(Close Window)
Topic: Pre-show announcements
Somewhere out there I've seen a book or CD or post or something concerning pre-show announcements. Announcements that inform the audience of various things (no smoking, etc) but also entertain through humour.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm looking to add some to a pre-show music mix.

Lance
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Oct 28, 2004 10:03PM)
Be creative and write one up your self.

But I know what you are talking about I have seen something like and it is funny.

Michael
Contact Xmosis (Doug Higley) here at the Café. He can record about anything you want I believe, and from what I gather he has a great voice.

Regan
I have a pre-show anouncement that goes for about 45 seconds of only voice listing every type of electronic device you can imagine and asking them to be turned off as well as no smoking, crying spectators -including children should be taken to the lobby, no flash photography because when the film developes it will be an empty stage, there are ponchos under your seat to protect you from getting wet, if you need to use the restrooms please raise your hand and ask for a pass, stuff like that...I got most of the material from rock concerts I've been too and I've written down a few and from other small theatre gigs. It's usually the small theater company productions that have some of the most creative ways to address things.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 29, 2004 07:32AM)
There are some pre-show announcements in these music CD. Hank lee sales them or just go to
http://www.bluetrammusic.com/audio/meemk04/samples.htm

Ray
I have used Dougs pre show and yes he has a fantastic voice. I just didn't not know what type of opening and announcement I wanted and he gave me many samples to choose from. We work hard to make our performances the best they can be. Remember the opener is the audiences first impression of what type of entertainer you may be. Give Doug a call. Oh buy the way, he does serious not just guys like me. LOL chuck Lyons
Doug does have a voice that is very distinctive. Too bad it has to be shared. It is talent indeed.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Thanks guys! But Bob...'Too bad it has to be shared'? hahaha...geez Bob! It's my way of getting out and 'performing' these days and being a part of some great entertainment. You think audiences are sharing the info though?

"That magician did a Bill In Lemon and a Book Test and White Birds... and did you notice... he used the same intro announcer as that other magic show last year!"

"Shameful!"

I've been seriously under the weather for more than a week but today am back up ready to roll. It seems when one goes to Disneyland one should bring some form of disinfectant 'wet wipes' or such. There are major 3rd world spooky diseases on those railings than in a hospital. Laid me out flat and on thermonuclear strength anti biotics and nobody still knows what it was.

Doug
Glad to see you are back and feeling better Doug.

Regan
Yeah thanks...I tried yesterday to get a big backlog of work done but not a chance. Thank the 'Force' for Turner Classic Movies.

This morning I was out yelling at the Crows to "Shut the **** up" so I guess I'm better. :)

And Ray...regarding your photo...it's obvious how that levitaion is done...but HOW do you unhook your head from the nail at the top of the diamond? :)

and Mr. Sperris...we ready yet?

Fiesty Doug
I surely do hope that you are feeling better my fine lad!
Take care Brother and please stay in touch?

Mickey Mouse Fan eh?~r2
Mickey Mouse? nah...over exposed rodent...

Walt is a personal Hero though. :)

~d2
I have preshow intro with music and was using a backdrop but probably will not for birthday shows anymore.

For those who have intros, do you walk in from another room, from behind backdrop etc?

Thanks.
Without a Back Drop for a Birthday show...start your CD or tape and go sit with the kids (!)...then jump up and get 'on stage' once introduced.

Doug
I have a Proel Trussing set with a Custom Backdrop in my shows. I have a tiny peephole (just like a perv) to scan and survey my audience just before I head out as the intro is played. I'm scanning and selecting possible volunteers.

You can't go wrong with Doug's work Officer Candini!
Get his tracks whilst you can and plan for the future in your shows.~R2
[quote]
On 2004-11-15 19:29, ReyRey Puentes wrote:
You can't go wrong with Doug's work Officer Candini!
Get his tracks whilst you can and plan for the future in your shows.~R2
[/quote]

ReyRey - I agree with your 'plan for the future' comment. I've worked with Doug and done just that. I completely agree that you can't go wrong with his work.
Doug,

Get your Star Dancer the unicorn and Star Dance Castle voices ready. March she will be through training and ready to go.

Do you have a voice for Prince Bob?

Bob and Lucy
Magic By Sander
Star Dancer Castle Productions
What a beautiful set of ladies you have there Master Bob! You lucky Cowboy!~r2
Gotcha covered Bob. There are rumors I might still be kicking and 'pre-bucket' by the end Feb.

Is Prince Bob related to the Old Wizard?

Doug
Thanks Rey Rey and Doug.

Without a Back Drop for a Birthday show...start your CD or tape and go sit with the kids (!)...then jump up and get 'on stage' once introduced.

Excellent idea, thanks:)
Just wanted to let everyone here know that I do voice overs as well. I used to work in radio and I have my own little recording studio here at home. If anyone is ever interested feel free to contact me.

Andy Lindgren
Hi Andy...do you dabble these days or attempt to make a living at it full time pro?

I do the latter, so good luck...tough business, especially at $50 a pop for these guys! hahaha.

Do you have a website with any audio on line? Need any help, just hollar.

Doug
I also use Doug's voice over as an intro and closer. He has a great voice he was willing to tweak the into a few times to get it just the way I wanted it. It was $50 very well spent. No where can I find a photographer....

Thanks, Doug.

Oliver Twist
WEll...I'm pretty good with a camera. I'll need the air fare though! :)

BTW: Thanks for the testimonial. :)

Doug
That makes two of us Doug. LOL. Seems we are a Jack of all trades. I have also done some freelance photography for my hometown newspaper. :D I just dabble in it now as well. Although if the right radio job came up I would consider it. Actually I would love to make a website. Email me sometime. Would like to talk with you more about it.

Andy Lindgren
I have a guy that is a professional DJ do all of my voiceover work. He has a friend that does a lot of work with him and you could even have 2 different voices on the same intro. If you are interested let me know and I will have him quote a price.

Matthew
[quote]
On 2004-11-09 11:28, Xmosis wrote:

And Ray...regarding your photo...it's obvious how that levitaion is done...but HOW do you unhook your head from the nail at the top of the diamond? :)

Fiesty Doug
[/quote]

Actually its a magnet that sticks to a metal plate he got installed in the back of his head.

:)
[quote]
On 2005-01-04 22:13, MDS wrote:
I have a guy that is a professional DJ do all of my voiceover work. He has a friend that does a lot of work with him and you could even have 2 different voices on the same intro. If you are interested let me know and I will have him quote a price.

Matthew

[/quote]

Any takers?
Can someone please PM me wher I can contact Doug?
Does he have a website. I would like a voice over.
Thanks
One thing that should be in your announcements is if y ou use a strobe light in your show...you need to make that aware to your audiences. Strobes can trigger seizures in a minority of people...but it's better to not take the chance and inform everyone.
I think what Lance was orinally looking for is my cd, which I first sold last summer at my lecture at the IBM Convention in Cleveland.

The cd is called, "The Show Starts Before the Show Starts"...here is the description:

The Show Starts Before The Show Starts (CD)
For years, Tim has used funny announcements before his show to help warm up the audience.
This CD has 24 cuts, including many funny announcements and several introductions
that you can use to start your show in a professional way.
Also included are several “useful” announcements that deal with “staying seated”, “no videotaping”, “silence cell phones”, etc. You will use this!

These are very professional...I play one announcement between each song in my preshow music. The audience is laughing and having a good time even before my show starts...hence the name of the cd.

I am sending it to the magazines for review, and will soon have it available on the web. If you want one in the meantime, send me an email at
tim@pkshow.com

or you can paypal me. They are $30 postpaid.

My paypal id is tim@showmethefun.com
I just got mine from TIM and this CD is the best. WELL worth the 30.00 you will use this CD as soon as you get it.

Great stuff TIM!

Ken
Thanks Ken!

For another enthusiastic review from someone who received the cd today...visit this link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=104215&forum=11&9

The new and improved cd will be available soon! Email me at tim@pkshow.com to be notified of it's availability!
Tim,

in your CD.... do you also have the music by itself so the voice over can be added in other languages????
I notice hanklee sells Magician's EZ Edit music kit V. 1+3, is vol. 4 still for sale anywhere?

Thanks
Carlos,

The CD only includes the announcements and introductions. It contains no music. Most people use the announcements in between their own selection of music.

Some of the jokes wouldn't make as much sense in the UK, so a couple of the annoucements have a USA version and a UK version. (thanks to Mike Clarke's help!)

The new CD will be available soon!
[quote]
On 2004-11-20 20:05, Bob Sanders wrote:
Doug,

Get your Star Dancer the unicorn and Star Dance Castle voices ready. March she will be through training and ready to go.

Do you have a voice for Prince Bob?

Bob and Lucy
Magic By Sander
Star Dancer Castle Productions

[/quote]

Doug,

Plans change. Star Dancer was slightly injured in training so the schedule changed. Now we'll need voices for Star Dancer, Star Duster, and Star Drifter.

For Prince Bob a frog voice will be right.

Lucy
Queen of Star Dancer Castle
If you need a quikie and are low on funds, you could check with a local radio station. I often get a local radio DJ to do pre-show intros if I do an interview about a show in the area. It adds a local celebrity tie-in to the show. It can be customized for that particular show and the kicker is I've never been charged a penny. They love to be a part of the act. Just bring them a recordable cd.

Curt
OK Bob...

Hope the horsey is ok??!!
Tim,

Ken's endorsement is good enough for me. I just ordered one.

Dan.
UPDATE ON THE CD
"The Show Starts Before the Show Starts"

I now have the new and updated cd in stock. (35 tracks...two are duplicated as they are specific to the UK)

Everyone that has purchased the cd has told me they are using it in their shows right away.

I'm proud to be selling something that is getting used, and not just sitting in the magic drawer.

Anyway, I'm sending them to the magazines for review this week.

The price for the new and updated cd is $35 (shipping included to the USA)

Overseas friends please email me your address, and I'll email you with the total shipping included.

Paypal is preferred. paypal id is tim@showmethefun.com

Thanks everybody!

Tim
Tim,

I just ordered a copy of your CD, I am looking forward to get it.
Does anyone knows where to get this???
http://www.bluetrammusic.com/audio/meemk04/samples.htm

When I click the buy button the page closes itself. Does any vendors carry these?

Thanks
Carlos the same happened to me. I'd love to get my hands on this one. The Big Show Introduction is great!
Hi
Try this link http://www.bluetrammusic.com/contact.htm

I have it and it's good.

Colin
As far as the EZ edit volume 4, I have one left at my website MagicEstateSale.com, it is on the accesory page
Back and at it again. Because of my 2 'puter crashings I was unable to do an intro or two for Magicians....BUT all is back in gear and running smooth...so whomever it was that contacted me and I wasn't able to do your stuff at that time (and naturally lost the contact and your eMails in the crash) I am doing the Custom Intros/Outros and Pre Shows again.
Same special rate stands...ANY job from the Café is $50 flat fee for whatever it is you need. Delivered asap as mp3 files.

Thanks

Doug
I saw Red Skelton perform not too long before he passed away. He did some funny nonsense pre-show announcements from back stage that were a wonderful added touch.

I remember one during which he described a most bizarre automobile asking the owner to please stand up. He said something like: "nothing's wrong we just wanna see what the hell YOU look like!"

The show does start before the show!
A sample of my preshow announcments cd is now available to listen to online at
http://www.behindthecurtaindvd.com/page1/page1.html

Here is a review of the cd from the KIDABRA JOURNAL: (most of the announcements will work for all types of shows, not just kidshows)

The Show Starts Before The Show Starts CD
800-227-3253
$35.00 ppd.
This is an excellent CD to use if you do school family nights, public shows, or even birthday parties. This CD consists of thirty-five tracks (two are duplicated for use in the UK) of announcements and comedy bits. These are designed to be placed between tracks of pre-show music to help warm up your audience. Some are original and some are fun, old chestnuts. All are usable. I won’t tip much of the content. Just buy this buy this CD. You’ll use it! I used several tracks in my own family night presentation the day it came! It’s evident; Tim has spent time and money producing a very high quality product!

Here are a few announcement topics:
Introduction for a Family Show
Rules for the show
Grownups watch too
Silence Cell Phones
Souvenirs Available
And Many More!

Rating: 10
Just wanted to pop in and say Doug just did a great introduction for me. Great work and well worth the investment.
I also have had some custom introductions done by a professional...well worth the $$!

Owen commented on the Red Skelton funny announcement. When I was collaborating with others on my cd, someone suggested that one, and we used an updated version.

I would have loved to have seen Red! (I have seen Mullica as Red, and that was great, too!)
Just uploaded some samples from my cd to youtube.

See the link in my signature!
Tim...those samples are awesome!
Thanks Trooper!
Tim,

Is it possible to get a personalized intro done with the same voice as on you CD?

Thanks,

John
I have the cd f/s UK
I use Tim's tracks with every show and can't enough great things about them. They are very professional in every respect.

Dan.