(Close Window)
Topic: Greetings From Las Vegas
Hi, I've been lurking here for a while. I thought I might as well post an official "hello" in this forum so I can start posting stuff in other forums here.

A little about me, I was very much interested in magic as a teen, but then got away from it and now getting back to it in my 30s. The most difficult thing for me right now--being a gainfully-employed adult--is not to spend a gross amount of money on everything I see or hear about. My goal right now is to put together a small stage show that would work at family-oriented events like food festivals and crafts fairs. I'm also interested in close-up effects, particularly those which can be done with non-gimmicked items. ("And there's your card, face down in the deck!" "Wow! Can I look at that deck?" "Um, well, no, sorry." "Well can you show me another trick?" "Yes, just let me put the deck in my coat pocket for a moment then bring out... umm... the very same deck." You get the picture.)

I've been doing a lot of reading here and given the search button a good work out over the last few weeks. This place is great! Best board I've found so far. And there's some awesome smilies!

:donut1: :donut2: :donut3: :donut4: :donut5: :donut6:
Welcome aboard, Chris.
You seem to have a definite goal in magic in mind and that's good!
As well, you're views on gimmicks, especially gimmicked decks, are "right on!"
Looking forward to your posts.
Thanks for dropping by!
Enjoy the Cafe!

Your next coffee will be on me! :coffee:
Welcome Friend Chris!

Nice to have you make yourself known. And that was a great introduction, I feel like I know you already!

I look forward to reading your posts.

BroDavid
Welcome - I hope you find inspiration for a show here - there's nothing more fun than actually DOING this stuff for people.

And, man, can I empathise with the temptation to spend money. It's the Web that does it.

My dad mostly bought me magic books - he reckoned that if I got a couple of tricks and a few ideas for that price I'd be more creative than just buying a one-off readymade trick that I might never actually use (In Davenport's Magic Shop there was always the danger of buying things just to 'know how it's done' or to own a particular gimmick.)
Welcome aboard, Chris.

I too have also always shied away from gimmicks. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Its good to have you around.
Welcome to the cafe! :wavey:

Margarette
. :)Hi, I also agree that this is the best board. I hope you will find useful info.
Welcome to the cafe!!! :goof: :goof:
Hi There :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Nice avatar indeed !!! Welcome to the number one Cafe on the net and please do go on posting. In the meantime, please have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Welcome to the Cafe. Enjoy the menu. :clownonball:
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Sep 9, 2002 12:44PM)
Howdy, and welcome to the Cafe!

:magicrabbit:
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 9, 2002 01:34PM)
Well met Chris!

Just remember, you can put together a decent show with just 3-5 good strong routines.

Presentation is everything!
Welcome to the Cafe.
Welcome Chris!

That's a great intro. We are very happy to welcome you here.

It's nice to hear others like yourself wanting to get away from gimmicks and would rather perform magic the 'old fashioned way', with technique, misdirection, and a professional presentation. :bg: . . . Oh, who am I kidding, I love Svengali !!! :bg:

Enjoy yourself in The Magic Cafe Chris, but be careful, our menu is VERY addicting!

Joe Marotta
PS: I like what you did to your avatar.
:magicrabbit:
Chris,
Do you ever show up for the Darwin magic club meetings?
Ted (Leondo)
[quote]
On 2002-09-10 07:14, leondo wrote:
Chris,
Do you ever show up for the Darwin magic club meetings?
Ted (Leondo)
[/quote]
No, but I would definitely be interested in learning more about it. Is there a website with info? (Feel free to PM or e-mail me.)
Hi Chris!
It's good to see another Las Vegas magician has found his way here.

Welcome to the madness!

BTW, Darwin's meetings are held every Wednesday night at a bar named Boomer's. It's on Sirius between Rancho and Valley View. You'll find a lot of "name" magicians dropping in. Meetings start around 10pm or so and last until ?????

David
Welcome
are you going to eat all those donuts? :hmm:
Welcome to the Cafe :wavey:
David (aka MageofMeadows): Thanks for the info, I will see if I can make it down there next Wednesday.

Shadow: I won't be eating those doughnuts, I'm saving my doughnut points for Krispy Kreme. Help yourself though!
Chris: Welcome to the cafe. I'm sure you already know this is the best place on the web. I won't give you any donuts if you're waiting for Krispy Kremes but you're welcome to have a meal on my bill while you browse the menu. :hamburger: :hamburger: :pepsi:

Dave