(Close Window)
Topic: Best Trick With a Thumb Tip....
What do you think is the best trick with a TT?
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Sep 5, 2004 09:41AM)
1. Dean Dill's Sweet n' Dough- very clever effect.
2. $100.00 Bill change (w/ mismade bill; Ammar's method)
3. I pull a rainbow silk streamer from a borrowed bill, then put it back into the bill.
Although you can perform many effects with a TT the best has to be a bill change.
John Carney's vanishing salt shaker!

Mike
The Vanishing/Reappearing handkerchief.
One of my favourite close up tricks.
Michael.
Mismade Bill, and the sleeper by Johnny Ace Palmer called the 3 Colored Silks.
There are so many.

Cig in Jacket
Silk vanish and restore - still a very strong effect when performed well.
Card float.
Dlights
Goldfish
Salt
Ring on silk
Burnt and restored

Paula
I agree the TT is a very versatile device if used properly. Could be useful for many types of magic from close-up to stage.
Get Salvano's video and learn to fool with a TT.
[quote]
On 2004-09-05 14:55, mike gallo wrote:

Mike
[/quote]

Mike,
Can you give me a reference for this?

Thanks,
Bob
This may sound silly, but is the Bill Switch in Michael Ammar's book? Where else would I find it? I know the basics but have never really worked with it. Since I just moved and am still unpacking I can't get to all of my magic books right now, so I can't check myself.

Thanks
Shawn
[quote]

Mike
[/quote]

...what the heck???
[quote]
On 2004-09-07 02:23, Frank Starsini wrote:
[quote]

Mike
[/quote]

...what the heck???

[/quote]Hehehe. You didn't catch it? MG was just kidding...wanna bet?? :)
No, I'm not kidding...John Carney's vanishing salt shaker is in my opinion the best trick using a T.T.!!! It's in an old set of his notes...sorry, can't remember which ones though.

Mike
[quote]
On 2004-09-06 20:43, Pete Biro wrote:
Get Salvano's video and learn to fool with a TT.
[/quote]Exactly...the best use for a TT is when it is NOT on the thumb. :) Or to rephrase, only for a second during a routine.

I--my loss--never used it earlier, but had developed a handling where it doesn't start in place but is on the middle finger curled inside the hand and is switched during the display of a (rather larger looking, diamond shaped) silk from hand to hand in a natural action.

It's later only for a very short time in place, during the steal from *behind*--NOT from the top--and immediately disposed again *at another position*.

Actually I developed that handling way back in the 1980's, but only fooled around with it for magicians; I never did it for laypeople.

NOW I do, because suddenly I got that great idea/line of patter, after the hanky is pooked inside my hand and 4 inches withdrawn:
"Did you hear that?" (Gesture with the free right to the ear, hand behind ear.)
"Pschht...the elastic broke."
Point at the wrist staring with a cutting guesture of the right forefinger. Also, while explaining I normally have an elastic going up my arm, back down my shoulders and to my right trousers pocket.

"It broke...I can't do that trick'. "I'll do another one."
Right hand at cheek, looking disappointed.
"Oh...I don't know any other tricks."

Maybe you get the idea...

I really play this up. It is impossible to describe the rest, but I assure you it does get great responses.

It's just *the vansihing silk*, but the handling is more interesting and much more deceptive.

After the filled TT is again *loaded* into the left hand it gestures with the forefinger, pointing upwards and explaining that, "this isn't easy, this isn't easy, because without the elastic, one can't vanish a silk out of the hand." Hereby the right forefinger is stretched and pointing. It goes along the left forearm starting at the wrist, where the TT is stolen out of the left by the right middle finger--during that guesture--then the left is shown empty forth and back and again loaded with the filled TT. The right gestures to the right.

Well, it sounds crazy, but I assure you the handling is deceptive; one can't see or sense the steals at any time--magicians might sense them, but not see them. Laymen don't.

Hope I have a chance one day to show you this...it is a gem.

One more: the silk is inside the TT at the start 3 inches of it protruding and the whole thingy in my right trousers pocket.

I reach inside the pocket with the right, grabbing the TT inside the (almost) closed fist. They only see the hand coming out with the silksnip protruding. The left immediately grabs that snip and withdraws the silk. The second it clears the right fist the right middle finger is inserted in the TT.
Immediately the silk is stroked by the right and hereby the TT is transferred to the left.

Well, that last sentence was to clarify that by using that simple preparation, that routine is always ready and easily reset. It is simply: silk inside the TT in the pocket.
It doesn't take space and the silk doesn't conflict with other stuff in the pocket like it would when NOT being inserted already in the TT.

It is a gem!

[quote]
On 2004-09-07 03:10, mike gallo wrote:
No, I'm not kidding...John Carney's vanishing salt shaker is in my opinion the best trick using a T.T.!!! It's in an old set of his notes...sorry, can't remember which ones though.

Mike
[/quote]You never fail to amaze me. :)
I really thought you were kidding. :)
I use Jay Scott Berry's Eclipse: a special TT with a secret opening.
Johnny Ace Palmer's Three Magical Scarves!

Joe
I like Cellini's color-changing hank trick.

I love J. Scott Berry's stuff.

Never spent so much on a lecture in my life. Phew!
I have a silk vanish from my hand and reappear inside a purse. Then I make it vanish again to have it reappear inside an "invisible purse" (purse frame). I patter about the first magician I ever saw who did this trick. It's a slow paced routine with some kind of sentimental mood.
I think I read somewhere that Houdini used a TT when he made an elephant vanish at the Hippodrome.
That is my favorite TT effect!
Iven :patty:
No problem... The problem is ditching it in the trousers pocket. :)
Lit match disappear.
[quote]
On 2004-09-08 07:27, kihei kid wrote:
Lit match disappear.
[/quote]Sorry, but that thingy is what I call:
Small time magic. :(
OTOH...I well know that everything I know is wrong. :)
[quote]
On 2004-09-07 03:09, mike gallo wrote:

Mike
[/quote]

And here I thought this was a variation on the old joke about the guy going into the magic shop and asking for The Vanishing Hankerchief. And the next week, he comes in and buys Water From a Dollar. And the following week, he asks how Houdini vanished the elephant. "And don't tell me it's another thumb tip!!"
[quote]
On 2004-09-07 01:35, Shawn74 wrote:
This may sound silly, but is the Bill Switch in Michael Ammar's book? Where else would I find it? I know the basics but have never really worked with it. Since I just moved and am still unpacking I can't get to all of my magic books right now, so I can't check myself.

[/quote]

Ammar has a handling of the TT bill switch of pg. 227 of "Magic of Michael Ammar."

There's also an incredible handling using a soft TT on pg. 49 of "Roger Klause in Concert."
Cut and restored rope!

Jessie
I'm a pyro lover. I love vanishing lit cigeretts. If I had the set-up done then I love doing to lit cigarette to rope from the Tarbell vol. 2.
Burn and restored silk.

In Magic
Steve Dela
I like Visi-Bill a lot.
It's easy and visual!
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Sep 13, 2004 02:41AM)
I like David Williamson's salt routine off his second tape.
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Sep 13, 2004 03:54PM)
As simple as it may be, at parties and clubs, I always love to "put out" a lit cigarette in my bare hand and then make it vanish. Really catches them off guard before moving on to my routine. :)
Producing a silk from the air, then changing the silk into a dollar bill.
Anyone try vanishing a coin into one?
Hi! garcia00. You can check Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Money Miracles Volume.
You can find the trick called "41 - Cent Miracle." It's wonderful.
[quote]
On 2004-09-09 09:12, Kenn Capman wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-09-07 01:35, Shawn74 wrote:

[/quote]

Ammar has a handling of the TT bill switch of pg. 227 of "Magic of Michael Ammar."

There's also an incredible handling using a soft TT on pg. 49 of "Roger Klause in Concert."
[/quote]

Shawn74,

The bill switch is also in Michael Ammar's "Encore 3" book and is called the "Klause's Bill Switch."

Mike
Thumb tip blendo into mini flag
DO you know if you can get the 41 cent from Michael Ammar in print?
The venerable... stretch your thumb :(
Sometime a while back I presented pushing a sponge ball into a silk from which it disappears.

Later I visited Al Goshman's booth at the convention. I mentioned the trick.

Then he said, "Oh, that's why everyone wants to by a tip and a sponge ball."

I have done that in walk around. I have been told I can't do another trick until I do that trick again.

I think what makes it strong is the ball disappears and the hands are not touching the ball.
I like that.. it would seem to have a visual effect.
Vanish about five pennies and a dime.
[quote]On Sep 9, 2004, Jessie Altamirano wrote:
Cut and restored rope!

Jessie [/quote]
If you want to save on using up too much rope--the thumb tip is the best way to go.
The method you use to perform the trick is not the important thing, the audience don't see that. It's the routine that counts.
Slydini, in his book uses the thumb tip for the cut and restored rope. The tip is stolen away as he goes for the scissors.
Tricky Ricky
I use a tt with a card index affixed to the nail to create an "instant stooge" along with a crystal to demonstrate a mind reading effect. (Of course, the card is forced.)

It's easy to dispose of the tt and leave the crystal untended for curious onlookers to peruse if they are so inclined.

Julie
Matt Mello put out a great effect using the TT with a lady on stage. Matt is a Genius and his thinking out the box is what I like about this routine.
Tricky Ricky
I find working the corporate strolling market for 20yrs, the Bill Switch is the most requested biggest reaction effect done with lots of comedy routine...
I like to do an effect where I load a billet into an envelope as a prediction with the tt.
Whats the larges realistic hard thumb tip.for my rope routine.
Watched Jay Sankey at Blackpool few years ago.Where he got a spectator to write his name on a piece of paper.He folded it up and blew on it,when he unfolded it the name on the paper was SANKEY.Its on his front row dvd.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2021, wally wrote:
Whats the larges realistic hard thumb tip.for my rope routine. [/quote]

Thank "longest." In addition to any desire to sneak away the evidence, the TT can be used to mask the rope connect in the palm

After the cut, the two rope segments can be shown to be separate (hanging as two separate ropes)
by using the TT to cover the connecting loop(s) with casual swing of the hand that "confirms" that the rope was cut.

In my RemCut routine I use this TT mask technique to mask an apparent showing of separate ends of a rope after a knot is untied. i.r
the rope is shown to have two ends even though it is actually a joined loop.

A TT can be used in ways having nothing to do with what fits inside.
Aaron Fisher, Adam Grace and Alex Slemmer over at the Conjurer Community YouTube page did a whole 50+ minute video on their take on this just last year. Like most of their stuff, well worth watching. [url=https://youtu.be/JzFrVQJqnZg]Best Thumb Tip Magic Tricks[/url]