All time is spent on the moves (mini playlets) - how you put them together is entirely up to you so can be one minute or 10 minutes long - all the moves flow together as you always end up in the same place bar start/end. I doubt you would ever do EXACTLY the same full routine twice (it's that simple/good) so simple you can react to whatever wows the specs eyes on the fly :)

For anyone with the DVD - pay attention to lickety split end switch - Richard actually uses this move quite often even though he says he's doing a basic end switch and it's a lot easier (for me at least)

PS - Wasn't Richard Sanders in Friends playing Ross :)

Posted: Oct 23, 2004 7:55am
-------------------------------------------------
It's sooooo visual and can be done surrounded/anywhere... not only that - anyone that takes notice will be the one to approach - it would be like a calling card...
----------------------------------------------
Wow!! I just received the DVD last Monday and I haven't come up for air yet. What a fantastic DVD!!

To answer many questions asked:

1. "Three Ropes and a Baby" is essentially the first 9 (or is if 12?) moves shown. In any event, the DVD is essentially TRAAB plus some alternate moves and a few additional moves. I love this fact in that I really had difficulty understanding the TRAAB manuscript. Additionally, Richard had "cleaned up" TRAAB by eliminating the first move in the manuscript (where you "join" the small rope and the long rope) in favor a much stramlined handling to accomplish the same thing. I believe the new move is the Karrell Fox move.

2. The entire routine is modular and you normally end up in one of two positions (either the "starting position" or the "end switch" position). As such, it is easy to go wherever you want to in the routine. You can do moves "out of order", you can follow the script (it Richard was even teaching one) and you can repeat and throw in a move that "wowed" the crowd again and again whereever and whenever you want.

3. Richard teaches all of the moves clearly and unhurredly. He repeats the move over and over again and from multiple angles. I especially like the fact that he always shows you each move from "behind". that is, from the magician's point of view (POV). This really helps a lot and speeds up learning in that you are not constantly having to "interpret" a move from the front and "convert" it to the magician's POV.

4. You will find that after you start playing with the moves, things (learning the moves) start to come together at a geometric rate since all of the moves start out in the basic position and the next part of most moves is the "end Switch" position. After a while, you find yourself doing those particular moves almost automatically and that leaves you free to concentrate on the essential differencse between each of the moves. What I'm trying to say is most moves, in and of themselves involves the starting position and the end switch and that these two "moves" make up 50-70% of each new move. Hence, by leatning these two moves, you are essentially 50-70% already through learning any of the new moves. And, after performing this 50-70%, you can change horses in mid-stream and do move "D" again instead of completeing move "G". Does that make any sense?

5. I agree with Clarioneer. I too like the bonus move taught called the "Lickety Split End Switch" better than the normal "End Switch". They are essentially the same move except for a MINIMAL hand adjustment right towards the end of the move. I think the "Lickety Split End Switch" is a lot more deceptive and easier to learn.

6. This routine is PERFECT for street magic, close-up magic, parlour magic and stage magic.

7. This routine starts out doing the Professor's Nighmare, then goes into a 2 rope routine using the long and the short ropes. And finally, the routine closes by re-introducing the medium rope, showing 3 equal pieces of rope and ending by having the ropes reverting back to theh 3 unequal pieces of rope. Richard also teaches a rope routine billed as a 1 rope routine (actually a 2 rope routine using the short and the long pieces of rope). Essentially, he is doing the same moves as in the 3 rope routine except he skips the Professor's Nightmare portion of the original routine and never introduces the medium rope.

8. I heartly recommend the brand of rope used by Richard. It is the Elite STAGE rope sold by Camirand Magic. It is highly visible, lies flat when cored, is EXTREMELY easy to handle and work with, and is easy to keep held in the hand just by its end. The main thing I like about this rope is the fact that when you prrpare the end by tucking in the end and adding a gob of glue, the end bulges out slightly and provides an excellent tactile feel for you to both know when you are coming to the end of your rope (pun intended) AND to keep the end from slipping out of your hand. In other words, you have a natural "gripping" end that is not obvious to the audience but will do loads for instilling conficence in you in your handling. This is the same rope that comes in the TRAAB effect. the only difference is that, in Fiber Optics, Richard has chosen to make the ropes a little bit longer and this additional length greatly enhances the visibility and the illusion.

Camirand Magic's Stage rope is 10mm in diameter; they also make a Parlor version of the rope which is 6mm in diameter. The Parlor rope is about 1/2 the price of the larger diameter rope but I find the larger diameter Stage rope easier to handle and to grip.

9. As stated by others, you can get 1-10 minutes out of this effect--depending on your presentation, the "modular" pieces used and the repeatability of certain "mods". You could also add some "pet" moves from other rope effects if you'd like (including using just one of the ropes (the medium or the long) and doing some knot "work" and/or some "ring on rope" work if you'd like--and then ending back where you started (3 uneven pieces of rope).

There is soo much good stuff here that it is easy to go on far longer than you should and bore your audience with too much of a good thing as you continue to entertain yourself.

Fiber Optics will become an instant classic in rope magic and will certainly become a staple in my repertoire. Hope this helps.

12/10

Mike
Great Review Turk, thanks!
How does this differ from Daryl's Rope routine? At first glance much of it sound similar.
[quote]
On 2004-10-28 21:45, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
How does this differ from Daryl's Rope routine? At first glance much of it sound similar.
[/quote]

It is almost similar at first glance but if you study it well, it is really different in some aspects.

Richard Sanders has moves different from others.
Are some of the moves from three ropes & a baby?
Most of the moves are from 3 ropes and a baby. Mr Sanders adds more visual moves which took the effect to the next level. I love it even more now!
Is there any spectator involement in this routine?
Well... they can examine the ropes before the routine starts and when it ends.... and they can help you hold the ropes before you end the effect... It's not really a spectator-involved kinda routine. But believe me their eyes will be glued to what you can do with the ropes. Believe me!
Frank,

That's the ONLY down side; there is essentially no spectator involvement once the routine begins. But the moves are true 'eye candy.' The other great thing about Fiber Optics is that it uses no gimmicks, and everything can be examined before and after (and possibly even during!)

Extremely visual, eye-popping stuff!!!

If you do any kind of rope magic, Fiber Optics is a must; even if you don't use the whole routine, there are many individual moves that are alone worth the price of the DVD.

I give it a big :thumbsup:
Here are a couple more 'downsides'

1) I think the routine is confusing and makes little sense. He really has just strung a whole bunch of moves together.

2) There is little to no patter aside from "we'll take the middle off and put it over there and then bring it back again..."

3) Some of the moves don't work well 'together' IMO. e.g. starting with professor's nightmare and showing a long rope and a short rope sort of telegraphs later on what the pieces involved are to anyone who thinks about it.

None of these points matter at all when you view the DVD as a kick ass collection of rope moves but since it is sold as a rope 'routine' I think these factors let it down a little.

However, its still one of the best collections I have ever seen! I look forward to coming up with my own routine!

(PS I DO think this is a GREAT DVD...but since everyone was being so nice I thought I'd play Devil's Advocate.)
That's OK Nicholas, nothing should ever be unanimous; it's undemocratic. :lol:
Really? I thought it was undemocratic to question those in power...
Just purchased this DVD. If you don't have it, get it. It's great!!
I bought it and enjoyed it. I learned the moves that really suited me and they were immediately added to my act.

There's a lot of really good moves, and some not so good. If you have a passion for rope and want to take the time to weed out what isn't that great, then this would be good for you.

Go get it.

Troy
I'm really glad I bought this....

:wavey:
HŚkan
[quote]
On 2004-09-28 07:53, Turk wrote:

Finally, is a Professor's Nightmare type of rope routine too "big" for restaurant table hopping?

Mike
[/quote]

Not at all. I just finished using the basic Professor's Nightmare in a three-night stint of table-hopping. And it gets a truly wonderful reaction from all age groups, even jaded college students.

I watched the video demo of [i]Fiber Optics[/i] and it's now high on my to-buy list. Between it and the wonderful Tabary DVDs, I should have quite a bit to work on over the upcoming holidays.

Jeremy
I have it. Mastered 3 Ropes and A Baby. Adapted some of the new moves fron Fiberoptics. It gets a great reaction. I don't know why.
I love the One Rope Routine at the end of the DVD. You can use it for walk-around or on stage. It has actually convinced me to put my scissors away.

The DVD itself is REALLY well made and the explanations are crystal clear.

This is one well good product! Congrats, Richard.

Mike
Parts of this sound very similar (though I am sure different in it's totality) to Tabary's 3-rope routine on his second video. I perform this regularly. I am sure there is some overlap between the moves. Looks like it's definitely worth having, though.
I know this will sound like a newbie question, but I've never performed rope magic ever, so here it goes.

Where can I get a lot of rope, for really cheap?

I'm low on money, and need to know how much the rope will cost in advance seeing as I plan on getting other things before this. This is the second thing on my list, though.

Also, can it be performed surrounded?

Adam
Adam:

1. Don't get cheap rope! Get Elite Stage rope from Camirand Academy. It's white, thick and very soft.

You don't actually cut or use the rope in Fiber Optics, so you don't have to worry about getting a lot of rope. You can get about 3-4 Fiber Optic "sets" from one package of the elite stage rope.

It's about 20 dollars for 33 feet.

2: While for some moves you are a tad vulnerable directly behind your hands, I've performed this many times surrounded. Nearly all the secret parts are contained inside your closed hand, so there is nothing to see.
I'm ordering this DVD from Hocus Pocus and want to know what rope to get. They have two Elite ropes. One is 7mm thick, the other is 10mm thick.

What is the best size to use on this routine? I'm leaning toward the 7mm.

Lou
I like the "Stage" size, not the parlour. In other words I like the 10mm rope.

Both will probably work, but I just like the feel of the 10mm rope.

Since you don't use it up very fast or waste any with each performance, it should last you a while.
Apparently Denny & Lee sell rope made by Fun Inc. that is very similar to the Camirand Elite stage rope but much cheaper.

Has anyone tried it?
I have two questions; one, arn't there a lot of videos on the market that teach 3 rope routines that then two come together to make on long one, yada yada, and end where the routine started? And two, what is the difference between Elite Stage rope from Camirand Academy, and any standard magicians rope you can buy for $10, for 50 feet at any site.
Perhaps but there are also a lot of card DVD's and Cups and Balls DVD's ect ect.

Classics are classics for a reason.

In this case, starting and ending at the same point makes for a good routine with a logical ending, and having the 3 stretch and change and whatnot are some great pieces of magic!

It should be noted that Fiber Optics also comes with a complete One Rope routine where you hand out a rope, and then proceed to do many of the moves from the 3 rope routine, and then you end clean with an examinable rope again.... It's very good and taught very well.

I can't vouch for other rope because I have only ever bought Elite Stage Rope, because I do a no-cut routine, 2 bags has kept me going for a long long time.

It's really white, very very soft, nice and thing to handle and just the right thickness, softness, visibility and grippability to use for rope magic.

It feels like the rolls royce of rope... I don't know the quality of other types of bulk rope from random magic dealers, because I am so impressed with the quality of the elite rope, and happy with the price, I don't see a need to waste any money on any other rope!
Well, I bought the Tabary 2 DVD Set and Fiber Optics, and I must say, Fiber Optics is much easier. It's very fun to perform, and even pretty fun to practice. As stated before, it's a no cut routine, and it really shocks people. I went with the 50 Foot Magicians Rope for 11.99 at Elmwood. It's pretty good, but I plan on buying the elite stage rope after.

Anyways, good luck with your rope routines!

Adam
This is one of the best DVD's I've purchased in a long while. It's was a breath of fresh air. I LOVED IT!!! Highly recommended!

Also, in response to the earlier point about the routine not including any spectators: For me, that was one of the selling points. Most of my routines already include spectators. It's nice to have a great routine like this to break it up a bit.

Caleb
I just received this DVD yesterday and will echo everyone else that highly recommends this.
I didn't like the lack of patter that was given to aid the trick, but I do think richard sanders is a great teacher. I loved the dvd, one of the best resources I have
I just watched it! It's the first rope magic dvd I ever saw and my first peek into rope magic. I love it. Not that difficult to master. I immediately cut some ropes out of our tent rope and they work fine..LOL. I'm starting to master it.

To those who are having second doubts, don't. Get it! :spinningcoin:
Wait till you see the audience reactions!

I just used it at a paid gig, the reactions were: How did that happen?, very big eyes with jaws dropping and a thunderous applause at the end. I really don't know why.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 25, 2005 04:46PM)
Hello Everyone,
I would like to ask the people who already worked with Fiber Optics a question. Will the necessary ropes fit in a vanishing cane? I hate picking rope up when I can produce it through magical means

Thanks
Ray
You can do the routine with any type of rope you want, I've even done it in a pinch with thick twine...

I use 10mm rope, but Elite has some nice parlour rope at 7mm, if that is too big then just use smaller rope :)
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 25, 2005 09:22PM)
Daegs,

So I guess the answer is yes?

I do not have Fiber Optics so I do not know the required length or pieces needed. I know that you can stuff a rope into a cane. But you can only fit some much.

Anyway thanks for informing me that rope comes in different sizes.

Ray
Great DVD from Richard Sanders. Fiber Optics warp the rope routine to the next level. It gives me the impression of a juggling magic routine with ropes...in the most visual way.

Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Well yes..

There is the one rope routine and the 3 rope routine included on the DVD.

The 3 rope routine uses a standard proffesors nightmare set, which is "Short/2 + Long/2 = Medium" or "Short+Long = 2*Medium".

The proportions are what matters, so anything from 6 inches to 6 feet will work.

The one rope routine uses a single length rope along with an additional piece that you keep in a pocket or somewhere hidden...

In either routine, you can either use any size rope you want, in any length you want(as long as proportions are lined up).
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 26, 2005 08:31AM)
Daegs,

Thanks for the infomation. Looks like this may be something that I need to check out!

Ray
Magical Dimensions.... The rope lengths recommended by Mr. Sanders are 47",26", 9". It can be done however with any different lengths of rope he does explain how to make the set up on the DVD but it can be customized to your needs. If you use the Elite rope from Camirand I doubt it would fit in most canes....all three peices. However with different widths of rope I'm sure it would work. The DVD is great! Very visual!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 26, 2005 03:36PM)
Gumbimagic,
Thanks for the information!I am sure that this will become something that I will do.

Ray
Hi all! Two quick questions on Fiber Optics:

1) It looks as though the rope that he uses is NOT cored, can anyone please confirm this, (and whether it matters), because...
2) I cannot get the gravity move when the ends are slid down the rope to work, and am wondering whether this is due to the fact that I use standard magicians cored rope, which is maybe too "flat" for the move.

P.S. I cannot find any suppliers of Camirand rope in the UK, so will have to rely on UK magicians rope, or sailing rope perhaps, (depending on the answer to 1). Thanks people, (and yes, this is a GREAT DVD...)

Rgds - Bruce
I believe it is Camirand rope Richard uses on the video. He pushes it at the end of the DVD and gives the www.address. It also looks just like mine. I just got it from Camirand a day or two ago. It says in the description of the rope package it is "manufactured in Europe and imported by us because, quite simply nothing comparable can be found in North America." Just check around.
OK well I placed the order for this DVD so I'll be waiting for it. Also, other than Camirand's rope, where is a good place to get rope to do numerous rope effect given that I would have to cut the rope myself but I'm looking for enough rope to do this Fiber optics effect, Tabary routines and a rope escape? I guess I'm just looking for a lot of rope. Any one know?
You won't need any EXTRA rope for any of Tabary's rope magic......NICE!!!!!!!!
OK well that post confused me a little bit. Are you saying that fiber optics will make me not want to perform and Tabary or does fiber optcics come with rope?
I haven't had the pleasure of viewing the Fiber Optics DVD. Richard Sander's is great, I use to perform his 3 ropes and a baby for years. What I ment about Tabary is that his routines do not require you to cut any ropes at all. In his routine you are seen to cut the rope but it is an illussion. Tabary's rope effect isn't something for the beginner. The effect (and yes, I perform it) is fantastic!
I learned it from his DVD but just got his new book three days ago. I am now re-working a few moves that were giving me a little trouble. The new book shows every move in illustration and the written word takes you into his view and development of the entire routine. I spent the entire night reading and studing the book and IT ROCKS! As I said before, Richard Sander's stuff is great but my personal choice is still Tabary's DVD and his NEW book.
Hope that helps a little.
Magically,
Ken Winters
Oh, ok. I get what you're saying. No, I knew that. I also have his VHS tapes. What I meant by the cut stuff is that I am looking for enough rope to be able to cut the parts I need for Fiber optics and still have enough left over for Tabary's Routine.
Daryl at http://www.foolerdoolers.com has to be some of the best rope I've used. It's already cored and has a luxurious feel to it. He sells it in bundles of 12ish feet for 6 bucks. .50 a foot, but as long as you're not doing cut and restored effects, you'll love his rope.

Craig
Just ordered my fiber optics video can't wait to see it. It sounds really good.
kevini
Fiber Optics is an excellent rope routine. This is one of those things that even fools magicians. Richard was showing off, and owned us all at the Art of Sleight of Hand Convention. Everyones' jaws were literally on the floor. Highly recommended!!
Hello:

The Fun, Inc. rope that Denny sells is excellent. It's the same size as the Elite rope, but a little softer, which I like better. It's brilliant white, just like the Elite rope. If anyone has Paul Green's DVD, you'll see him using the Fun Inc rope for his rope routine.

Denny is the only one I know of who sells it...and he always runs out of it quickly.

Ron
Sanders is a god. All his DVDs are excellent and Fibre optics is no exception. Very commercial stuff.
I personally enjoy performing Richard Sander's Fiber Optics to audiences and this is one of the most requested rope effects. Richard is an excellent teacher and he has a great sense of humor! In Fiber Optics, Richard integrated many different rope effects for the Fiber Optics routine. I think once you learn the moves, you are to pick up ropes and perform it naturally. I use the deluxe magician's rope at Penguin Magic and the rope is super white with soft texture. However, I think you can get some nice white ropes from Daryl's website and MJM Magic webstore.
Just looking through all the posts on this DVD. Man, this has to go down as one of the best ever. Everybody seems to like it, And so do I.
[quote]
On 2004-11-27 21:59, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Here are a couple more 'downsides'
Some of the moves don't work well 'together' IMO. e.g. starting with professor's nightmare and showing a long rope and a short rope sort of telegraphs later on what the pieces involved are to anyone who thinks about it.
[/quote]

I agree with Nicholas here. The Prof's Nightmare and the "middle/ends" transpositions are both great routines, but when they are combined, the method can be easily deduced by a logical person. It's an excellent DVD, but I prefer the "one rope routine" and I save the Prof's Nightmare for a different show.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Intellectually you may be correct, but really this routine flows so nice that they don't have a chance to intellectualize the process, because they are so amazed by the magic.

I do this all the time (3 rope version) and always get a great reaction with no telegraphing of the underlying method.
Can anyone tell me how this compares to Tabary's FISM act?
So far I've read easier, quicker.
I meant routine wise, not how they teach.
thanks.
Just picked up Richard's DVD. Great stuff. I've only watched about half of it. Does anyone know how he finishes the ends of his rope?
I got this dvd not so long ago,although I haven't started work on it yet I agree with one of the posts above in that I prefer to keep the professors nightmare as a routine on its own and plan on working on the one rope routine as a seperate routine.
That is one of the great things about this DVD and routines. You can pick and choose the phases of the routines you want and make something new, longer or shorter.

I've been doing a double cut and restored rope for a looong time. I really liked the routine but always felt it was a little short. I added part of the one rope routine in the middle and the reactions have been better than I could have hoped for.

For my stage show, I didn't want to use a volunteer so I do the one rope routine with just minor changes.
[quote]
On 2005-05-24 08:55, ldl1017 wrote:
Does anyone know how he finishes the ends of his rope?
[/quote]

I remember him saying that he tucks the ends in with a pen or anything pointy. The first time the ends are tucked in, you'll find that the ends are bigger than usual. They shrink overtime though. AND... remember not to use a pen that can actually write... I learned that the hard way. Now I have white ropes with blue ends.
Would you guys say it is better than Mama Mia Rope Routine?
I've never seen the mama mia routine but fiber optics is an absolute must.
I use the camirand rope. I like that it is a bit stiffer than the fun rope.

I made my own routine with much spectator involvement and that is the key.

Just standing around with yourself lessens the impact.

My routine is based on the "one rope routine" in Fiber Optics
with bits from the best routines out there:

Whit Haydn's
Daryl's
Steve Bedwell's

If you want to know how to put together a great rope routine it must have good spectator interaction, in my opinion. Otherwise you run the risk of appearing like you're just showing off, people's attention might just drift away.

So... to learn the best way to do a rope routine, check out the work of the above routines. Daryl's has the least amount of interaction with spectators, but some nice lines and moves. Whit's has more interaction and nice bits as well. Steve Bedwell's could very well be the best rope routine in terms of pure entertainment value on earth.

I recommend and sell a lot of this affordable routine that will teach you as much about entertaining as it does about comedy and comedy theory.

need more info, let me know.
Frank
To simplify the explanation of the DVD a little more...

Think of the DVD as a series of 16 coin sleights/mini effects using the same two coins. You can use any of the sleights in any order to create a coin flurry - using ropes... from 1 minute to 10 minutes... so think of it as a "ROPE FLURRY" - and you will understand more what this is about - IT IS MORE THAN ONE TRICK... (actually 10/12 mini tricks - so the pace can be fast and furious or slow and serious)

ergo depending on your style no explanation is necessary and it can thus be used as an opener to your knot rope work or not :)
Yeah this DVD is great!!!
Great DVD with gerat routines!

Middle Melt: The middle is plucked from the rope and then restored!
I just say "WOW!!!"
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but penguinmagic.com has a demo of the routine.

There is no reason you shouldnt have this dvd. It is totally visual stuff. I added it to my show within a week. It took me about 4-5 days to master the routine. And its a whole 5 minute act! The audience loves it!

Derek Merdinyan
WOW. I picked up Fiber Optics from The Ambitious Card dot com. Here is the real scoop. I always loved Darylís Rope Routine, but by comparison the elements in Fiber Optics look like special effects done live. They also encouraged me to try other moves that I came up with on my own as a result of being exposed to the moves on this DVD. Last night I added the flash restoration and the Flipís end transposition using Sanders end switch to my own cut and restored rope routine. It eliminated what I found to be a weak point in my routine/handling. My routine required the rope to be cut and restored twice to eliminate the short piece. Now another hallucinatory phase replaces the second cut and restoration. The new routine killed! There's the strength of this DVD, there are elements that even if you don't want to use the routine, will work independently in an existing routine. As for the 3-rope routine and the issue with the short rope, try starting your 3-rope routine with 3 even ropes and ending with 3 different sized ropes. I have been working on different variations and have found this to be very strong.
This is a great dvd
it was my first on rope magic and I used it at a competetion and won with it
the one rope routine is better than professors nightmare, although you need to find a better way of beginning it
but in the ned its great
Is the "momma mia rope routine" another name for Aldo Colombini's "Knotty Knot" or something else?
Al
[quote]
On 2005-05-21 03:42, mc_magi wrote:
Can anyone tell me how this compares to Tabary's FISM act?
So far I've read easier, quicker.
I meant routine wise, not how they teach.
thanks.
[/quote]

At the risk of sounding like a jerk (once again!) I have to say in my humble opinion the Tabary rope material is a LOT more original. I do not own the Sanders, but after reading all the stuff here I checked out the demo, so I am speaking from that. It's very pretty and looks rather straightforward to learn yet looks (to me) pretty much the same as the George Sands or Daryl routines done more quickly and therefore visually. The Tabary routines are really unusual, EXTREMELY beutiful to watch, and to me something much newer. There are some really wonderful moves in Tabary that can be re-combined into different routines, as with the Fiber Optics. He also has some very sweet "extras" like knots and ring and rope.

/ducking!////Brian
I have found the moves taught in fiber optics to be very useful. I have created a variation of the routine. It's a bit more streamlined and I gave it two different ways to patter it: one for kids and the other for adults. I don't normally perform much in the way of rope magic but this is my only exception.
[quote]
On 2005-04-17 09:38, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello:

The Fun, Inc. rope that Denny sells is excellent. It's the same size as the Elite rope, but a little softer, which I like better. It's brilliant white, just like the Elite rope. If anyone has Paul Green's DVD, you'll see him using the Fun Inc rope for his rope routine.

Denny is the only one I know of who sells it...and he always runs out of it quickly.

Ron
[/quote]

Ron,

Does Fun Inc sell this rope? If so, do you have a URL for them? Does anyone sell this rope in 100'-200' rolls? I'd like to buy a large roll of rope and 10'-11' pieces are not what I'm looking for (for cut and restored rope effects).

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Can someone who ordered Fiber Optics from Richard Sanders' site tell me how long it took to receive? I ordered it directly from Sanders on November 4, 2005 and still have not received it yet.
After some months with the dvd (that I got as a gift before leaving London in march 2005) now I decided it would be good to play with ropes. I am a mentalist so I said, "just for fun!"

I had NEVER done rope magic before, even when I was only doing close up and some stage magic. Not that now I do just mentalism, but would I do rope magic after a mind reading show? Right?

So, I watched Mr. Sanders (good as always) doing the routine and tried it out to find that this is very good to perform. It is visual and half as difficult as it looks when you watch for the first time. Some moves do take practice but Im doing this for just one week and all of then are ok. Did for some friends (those people that are tired of magic!) and they liked it a lot.

My rope is not the best one (magicianīs rope I got from a magic shop in US, I think, but cheap one). But I think the routine is so flexible that anyone (even if you do rope magic already) should at least watch the dvd to get ideas.

Apart from that, Richard Sanders has the kind of sense of humour that is easier and better to learn.

Well, I'm a mentalist and very happy to remember that magic is always good!
Just received Fiber Optics from Richard Sanders. Excellent DVD and rope routine. Also, based on recommendations from the forum, I purchased the Magicians Elite Rope from Camirand.

Merry Christmas to All.

Mike
I think I've said it in here before, but that is one of my favorite DVDs. I just love the routine. It was my first and so far only endeavour into rope magic, so I don't know how it compares, but laymen love it if you can perform it well.
I still have one for sale in the dvd for sale section...Make offer....
After all the talking. Here is a performance video. Probably ripped from his DVD.

http://media.putfile.com/Richard-Sanders-Fiber-Optics
I just bought Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy series for Christmas and thinking about getting Fiber Optics.
I think they might compliment eachother.

I have to say that buying from http://www.foolerdoolers.com was a very pleasant experience. I placed an order the Wed. night before Christmas and recieved it in the mail less than 2 days later (Fri. morning) and Daryl even autographed the dvd covers.
Fiber optics is a great DVD. It shows a lot of moves and even if you not use the full routine, you will learn a lot. Most moves are beautifull to watch and you should create your own routine and patter with them.
As a lot of you know Iíve been posting videos recently of my 7 year old son performing magic. Partially because I am very proud of him and partly because itís frustrating for him not being able to perform for real people at the moment and he gets a buzz reading other magicians comments.

Over the last few weeks I put up videos of him doing coin manipulation, card magic, cups and balls and sponge balls. However the fibre optics routine is something very new to him - rope magic. Heís worked on this routine for a long time.

A lot of you will know Richard Sanders Fibre Optics routine. Itís very tricky and lots of phases and when Ryland started he hadnít done rope magic before.

I think heís done an amazing job and wanted to share this. Let me know what you think as he reads everyoneís comments. And if you like it please subscribe to his channel. It would mean the world to him.

Thanks everyone.

https://youtu.be/NKT64wX9E18