(Close Window)
Topic: Making a drawer box from a matchbox ?
I'm not sure if this is the correct topic for this posting but here it is...

I don't know how a "drawer box" works, but I wonder if it would be possible to make a mini version yourself by using a small matchbox? That would be quite nice if it was possible.

- mip
Yes, I saw an example of this a few years ago.
If you knew the workings of a drawer box you could probably make one quite quickly.
However, the one I saw had to be pulled open instead of pushed from the other end the natural way. Perhaps someone more creative knows a way around that problem?

Ian Jones
Yes you could make a mini drawer box from a matchbook. There have been a couple of marketed items that used a drawer box like principal to make the match box look full of matches (when it was empty) or vice-versa. The problem with a drawer box that small is that you are limited to vanishing or producing very small objects, objects that could easily be vanished without resorting to a prop.
Matchboxes are now a much overlooked magic prop today.

I just did a series of matchbox routines beginning with my own "A Grave Revelation" matchbox with ribbon through it, release effect. I then pulled a fireplace match (10" long wooden match) from the same ordinary matchbox. And when I put the box in my pocket, I was "surprised" to find his sypathetic friend and did the sympathetic matchbox routine, etc.

I have loved matchbox effects ever since I first produced the Sorcerer's Coffin for Hampton Ridge Magic back in the eighties.

You can do a lot with that simple little box ;)

And a drawer box using a matchbox is definitly possible, with the caveats that mumblepeas presented.

BroDavid
Matchboxes share a problem with US half dollars. We know that they exist but hardly anyone ever sees them in real life. The result? Many spectators find them suspicious.

I'd be willing to bet that some of our younger members have have never seen a matchbox outside of a magic shop. Once upon a time matchboxes were made of very thin wood with paper labels glued to the outside tip. They were rather easy to desassemble and reconfigure into drawer boxes and other tricky devices. This type of matchbox is a rarity tiday although they can sometimes be found in gift and souvenir shops.

The thickness of the cardboard used in most of the matchboxes available now does not allow making a very effective drawer box. Anyway, as Mumblepeas points out, if you want to vanish (or produce) anything small enough to fit into a matchbox you don't need a box for the purpose.

However, mip, as you progress in magic, you will discover that there are a number of rather good match box effects.

Keep learning,

Sid
MIP keep up the good work. Just try it. Sometimes not knowing the correct way leads to a new invention. Dont fall for the(It's been done before) Use your imagination to be your instructions. Happy inventing. Your friend Kirk Kokinos
Thanks all for your input and support!

- mip :crazydude: