(Close Window)
Topic: I know you guys can help me out...
I have a booklet by Father Roger Crosthwaite, a Tribute to Ed Marlo. I got it out the other day to dig out some new effects... and remembered why I stopped the first time. There are a number of moves/sleights referred to and I need the sources. I.E. 'execute a shank shuffle.... perform the Daryl Martinez display'. is one example.

Would you give me a hint on a book of card sleights that would cover these moves? My bibles have been Expert card technique and Walter B Gibson's complete illustrated book of card magic. Thanks
[ This Message was edited by: greatscott on 2001-12-16 02:00 ]
I agree with Scott 100%! Buy all four volumes, and you have enough work for a lifetime! :wavey: :xmastree:
Thanks guys - I'll invest in a set when I've saved up!

:bg:
[ This Message was edited by: greatscott on 2001-12-16 02:00 ]
A Shank Shuffle is basically a Zarrow Shuffle. However, there is (and always will be) a lot of discussion regarding the existance/credits of the move and to quote Darwin Ortiz, "A great deal of sophistry has been brought to bear in comparing [the Shank] to the Zarrow shuffle."

Did Marlo rename and change a little to the handling of the shuffle just like he renamed the Depth Illusion to make his mark on the move? Or what about the other side of the argument? Some say that Marlo never claimed the Tilt and that the name Depth Illusion came from Karl Fulves or Conrad Bush and not Vernon anyway. But the Tilt has nothing to do with this argument (I was just using it as an example).

My thoughts are basically this... the handling of the Shank Shuffle (published by Marlo and Frank Shank) are exactly the same as the handling for a false riffle in Erdnase ("Second Method For Retaining Full Deck Order") so if it is considered different to the Zarrow Shuffle, it's a re-invention anyway. :P Then again, the Zarrow Shuffle is very similar to Erdanse's move... damn it! I give up!!! :wavey:

Just thought I'd write that down to clear my own mind up on the subject. Unfortunately, it's made it even more faded!!!

--Andi

Check out - [url=http://www.asquaredproductions.com]A2 Productions[/url] my all new website - [url]http://www.asquaredproductions.com[/url]
Jeese. This Andi Gladwin guy is pretty smart for a teenager.

I hate that. :bwink:
hehe - thanks - I'll take that as a compliment :)

--Andi
The Daryl encyclopedia of card sleights videos are also an excellent source for all kinds of moves.

:devilish:
Dave,

There is a book called The Shank Shuffle published by Ed Marlo.

Jon Racherbaumer might be able to give you reference to where it might be purchased.

It is not the same as the Zarrow shuffle.

There is no pull out of the center portion in the Shank Shuffle.

We could go on for ever in arguments here.

Suffice it to say, that they both have their merits in different ways.

There are more superior shuffles available.

Good luck in our beloved craft.

Tom :bigdance:
Thanks guys, good stuff!

:babyface:
The handling of the Shank Shuffle is a little different to the Zarrow, but from a creative view point - nothing stunning. People like Marlo would tell you that if you slip cut before the move, you're doing a Zarrow Shuffle, and if you don't you're doing a Shank Shuffle.

The booklet (by Ed Marlo/Frank Shank) can be found in most of the bigger magic books shops like H&R and Magic Books By Post (UK).

--Andi
I know this is old, but? Andi Is a tennager? You son of a! You lied and said you were 100 years old and had been doing magic since birth.... then you had the gaul to tell me you were Houdini's mentor? I am so *****tered in my perception!

Andy take my name off the A2 mailing list... for you my good man are a liar! BTW all the above is sarcasm, and a lead up to say where the heck you been man! And what's the deal with the A2 Newsletter?

PS adding to this post allowing me to stay in the guidelines I would like to say the Shank is far more inferior than the Zarrow and to even assume the Shank as being the first would be uncilvilized!

Enigma :question: