(Close Window)
Topic: Z Wallets And Their Effects
A good friend of mine recently gave me a Z wallet. I can see several possibilities for this little guy but I was wondering what other effects can be done with this?

Anyone use this wallet or know of any good effects that were just made for this utility? Any sources?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
I think Harry Lorayne wrote a book on Himber wallets (might be wrong, my memory isn't great :P ) Also Wayne dobson has a booklet out called (I think) Z6 that you might want to look at.
It was Harry Lorayne's "Himber Wallet Book" But beware - a "Z" wallet is NOT necessarily a Himber Wallet. Although it will acomplish many effects, there is a subtle difference and the Himber Wallet is the ultimate (IMHO)
I have a new wallet, came today..... for card in wallet.... its like a hip wallet. with a loading sl-t just behind the power pack... cant wait to use it....
Very true. My Z wallet is quite different to the Himber. That's probably why I'm having a hard time finding versatile uses for it.

Nick, is Z6 the name of the booklet, or a name of a type of wallet, or both?

Thanks for the help, all!
Its the name of the booklet. it can be ordered here:

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ealakazam%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fhome2%2ehtml&WD=dobson%20wayne&PN=Hot_List_1%2ehtml%23a785#a785
Tommy Wonder's Ring Watch and Wallet routine can be done, but you need other props for that as well.
Furthermore to my earlier post - I think I am correct in saying that any effect that can be done with a " Z " wallet CAN be done with a himber but NOT the other way round.
Check into Mark Strivings who has several Z wallets and other functional wallets.
Mike
I use my Z Wallet with Bicycle built for five,its a touch from Scottie York,which I feel makes this effect much better (IMHO).It can be found in his International Magic lecture.

All the best
DADE.
Hi Dade,

I'd be interested in your BBF5 routine - I presume a packet switch so they can be examined?
[quote]
On 2004-11-14 14:31, DADE wrote:
I use my Z Wallet with Bicycle built for five,its a touch from Scottie York,which I feel makes this effect much better (IMHO).It can be found in his International Magic lecture.
[/quote]

Why would you do this? First - how will you be able to obtain 4 of the specific gaffed cards Bicycle Built for Five uses?
Second- I don't know how you are presenting this, but not once have I been asked by anyone if they could inspect the cards. I do it as a comedy routine, and hence everyone enjoys it and has a laugh about it. If they wnat to inspect it, you're obviously presenting as if you're challenging them, and making it into a competition when all they want to see is some magic.

Just my opinion but I feel it works better when presented that way.

-Niko
Niko - that's exactly why I asked the question. Comedy routine - using the Military chain of command as the 'lead joker' and his a**e lickers! :)
So what are the differences between a Z wallet and a Himber wallet? Is it just the pocket that can be accessed from both sides?
Nick23,

I'm not sure if I can say without giving too much away. Both operate in a similar way that you have already identified. However, The Himber has a certain something that prevents it from being opened the 'wrong' way when it is opened flat. The "Z" Wallet doesn't.
Niko-
I don't know about the auidences you perform for,but mine check and want to examine everything,as they have just seen something unexplainable.As Alan Ackermann says "its a complement to you , although it may not feel that way when they grab for the cards".

I have performed for some rough crowds,who aint afraid to say what they think,politness is left at the door!.

Just my thoughts
DADE.
[quote]
On 2004-11-16 02:28, pacotrix wrote:
Nick23,

I'm not sure if I can say without giving too much away. Both operate in a similar way that you have already identified. However, The Himber has a certain something that prevents it from being opened the 'wrong' way when it is opened flat. The "Z" Wallet doesn't.
[/quote]

Ok, now I'm really confused. I always assumed I owned a Himber wallet, but now I'm not sure.
Nick23,

If your wallet's angles all 'flop' about then you aint got a Himber. When a himber is opened - the 'other' side is 'locked' in place. A "Z" wallet (hence the Z in the name) looks like a Z from the side.

with me?

In fact, some dealers incorrectly advertise Z switch wallets as Himbers. check before you buy.
Let me attempt to clarify why Scotty used a Himber style wallet in the routine.
Although Scotty primarily used the routine in a bar situation where the spectator's often grab and/or insist on looking at props, his main reason for using the wallet was to switch in the "climax card". He mentions that if you don't have a Himber wallet, you can leave that part out.
Scotty also modified the handling to eliminate having to place a double card on the bar (which was often wet).
Hope this helps.
Ah, this is turning into a “Bicycle Built For Five” thread now.

I understand what is being said, but I still can’t see the need for a wallet of any kind for BBF5. I do it in the hands (mine) and the cards go straight in the pocket awaiting an early reset.

The Himber certainly has its uses for other packet tricks though. “Ultimate 3 Card Monte” springs to mind - where it would be a fooler to switch all three gaffs. “Temptation” could be good too.
For Z style and other wallets please look at my website. http://www.tonycurtismagic.com