(Close Window)
Topic: I hate the search funtion.!!!
The search function for me never ever ever works! Why is this? It doesn't even look/act like it's trying.
Jordini, the search function works fine. If you can give us an example of what you are trying to search for, we might be able to determine why you are having the problem.
Well, when I use the Café quicksearch, the screen goes to the "searching" window, but never gives me any results, it just stays on that "searching" screen. When I use advanced search, I get an error message that I need to type in a keyword or member name. The problem is, I already have typed in a key word, but yet, it's not registering.
I've also had this happen to me.
Not constantly but it does happen.
Yesterday I typed "halloween" in Advanced search and got the same error message. Quick searches didn't find some common keywords.

Later I tried again and it was fine.
The quicksearch does take a little longer than the advanced search based on the number of inquiries and searches the data base is handling at any given time.

Jordini, can you give me some examples of words you've tried to search on? Remember, all the words have to be more that 3 letters in length.

Jazz, I tried searching on Halloween both with quicksearch and with the advanced. Quicksearch took almost 2 full minutes to retrieve while the advanced took 1 minute. In both cases, a total of 29 pages were displayed.
[quote]
On 2004-09-28 15:43, Jordini wrote:
Well, when I use the Café quicksearch, the screen goes to the "searching" window, but never gives me any results, it just stays on that "searching" screen. When I use advanced search, I get an error message that I need to type in a keyword or member name. The problem is, I already have typed in a key word, but yet, it's not registering.
[/quote]

Same here. I nearly always use the Advanced search function. Quite often, I'll enter my search string and start the search, and the screen changes to the search screen ("You will be forwarded to the results in a moment"), but nothing happens. I know I'm wasting my time if I don't see a progress bar advancing at the bottom of the screen. So I bail out by clicking on "click HERE to return to the search form", I enter the search string again, and it always works the second time.

-Dan
I entered charming chinese challenge, and nothing came up, so I entered chinese challenge, and nothing came up, and I entered chinese and nothing came up.
This sounds like you are having trouble with your server. I did a search using your examples with the following results.

Charming chinese Chanllenge results in 35 seconds 6 pages

chinese challenge results in 65 seconds 7 pages

chinese results in 2 seconds 82 pages.

The speed is dependant on the number of members on line and the number of querries being submitted but I wouldn't say 35 to 65 seconds is bad for the most part.
I couldn't even get the search started though. Oh well. I found what I was looking for regardless.
When I searched for "jc wagner", it told me that my keyword needed to be a minimum of 3 letters. It also gave me the same result when I searched for "mentally by two". I did not use quotes in the search BTW.
It's [i]supposed[/i] to give you that error message when you put in keywords that are less than three characters.
Here is the problem: if you put in your search request and hit Enter, you will get the screen telling you it's searching, and that's all. It doesn't really search. But, if you click on "Go" instead, then it actually does the search. I think this has been a problem since its inception.

-Eric
Eric, thanks for the input however, both methods will retrieve the searched for data. I used the example Jordini gave with Charming Chinese and using the begin search and the enter key both returned the results in less a minute.
Re: "I know I'm wasting my time if I don't see a progress bar advancing at the bottom of the screen."

I'm not an expert, but progress bars on web pages are probably harder to implement than on non-browser applications (or web pages that don't use plug-ins), especially where database queries are concerned so I wouldn't necessarily use this as an indicator that things aren't working.
Lately I find it works great for me. it must have been improved in the upgrade.
Beetroot:

Thanks for the comment.

I'm far from an expert on progress bars and web pages. My evidence is purely anecdotal. When I don't see the progress bar (not just not advancing, but not there at all), waiting doesn't help, so I just start again.

-Dan
I've noticed the progress bar issue as well. If I enter search criteria and IE shows a progress bar in the status toolbar, a result will appear. If no progress bar appears, it won't. This isn't an implementation of the forum or db query, but something to do with IE still waiting for data or it's received all the data it's gonna get.

Also, I've noticed as noted above, quicksearches are far more likely to succeed if I use the go button as opposed to pressing enter.

-Jason
Ok, so here's the deal. When I typed my key word into the search box (on the upper lefthand corner of the Café, right where the green box stops) and hit the "GO" button (NOT ENTER) but the "GO" button, everthing worked JUST fine. So that's the key, just hit the "GO" button and everything should work.
It's a browser issue. Not every browser handles everything the same way as others do. For example, the search function uses a "refresh" meta tag. Some browsers (including IE) can be set to ignore meta refreshes, and even if set sometimes do not read the meta anyway. So, depending on your browser and settings, search may or may not work when using the Quicksearch. For those having problems with Quicksearch, and more importantly, the main search page, bookmark this version:

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/search2.php

This one does not use the refresh meta. This is not the "final" answer, but it will help those having browser problems with the main search interface.
Thanks Gene,

But I'm afraid this hasn't helped me very much. I have the same problem as the others, with the search engine working some 6 times out of ten for me. If there's anything else I can do please let me know!

I also think the minimum/restricted character search criteria is a pain, as abbreviations are so often used in the posts (S&S, C/S, etc). But the rest of the site is so well constructed I'm happy to live with it. :)
I have tried to use the search function, only on quick search, left it for 15 mins to search.....nothing. I have given up with it. After reading the above I will try the advanced search. I'm sure lots of people are experiencing the same problem
I also have the same problem with searches but it is for both quick search and advanced search. More often than not it just sits there and searches with nothing found.