(Close Window)
Topic: Spikes for Houdini's "Fakir's Ordeal"
Does anyone know where to acquire the type of spikes used in "The Fakir's Ordeal" (spike through body illusion described in J.C. Cannell's book)?
If it's real, sharpened and polished bicycle spokes are the standard... If you need to, you can adorn them with beads.
Slim
HI mitchert hers a link to a clip http://www.bravo.co.uk/worldofpain/clips/mov5.html
What is the best way to sharpen a bicycle spoke, the standered knife sharpener, electric tools, and do bicycle spokes contain a large amount of nickel in them
Sharpening a spoke is pretty easy but needs a grinder, and a little patience. Cut off the threaded end, and just gradually shape a long point. Take the time to dip it often(just in water) to keep it cool. Spokes are cheap and can easily be obtained at any bike shop.It's best not to use chrome ones. they can flake in use. When you have a fine point use emory cloth or steel wool to give the spoke aa good polish. Nickle is not a problem unless you plan to leave the spoke in your body! <G>
Slim
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Dec 26, 2004 10:19AM)
Mitchert is talking about an illusion, similar to the sword thru neck.
A pillory version was marketed, called "Demon of Doom" (Flosso-Hornmann[Martinka]).

The spikes were more practical than described in the Cannell book. PM for details.

Steve
Yeah, your right about the nickel part. Hmmm, I think I am taking a bicycle spoke route next time I am going to be doing acts needing them. Thanks, Slim.