(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite effect from Mnemonica?
I hear many people recommend Mnemonica, but I hear so few say, which tricks they actually use from this book. I know there are many gems in there, but actually learning them well, and performing them for people, is the only way to know their true effect. I've been performing Come and Go from page 214 and it seems to be getting good reactions. Better than I thought it would, my routine is slightly different from the book, as I believe a few more offbeats make the sequence flow more smoothly. But all in all, a good effect.
Now that the book has been out for a bit, what are you favorites, and which ones do you use or see yourself using?
One of the easiest trick and most powerful in the book is the one called Mnemonicosis.

But let me check my copy again this evening to remember my favourites.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero :bikes:
I'll answer generally: it's the material with the half stack that I'm most excited about, because I'm not a professional and rarely do formal performances, deck switches, bridge deals, etc. But with his techniques for generating a half stack during a prior trick, and the openness of handling that the half stack permits, you can do some miracles. --Ezra.
I could tell you which items fit me and work well in my performing environment. I could even tell you why I think certain items play stronger for me than others.

I'm not going to do that because it simply makes no sense. It would be similar to the situation in which I might show you which type of clothes suit my body type. It's a moderately useful exercise, but it won't tell you which clothes will fit you, and it won't really save you any time (or be very useful to anyone else, for that matter.)

I think you already know the right approach: pick a few items that appeal to you and fit your performing situation, and get to work. Understand each effect's structure, and figure out how to make the effect fit you. Then, take a new effect out in front of audiences, and record (a small sound recording device is probably sufficient) the results. Analyze what happened, and fix the problems. Rinse and repeat...
All of a Kind
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Nov 30, 2004 04:52PM)
Not Mnemonicosis. Why do so many people like this effect?
Maybe because is one of the easiest effect in the book. ;)

Itīs true, if you ask around here in Spain, lot of people will say "mnemonicosis", just because they bought the book, saw its stuff is quite difficult, tried to find the easiest effect and done.

Thatīs why I said joking: mnemonicosis :rotf:

I will list my favourites later (I didnīt remember all of them by his real name in Spanish).

All the best magic,

I'm a little confused by the way you guys are talking about Mnemonicosis. Don't you think it's an amazing effect??

And secondly, I don't regard it as easy, exactly. I would think it would take a lot of experience to elevate it to the miracle it could be.

--Ezra.
I think you are right Ezra. The concept is simple. The execution is very difficult. Tamariz makes this stuff look easy. It's not. To make Mnemonicosis work will take a lot of private practice and then a lot of practice with real people. It's all about attitude and sales pitch. The physical workings are simple. The real work will take a LONG time to perfect.

Mike
I agree with you in some things.

Mnemonicosis needs Experience to be sold as a miracle. Thatīs true. It is not a easy effect to be performed by anyone. What it is extremely easy is "the trick".

And thatīs why I think is one of the most popular effect with Tamarizīs memorized deck.

All the best magic,

I'm looking for the best effects on mnemonica Tamariz books, and I find this topic... but almos nobody answer this...

So Please, wich is the best effect in your opinions???
I guess that after the massive hype around the book, most readers without experience with the memorized deck begin to realize, just how difficult effective magic with a memorized deck really is.
SO, PLEASE! Can Anyone, with that experience, just talk about your favourite routine?

I'm now an expert with the memorized deck! :) :)
Bball5650,

Reading and learning is a personal journey. Come and go is a great trick, you found it yourself, now go find the other gems. When I bought this book I went through it trick by trick and word by word. I made notes on every item and then went back to the items I particularly liked. You will be rewarded by doing the same.
I'm reading all the book, and choosing the best tricks... But I'm just curious to know wich is the best effect in YOUR opinion. This post has, now, almost 400 views, and almost nobody could answer the question posted by Bball5630.

Please.....one more time...... wich is the best effect in your opinion???

This is the last time I ask... :( :( :( :(

Thanks anyway.
I donīt own the English version, but I will try to translate to English the Spanish titles of my favourite effects from the book:

- Control In The Chaos (Aronson-Rioobo)

- The Rite (Ceremony) of Initiation (Luis Garcia)

- ŋThe Reserve guard? (in spanish is "La Imaginaria")

- Total Spelling

- Total Memory

Just for name the first coming to my mind.

As someone recommend before, the best is to read the book, and find the best by yourself. There are more than 100 effects, and sure more than 90% could be considered "great effects", so choosing the favourites is very difficult.

All the best magic,

Hi Pablo! Thanks for the replay! :)

I have the Spanish version !!! :) :) :)

"Sinfonia En Mnemonica Mayor Vol. 1 & 2 " :) :)

Thanks!!
Can someone help me with the name of a trick.

On penguin, the demo show 2 effects. I would like to have the name of the second effect.

Description : Magician ask someone to think of any card. He then ask someone else to think of any number between 1-52. He then place is deck like he want.

When the people name the card and the number...is correspond exactly.

thanks
That effect was staged. Don't marketing gimmicks suck?

However, in the real world you can perform any of the variation of A Card At Any Number. The only thing that I suggest is to learn the deck cold first. As soon as they say a card you need to be able to know where it lies in the deck. Also, if you need to, work on your math. If you have to sit for a second while adding or subtracting it will diminish the impact. A second after the number is named you need to have the math worked out.

And don't feel bad if you don't have it down yet. I know the deck quite well, but feel that I don't have the deck down pat enough to be able to perform this effect well enough to do it justice. There are plenty of hard hitting effects to perform that give you leeway in the meantime.
I like divination, Mnemonicosis, and total memory. I'm still working on making total memory more convincing and working on the patter.

I'm working on the Larreverse for All of a Kind ( I think that is what it is called) Does anyone do this trick. It seems like a fascinating trick.
I've performed All of A Kind. For the correct situation, it creates an effect that is way out of proportion to the method required...
In my experience Mnemocosis and Devination are both powerful effects providing some thought is put into the presentation. Don't pass these by simply because the mechanics are relatively straight forward. Just my view from performing these.
Regarding Mnemonicosis: This effect depends on the performer's other skills with a deck of cards, and the ability to think on your feat. It is the same effect that Michael Close performs with the Aronson stack and calls "Jazzin." Masterful and experienced card workers can make this into a killer effect. Lesser mortals will get less out of it.

I have a new favorite effect in Mnemonica, although I just discovered it a few days ago and I'm working on it. But it entertains me almost more than any other card effect I know of. On page 106 of Mnemonica, Juan Tamariz describes the Musical revelation called “Sha-La_La-La-La.” He mentions the song “Oh Suzanna.” It occured to me that you should use this when you have a spectator named Suzanna or possibly Susan or Susie. Tamariz mentions that you can also use any four line poem that has four beats to a line. I immediately occured to me that it should be possible to find other common names that are contained in common tunes or stanzas of poetry. So far, I've gound good ones for these names: Matthew, Cindy, John, Jack, Tom or Tommy or Thomas, Mary, George or Georgie, Jill, Peter, Bill or William or Willie, Richard or Dick or Dickie, Merilee, and Simon. I'm sure there are more out there to be discovered. I also can use four well known snippets of verse: The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carol- Twinkle- Twinkle- Little Star, London Bridges falling down (If you have a british spectator - especially one from London,) and my University of Michigan Fight Song - The Victors. (Yes, I'm a U of M alumnus.)

This can easily be worked into Jazzin' or Mnemonicosis when you get a spectator with a name you can work with.

Dennis Loomis
Can Mnemonicosis be performed with an Aronson stack?
[quote]
On 2012-09-20 07:45, magicman491 wrote:
Can Mnemonicosis be performed with an Aronson stack?
[/quote]

Yes, it can. You could use almost any memorized deck for this effect.
Hi Dennis, All,

1) Found your points on Mnemonicosis very pertinent. I've recently taken to thinking about how else I could have further strengthened my presentation and method after every performance. As an example I recently performed the standard presentation for a female spec at her 30th Birthday Party. I had the spec cut and they spell their name to reveal their chosen card, the 5C.

It was only as the spec was dealing that it hit me that I'd missed an even bigger effect (users of Mnemonic stack may have got there already).

I was several metres away from the deck and the spec. It was her 30th and she'd chosen the 30th card - and I missed it! I think by challenging yourself to think of alternatives you begin to bring some real creativity and greater strength to the effect and are more prepared every time you perform.

2) Would be interested to hear any views on presentation of Devination style effects. I've found this can generate different responses from extremely strong (almost disturbing!) reaction to much less impactful. The difference seemed to be down to the extent to which the 'process' is demonstrated - verbalising what you're 'seeing' seems to be key in my eperience but would value hearing anyone else's experiences and presentational suggestions.

Duncan
Does Bound to Please have an ACAAN routine in it?
Hey magicman491, I guess if you ask this question in EVERY forum SOMEONE will eventually answer it! I don't have the book or I'd answer it. Also, if you use a mem deck, why not develop your own routine?
[quote]On 2012-09-20 10:42, BarryFernelius wrote:
[quote]On 2012-09-20 07:45, magicman491 wrote:
Can Mnemonicosis be performed with an Aronson stack?[/quote]
Yes, it can. You could use almost any memorized deck for this effect.[/quote]
Only "almost"?

;)
Magicman - I've had a very, very quick look to remind me - the stack effects in Bound to Please focus primarily on poker deals and spelling effects.

If you're truly fascinated with ACAAN there's some advanced material in the Berglas Effects by Kaufman which has recently been republished. Also Born to Be by John Born outlines an interesting approach. Bear in mind both are pretty advanced so would recommend you get a grounding in more rudimentary effects with stacks before getting into these.
[quote]
On 2012-09-22 05:53, ramsaymagic wrote:
Magicman - I've had a very, very quick look to remind me - the stack effects in Bound to Please focus primarily on poker deals and spelling effects.
[/quote]
No, this is wrong! It is a memorized stack with which you can do poker deals as well. But that's a side effect. The stack is created to do MD work, not poker demos a. s. o. But you can do many things with a memorized deck which are not specific properties of such a stack. It is nice to have certain things in it as well, but not more. And to see what you can do you should have studied also "Try the Impossible" (Aronson). Jan
[quote]
On 2012-09-21 10:14, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]On 2012-09-20 10:42, BarryFernelius wrote:
[quote]On 2012-09-20 07:45, magicman491 wrote:
Can Mnemonicosis be performed with an Aronson stack?[/quote]
Yes, it can. You could use almost any memorized deck for this effect.[/quote]
Only "almost"?

;)
[/quote]

One of my friends has memorized the Si Stebbins stack. Technically, that's a memorized deck. In this effect, the strong patterns might be hard to hide.

Mnemonicosis can be performed with any memorized deck that looks sufficiently random. What constitutes 'sufficiently random' is left as an exercise for the student. :)
There are also a lot of poker deals in Mnemonica. As Jan Forster says, they are not the primary reason to memorize a stack. There are so very many effects which can only be performed with a mem-deck and even more effects that can be performed with a mem-deck that are not dependent on having memorized the deck and which maintain the stack so that you can do any mem-deck routine as well. There are a handful of effects which are stack specific to the Aronson Stack or to Mnemonica, but not very many.Simon and Juan built some effects into their stacks, but many other effects have been created or discovered. For example, I'm fond of Aces Awry from "Try the Impossible." Simon did not put that in when he first created the stack.

This suggest an interesting thoughts. As many of you know, a series of 8 Out Faros will get a deck back into it's original order. Mike Close, and others, often capitolize on this by starting a set two or three out faros from having a deck in their chosen mem-deck order. Then when they first remove the deck from it's case, they give it two or three Faro's which establishes they mem-deck but which appears to the spectators as some pretty thorough shuffling. The question is, what wonderful effects may be waiting to be discovered in deck six or seven of the stack? If any of you are so inclined, I would urge you to download Nick Pudar's marvelous program "Stackview" to your computer. With a single click you can progress through that series of out Faros and at each stage you have a picture of the order the cards will be in. In just a minute or two of looking, for example, I discovered that in the first sequence created with an out faro from the Aronson stack, all four Queens are in the bottom 12 cards of the deck. Specifically they are at positions 41, 44, 48, and 51. A location effect with the Queens can certainly be devised from that knowledge. In the sequence of cards created by doing 2 out faros with the Aronson Stack, the Kings are all in the first 16 cards of the stack, falling at 2, 5, 15, and 16. Additionally, two of the deuces happen to be adjacent at positions 48 and 49. In the next stack there are two Jacks adjacent on top of the deck. (Since these are out Faros, the top card, the Jack of Spades, and the bottom card, the Nine of Diamonds always remain at those positions.

Should any of you be inclined to join in the search, please let us know what you find.

Some will say that the big factor in choosing Mnemonica over the other choices is that you can get into new deck order which is a killer effect. And conversely, you can get from new deck order into Mnemonica. I would point out that there are ways to get into new deck order with a regular deck. See the work of Lennert Green. And, most any magician can get into new deck order during a card routine by switching in the deck. If you plan to do that, then you might be well advised to do a trick or two where the order is maintained and during which the faces are not see. (Which would prematurely betray the fact that the deck is in new deck order.)

Dennis Loomis
Dennis -

I also have worked on discovering patterns in the stack I use (Mnemonica) after numerous faros. I've been mostly concerned with "orders" after 5, 6, or 7 out-faros with the eventual goal to come up with effects that would exploit the patterns found. Also don't limit yourself to faroing from "home" position:
For example, since you use the Aronson stack, cut card 21 to the bottom and do 6 out-faros. Look at the cards that are now on top of the deck!

There probably should be a whole thread on this topic...
Tom
Hi Tom,
Thanks for sharing that one. I hope that you don't mind if I share your suggestion. To other Faro Guys: if you do what Tom says, you get a 7 card straight-flush in hearts from the AH down to the 8H. Yup, absolutely amazing.

Dennis Loomis
Nice :). Jan
I'm sure there are lots of other patterns to be discovered....
"Only "almost"? "

The poker stuff is often stack specific, as are techniques for going from new-deck to stay-stack, full stack, etc.

In he same way that Triple Coincidence is "easy," with respect to how demanding the one sleight is, most memorized-deck effects are more difficult to successfully present than they appear. Eric Mead has good thoughts on integrating false shuffles and false cuts that, while not strictly necessary to do most memorized-deck effects, substantially enhance the deceptiveness, particularly with a protracted memorized-deck routine. Also, Mnemonica uses lots of challenging sleights (and has an excellent section on many of them) that, in concert with a memorized deck, makes for exceptionally baffling tricks. As is alluded to above, though, even the most baffling trick, without more, will often under-deliver. There's a perilous allure to anything "self-working." Every time I've lazily hoped that a particularly baffling trick would essentially speak for itself has been a complete disappointment.
-
To R. E. Byrnes,

Magic is, and always will be, a performing art. The strongest impact will be earned by the best performer. Some tricks may be inherently better than others, but the real difference is in the performance. Have you ever wondered why, when you tell a joke you heard on TV last night, you don't usually get anywhere near the laughs that the comedian did? It's because he's spent a long time learning how to be funny and he's told that joke possibly thousands of time before.

I agree with you totally that there is no such thing as a "self-working" trick.

I don't think that I would try to do most any memorized deck effect without incorporating False Shuffles and False Cuts. And I don't think that Mike Close, or Eric Mead, or Simon Aronson or Juan Tamariz would either. Most mem-deck effects REQUIRE that the audience believe that the deck is in random order. The only other way to create that impression is by switching decks. So, if you are going to learn some mem-deck magic, plan on learning one or two false shuffles. The good old Erdnase or Haymow shuffle is easy to master and really fools lay people. Then work on a good riffle shuffle (I recommend the Zarrow or the Heinstein,) and a false overhand shuffle. (I'd recommend you look at all of the overhand shuffle controls and shuffles in Royal Road to Card Magic.)

Then, add some false cuts to your repertoire. They are quite easy and there are many of them in the literature. If I were only going to recommend one, it would be the Frank Garcia Affas Gaffas cut which is in the Card College series.

Thanks for your post.

Dennis Loomis
What an interesting comparison to jokes - which, where good, are assumed to be "self-working." That really does make the application to magic vivid.
What is the effect called in Mnemonica ,one by one a bunch of cards the spectator holds in his hands is named by the performer without seeing them?

I love Mnemonicosis. I have had my best reactions from it. It's quick and takes a bit thinking on your feet, but it is well worth it.
One reaction I remember is the spectator just could not believe that he cut to his card. He actually said "I feel sick "
I was over the moon with that.
Mnemonicosis - thinking on your feet is fun. Thought of Cards to pocket is another fun one to break out every now and then.
Jumbled Divination is powerful.
Menemonicosis is among my favorites things to do casually, never as a set piece. And Doc Mahendra was right, the simplest card revelation can be a powerhouse.
I love his approach to ACAAN, also Any Cards Called For. And the last one, Three Crown Jewels.

cheers
Mnemonicosis it's really powwerful indeed.