(Close Window)
Topic: Routining .... comedy, sight gags, standard plots
With comedy (stand-up etc.), they talk about "laughs per minute". When filling out your "5 minutes" comedians are encouraged to add more punches/twists to existing premises rather than introducing new setups.....

A very good performer friend whose opinion I respect recently suggested to me some ways to commercialize/liven up some of the standard card plot tricks.. He told me he got good audience reactions with the stock "tree of clubs", long cards, sight gag glasses, blank cards, card in glasses etc.. etc....

Introducing those types of things into routines doesn't come natural to me. But there is no denying that when well done they can give an audience more to keep their attention and laugh at etc.. etc...during the course of a routine.

Do any of you continue to wrestle with some of this? Granted a well defined and crafted character can alleviate some of this but apart from "performer/character" element, anyone else have opinions about these trade offs/choices?

I hate the thought of giving in to including some of these gags and then having to manage them with my props.
Bill Malone's card on hand is a very comical routine.
You claim spectator will find card they selected earlier from a mess on the table, but to place it facedown in your hand incase you have to switch it.
You of course, MISS, but as you grab up the cards while apogizing, the card is stuck on the back of your hand. Funny stuff.
Finney does a hilaroius card on forehead trick.
You might want to get a cardtoon deck also.
Even tricks we like to do because they involve skill our not entertaining to our spectators.
jay sankey has some EZ to do tricks with KILLER presentations.