(Close Window)
Topic: Best pocket trick for restaurants/bars
Hi Everyone.
What is your best/favourite pocket trick for restaurants or bars?
Thanks.
Michael
Bending a spectators signed quarter
A deck of cards.

Shane Wiker
Sponge balls

Is that an affliction?

LOL

Paula
Any card trick, but probably packet wise, hmmm. It would be a 3-card Monte, or Color Monte.
Crazy man's handcuffs
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Sep 6, 2004 12:01AM)
Jiggernaut is great at the bar.
Look at the secret forum, I put up a routine I have done for years at the bar. Its a coin bend routine btw

tpdmagic
TT for vanishing a lit cigarette, folding quarter for coin in bottle, or just a deck for card under drink/ ambitious card.
Color Changing Pocket Knives
Rattle Box
Pen Thru Bill
ITR/Loops
M5/Raven
Spongeballs
ID
TT
Coins,...lots of it.. :)
Best pocket trick?

Well seeing how all "best of..." topics are so subjective, I'll say 4 coins. You can do a lot with 4 coins :)

Chris
TT numerous effects packs small...I love it...
Ambitious Card or card to wallet.
Papermate or Bic pen for "Re-capped" or coin in pen cap. Some change or coins (like Chris Berry mentioned).
A tip if you want to do a bill switch or some vanishing effect, sponge balls as already mentioned (not the disorder, see Paulajayne for that) just a few possibilities .

GlenD
CMH followed by Pinnacle/Rhing Thing ending with a Busted Whammy - WOW! rubberband magic with ring up close and in your face - nothing as powerful as this combo exists!!!! reduces CMH to a quick opener...

Rubber bands were invented for this... :)

Lots of stuff with a 6 card packet, coins/bic/paper balls even a voodoo blister effect :)

All powerful and different without a full pack of cards in sight :)
3 ring circus.
My favorite "pocket trick" is the one where you pull out your pocket and leave it hanging out, then all of a sudden it crawls back inside by itself!
:rotf:
Ha-ha

But serious, I like to carry around 4 half dollars and just a deck of cards. Hours can be spent with those 5 objects.
Shaun
My current new favorites are micro chop cup (performed in the hand) and It's the Rules by Bob Sheets, a sach's style dice routine.
:angel:
If there happens to be an unused spoon at the table and it doesn't upset the management a spoon bending routine is great.
Bending spoon works great for me because I'll likely do about 2 to 3 bends for them all different of course,(usually two) but that is to confuse em so and you can go to the dollar store and buy spoons for about $1.00 for a half doz and have a whole week of performances or just a good night of em
I will say that the Master's Time Machine is the ultimate. It's not a pocket trick though. It's a wrist trick, but it's always with me and ready for a miracle. And even drunk people at the bar will have to admit they like it. They can still understand time. Even in low light people can see your watch, too.

yours,
Scott
All man, las vegas leaper seems to work well with drunk chicks, I'm not making this into a joke but I usually ask them after the first 3 cards has crossed, instead of holding the cards to there heart, I just tell still to put it in the front side of there brawl

8/10 times it works : )

if they look offended I tell them I was kidding
Twisting the Aces/Dr. Daley's last trick although I also have to say sponge balls and CMH handcuff are great.
Masters Time Machine.

Deck of Cards.

Any fork bending routine.
[quote]
On 2004-09-08 12:24, ShaunRobison wrote:
My favorite "pocket trick" is the one where you pull out your pocket and leave it hanging out, then all of a sudden it crawls back inside BY ITSELF!!!!
:rotf:
Ha-ha

But serious, I like to carry around 4 half dollars and just a deck of cards. Hours can be spent with those 5 objects
Shaun
[/quote]

Actually, Johnny Ace Palmer does this (he teaches it on one of his videos).
I'd have to say Emerson and West's "Color Monte". But, I usually just stick to a regular deck of cards. Also good is Simon Aronson's "Ringleader".
Vagabond Card by Bill Pryor

http://wrightdesigns.com/magic/

You can download a copy of his catalog

Ron
Carrying TT and itloop on your wrist will do miracles
Impossible prediction BY John George or it's precursor by Max Maven which I can't recall the name of, all you need is a business card and a coin, and it kills!

Kelly
Paul Wilson's Gypsy Monte. Works for adults as well as children, patter's great, and there aren't a lot of moves to it.
Crazy mans handcuffs is a sure fire winner. It's quick, it's simple, and people freak with effects with ordinary objects.
Color monte
mismade bill
I'll take my Copper/Silver routine anywhere- it's a can't miss winner and packs small...

-Jared
For the bar (loud and crowdy) I tend to stick to fast and visual routines like the $100 dollar bill switch, Slow Burn, pen through.., mental bending coin/spoon, muscle pass, Loop animations or CMH.

-e-
Floating a dollar or a napkin with the LeClair Animator!

Gotta be the perfect Bar trick!

Poppa Jim Mitchell
http://www.toys-n-art.com
Posted: Sep 26, 2004 10:19pm
-------------------------------------------------
Oh Yeah,
Follow that floating bill/napkin by pulling a flaming business card (Hot-Leads) and you've really made a memory for at least 1 poor drunk!

heheheheh

Poppa Jim Mitchell
http://www.toys-n-art.com
[quote]
On 2004-09-05 18:02, Shane Wiker wrote:
A deck of cards.

Shane Wiker
[/quote]

Hard to argue with that, Shane. For sheer amount of entertainment POTENTIAL that can be wrung out of one item, it is hard to beat the lowly deck of cards.

From an "Oh my Gawd!!!" standpoint, I would have to say something with IT is right up there at the top. Haunted Deck, Acrobatic Matchbox, Rising Ring on Straw, Floating Dollar Bill or Floating Napkin or even just moving a fork slightly on the table can cause some people to "get religion".

From an "I never leave home without it" standpoint, I'd have to include Sponge Balls, Hot Rod, Color Changing Knives, Ring on Rope, a TT, a piece of rope and a few rubberbands.

But, getting back to the request for a "best" or "favorite", I have to go with "a deck of cards".

Mike
Well, Sankey's Holey Moley is pretty solid, but there's little out there that beats a good sponge ball routine and CMH. Chop Cup also comes to mind as solid entertainment as does Amadeo's Acrobatic Matchbox.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
As far as possible, I prefer to use the materials around me. So if I'm in a bar, I'd do a torn and restored cocktail napkin in preference to getting out a deck or cards (or even a packet trick).

Ripping up a beermat and finding money in it always goes down well (though sometimes not with the bar owner, if the punters start ripping up the other mats looking for cash).

Pushing a straw through my chin so that it sticks out inside my mouth is fun (takes a tiny bit of prep, but only good with straws in a single colour, and best if they aren't the bendy kind).

If the bar gives out books of matches, you're on solid ground, because there's a load of stuff that can be done with those. (Sadly, they aren't commonplace in NZ where I now live - lost a big chunk of prospective act right there!)

The Great Tomsoni's Bottle Through Table, if you can pull it off. (I've performed this several times as a vanish, with the - marked - bottle turning up somewhere else, e.g. behind the spectator, or behind the bar.)

If you have to get the cards out, Heba Haba Al's Card Under Glass is great.
My favourite fro close up are:
sponge balls.
fire wallet (for opening).
hopping half.
pen thru any
coin
bendix wallet 9card to wallet, esy to do.

all is the best and audience tested by me. always get good reaction.
Another one for Jay Sankey's Holey Moley,this is my favourite effect at the moment, very simple but very strong.
Sponge Balls or Bunnies Get the best reaction!
Color Monte is a very good trick! The final card revelation is a real shocker
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jan 29, 2005 09:26PM)
One of my favorite strolling tricks: Double Back by Jon Allen. Audience participation, stunning transposition in specs hands. Instant reset.
Sol Stone has a wonderful effect in Quick and Casual Close-Up. I think it is called the worlds greatest chaperone.

Peace,
Rannie
Message: Posted by: TommyTheTremendous (Jan 31, 2005 07:42PM)
I am with Shaun on this one. Some half-dollars and a deck of cards can last for hours. I also keep quadriflex and the 2 and 3 card monte in my wallet at all times since they don't take up hardly any room and fit nicely.
Pyro perception is a good one too. People always drop their jaws..
Sponge balls is always good with the kids.
Rubberband magic is great
Could sum1 help me please?! is there such affect as telling people there star sign? if so do you know where I could get the information? ive heard its called stargazer is that correct?
Super Sharpie is a great one. Go up to anyone ask a number 1-100, they think of it, before you ask them for a number you predict what the number will be, and your always right. Can be done over and over again, if performed properly.
Reviving an old thread ...
all take little pocket space, and are repeatable with no set up, and with different outcome ...
"Badlands Bob" dice mystery
"LED monte" no cards, using battery and small LEG finger-held lights
"Fast and Loose", ingenious gambling routine, much fun with this one
I used to carry around some jokers to perform a B'Wave blue/red effect. Thought it was a good use of leftover jokers. Even made a small card box to hold them.
Stand up monte and twisted sister get great reactions.
Sponge balls works for adults too. I have had grown men trip out on them and my wait staff constantly asks me to perform it for them and get blown away every time.
Here's a few performed in real time for real spectators

https://youtu.be/EB0rKGexxQ4
Hi Matthew,

I really enjoyed watching your street performances... great job! I especially loved the reactions of your volunteers when you divined their mother's maiden name. Anyone interested in performing street magic could learn A LOT from watching you. Thanks for posting the link.

Regards, Steve
Teach the guy how to make a napkin rose and spray it with perfume so he can offer it to his lady

Fire wallet "found on the floor" : "is this yours? "
and then do and extreme burn from burnt bills to brand new 100$
[quote]On Sep 2, 2017, yachanin wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I really enjoyed watching your street performances... great job! I especially loved the reactions of your volunteers when you divined their mother's maiden name. Anyone interested in performing street magic could learn A LOT from watching you. Thanks for posting the link.

Regards, Steve [/quote]

Agreed, great work! :)

As for me, a few coins and a deck of cards most days is more than enough. But always like doing Sankey's "Holey Moly" and "Leaving Home" to break up things a bit. :)
GREAT stuff ! Is the 'maiden name' thing for sale ?
Old thread but still, I would add Dizzy Dominoes.