(Close Window)
Topic: Three Stylin by Lee Asher
Does anyone know if Three Stylin by Lee Asher is a good commercial effect to do at a magic competition?

I was thinking of purchasing this effect but need some reviews. Also does anyone know if each chip moves magically from finger tip to finger tip or is it only one of the colors that does all the moving?

I developed my own ungimmicked version but it's only one color moving... is this lee asher's version?

Please advise.
Thanks
Only one chip does all the moving. and IMO I don't think it would b a good effect for a competition, but that again is just my opinion.

Best,
Joe
[quote]
On 2004-12-07 16:23, RideorDie99 wrote:...a good commercial effect to do at a magic competition...[/quote]

Magic competitions are usually not the best places to perform routines that are geared to lay audiences ( = commercial ).

Think about what you want to show jaded and self important critics who wish to offer judgement... and find something that will either allow you to shine as a performer or fool the hats off them. Or both.
Three stylin is somewhat of a good effect for a magic competition, depending on how you incorporate it. I know someone who used it with a gambling theme with several other effects, and got 3rd place among about 15 other people. Great effect!!! Personally I think it is an effect slightly geared more towards magicians.
Hi everyone. I just rec'd my Three Stylin today by Lee Asher. Boy, he's super fast in shipping the item! Jonathan Townsend "Visual Coins Across" is first on his ref. list of folks that he wants to credit his invention with poker chips. I haven't never seen a 3-fly effect with poker chips. It's great and it's gonna to be in my routine! I like it as it's easy to perform unlike Goshman's Pitch, etc. However, I know every effect has its advantages and disadvantages. Three Stylin' just works for me. Happy posting, guys and gals!
Only the red chip moves the whole time. I like the effect. The effect is very similar to Paul Wilson's Crowded Coins. It is nice effect, very simple. It is also very easy to add things to it, like curl palm, edge grip, downs palm...

With these additions, it can look very clean, but as it is, hmm.
All I can say is having seen it done several times... For laymen and CROWDS of magicians... This trick rocks... Nuff said.
I'm puzzled. Three different color chips and only one moves?
[quote]
I'm puzzled. Three different color chips and only one moves?
[/quote]
Yep, only one (Red one)chip moves every time. If I'm remembering correctly each time after the chip travels, you then transfer the chips around so you can make the same (Red) chip jump/fly.

Best,
Joe
However, this flies by by laymen and even magicians!

Really, just about every knowledgable magician after seeing it once will be sure you probably have a CS coin somewhere on you or otherwise have more than the standard 4 coins.... it really does seem as if many coins are traveling!
It isn't just the routine, which is excellent. Like Paul Wilson, Lee also writes about the psychology and proper blocking of the routine. Applicable to all variations.
It's worth having.
The International-type Three Flys I'm familiar with - Three Stylin is in this category - all seem to have the aspect of having one of the coins travelling at least twice. This is true with Nate Kranso's and Reed McClintock's routine. Doesn't appear to be a problem for the audience.
It will be interesting to see if some clever magician can make each coin/chip travel. Someone must have by now.
Lee Asher has done a great job with the illustration. They are printed on very good quality of paper and thus make it a pleasure to read and flip thru the booklet. Lee points out the psychology and the proper techniques in a clear style to do this flawlessly. You can almost hear Lee cheerful demeanor talking to you as you read his notes and instruction. Lee reminds me of Jay Sankey that both stress the organicity of routines and simplicity. I highly recommend Three Stylin by Lee Asher to all 3-flys afficionado.
I've only seen the effect performed once and I noticed that only one chip did all the flying, but then again I'm jaded. I'm sure it is awesome for laymen, just not a routine for me.
I'm not sure how these types of routines really play for audiences. I've seen a number of people perform them and the all get less than mediocre responses. I am of the mind that the first one to travel, in these type of routines(3Fly) is the strongest and the effect weakens subsequently. Maybe changing the texture (you know what I mean) of each phase might help.
Talk amongst yourselves...
JTW
Think about this. When entering a magic competition the judges are looking for someone that has both a)technically mastered the routine b)is entertaining to watch and has well prepared presentation c)is original. Those (to my knowledge) are the very most important things to consider. By choosing a marketed trick you are automatically kicking yourself out of the running because you'll fail in originality. Stick to stuff that is yours. In my contest act, almost everything in it is original, and the rest is someone else's idea; not a marketed effect. You will go nowhere in a contest with a marketed effect UNLESS its used drastically differently.

Just my $0.02.

Ben
Or it's new and fresh enough.
In the one and only close-up contest I ever won, Three Fly was my opener or I should say part of it. I produced them from a coin purse frame, Three-Flyed them and then vanished them one by one ending clean with just the purse frame.
But that was when Chris Kenner's Out of Control was the only version circulating. I made some drastic changes to it and tacked on a beginning and end.
Don't think that routine would win any awards now. Three Fly has been beat to death.
You know I just realized I've never done that or any Three Fly routine for laymen. Hmmmmm.
I just want to clarify that RFA productions did all the illustration, design and layout on Three Stylin by Lee Asher. You guys/gals can view RFA productions other great work at http://www.rfaproductions.com/
Three stylin' is a great effect for laymen but I don't think its good for comp.
Three Stylin' is similar to one of Jay Sankey's effect. I would have to agree with the TheFish on this one. It's a gret trick for lay people but for a competition it is not very good.
Well, if Asher entered a competition and took the old idea of 3-Fly and simply presented it in his updated version of 3-Stylin', with all the hoopla about it, perhaps it might've won him the competition. Truly, nothing really new under the sun, in most cases it's just new to you. Hence what we call "originality"...perhaps just the first person to see something, to see a possibility that was really always there. ;)
Munch, what effect of sankey's are your talking about
Fish,
you should do some research! I am not exactly sure what the name of it is but if you are curious then watch every video of Sankey on Penguin. I think I saw it on there. the address is http://www.penguinmagic.com
I have mAny of sankeys videos and DVD and I Rev. coin magic and if it is a three fly effect then it would be on there. there are many coins aross but none similar to three stylin'
I have seen Lee show 'three stylin', and its a very visual effect and easy to follow the routine, due to it's use of coloured poker chips, I have always found it difficult to follow coins.
Nice and neat effect.
Remember the effect should entertain a non lay audience too. So I would recommend this effect for your competition.
The use of chips makes it completely international.
Dave
I just don't understand why someone would settle for a routine that has only one coin/chip "flying" across while there are routines out there, McClintock and Kranzo's, that have two different coin/chips "flying" across. This is justmy observation. Cheers,

Bill
[quote]
On 2005-10-03 23:38, coinmagic143 wrote:
I just don't understand why someone would settle for a routine that has only one coin/chip "flying" across while there are routines out there, McClintock and Kranzo's, that have two different coin/chips "flying" across. This is justmy observation. Cheers,

Bill
[/quote]

C'mon man. Poker is huge right now! You cannot turn on the TV without seeing some poker game on at least one station. Asher's routine is current. Lee did this for me before he even put it out. I thought he had some special chips because I sure as hell saw every chip flying! That is the way it is structured. I perform this routine for the larger tables at the restaurants where I perform (angles permitting). It kills! A buddy of mine who has seen it a couple times told me that I must have six chips, yet my hands never came near eachother(hehe)! I have seen a pile of three-fly routines and this is my favorite. The only one I perform!
I understand what you are saying and yes I agree using chips is MORE up to date than coins. However, my question is why use a routine in which only ONE coin goes vice a routine where you are able to get TWO coins across. Again this is just my opinion. The Asher routine is OK, but I prefer one of the other routines I mentioned. So to me it's not whether the chip is better than the coin, it's about the construction of the routine. Cheers,

Bill
Hey 143, if you're looking for something different in a 3-Fly as obviously 3-Stylin ain't doing it for you, then take a look at Mickey Silver's "Spit Fly," it's absolutely magical and a very different take/approach on all this fingertip coins across stuff. It's amazingly different than anything out there in the 3-Fly family of things! ;)
[quote]
On 2005-10-04 22:38, coinmagic143 wrote:
I understand what you are saying and yes I agree using chips is MORE up to date than coins. However, my question is why use a routine in which only ONE coin goes vice a routine where you are able to get TWO coins across. Again this is just my opinion. The Asher routine is OK, but I prefer one of the other routines I mentioned. So to me it's not whether the chip is better than the coin, it's about the construction of the routine. Cheers,

Bill
[/quote]

You are thinking like a magician. The audience believes that all the chips travel...
[quote]
On 2005-10-05 21:42, Magic w/ HART wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-04 22:38, coinmagic143 wrote:
...it's about the construction of the routine... [/quote]

You are thinking like a magician. The audience believes that all the chips travel...
[/quote]

On a good day, all they will remember is whether or not they liked you and your magic.
Magic W/HART, I do understand what you are saying and I guess it's just a personal preference of mine knowing two go instead of one. I think Asher has a good routine and I'm sure audiences, laymen and magician, enjoy the routine and that's awesome, just not for me.

Mb, where could I see a performance of Spit Fly?

JT, your right, when it's all said and done it boils down to whether they enjoyed you as a performer and your magic. Again, it just boils down to personal preference. Now to get back to the original reasoning for this post, I don't believe this routine would be good for a competition. Thanks for your input guys. Cheers,

Bill
[quote]
On 2005-10-05 21:42, Magic w/ HART wrote:
[/quote]
Is this true? My understanding is that each of the three chips is a different color, but in each phase of the routine, the red chip is the only one that travels. Somebody please clarify.
There is a video clip of the routine done somewhere around, posted recently. Yes, the red chip flies thrice. The routine seems to flow nicely and unless you make a point of announcing the colors, the thing should go by smoothly.
It is the red chip that flies every time, yet the way Lee structures the routine, he never calls attention to the colors. To laymen it just seems like three poker chips fly from one hand to the other.

Check it out at http://www.leeasher.com/three_stylin.htm

On his lecture tour Lee can never keep these sets in stock. The poker chips are shimmed as well, which allows you to ditch the last chip with a magnet, etc...
[quote]
On 2005-10-05 23:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

On a good day, all they will remember is whether or not they liked you and your magic.
[/quote]

Jonathan, this is the best thing you have ever said in your 10,473+ posts! All performing magicians should tack it on their wall and read it every day!

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Coinmagic43, you gotta reach out to Mickey Silver. It's on one of his free dvd's that he sends around. You're gonna love it, along with all the other stuff on the disk! :)
Mb, thanks I appreciate that and Mickey did PM me saying he'd be willing to send out the DVD, so I'll have to wait til I get back into town. Thanks again,

Cheers,

Bill
[quote]
On 2005-10-06 22:07, sullivanl wrote:
It is the red chip that flies every time, yet the way Lee structures the routine, he never calls attention to the colors.
[/quote]

Then why even [i]use[/i] chips of different colors? By using different colored chips, you [i]are[/i] calling attention to it.

The ad at the link above states, “Without color, you have just another standard coin effect,” and “Without any fast movements or flashy distractions, the chips begin traveling across magically to the left hand – one at a time!”

The implication here is that the effect is [i]more[/i] spectacular than a standard three-fly because three [i]unique and different[/i] objects travel from one hand to the other. If it's just one chip traveling three times, you’re defeating the entire purpose of using uniquely colored objects in the first place. And thus, the effect is actually [i]less[/i] impressive than one with same-colored chips, or... COINS, because in a coin routine, even if the same coin travels each time, the audience is unwaware of it because they all look the same.

Anybody?
You can create a lot of magical moments in a spectators mind using discrepancies. Classic sleight of hand routines are full of them. The Elmsley Count a widely used move found in hundreds of tricks that has a rather glaring discrepancy, yet if flies by laymen every time.
[quote]
On 2005-10-07 12:07, Rob Elliott wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-06 22:07, sullivanl wrote:
It is the red chip that flies every time, yet the way Lee structures the routine, he never calls attention to the colors.
[/quote]

Then why even [i]use[/i] chips of different colors? By using different colored chips, you [i]are[/i] calling attention to it.

The ad at the link above states, “Without color, you have just another standard coin effect,” and “Without any fast movements or flashy distractions, the chips begin traveling across magically to the left hand – one at a time!”

The implication here is that the effect is [i]more[/i] spectacular than a standard three-fly because three [i]unique and different[/i] objects travel from one hand to the other. If it's just one chip traveling three times, you’re defeating the entire purpose of using uniquely colored objects in the first place. And thus, the effect is actually [i]less[/i] impressive than one with same-colored chips, or... COINS, because in a coin routine, even if the same coin travels each time, the audience is unwaware of it because they all look the same.

Anybody?
[/quote]

Have you ever done three stylin for lay people? Didn't think so...I don't know how many times I can say this, LAY PEOPLE THINK THAT EVERY CHIP TRAVELS! Until you have (honestly) tried it for a lay audience don't knock it. Think of it this way, if you are using identical coins for three-fly I believe it is much easier for an observant spectator to guess that you have an extra coin. With the multi colored chips you are getting credit for something you don't even do. Lee lives three blocks away from me and he showed me this before it was ever released, I thought that he had some gimmicked chips because I SAW every chip travel. I should mention that at the time I was familiar with other routines ala Kenner, Townsend, Wilson, Kranzo, etc.
Nuff said, IMHO.
[quote]
On 2005-10-07 18:40, Magic w/ HART wrote:...I should mention that at the time I was familiar with other routines ala Kenner, [b]Townsend[/b], Wilson, Kranzo, etc.
Nuff said, IMHO. [/quote]

Yup, you crossed the line there. Nuff said indeed. Later. :(
Folks it's OK to disagree. Obviously some like this trick and some do not and it all boils down to their own personal likes and dislikes. Cheers,

Bill
[quote]
On 2005-10-07 19:24, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-07 18:40, Magic w/ HART wrote:...I should mention that at the time I was familiar with other routines ala Kenner, [b]Townsend[/b], Wilson, Kranzo, etc.
Nuff said, IMHO. [/quote]

Yup, you crossed the line there. Nuff said indeed. Later. :(
[/quote]

I crossed what line? Should I be scared? Oh wait, you never leave your computer...

Has the Café ever offered you a job? They should...
I can't believe this, The line you crossed is simple Jon never put in print his routine, so how can you say you are fimiliar with it? That is the line, The kenner routine was put in print with out Jon knowing. With all due respect to Kenner he did give credit to Jon but mayby just mayby Jon didn't want the finger tips across out at that time or at any time. That is why he has not released his version yet.
The coments you made about Jon never leaving his computer is rude and un called for. If you have a problem with him pm him and work it out. He was just stating how he felt about you putting his name in with the others that have done work on the finger tips across and just so happens that non of them wouldn't be doing it with out his initial work on it.

PLAY NICE!

Tpdmagic
I mentioned his name out of RESPECT! I knew he was on this thread so I figured I should mention his name seeing how he is credited in a lot of the routines I have looked at. Of course I don't have HIS routine. But like you say, Tpmagic, if it wasn't for him there would be no fingertips coins across.

I CROSSED NO LINE. IF I PUBLISHED OR EXPOSED HIS ROUTINE THAT WOULD BE CROSSING THE LINE. MENTIONING HIS NAME ALONG WITH OTHERS TO GIVE PROPER CREDIT IS ONLY BEING RESPECTFULL. I SHOULD HAVE LET JT BE PART OF THE "etc."

And what if I was familiar with his routine? Would that be crossing the line? What would you do about that? NOTHING...
LIKE I SAID WORK IT OUT WITH HIM! I JUST FELT THE NAME CALLING WAS NOT CALLED FOR!
Magic w/o heart, claiming familiarity with my work, especially if true, on this public thread was crossing the line with me.

The few who do have access to my work are under NDA/NC agreement on the stuff.

Getting back to Lee's item, the suggestion about using a magnet is very good.
[quote]
On 2005-10-07 18:40, Magic w/ HART wrote:
I don't know how many times I can say this, LAY PEOPLE THINK THAT EVERY CHIP TRAVELS!
[/quote]
Yeah. COLOR BLIND laypeople.

[quote]
I believe it is much easier for an observant spectator to guess that you have an extra coin.
[/quote]
But an observant spectator isn't going to notice that only the red coin travels?

[quote]
Lee lives three blocks away from me and he showed me this before it was ever released.
[/quote]
So, is it the effect you're defending, or your friend?

And you’ve got a lot of gall claiming you have respect for Jonathan one post after you insult him, not once, but twice. Seems like the only thing you respect is your own opinion.
I agree there are folks out there that will fight tooth and nail for one to "see" it their way, that's because they truly cannot open their eyes to "see" themselves. That's why above, I felt it NECESSARY to say it's OK to disagree. :). Cheers,

Bill
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 10, 2005 11:51AM)
Bill, did you ask Mickey about seeing his "spitfly"? It was on one of his demo videos.

Most who fight or take are also those who have none of the things one needs to do art. Hence the variations and credit issues involving names whose claims are economic or political as opposed to artistic.
Message: Posted by: Silly Walter the Polar Bear (Oct 10, 2005 08:13PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-08 17:29, Magic w/ HART wrote:
I mentioned his name out of RESPECT! I knew he was on this thread so I figured I should mention his name seeing how he is credited in a lot of the routines I have looked at. Of course I don't have HIS routine. But like you say, Tpmagic, if it wasn't for him there would be no fingertips coins across.

I CROSSED NO LINE. IF I PUBLISHED OR EXPOSED HIS ROUTINE THAT WOULD BE CROSSING THE LINE. MENTIONING HIS NAME ALONG WITH OTHERS TO GIVE PROPER CREDIT IS ONLY BEING RESPECTFULL. I SHOULD HAVE LET JT BE PART OF THE "etc."

And what if I was familiar with his routine? Would that be crossing the line? What would you do about that? NOTHING...
[/quote]

Someone really crossed the line not too long ago when a post inferred that Jon Townsend didn't publish the routine because he didn't come up with it. I am pretty sure it got removed.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 10, 2005 08:32PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-10 21:13, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:...Someone really crossed the line not too long ago when a post inferred that Jon Townsend didn't publish the routine because he didn't come up with it. I am pretty sure it got removed.
[/quote]

Not as far as I know, though I would express my surprise at such a statement. Unless the statement were made along with otherwise flaming invective I doubt it would be removed. The Café staff are fine with disagreements etc as long as the langage remains civil.
Give the guy a break, he crossed no line at all. I'm sorry to intervene in something I have nothing to do with, but you guys have nothing to do with this either... I hate seeing everybody falling on top of someone just because he mentioned a name... If Jon's touchy on this subject, we are not supposed to know. Moreover, Jon has a mouth (and fingers)and can reply himself (and he did), he doesn't need attorneys. I think.

Please calm down everybody. Peace.

Phedon
[quote]
On 2005-10-10 12:18, Rob Elliott wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-07 18:40, Magic w/ HART wrote:
I don't know how many times I can say this, LAY PEOPLE THINK THAT EVERY CHIP TRAVELS!
[/quote]
Yeah. COLOR BLIND laypeople.

[quote]
I believe it is much easier for an observant spectator to guess that you have an extra coin.
[/quote]
But an observant spectator isn't going to notice that only the red coin travels?

[quote]
Lee lives three blocks away from me and he showed me this before it was ever released.
[/quote]
So, is it the effect you're defending, or your friend?

And you’ve got a lot of gall claiming you have respect for Jonathan one post after you insult him, not once, but twice. Seems like the only thing you respect is your own opinion.
[/quote]

You are a funny guy Mr. Elliot. Just a couple of posts ago you are claryfying what the effect even is. Now you are knocking it. I KNOW that you have not performed this for lay people, I HAVE, many times. It is pointless to even talk with you about the psychology of this effect because you have no experience with it. BTW, the only reason I mentioned the story about Lee was to illustrate that before I knew anything about this routine I thought that all the chips traveled.

As for the "drama" with Mr. Townsend. He sent me a PM regarding a comment I made on another thread, acting like the Café police. The comment I made, or should I say question, was so harmless that I laughed out loud when I got the "JT Police Post".

Then I go and accidentally mention his name when mentioning MANY other names and he tells me that I am crossing the line. You're right, I might have been out of line to say what I said, but look how many posts this guy has! C'mon guys, I said "Townsend", was that really out of line? I feel sorry for Mr. Townsend if that offends him.

Mr. Townsend, I said your name, do you realy think of yourself so sacred that I crossed the line? Is it my fault that you didn't publish your routine? Did I hit a sore spot? I'm sorry that you thought that I crossed the line but it is so trivial that I am not sure that I even care anymore.
[quote]
On 2005-10-08 21:03, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Magic w/o heart[/quote]

Oh yeah, I take it were even on the insults?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 11, 2005 05:10AM)
Things usually go better when the thread stays on topic, in this case Lee and his routine with the poker chips.

If you want to discuss personal matters, the PM system here works fine.

[quote]You're right, I might have been out of line to say what I said, but look how many posts this guy has! [/quote]

Thanks for at least suggesting that you might be reconsidering your words. Unfortunately the "but" acts to negate that part of your sentence. There is a riddle in the "words we use" section about that language pattern.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 11, 2005 06:38AM)
If the shoe fits...

[quote]
On 2005-10-11 06:09, magic w/o heart wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-08 21:03, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Magic w/o heart[/quote]
Oh yeah, I take it were even on the insults?
[/quote]

You claimed knowledge you either do not have, or announced a breach of confidence. I addressed your insult as being w/o heart.

[quote]...but it is so trivial that I am not sure that I even care anymore.[/quote]

Other people's feelings are "trivial" ??

There is an art to writing. We're not going to get into that today.
JT,

Yes Mickey PMed me and I received his demo dvd. I believe his spit fly is on there, I'm not sure as I have not watched it yet, because I just returned home from New Orleans with helping in the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. Cheers,

Bill
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 11, 2005 08:05AM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-11 08:55, coinmagic143 wrote:
...helping in the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts....[/quote]

Impressive. Bravo! Great to help make a difference when you can. :)
I am sorry I am confused here. So Mr JT have you published any of your material ? How come some magicians and a lot of members in the Café make reference to your ideas or creations ? Are you showing it like in lectures or conventions or it is just known by word ?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 11, 2005 12:47PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-11 13:24, Pachin wrote:
I am sorry I am confused here. So Mr JT have you published any of your material ? How come some magicians and a lot of members in the Café make reference to your ideas or creations ? Are you showing it like in lectures or conventions or it is just known by word ?
[/quote]

This is one of those questions that is better sent as a PM instead of side tracking a thread on Lee's Three Stylin product. Will PM in a bit.
Sorry everyone for getting off topic earlier.

Anyway, I think that three stylin is a great routine and should be tried on a lay audience before deciding that it doesn't work. As I said earlier the chips offer some great presentation options.

Black and white T.V. still delivers the picture, but wouldn't you rather watch it with color?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 12, 2005 07:16AM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-12 02:35, Magic w/ HART wrote:...three stylin is a great routine and should be tried on a lay audience before deciding that it doesn't work. As I said earlier the chips offer some great presentation options...[/quote]

Can we get some reports of how this routine goes over for lay audiences?
Magic w/HART,

Hey, sorry if some of my earlier comments came across as abrasive. I have kind of a sarcastic sense of humor and sometimes have difficulty suppressing it.

The reality of the situation is probably somewhere between our two arguments. The effect will probably slay some people, while others will notice the immobility of the other two chips. I personally think the effect works better with coins, but that's just me.
I think the routine would be better performed with an apple, pear, and orange. Just kidding. LOL, :). Cheers,

Bill
[quote]
On 2005-10-12 08:16, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-12 02:35, Magic w/ HART wrote:...three stylin is a great routine and should be tried on a lay audience before deciding that it doesn't work. As I said earlier the chips offer some great presentation options...[/quote]

Can we get some reports of how this routine goes over for lay audiences?
[/quote]

I should mention that I only perform this at the restaurants/parties for larger groups that are seated at the long tables. I think that this routine(or any 3 fly routine) is good for the longer tables because then EVERYONE can see what is going on. It is not "crotch magic". The other reason I perform it only for the long tables is that in the two restaurants that I work the larger tables are separate from the smaller tables. If I did it at the smaller tables I would have some angles to worry about. Three stylin does not look as magical from the back.*lol*

I use it as an opener because it quickly establishes me as someone worth watching(and I don't believe in opening with cards). I think it is also important to point out that the chips are bigger than Morgans. That and the fact that they are colored makes it very easy for all to see. On that same note, chips(especially the ones Lee provides w/ the routine)are very smooth and move like butter. Morgans, unless prepared well, do not.

This routine plays very well for lay people. I actually had to start letting people examine the chips before and after because they would not believe that they were real!

When you read Three stylin you can tell that Lee has really thought this thing through. He does not only tell you how, he tells you why. His blocking and motivation alone are worth the price of admission. Hope this helps...
Is this dfferent than Daryl's routine?
Yup.
Would this effect work for someone with small hands. I have trouble practicing with regular dollars and making it look good because of my small hands. I usually just use half dollars, but I would like to buy three stylin if it would work for me.
I think this routine can work for everyone, the hardest move is a fingerpalm, and even with small hands a fingerpalm should be easy enough.
[quote]
On 2005-10-05 23:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[/quote]

Jon, that should be etched in stone somewhere in the Magic Castle. We can debate every handling of every effect ever created, but it all comes down to what you said.

Thanks!!

Chris
Just curious... is Three Stylin' a SoH only effect using non-gimmicked poker chips? Or are there gimmicked chips involved?
SOH only
I just ordered Three Stylin' and will let everyone know how it is.
Any more reviews?.....
I found it to be surprisingly well thought out. Some may be put off by the red chip factor, but when you actually look at the routine, and work it well and to your own style, it will amaze you how this is actually very cleverly worked around. In the end the illusion truely is the three chips flying one at a time, which is exactly what it should be.
Lee Asher always has great ideas about timing and misdirection, this is another one of those routines.
I just recieved this the other night and after reading through this booklet, and working through it with chips in hand, I have a couple of thoughts:

1) It always impresses me when one takes the time to list the credits in a Works Cited list in the back. Helpful to see it in that list form, plus it re-enforces what Lee states, "He stands on the shoulders of Giants."

2) The structure of the routine is well thought out. Every chip moves from one hand to the other. Much like Mike Close's Torn and Restored Card, the routining is what makes this effect what it ends up being.

RevJohn
Folks, yes this is a late post -- this is a rockin' effect.
Yes, only the red chip flys, however, this is never called out in
the routine and is never noticed due to the effect's solid construction.
This is a great opener -- about 60 seconds of quick eye-candy.
Best of all, it is neither a card trick nor a coin trick.

Kevin
[quote]
On 2005-11-30 19:33, MagicChris wrote:
I just ordered Three Stylin' and will let everyone know how it is.
[/quote]

How about that review?

Kevin
It went over well at my monthly S.A.M meeting a couple of months ago.
I bought this booklet years ago and am only now happily starting working on it after getting good at Daryl's Three Fly III. Lee Asher has lots of videos on his newly remodeled site, but not Three Stylin'. Is a professional performance on a video somewhere?

Many times I have heard that no one notices that only the red chip moves. Excuse me for being skeptical. If I am nervous about this, wouldn't it make sense to let either of the more easily confused blue or green do the hopping? Lee must have picked red for a reason. Help me, why?
I received green instead of red. I have green, blue, and white. I think using red would be more visual though.
Yes, red seems more visual to me too. That is why I worried that letting it do all the hopping might help a deconstructionist realize only one chip was hopping. If instead of red (or white) you let green (or blue) hop, it would seem less likely the forensic-minded spectator figured it only one moved, i.e., the method.

Lee Asher clearly thought the spectator would not be aware only one hopped. Maybe he chose red arbitrarily? I just do not want to be missing some point about using red.
I think this is being over-analyzed. IMO the spectators will not be aware of which colors move across unless the magician points it out. To them, three chips go from hand to hand one at a time, period.
I've never been questioned about it. I don't mention the colors either.
I love this routine, but have rarely performed it since I don't have a good way to ditch in the end. What methods do you use?
I think it's fun, and I think it looks like magic.
The perception with the presentation is that all three coins travle. don't over think the perception of the laymen! you call attention to the first chip the second chip and the third chip. not the red chip, the green chip, and the white chip! this is a very powerful effect if YOUR presentation and timing are well rehersed.
If you use the bicycle 11.5g poker chips, they have that little something in them that Lee Asher's chips have to make the ditch at the end easier. ceers,

bill
I've seen a number of people perform this effect while I was sitting with my lay friends or with laymen I didn't know, and on MOST of these occasions someone commented that only the red chip moved.

Audience members are often too polite. Just because they don't say anyting doesn't mean they didn't catch you. I don't like this trick. I think it's very obvious and this is only from experience with comments from my lay friends.

Even if you don't mention the colors, laymen aren't as stupid as you think.
I like Lee's construction of the trick, but I was expecting a C/S type chip instead of a 'extra' poker chip.

Good routining, though I would of perfered more than just one color jumping across.
Audience members are often too polite. Just because they don't say anyting doesn't mean they didn't catch you. I don't like this trick. I think it's very obvious and this is only from experience with comments from my lay friends.

Even if you don't mention the colors, laymen aren't as stupid as you think.

mfeld,

I agree with that,that is why I never like that trick either.

WZ,
To each his own. I've been accused of using magnets and asked if they were real poker chips. By the way, some of these people are teachers and lawyers.
[quote]
On 2008-03-07 01:54, sleightofhander wrote:
To each his own. I've been accused of using magnets and asked if they were real poker chips. By the way, some of these people are teachers and lawyers.
[/quote]

why is it bad that teachers and lawyers are asking if they are real poker chips? They might not be - there are a ton of threefly variatiosn with gaffs and some with magnets. Those are perfectly reasonable questions in my opinion.
[quote]
On 2008-03-07 19:16, mfeld wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

why is it bad that teachers and lawyers are asking if they are real poker chips? They might not be - there are a ton of threefly variatiosn with gaffs and some with magnets. Those are perfectly reasonable questions in my opinion.
[/quote]Did I say It was bad? My main point is that they weren't asking me why only the red chip was going. I don't perform it as written in the instructions. I came up with my own routine using ideas from Geoff Latta, Troy Hooser, Michael Rubinstein. Lee Asher challenges you in the instructions to change the routine if you don't like the fact that only one chip travels.
[quote]
On 2008-03-07 22:20, sleightofhander wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-03-07 19:16, mfeld wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]Did I say It was bad? My main point is that they weren't asking me why only the red chip was going. I don't perform it as written in the instructions. I came up with my own routine using ideas from Geoff Latta, Troy Hooser, Michael Rubinstein. Lee Asher challenges you in the instructions to change the routine if you don't like the fact that only one chip travels.
[/quote]

Ahhh... Ok

I guess I just missunderstood your comment in the context of the conversation. My bad.
Ok I've been performing this effect off and on for a long time. My conclucion is too many people notice the discrepancy for it to be a REAL worker. That is only if you follow Lee's handling (which in all honesty is a little cozy for me...then again he works primarily with cards but I digress). I developed a similiar yet different handling. The first and second phases are just variations of handling points but they follow the original effect. The third phase breaks completely with what Lee has and gives you the ability to send one of the other chips across at the end. You don't need any more chips than what came with the original set.
In my opinion it has made all the difference. Here is my theory of why: the first chip is a surprise (sort of, I tell them it will go across but I don't tell them when), The second chip follows the precedence set by the first. Now the audience is paying attention and this is where the discrepancy is weakest. They know which chip went on the second phase so the third needs to break the pattern NOT support it as Lee's original handling does.

With a little thought I'm sure you guys can come up with something similiar to what I have and it really makes a big difference.
Looks like it was a good routine.

https://youtu.be/f3__aetZb7s