(Close Window)
Topic: Birthday child
Anyone had any incident where you produce a rabbit magically and the birthday child thought that it's his/her present and would throw a tantrum insisting that the rabbit belongs to them or would pester the parent for a rabbit? How would you handle that?
FM
Wow, not yet Maps. That would be embarassing. I would try to give them something out of my square circle (most are thrift store low ends).

He gets a dollar magic kit and a goldfish (if parent allows this, care sheet given also). Isn't that enough?:)

Candini
Some kids are pretty spoilt!
FM
In a lot of my effects I refer to the little girl in the hospital "she asked me if I could get all the boys and girls to help colour in the painting or she always wanted a rabbit, do you think you can use magic to make her one?"

That way they won't argue with the little ill (she'll be II2 next year!) girl in the hospital

Matt
First produce it and then make it dissapear.
Scruffy the Clown,

My thoughts exactly, I have an item on order that will do just that:)

C
Scruffy the Clown,
That's a great idea. However,I think all the kids will be crowding around you and your props looking for the bunny.I think I need to hire a security guard!
FM
Got the Abbotts Jack Gwynne Vanish box coming soon:)

Looking at possible production using a cereal box and a dupe.
I include the birthday VIP in the production of livestock in my show. The VIP gets all 'decked' out, and helps in the production. Then I have my assistant come and get my livestock and take it away so the children are not distracted. After the show, a brief photo session is permitted and I bring out my animals. This leaves fond memories, all with my name and signage in the background containing my contact info.

MM
That works great for you but most of us weekend warriors don't have the convenience of an assistant, but I wish that I did sometimes. I haven't been doing near as many kids shows or local shows for that matter as I have been traveling performing so much.

MDS
When my wife isn't with me, I usually have a small cage in the bottom of one of my stand up suit case tables. (My show is done out of two)

When I'm alone, I change my patter so I ask a question while I put the animal away (out of sight). First I mention that I need to put the animal away, and I ask a question that enforces the message from my last effect when the animal was produced.

This may read as a dead spot in my act, but really its not. The audience is excited and upbeat, so its easy to momentarily ride the wave that you just created.

Besides, to put a dove or rabbit away it takes me only about 4 seconds to put the animal securely out of sight, and to grab my next item of interest.

I usually return with my animal after breaking down for a private photograph with the birthday VIP and his parent(s). As before, it completes the customer service showmanship- and leaves my contact information with in the VIP's souvenir.

MM
It is good to be versatile.

MDS