(Close Window)
Topic: Richard Sanders Show Real Review
I own volumes 1 and 3
The effects on Volume 1 are passable but Volume 3 you can't do without

I'll review Vol. 1 first

Richard Sanders Show Volume 1
Content: 6.5

Named: Scribble from magic marker visually transforms into a spectator's name (given a shake or two) Totally impromptu

I know a lot of tricks similar to this. (PH's Backlash comes to mind) Its impressive to laymen though. I'll give it a 7/10

Double Bill Switch: A Borrowed bill transforms into a $50, then into a $100.

TT as usual but the double change can be quite attractive. Keep in mind the fronts and backs are shown for all the bills. Still have to try it though. 6/10

Behind my back: Performer with cards held behind back has card chosen. Performer turns to face the audience and in between his lips is the card chosen a moment ago.

This ones impressive and the decks immediately examinable they won't find their card in it. Quite cleverly done. I've done it for laymen a few times and the reactions have been good. I'll give this a 8.5/10

Gobsmack Pack: One face down card in face up deck. Spetator names any card. Face down card is turned over and on its face, name of thought of card. Real reputation maker. Immediately repeatable

I just think its a drawn out Invisible Deck routine. However, the delayed climax could be valuable. Personally I haven't even built this yet. Its all presentation. Maybe it'll be useful to you. However since its not really my style (and I'm a little lazy to construct the deck) 5/10

SynchronACEity: Fun self-working routine with built in surpise finish. Together, the spectator and performer manage to find the 4 aces in the fairest manner possible!

Um. Its an acceptable routine, however I find it a bit amateurish for Sanders. This sounds exactly like something I'll come up w/. I've tried it a few times just for a go. I'd say its filler at best. However, could be a good alternative to cutting the aces when you're lazy. 4/10

Pile of Change: Change a spectators penny into a quarter and give it to them as a souveneir.

This is a really simple effect but since you give them the change it really strengthens the fact in their minds... he really changed the penny into the quarter. (And I made 24cs too!) I knew most of the sleights though. I would have appreciated it to be a full routine, but it just happens to be another quick trick. 6/10

Cramped: Signed bill vanishses and reappears inside theh cap of a marker that the spectator used to sign his bill!

This is really practical. I mean how many times are you going to be carrying a lemon/ orange/ fruit? If you want a pocket miracle, you have it here. 8/10

Magic Marker: Marker and super visual card revelation.

Gimmicks supplied. Marker isn't. It works I guess. Falls into another quick trick category but I could see how you can really establish yourself. (By literally doing magic with any and all objects) 7/10

Overall, I thought this Volume was mediocre, I use Behind My Back and Named. I'll try Cramped more and maybe the Double Bill Switch. The rest is more filler than anything.

However, with that said... I really enjoyed Volume 3. That Volume you can't miss! However, I've typed enough for one day. Review tommorow
Thanks for the review, pal. I can't wait for the other. No review for the second one?
Thanx..i'm planning to get vol.1 and vol.2 though. Wll do my review whe I get them.
Seems like most of these effects were in his Close-Up Assasin book w companion tape made several years ago.
Regardless, excellent stuff.
Thanks for review buddy.
Is it worth buying? Preview looks good...
I must say, just from reading the descriptions I may have to go out and get all these. Any more reviews?

Michael
Volume 3 review coming up...
Alright heres the Volume 3 review as promised. Keep in mind the descriptions aren't full, as that would take even more typing!

Vol. 3
Content: Solid 9

Shaken: Visual card magic. Watch dots drawn on a card VISUALLY REGROUP to form the outline of a selected card. All this happens on the back of a signed card that the spectator keeps as a souvenir!

Similar to the previous NAMED (on Vol. 1) Basically this effect ie one of those special ways to reveal a selected card. Its not that original and feels like the same trick w/ different handling to me. 6/10

Card In Ear: A two card selection routine where cards change, one card ends up behind the performer's ear and finally the whole deck vanishes leaving only the 2 selections. A smorgasbord of amazing magic in one routine!

<--- The description is all true. I've heard a few gasps of suprise as they discover the card behind your ear! Its a great moment. Then imagine their reaction, when you smack the deck and only the two cards left! Easily one of the most visual tricks I perform. 9/10

Discovered: An unexplainable card revelation that will fool even the most knowledgeable magicians.

Well since they didn't write much in the description I'm not sure I'm supposed to reveal the effect. It will fool some magicians, esp. those who have never worked with memorized decks. 8/10 (Its strong but just watch Osterlind and you clearly know there are stronger variations)

Trick Photography: A selected card vanishes from the pack and appears in the the magicians hand.... inside a picture!

Haha, this one is just fun to perform. It might take some preparation (e.g. preparing the photo etc.) but the reactions are just great. A minor miracle
8/10

The Audio Vanish: Vanish any small item from your card case!

I remember a marketed effect that was similar to this premise. It was called Vox Box. The sound is really convincing. And you can stop it anytime you like. This is how your card box becomes a great utlity item.
8.5/10

Stickmen 4: A wild packet trick that uses only 4 cards. One at a time little stickmen start appearing on the backs of four jokers. Heres the killer finish, like a special effect, all the stickmen visually jump onto the back of the chosen joker held by the spectator.

This is just great. Great great trick. Period. The appeal of the stickmen --> its like Cardtoon. I love performing this and its gone straight into my repetoire. If you can't tell... its my favourite trick of the volume 9.5/10

Sugarless Bill: A borrowed bill vanishes and then reappears inside an unopened, sealed package of gum! This trick alone has landed Richard thousands of dollars worth of contracts

The description says it all. It plays exactly how it sounds. Pretty much a Bill to impossible location that's suitable for even a street situation. Afterall, how big is a pack of gum?! (Though its the Trident brand) 8/10

Castle Purse: The closing efffect to Richard's Magic Castle performance. A folded card is shown inside a small coin purse and then set aside. A card is signed by a spectator. At the end of the performance a small set of tweezers are used to gently and very slowly remove the folded card from the coin purse. The folded card is the signed selection!

There you have it. Its strong. Why wouldn't it be? Basically this is Richards version of Paperclipped. Well same premise but totally different props obviously. Doesn't that say it all. A single trick on a DVD that could be marketed on its own. 8.5/10

Hopefully now you know why this Vol. is so much better than Vol. 1. I'm thinking of Vol. 2 but the money tricks on that seem to be the same as Vol.1 (from the descriptions at least)

Overall great series of DVDs...
Thanks again!!! Nice review!
I just ordered volume 3. If I like it, I'll probably get the other two.

Michael
I ordered the whole set today...It ships tomorrow...I'll let you guys know what I think on the WHOLE series when it comes...Expect an extensive review :-P
Thanx JoeKing!...You the man! =)
For another review that goes over some of the material in Vol 2 as well as the 1st and 3rd, head to http://magiccirclejerk.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to yesterday's (Tuesaday's) post.

Later,
Grant
I don't have time for a long review. But I have to say these are realy worth it. Not all the effects are amazing, there are enough killers on each dvd though to justify purchasing all three. I give these a 9/10
The guy just sent my DVDs yesterday...So my review won't be for awhile.
:(
I got volume 3 and have watched it a couple times. overall, I liked it. Its a good vid, and has stuff that I will actually use in the real world. I'd recomend this to anyone that likes the sound of the effects.

To touch on the highlights, shaken is a fantastic effect - very visual, plays out just like it reads, although I'm really bad at drawing (even random marks on cards) so I'll have to try it out.

Card in ear was ok, not my kinda effect, but discovered totally fooled me. I knew what had to be at work, but I didn't see how, and with the method richard presents, your audience will not have a clue - definately one of my favorites.

Trick photography is another great effect. I very much regret not asking the guy at the DMV if I could have a card in the picture of my drivers licsense in my mouth or something. It takes some prep but very well done.

Audio vanish is basically vox box (if you have heard of it), and I think provides a great way to vanish small objects in close up work. A nice, convincing effect, although I'm not sure how to work it into my routine.

Stickman 4 was an ok effect. I didn't like so much the beginning of the effect, as it didn't seem very coherent to me - it didn't flow right, but the ending is great.

Sugarless bill is just an awesome bill to impossible location. It definatly takes some prep, but its well worth the effort.

Castle purse is essentially richards version of paperclipped. I personally think paperclipped is much easier, simpler, and just as strong as this.

I'll probably go ahead and get the other 2 volumes, then let you know how they compare.

Michael
Card in ear doesn't work for me, the card won't stay clipped behind my ear.
I'm still waiting for mine...
Any reviews of volume 2?

Michael
Gonna get Vol2. and 3 in a wk's time. Keep you guys updated by then.
And waiting...
I got Volume 2 finally
I'd say its really quite similar to the other two volumes and nothing new in there (variations of those themes)

Nothing too groundbreaking here
....okay...tat doesn't sound too enticing..
Alright I got volume 2, I couldn't wait for a review lol.

Rising is really a pretty good effect, and one I didn't find very hard. It plays pretty much like it reads, except you cover the deck with a hankercheif (not the top, they do actually see it come up, but you never actually contact the deck with your hnad cause the hankercheif is in between.

Mr stickman was ok, basically you draw a stickman and he jumps from card to card until he lands on the signed card. I didn't care for it, but not a bad effect either.

King thing was a really nice way to do open traelers. The set up takes some time but its worth it - especially with it being no palming.

Time travel bill is great, especially the idea he gives about the serial number (torn bill, old, to new bill, mint condition, same serial) the effect is incredible to begin with, but the principle he provides may be even better.

Slow mo aces is like mcdonalds aces, minus the gaffs. I really liked this routine, its very fair and not too hard to do.

I didn't really understand what he was getting at with bill to anywhere (ts a principle only, not an exact effect necesarily) but whatever.

Gone is great, but it doesn't play like it reads, that is it doesn't work every time as shown in performance. I liked the idea (nothing new) but this is one I'd be cautious about doing.

All in all this dvd was very solid, I'd definately recomend this to anyone, but its not something you can't live without.

Michael
Just curious, levitate, but didn't you say the stickman trick was on volume 3? Or is it a different stickman trick. All I know is you can never have too many stickman tricks.

Best,

Al
This set of dvds,after the series of reviews sounds like a mediocre set of dvds at best. Hmm, well I guess I just have to wait for my own set to arrive before I post my own objective reviews. Tsk..tsk..Thanx guys anyway, for the time and effort in writing the reviews and for responding to my thread.
Lonewolf123-

These dvds are anything but mediocre. While Vol 2 is certainly the weak sister of the bunch, the entire set is very good. In addition to having strong material, these dvds are very well shot and the effects are explained in full detail. I think you will enjoy this set, but look forward to your review.

Cheers,

Tiki
Tiki is right. Vol. 2 is the weak one but I stand by Vol. 3 its got some really strong material on that one.
The stickman effect on 2 is different. They are good, I really like his style, but they are no osterlind dvds to draw a comparison. I'm sure there are better dvds to spend your money on if you look, but I don't think you would be at all dissapointed with these.

Michael
Alright juz got my dvds and watched the performance sections only. I take back my words. These dvds have some really good usable, practical magic out there. I have seen a lot of magic tricks and own many magic dvds but most of these tricks fooled me in its workings and Richard's performance is just fun to watch. Check out the trick called 'Castle Purse' where he performs a snap change during an ambitious card routine prior to the effect before he reveals the 'secret card'...unbelievably cool. Simply awesome handling man..i was blown away. All in all. Great set of dvds and definitely worth the money. 8/10 for me.
K just to add a few more comments. After reviewing Vol 2 and Vol.3 over the past 2 weeks meticulously, I can reassure you that Richard Sander's tricks are really practical and any magician is bound to find some usable material in them. As aforementioned by others that Vol 2. is the weak sister of the bunch, I beg to differ. This dvd has some real gems in it. In my opinon, 'Aces Alive'-a 4 ace revelation is just so cool and flourishy that it is worth the price of the dvd alone. Also, after the 4 aces are revealed, you can carry on to perform 'Biddle Aces'- a MacDonald's Aces trick except without the gaffs. Just how cool is that? Well it is really as Richard mentioned a very neat way of doing the Michael Ammar classic but just as clean and mindboggling. This dvd should not be overlooked and in my opinion, it is definitely on par with the 3rd dvd which contains some ingenious routines that are carefully scripted.
I think this DVD is just OK. A lot of usable materials but somehow I didn't go WOW. Maybe I;m thinking too much like a magician. I love the Double Bill-Switch and the Stickman though!
Say, who sells these DVDs?
Most dealers would have been selling them by now. The cheapest I've found so far was from Elmwood Magic.
Well I went wow a couple of times..haha..I guess you are too cynical of magic as a magician already. After sometime, nothing fools magicians or hobbiyists anymore as they will only think in terms of methodology and stuff. Sad to say.
I think so! Think LAYMEN HAZ THINK LAYMEN!!!
By the way, I think the 4 Stickman trick is worth the price of the DVD!!
Its awesome!..my favourite is 'Aces Alive'..juz absolutely practical and improptu, very stunning to laymen too.
Hey Keith Yeung thx for your reviews , looks like its all good stuff innit gonna buy it thanks again.
His Close-up assassin booklet+video combo is good too, if you can find it - since it's VHS I got it for $10, plus it explains and illustrates all the effects on the video, in the booklet - great for reading on the run (I haven't even watched the video yet!). It has a lot of the material written above, plus his handling of the signed bill to lemon, and a couple others (including a few stickmen routines).

I find Richard's handlings to be clean and motivated, his 'effect' and revelations to be powerful, and a great pro-class magician all around.
3 Words: Get Them All!
[quote]
On 2005-01-04 13:27, mcmc wrote:
His Close-up assassin booklet+video combo is good too, if you can find it - since it's VHS I got it for $10, plus it explains and illustrates all the effects on the video, in the booklet - great for reading on the run (I haven't even watched the video yet!). It has a lot of the material written above, plus his handling of the signed bill to lemon, and a couple others (including a few stickmen routines).

I find Richard's handlings to be clean and motivated, his 'effect' and revelations to be powerful, and a great pro-class magician all around.
[/quote]

Where did you purchase this for $10? I really want this for his bill in lime routine.

Thanks in advance...
I think this is an amazing 3 dvd set - be sure to try out The Audio Vanish
lots of applications are possible
Just adding my opinion that the 4 Stickman trick is superb... A relativly simple 4 card packet trick that could easily sell on its own. If you like the ideas behind Cardtoon then this is a natural addition.
Just clarifying, Uncle Jim. Do you mean the stickman trick in volume 3. I think there's also one in volume one.

Best,

Al
Stickman is fun, but Sanders' card to mouth is simply amazing. This is a great dvd set.

Cheers,

Tiki
I didn't manage to purchase dvd 1 of Sander's set as opinions on this Café weren't that positive towards it. But I'm beginning to get enticed as you mentioned about his 'card to mouth trick'. How good is that trick as compared to the other tricks in his dvd set? Is that the only good trick on that dvd? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Lonewolf123-

I cant remember which effects were on which dvd. Also, I store all of my dvd's in a binder, not in their original cases. Without going to my storage unit to pull the disc cases, I am not much help. You should be able to find an index to each disc online.

As to the strength of the card to mouth trick, it is simply incredible. Moreover, it is very easy to do. Here is a quick but probably clumsy description of the trick:

You turn your back to the audience, put a deck of cards behind your back and riffle through them until your spectator selects her card by saying "stop." After the everyone sees the selected card, you release the riffle break. Without moving your hands off the deck, you slowly turn around (now facing the specs) and the selected card is now shown in your mouth. You can then spread the deck and show that the spec's card has vanished from the deck. No deck switch involved. Pure genius.

It sounds impossible, but it happens exactly as described. No sleights and nothing complicated. It is a cliche, but this effect alone is worht the price of the dvd. Sanders should have released this as a stand-alone effect. It is that good.

Cheers,

Tiki
I agree with Tiki, the Card to Mouth effect is excellent. It looks so fair - you simply turn around as you hold the deck behind your back. At no point does it seem like a card could reach your mouth. I had an idea in mind for the method before watching the DVD, but I was way off -- Richard's handling is so simple and fair.

There's a load of great stuff on these DVD's. Lots of ideas to expand upon too. I'm extremely pleased with this set.
From the reviews it seems to be a good set to buy.
Thanks guys for the advice. Much appreciated =).
It uses the same gaff in the trick 'discovered' right?...haha