(Close Window)
Topic: Gags for invisible card routine
Ok, so we have the usual, "shuffle them up.......no, take them out of the case first!" and "spread them across the table.......no face up!" Standard jokes for the invisible card routine.
Any others you care to share that work for you?
Theres a lot that can be done like throwing the deck back etc.
Take them out and start doing all manner of tosses, flourishes, waterfalls, arcs, etc. And as you're doing so, say "I just LOVE working with invisiblew decks! You can do all sorts of neat tricks with them and you never..." (suddenly look off the floor on your left side)"...Ah, ALMOST, that is, almost never drop a card!"
Thanks "the mighty fool"
One that works really well for me is to say "cut the deck" then when they reach for the imaginary deck, point elsewhere and say, "no, they're over here".

Sounds dumb, but in the few hundred times I've done it, it ALWAYS gets a laugh :)
I have found that having the card selected from the invisible deck, and then instructing the person to "show the card to the rest of the audience but do NOT let me see it!" in a serious manner, often gets a laugh as well.
As the audience members are going through all the motions of performing the standard Invisible Deck trick I always like to say, "It's amazing what you can get strangers to do." Of course, I say it in a light hearted manner. This routine plays great in stand up situations as well as close up.

Caleb
Here's a few more that haven't been used yet...

1) You guys think I'm crazy but look who shuffling the cards.

2) This is an invisible deck. I made it invisible so that if I make a mistake...you'll never know.

3) This is an invisible deck. Not many people have seen one of these I can tell you.

4) Will you help me out Sir? And your name is? Can you catch the deck if I throw it to you John?
OK, Here you go.
Oh, Maíam I am sorry I didnít mean to hit you. That was my fault. But donít worry, itís an Invisible Deck and the bruise will be invisible too. Could you please hand the deck to John? Thank you very much.
Daniel #1 can be worded Different to. its Basically the same Phrase though
If performing for children and adults, I say: "don't worry if you can't see the invisible deck - only the clever people can, hands up who can see the deck" (kids all put their hands up - most adults don't - to which I say)....."i notice not many of the adults can see it then...!"
Gets a chuckle!
Start by reaching into a seemingly empty paper bag. Hand them an invisible deck to shuffle. When finished, have them toss it back and pretend to catch it in the bag. While holding opening of the bag, fingers inside, snap the inside of the bag. The bag will jerk as if you really caught the deck. Pull out the real deck from bottom of the bag and show the reversed card.
One of the best routines I've ever seen for the ID is Secrets of Invisibility by Cody Fisher.

For the description and the reviews of this unique and highly effective handling, go to:
http://www.codyfisher.com/home.htm
then click on "The Magic Shop".

And to stay within the topic of this thread; yes, the effect comes with a few gag lines.
Great can I get this from hocus-pocus.
Yes, Hocus Pocus carries it. For "Product Search", type in "Invisibility". Cody Fishers Secrets of Invisibility is the second entry.

Or better yet, buy it directly from the creator himself. Cody is excellent to deal with and provides a valuable product at a fair price. (plus his shipping service is great) Use the above noted web site to find Secrets of Invisibility, as well as a number of other "Cody Creations".
I've never seen a better I.D. routine than Bill Malone's Standing Ovation Invisible Deck. He's is a genius.

Caleb
I agree with you Caleb. In fact, the "energy" Bill creates in the audience almost overshadows the revealing of the selected card. It's that strong.
I too agree with the Cody Fisher one, its fantastic! very funny if you get a tough guy to hold a flowery bag.

Matt
"I happen to have here an invisible deck of cards, can you all see them? For those of you that said yes, you need to be comminted/we're a little worried about you etc"

"If I toss these cards to you will you catch them? Then I shall toss them to you. Good catch! No, I wasn't referring to the cards, I was referring to the young lady sitting next to you, is that your wife?"
Zack those are good.
And your point is Don???
You can reword anything.

Ron,
Your link is not working.
Daniel I'm not rewording it. but just telling you so you can add it to your knowledge. I hope you understand what I'm typing.
Thanks Daniel for the heads up on that Cody Fisher site not working.
Try this one and click on the "Magicians only" panel.
http://www.codyfisher.com/main.html

Thanks -
Ron
Have you ever seen an invisible card before? (they answer no) That's cause their invisible (said matter of facty)

JoeJoe
Don Alan must be turning over in his grave.
[quote]
On 2004-12-26 13:58, Jon Stetson wrote:
Don Alan must be turning over in his grave.
[/quote]

I'm sure he is, Jon.

If only the topic starter had asked for ORIGINAL gags; this would have been a much shorter thread... MUCH shorter.

TW
Most people like keeping their original Ideas a Secret.
[quote]
On 2004-12-26 20:53, The Donster wrote:
Most people like keeping their original Ideas a Secret.
[/quote]

A thread like this is the reason why.
Magician Drops the Invisible Deck looks down and all around. Magician Says Excuse me But did anyone see where the Deck went to ?
I recently put together a routine for an invisible dice prediction utilizing Larry Becker's Audio Prediction method. And I admit the gags aren't original with me, but hey, if they work, they work! These of course could be used for the ID or invisible anything else:

I ask the volunteer if he knows what these are. He naturally will say no. "This is the world's only set of invisible dice... At least I think it's the only set. If there's another one, I haven't seen it... I'm not sure I'm seeing it now!"
Now, that last line isn't really much of a joke, but if it's timed right and you build the laughs properly, you can get another laugh out of it.

I also have the volunteer "roll" the invisible dice a couple of times to prove they aren't loaded. With the ID, you could have someone "inspect" the backs to be sure they aren't marked!

For a final laugh, I give the volunteer the "dice" as a souvenier. With the invisible deck, you could give your volunteer the Invisible Joker (don't forget to "autograph" it first)!

Happy 2005!
Joe Libby
Incidently, slightly off-topic but however, for anyone who likes the invisible deck premise (and to be honest, who doesn't!) you could eliminate the deck and use Alan Shaxon's Invisible Card in Envelopes from his lecture notes and I believe it is also in one of his books though I cant remember which off-hand. The routine allows all of the fun and laughs but is, in my opinion a less-used, different version and in my stand up show I prefer it. Alternatively Paul Harris has released one but I believe the selection process isn't quite so clean.

Alan Shaxon's is well worth seeking out.

Cheers,
TM
I got two which I always use.
First:
By the end of my whole ID routine, which is a few minute, I ask the person who "picked" a card what it was. -When I am asking him/her I have a big smile on my face-. They say 2 of heart for example. I drop my smile and take a second take. I say to them in a "soft" voice but everyone can hear. "Are you sure it was not the 4 of clubs, it want work if its not the 4 of clubs". This is said with a series voice and is really funny, if I do say so myself.
Second:
A good line which works for me and I hope it is original to me: I perform ID second last in my show (bc of Bill Melones idea). By this time they have seen some really cool magic. So when I do ID I make a big deal about them picking a card and reversing it. When I produce the deck I say, "now after everything you have seen here this evening, do you think it is possible that in this deck there is one card reversed and it is the "2 of hearts". They usually say yes they would believe me. (bc they have seen so much already). I then say, "okay cool so that means I don't have to prove it" and pretend to put the deck in my jacket pocket. This gets a laugh.
Very important, don't really put the deck back in your pocket, it should never leave their sight. They might think you switch it.

I hope this is understood by all. Use them they are really good. BUT REMEMBER, TIMING IS EVERYTHING.

Enjoy

Ilan