(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Wands
I always keep my eye out for decent Magic Wands. Those plastic things with white tips just ain't my style, nor are those crystal and fairy laden things they sell in New Age shops. There are some decent sellers of finely crafted magic wands that can be located on eBay.

But I just found a very good looking prop reproduction of wands from Harry Potter at.

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catid=21

These are some fine and detailed looking pieces from what I can see. Just wanted to pass along an opportunity.

And just curious, how do you feel about wands in your performance? From my view, quality wands have become more accessible and have more awareness - likely thanks to Ms. Rowling and increased visibility of Paganism in general. Because of this, I am much more inclined to use them in appropriate performance pieces than previously.
I've used a wand in Bizarre performances quite a lot, but it's nothing more than a stick with runes burned into it. Because of my character and style (arcane investigator showing objects that have powers) it is the focus of the routine, and not necessarily used to wave over something to cause magic to happen.

However, wands do of course have a valid place in performances as things used to focus power, because they have been thought of as such for thousands of years.

I agree with you re: white tipped wands or too-fancy ones. I like to keep it simple.

Adam
Adam,

To me, what you are using is best! In the days of old, mages were not into polish and brass. The book of runes suggests that casters first used twigs with runes burned into them and cast them on the ground. I think you are right on target!

Red,

I have a really weird wand, brass with crystals. At each end the Egyptian god Bast sits at the top on a throne and just up fron center is an eye. I found it at a Ren. Fest. Haven't see anything like it before!

Magickman
I have a Charkra wand, for the magic with meaning (positive bizarre magick?) that I got off of ebay. It's a long crystal with smaller, different coloured ones fixed on it. On ebay, they go pretty cheap.

Liam.
I have found several that I like to use, among them some wooden "hair picks", about 8' long, with a nice grip at one end, as well as an interesting one made of horn with a spatulate grip, and some small metal dot inlays.

I find that they are useful to think of them as "insulated pointers" for some of my effects, where the "magic" might be too strong for mortal fingers to touch, or I do not want my "energies" to pollute what we are trying to do...<push the object towards the spectator with the wand tip> YOU pick it up.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Sep 15, 2004 08:02PM)
My wife and I both have wands in the Harry Potter style from Alivan's Wandmakers. These come complete with carrying bags and storage boxes.

My wife's is an 11" holly wand modeled after the Harry Potter wand. Mine is a custom 13" wand of birch.

The website:

alivans.com

I recommend them.

Steve
:cups:
I had mine custom-made (solid ebony with a sterling silver band separating the hilt and the blade) by a talented craftsman who operates an ebay store called Wand Shoppe. He does lovely work at a more than fair price.

Best,

Neil

P.S. Tell George that I sent you. :)
I have one in the Harry Potter style that's terrific. It's my first formal wand (i.e. not plastic) and really helps the effects seem more authentic.
:bat:
Montz is quite correct. Go on Ebay and type in magic wands. Everything from wooden to mineral wands.
Try Any "New Age" store (wiccanway.com) for perfect "earthy" wands, you can also use a long quartz crystal (known as a pencil wand) for a wand too. Personally I make my own wands from tree branches, but check these sites out:

http://www.wiccanway.com/wands.html

http://www.wiccanway.com/wwritwnd012.html

-- Krossbearer
Bast, pronounces Bah-oh-st, is an Egyptian cat goddess. You could work that into a routine with your wand I think.
In case you are interested the July 2004 issue of Magic magazine has a great article (by Mike Caveney) on the wands used by famous magicians. There are some beautiful wands pictured with a brief history of each.
Some look as if they could have once belonged to Merlin himself.
Everyone should really check out the Crystal Venetian Wand. Its available directly from Viking Manufacturing or Stevens Magic.
It looks absolutely stunning in the photos. I just ordered one. Its also geared up for some pretty neat PK type effects.
Simon
Alivan's site has some wonderful looking products. I believe that I'll purchase one of theirs (or 3) and also check about getting something made @ the Wand Shoppe.

Azrael
You guys really need to read Joe Lantier's book on wands. It's really quite good, and gives the history of wands from a perspective that you would appreciate. Great history and great inspiration.

Mark
[quote]
You guys really need to read Joe Lantier's book on wands. It's really quite good, and gives the history of wands from a perspective that you would appreciate. Great history and great inspiration.
[/quote]

lastnitesfun:

I agree that this is an excellent book. In my opinion, it should be read be EVERY magician who uses a magic wand. For many, the magic wand is real religious tool and deserves respect. Here's a link to where you can purchase Joe's book.

http://members.aol.com/Lantiere/owm.htm

Oh yea, there is a picture of the magic wand I currently use in the book.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
Totally! I picked up the book from Joe. It really reveals some very interesting things about the relationship of wands and the symbols everyone recognizes today like the typical Doctor's Logo.
If you desire a customized wand and budget is not a major concern, then consider the talents of Master wand maker Thomas Wayne.

Thomas can be reached directly at: twcues@ptialaska.net

He is an excellent communicator, and will work hard to craft whatever type of wand you envision.

Thomas is also a frequent and knowledgeable poster on the Magic Café.

Samples of his wands can be viewed on Bill Palmer's amazing Cups and Balls Museum site at: http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com

If budget is a real concern, then consider Tabman. He is another Mater craftsman of wands with an excellent reputation. His site can be found at: http://tabmantables.com and he can be e-mailed at: tabman@questx.com

Joe Porper is a third and highly respected maker of custom-crafted wands (I don't have Joe's e-mail handy, but I'm sure that Pete Biro could help you to track Joe down.

Jake Zimmerman, VP of Rings N Things II plans to produce a metal shafted wand (silver or black) with synthetic tips that will provide a lighter touch to the delicate finish to some of the more costly cups on the market.
Jake's e-mail is: qsengraving@verizo His web site is: http://www.rnt2.com

As mentioned, the above are highly respected names in the specialized field of customization and wand-making. From personal experience, I can also assure you that the talented individuals above are all a ture pleasure to communicate with, readily giving of their time and thought to solve your particular challenge of customization.

You might also appreciate the following Magic Café discussion on Wands at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=103795&forum=115&start=0

All the best.

Jonathan
If you're on a pretty strict budget (like I am), I'd suggest following kaytracy's suggestion and searching out those hair-chopstick things. I found a bin of 'em at the local New Age paraphenalia shop and, after a bit of digging, found a really nice one that, singly, doesn't conjure up images of hair pinning (or Harry Potter) at all. Paid $3.50 for two, so it's substantially cheaper than ordering a "real" wand. Your mileage may, of course, vary, but I'm pretty happy with it.

-- Jake
Just received my customized Thomas Wayne wand.

Ebony shaft, with a delicate touch Abalone. It has the delicate/elegant look that I sought.

Thrilled to have it.

As mentioned, Thomas is a Master craftsman with excellent communication skills to boot.

Thanks Thomas!

Jonathan
[quote]
On 2004-09-12 05:39, adamjames wrote:
Because of my character and style (arcane investigator showing objects that have powers) it is the focus of the routine, ..
Adam
[/quote]

Adam, I don't know if that idea is original to you or not, but either way, that's brilliant ! That is an ingenious approach to presentation. It makes me think a bit of the ol' TV series, "Friday the 13th". I used to watch that faithfully. Curious Goods indeed.
Frankly I like that even better than being a "passive" or "victim" magician, a channel if you will.
If you're looking for the best wand available, look no further than yourself; for the best wand for a magician is the same as the best staff for a wizard: only the wizard himself can create his own wand.

-Christian
In the early spring well before the Vernal Equinox, I take my students on a trek into the forest to find their wands. During the winter, the trees give up their gifts and drop them on the forest floor (no cutting of live trees!). When someone one sees a wand in a fallen branch, we say that the wand has called out to them.

Then we take back our branches and gather on the next night of the full moon to begin carving them into their final form. Each wand maker is encouraged to put a piece of himself or herself into the finished wand (a piece of hair, etc.).

The wands are only carved at night and are covered up by day until the Vernal Equinox itself. Then each wand maker, in a grand ceremony of wizards and witches, uncovers his wand in the sunlight and dedicates himself or herself to doing only good magic with the wand creation.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
One could, of course use an Athaeme (dagger) instead of a wand.
regards
Francis
Can anyone give an idea how to use a magic wand? it is more of a props or sometimes it use in routine showing that it manifest some powers?
Ohhhhh...not a simple question. Without going into the whole symbolic part and sticking to the quick and practacle, a wand is one of the best tools short of an explosion somewhere else to direct attention of spectators. You could be naked and dancing a jig, but when you whip out a wand (don't ask from where - Peter I'm leaving you an easy one) and point it at something - THAT"S where they are going to look. Period. Also, you could be palming a struggling hamster (also...don't ask) if it's in the wand hand, then that will help cover it.

There are routines that use a wand as an incidental prop, but outside this forum you won't find many - and I'm sure some of us have routines that are built around a special wand (I have 2).

Azrael

(Peter, be gentle)
I don't like plastic wands either, but H.P. ones looked really cool!
I wanted to drop everyone a note about the “Harry Potter's Wand” currently being sold by Nobel Collection.

1) This is not a working wand. It isn't even a toy. It is an EXTREMELY fragile composite of wood and ceramic. The wooden piece (used as the tip of the wand) terminates within the ceramic about on inch above the handle (it does not continue through the handle). You could not have picked a weaker spot to stop the wood if you tried. Looks great but is an extremely poor design. The first day I dropped the wand onto the floor and it snapped in half.

2) I called the company and they said they sell 'collectables' and would not replace the item or refund the money.

No place in the literature does it state that this is an extremely fragile wand, subject to breakage. It is presented as “An authentic recreation of the famous wizard's wand featured in the movie”. I seriously doubt that the wand in the movie broke every time it was dropped.

I feel the company didn't provide sufficient information to make an informed decision. If I had known how fragile this item was I wouldn't have touched it with a 10' (appearing) pole.

Guarantee & Returns Policy (COPIED FROM THEIR WEB SITE)
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it within 30 days of receipt to receive a refund or exchange. Items must be sent back in original packaging. Please insure the merchandise for the full value of the item(s) for your protection since returned damaged merchandise will not be honored. Please note that shipping charges are not refundable.

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY GUESSED, I'M EXTREMLY DISSATISFIED WITH THIS PURCHASE!
I recently got two wands from an excellent artisan who came to wand crafting from a background in fine furnituremaking.

Highly recommended: http://www.FortressWands.com

Best,
Neil
Great site, Neil...

I ordered a wand made by Master Bill Palmer himself...what a rare gem...an heriloom methinks...
I use a 14 inch wand with red caps and for misderection and a shrink wrap around the fiber glass rod. Pictures coming soon. Its very durable and easy to spin. Costs only a few bucks too, (home made)
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I actually prefer the simple black/white wands. They are instantly recognizable by most folks in the audience, with no need to explain what it is. I'm presently using el cheapo hollow plastic 11" wands, which I get by the dozen from Royal Magic (Fun, Inc.). They are also available from most magic dealers.

I have a set of brass Cups & Balls, and find that they ring very nicely and loudly when struck with a plastic wand -- and with no dents or scratches in the cups, either.

But what I'd really like is a solid plastic wand, which would be a bit sturdier and heavier. At one time I had a beautiful solid catalin wand, but have lost it over the years. Anybody have any sources? SETH
Your local plastics shop in any decent sized city will have whatever you want. I'm always amazed when I go into Nashville to Plastic Supply Co. the array of different rods, sheets and shapes available in all kinds of colors and degrees of translucency. A veritable idea factory. You'll get a ton of ideas.

-=tabman
Sethb,

I am like you in that I prefer the traditional looking wands best. I found some solid, "lucite" wands at a magic shop years ago. I'm not sure which shop it was, but they were solid, and black in color. They had prism paper stuck around each end for the tips. I took the prism off, sanded each end a little, and painted the tips white. They have a nice, heavy feel to them and I like the way they handle.

If you don't mind the extra work of painting the tips, you might find some solid, plastic wands with the prism paper like I described.

Regan
The Dancing Wand by Losander is an excellent choice.
http://www.losander.com
Watch a online video with Losander Dancing Wand :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Iflz8IjJw