(Close Window)
Topic: Golden Shells, yes, but...
I picked up the "Absolutely Nuts" video by Bob Sheets from The School for Scoundrels website. I recommend it, they have other items too. http://www.chefanton.com/entertain/store.html
My favorite routine for the shells is Gary Ouellet's "Supershells" available from the Camirand Academy. Frank garcia's book, "All in a Nutshell" is an excellent resource if you can find it. Glenn Bishop has a good routine available, and there is a nice routine in Ganson's "The Art of Close Up Magic."
Karl Norman has a great routine in his book, "Forty Years at the Forks".
Bob Sheets's video has the most unsuspicious looking acquitment I've ever seen. Bob Kohler's video is outstanding. Scott, I'll definitely check out Ouellet's "Supershells."
Patrick Page has an impressive "3-shell game" video, it really fooled me the first time I watched it. But I have not seen any other performances of it so, anyway.
Tom :)
Frank Garcia in the video Stars of Magic performs the shell game. Very interesting and gives some advice on how to prepare the shells.
vinny
Let us not forget the Phil Cass videotape.

Regards,

Paul
Actually, I'd rather forget the Cass videotape!
I agree with Scott. The Cass video was horrible. I can't believe someone even wasted film on it.
I got the Ouellet booklet through Absolutely Magic http://threeshellgame.com at the same time I bought their La Maggiore shells. I am very happy with these shells, by the way. They are much bigger than the School for Scoundrel shells, which I also own. The La Maggiore shells, due to their size, balance, weight, and shape, are also easier for me to handle than others I've tried.

The Oullet routine is wonderful. It never "challenges" the spectator, and has a very magical ending that most other routines lack.

:nose:
I agree with JD. I also got the La Maggiore shells and the Ouellet book and have been having fun learning the routine. I am also reading "Hello Sucker" in the recently published Jack Chanin book. Good tips and advice including a chapter on "what to wear" when doing the routine to make it a routine!

JR
John,
Thank you for the description of the Oullet routine--I hadn't seen it and now you've piqued my interest.

Best,

Jay
Super Shells is the only 3 shell routine that I have ever seen, and it is the one that I am learning. How do other routines compare to this one as ar as the actual effect. And how does the super shells climax compare to others.

I like the fact that the pea travels from one covered shell to another but I don't like having to carry around a clay saucer, glass bowl, and shot glass.
I'm not convinced the Super Shells ending is any stronger than using just the shot glass as in Frank Garcia's routine and Bob Kohler's routine. I don't think the ending should be especially magical, as that detracts from the theme of the trick, and is a shift of effect.

I think the ending should be climatic, and be one that makes it completely obvious that the audience would be inclined to bet on such a proposition because it seems they really couldn't lose, but then of course it is shown that they would have lost even under these seemingly impossible conditions.

I like the shot glass ending in formal close-up shows, but in walk around, I always carry only the Magnetic Street Shells and a couple of peas in my right coat pocket. I use the ending of the pea appearing under the shell in the spectator's closed fist in these situations.
My favorite routine that I have seen was Bob Sheets' Scarab Beetle shell routine, which I believe is still unpublished. He did tip some great material on his "Absolutely Nuts" video. I love my golden shells! Pure class!
You should be as good a performer as Phil Cass. His shell game is two cuts above the standard stuff. :kermit:
[quote]

On 2004-01-20 00:45, Pete Biro wrote:

You should be as good a performer as Phil Cass. His shell game is two cuts above the standard stuff. :kermit:

[/quote]

Pete, I'm with you. I think Phil Cass has a wonderful routine, one that can play to a very large audience.

His routine takes the attention away from the table and up into the relationship between the spectator and the performer. He turns it from a sleight-of-hand trick into a contest of will and psychological manipulation.

I have seen him perform this live many times. It is a very original take, and, even though it is not for me, I have enjoyed it very much.
I'd rather see Cass's "real" routine any day than hear another BS patter story about the county fair or your grampaw teaching you a lesson when you were a kid.

Cass uses the Oullet routine (a brilliant handling) and dresses it up with an intense presentation that audiences love. Well LAY audiences, anyway. On the other hand, when Oullet does the routine on the Revelations tapes, it's truly soporific. (Sorry Gary - I enjoyed your book, though).

I've also seen Cass do this routine many times for lay audiences and a couple of times at conventions, and it's really one of the greatest routines ever - it's truly a clash of wills and has some very funny moments too. All you have to do is look at the audience to see they are lapping it up. But magicians get this puritannical self-denial thing happening - "oh how shocking!" Magicians also seem to conveniently forget that Cass actually thanks the "sucker" and makes them look like a hero for putting up with the pressure.

Thank goodness for people like Phil Cass who push the boundaries and ensure magic (some magic) is contemporary and thrilling.

"Hope this helps!" (LOL)

Andrew
Glad to hear some strong evidence about the Cass shellgame... what a revelation to see how far one can take such a simple trick. :dance:
I couldn't agree more. In fact Eugene Burger and I spent hours one night in Perth talking about what great theater and original and creative magical thinking went into Phil's shells and his whole stage act, which is very much in the vein of his shell game, and pushes the audience right to the edge. "Trust me."

Much like Gazzo, Phil digs himself into a hole in which the audience is ready to turn on him and hate him--one that it looks like he will never get out of--and then he slowly climbs out and wins them over in a virtuoso performance that turns everything on its head. Phil is a first class actor as well as a first class magician. He has nerves of brass, in fact, he has many parts brass.

If you haven't seen his whole 45 minute stage show, you have missed one of the most original and brilliant pieces of stagecraft in magic.
http://www.philcass.com/
Online video:
http://www.philcass.com/pc_corporate.asp
"The Hanxamean approch to the 3 shell game" has a few good ideas. There are some good solid endings that are not just the transpo of the pea. It also has a nice handling of the "Pea Can" during a routine. It has some original moves in it as well.
You keep mentioning this routine. Where can it be found?
Ron Jaxon is offering it on his site as a $10 PDF download.
Someone's new product, Bill, haven't seen it to say if it is worthwhile or not. Time will tell.
My favorite is Gary Ouellet's "Supershells". Great routine! I use the SFS
Street Shells.
Wow. I was stunned that the first posts the hated the Cass Routine.

Admitedly, I hated the video... the first 5 minutes or so.
I thought what the hell is this guy doing. Cliches, insults, etc.

Then upon the 5th or so viewing, it all came to me what he was doing.

As I've stated in recent posts, the finale is INSANE! Fantastic.

A must have video. I have a few extra if you can't find one at you local shop.
Message: Posted by: art the magic guy! (Nov 9, 2005 02:26PM)
Ill jump along with the rest of the group, Mr Cass's routine is a first class act! its definately a show on psychology, where it makes it no about "following the pea" but about putting different thoughts in ( makes a tell tale move, but was it on purpose, or was it an accident?) and it might not fit everyone's persona. But it definately takes the audience for a spin.
[quote]
On 2005-11-05 14:13, Ragman wrote:
"The Hanxamean approch to the 3 shell game" has a few good ideas. There are some good solid endings that are not just the transpo of the pea. It also has a nice handling of the "Pea Can" during a routine. It has some original moves in it as well.
[/quote]

The idea for using the Pea Can to switch out hard and soft peas should be credited to Erik Anderson who described it some time ago on this and on the Scoundrels Forum board.

The pea under the glass is an ending that Glenn Bishop published long ago.

I think the stack of shells is a rather odd and unsatisfactory ending, that leaves everyone in the audience waiting their turn to examine the "stack" in order to figure out "what just happened?" It is a gratuitous surprise without logic.

There are a few clever handlings of standard moves in the "The Hanxamean Approch to the 3 Shell Game", but nothing really groundbreaking or completely new.
The Stack of Shells reminds me of the "stack of cups" from the Ronjo cups and coins set.
Where is the Glen Bishop ending published?
It is available as a free download on the Scoundrels Forum:

http://www.whithaydn.com/smf
You should also check out the whole forum. Whit gives a lot of great shell/ street con info all over the forum. And you should stop by his web site and download the video of Whit doing a shell routine at the magic castle.

Great footage and one of the best presented shell routines I have ever seen!
I remember Giovanni's Shellshocked routine as being very effective, but cannot recall whether or not it was just a variation of the Ouellet routine.
[quote]
On 2004-01-20 03:29, Andrew Wimhurst wrote:
I'd rather see Cass's "real" routine any day than hear another BS patter story about the county fair or your grampaw teaching you a lesson when you were a kid.

Cass uses the Oullet routine (a brilliant handling) and dresses it up with an intense presentation that audiences love. Well LAY audiences, anyway. On the other hand, when Oullet does the routine on the Revelations tapes, it's truly soporific. (Sorry Gary - I enjoyed your book, though).

I've also seen Cass do this routine many times for lay audiences and a couple of times at conventions, and it's really one of the greatest routines ever - it's truly a clash of wills and has some very funny moments too. All you have to do is look at the audience to see they are lapping it up. But magicians get this puritannical self-denial thing happening - "oh how shocking!" Magicians also seem to conveniently forget that Cass actually thanks the "sucker" and makes them look like a hero for putting up with the pressure.

Thank goodness for people like Phil Cass who push the boundaries and ensure magic (some magic) is contemporary and thrilling.

"Hope this helps!" (LOL)

Andrew

[/quote]

Three years later but....I agree with Andrew 100%

I've people find that video shocking they should see his stand up act@