(Close Window)
Topic: Aronson
Which is your favourite magic with the Aronson's stack? (magic created by Simon...)
I don't do memorized deck work but I can tell you for years back in 70's I sat around the same round table with Simon and he would do stuff that would boggle the mind.

A memorized deck is one thing but incorporate it with someone who can also handle cards very well and OHHHHH, my head hurts thinking about it!
Everybody's Lazy. I posted a thread about it a while ago, and I consider it my second strongest routine (The strongest being Card to Wallet).

Shane Wiker
Histed Heisted
Everbody's Lazy

both are real killers

Nick
Hard to pick a favorite, because there's so much that can be done with memorized decks in general and with Aronson's stack in particular.

Currently, I'll often open a close-up by having a person visualize a card (which I try to force per Derren Brown's first book), then visualize picking it from an imaginary deck. I then classic force the selection to demonstrate the "power of positive visualization."

I also perform the 10-card poker deal and five-hand deals built into the stack, but only, ONLY if someone mentions poker or card games. If they do mention it, then THAT is my favorite trick with Aronson's stack.
I like what Michael Close offers:
Tut Tut
Invisible Deck

kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Jimmy,

It's obvious from what I've read here at the Café that you have excellent card skills.

So, based on your post, why don't you do memorized deck work???

Just curious.
Past, Present, Future
Twice as Hard
Histed Heisted
and many, many more!
Four Stop Intersection - its not easy but the impact makes it well worth the effort
I like 2 beginnings
Histed Heisted (In "Bound to Please" book)
Four Stop Intersection (In "Bound to Please" book)
Four Part Harmony (In "The Aronson Approach" book)
Past, Present and Future (In "Simply Simon" book. A stone-cold killer!!)
Twice as Hard (In "Try the Impossible" book)

Although Four Stop Intersection is a great routine, I find the calculations more complex than some of Simon's other effects and really requires you to keep performing this to keep the calculation steps straight. I subsequently discovered Four Part Harmony and found it cleaner and the calculations much easier to remember and to perform than Four Stop Intersection. Caveat: Each of these two excellent effects require four audience members in their performance.

Just recently, I discovered Past, Present and Future (in Simply Simon). Virtually hands-off handling of the deck by the performer. Three cards are freely selected by a single spectator and the sections of the deck are repeatedly shuffled--sometimes before the selection, sometimes after. I love the interesting pseudo fortune-telling plot and having the spectator picking cards to reflect her Past, Present and Future. All calculations are a slam-dunk, are "keyed off of" a single card and are easy to calculate, remember and perform.

Just, IMHO; your mileage may vary.
Histed Heisted
The Birthday Book
Aces Awry (As a lead in to Twisting the Aces)
Prediction a la Kruskal with the Aronson Stack
Aronson's 3 Phase Poker Deal
Dealing the Perfect Bridge Hand
Jazzin

Dennis Loomis
Hi Mark o,

My favourite trick of Simon Aronson's is the Invisible Card from his book Try the Impossible P175, it just kills, followed by Twice as Hard P46 of the same book.

Kind Regards

Mike
I have to second Simon's "Invisible Card." It should have been on my list.

Dennis Loomis
Ditto!! (Re: Invisible Card)
Amen!
Yes, many are mentioned. Three of my further favorites: Everybody's Lazy, Twice as Hard and 4 Part Harmony ( a bit reworked, but so strong!). Jan
[quote]
On 2004-10-29 10:40, jcards01 wrote:
I don't do memorized deck work
[/quote]

You should! You could borrow a deck, then use your cull to stack it right in front of everyone. ;)
Message: Posted by: greydonthemagician (Dec 13, 2010 11:00AM)
Jeff Hinchliffe has some crazy ideas on stack, check out his lecture notes "What I've learned so far..."

Personally there are some great effects out there, "everybody's lazy" and "Histed Heisted", but creating your own ideas are worthwhile!
Where can I get the lecture notes from Jeff Hinchliffe????

Best regards,

Zedd
Message: Posted by: greydonthemagician (Dec 14, 2010 11:37PM)
Contact him personally, tell him Greydon recommended you do so;)He is here on the forum.
Past present future combined with a cold reading in the manner described in Absolute Magic by DB can be a true killer. To those who have both books the relevance will appear obvious.
Hi Philippos! I'll have to look at that cold reading in DB's book again. You know I love performing PPF as well and looking for more to add to it. Thanks for letting us know about that!
Most folks have mentioned Aronson effects that are stack-independent. Which is cool. I happened to memorize Mnemonica, but most of my favourite memdeck magic is Aronson.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Topsy Turvy from Simply Simon. The card choices are completely free, the deck is shuffled to death, the whole thing looks hopelessly messed up, yet the performer determines the selections well in advance of the revelations--basically, the trick is done before the magic starts. The method is not mathematical (though one must know the stack cold), and I am finding one can vary it a bit if one wants to do the revelations differently. I also think it's a stunner for a single spectator, as he is given free choice all along and shuffles the lot himself. I really think it is a gem that bears to be done and discussed more.

Les
[quote]On Apr 22, 2010, Turk wrote:

Just recently, I discovered Past, Present and Future (in Simply Simon). Virtually hands-off handling of the deck by the performer. Three cards are freely selected by a single spectator and the sections of the deck are repeatedly shuffled--sometimes before the selection, sometimes after. I love the interesting pseudo fortune-telling plot and having the spectator picking cards to reflect her Past, Present and Future. All calculations are a slam-dunk, are "keyed off of" a single card and are easy to calculate, remember and perform.

[/quote]

Though the routine as written suggests a wallet index for the "future" revelation, I think it's awesome to do an ID revelation (using patter about having a dream the night before about doing this effect and flipping the dreamt of selection in another deck). Do it ungimmicked with Mike Close's ID routine, and the spectator gets to find the reversed card himself, compare it with the "future" card he put in his pocket at the beginning, and have his head explode :)

Les
My vote also for Twice as Hard.

Although that may change soon with Art Decko sitting on my desk waiting to be read.
Most of Simon's location effects are very, very good, but technically I really prefer the structure of Histed Heisted. Recently I got into the possession of Louis S. Histed book, so I read about the origins of this impossible to backtrack trick.
I do the trick with other things than playing cards to make it more interesting for the lay audience, which of course means I had to learn another stack (now 7 stacks in my head...., meaning I have to rehearse on a daily basis, even on the absence of paid jobs)
[quote]On Dec 15, 2020, CartoucheNL wrote:
Most of Simon's location effects are very, very good, but technically I really prefer the structure of Histed Heisted. Recently I got into the possession of Louis S. Histed book, so I read about the origins of this impossible to backtrack trick.[/quote]

You might also want to check out "Tesseract" by Mike Powers for his work on "Heisting Histed Heisted 3.0"
Histed Heisted and Everybody’s Lazy are both great and stack independent..
[quote]On Dec 26, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]On Apr 22, 2010, Turk wrote:

[/quote]

Though the routine as written suggests a wallet index for the "future" revelation, I think it's awesome to do an ID revelation (using patter about having a dream the night before about doing this effect and flipping the dreamt of selection in another deck). Do it ungimmicked with Mike Close's ID routine, and the spectator gets to find the reversed card himself, compare it with the "future" card he put in his pocket at the beginning, and have his head explode :)

Les [/quote]

Since the theme of Aronson's patter is "fortune-telling," I do a cold-reading of the spec that just happens to coincide with the pocketed card's fortune-telling meaning. E.g. "I get the feeling you're going to be very rich one day. And that it's going to be in conjunction with someone, a close partnership. In cartomancy--that's fortune telling with cards-- wealth is symbolized by diamonds and a partnership by two, so if your future card turns out to be the two of diamonds that would be confirmation of my feeling. Of course we all know that fortune-telling isn't true. Or is it?" And then they take the card out of their pocket...

Here's a quick list of usable card meanings:
https://exemplore.com/fortune-divination/Playing-Card-Tarot-Spreads
Love to open with Invisible Card, then use a little force to get to Aces Awry, and then a quick cut gets me to Draw Poker Deal. Reset from there is automatic.