(Close Window)
Topic: Daniel Summer's Instant Babe
I just wanted to leave a brief, unsolicited review on the instant babe. I just purchased this illusion from Daniel Summers, and was completely pleased with what I received! The illusion is SO deceptive, and just a heck of an opener for a show.

I'd love to hear other reiveiws if you own one! I just got it a few days ago, and have been rehearsing the heck out of it, but have not put it into a show yet. Can't wait to though!

Dave
Dave,
Can you give us a review?
I have been thinking about buying this illusion for some time now.
I would like to hear the pros and cons.

Mike
Well I just saw the instant babe being preformed on TV and it looks really good and is very deceptive...thinking about getting something like that for my show too...

Patrick Thomas
Do you know how much Instant Babe sells for?
Hi Don,

Not sure how much it sells for . I spoke to Dan once and if its still current his phone number is 702 271 7277. I noticed on his website
( http://www.danielsummers.com ) that Bill Smith builds Dans illusions so you may want to ask him instead.

There was a video online of instant babe being performed but its no longer on the site. I located it in my IE history at http://www.dansummers.com/instantbabhs.mpg it is still online but no longer linked to his site....can't figure that one out.

Nathan
OOOPSS!! I mispelled the video link for Dan Summers Instant Babe

here is the proper url for both highspeed and lowspeed versions.

High speed http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabehs.mpg

Low Speed http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabedu.mpg

Sorry for my spellun mistak,

Nathan
Really cool!
The illusion sells for about $5400.

Regards,

D
Nice...
Dave,
Just curious. How's it going rehearsing Instant Babe?
Great effect!
Hey Guys!

I don't know about anyone else, but I am still awaiting a full indepth review of this illusion. There are afew questions on my mind about restrictions etc. Hopefully someone who owns this will be able to provide us with a more detailed review.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Quick Change Artist
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Jan 19, 2005 09:26PM)
Just do it in the street....hehehehe....

Michael
I do not think you could stand behind this ilusion, but I might be wrong?

j
Here is link for a show coming up in March - I'll post a review after the show !
http://www.MiraclesAndMagic.com

Kind of a shameless plug but we are knocking out some new stuff for the Spring and Fall tours - the Spring tour actually starts that same week in VA.
If I forget to post a review, someone remind me !
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Feb 22, 2005 10:07AM)
Looks like a great line up. Best of luck Steven :O)

Michael
Kline, which day is it? Is the show Saturday or March 15th?
Typo !
It is Sat March 19th - should be fixed soon !
I'm producing the show not the website - didn't realize it before
Steven,

Congrats on the show ....but what does this have to do with " Instant Babe" ( the topic of this thread ). Do you have one? Are you using it in your show ?Did I miss something? There is a separate catagory where show plugs are posted.

Best,

Tim
You did miss something and I should not have metioned the show here as things are always taken out of context and then they run off on a tangent - sort of like this post - YES instant babe is in the show and I will post a review.
Eureka !

I knew there was something missing. It seemed strange that the show popped up in the thread and no Instant Babe was mentioned. Now it all makes sense. Its a beautiful prop and is sure to be a hit. Did you get yours directly from Dan or did you have Bill Smith ( licenced builder ) build you one ? Dan's pretty proud of that prop and rightly so.

Didn't mean to jump on you regards plugging the show. I hope you'll continue to do so ....I was only concerned because it popped into the thread apparantly out of topic which gave it a spam-like appearance. I'm not too far geographically from that show and I will attend, time permitting. Looking forward to seeing it.

Best,

Tim
Maybe just me,, I been building for over 8 years now and looks nothing more then a thin table base/step base type of illusion,, although it is fast in apearance of the babe I'm curious as too if you think that it was worth the amount you payed for it now if it came with the girl,,WELL ILL TAKE TWO,,,LOL.

Fantisy Knight
TrickyRickysMagic
TrickyRickysMagic,

By my viewing there seems to be a little more to it than what you described. The design is a little more complicated.

Regards,

Mike
On 2005-02-24 03:38, TrickyRickysMagic wrote:
Maybe just me,, I been building for over 8 years now and looks nothing more then a thin table base/step base type of illusion,

Trust me on this one. This is no ordinary base. I've seen the prop up close as well as in action. "Slick " is the only way I can describe it. Dan Summers is a pioneer in magic design. He wouldn't market anything ordinary! You can see a video of the prop in action at http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabehs.mpg

A tip to any performers of this effect. DON"T perform it in front of a black background as the audience will think its a BA effect. Its that fast of a production that many of my friends have guessed BA as the method. ( especially those who know what a base is ) The can't believe this is a base.

Best,

Tim
I think that the real kicker is that the cloth is lifted above the platform (showing nothing) just a moment before the "babe" is produced.

Nick Fox
That's what separates this effect from other bases. Forget the fact that the base looks way too thin. The fact that the cloth is held up and above the base and then whisked away to reveal the babe " instantly " is what produces the startling effect.

This is another reason I say DON'T perform it in front of a dark backdrop. You can even light the prop from behind to emphasize the fact that there is an empty space between the cloth and the table.

Best,

Tim
Now Daniel Summer's website is teasing us by saying that a "new and improved" Instant Babe is coming soon. This I need to see.

Nick Fox
Don't quote me on this one...but......I think the changes are related to the workings and will not be noticable on the outside appearance of the prop.

I can't see how he can make it any thinner.

Best,

Tim
Hey everyone just a quick review from a very biased source. The instant babe from the show March 19 was performed by Jon Petz and the Lovely Stacey. They worked really hard on the illusion to get it into the show. They used it to open the second half,POW and then slammed right into Compressed. I thought that was really good programming on Jon's part. I was there for some of the rehearsal and I can tell you that they worked very hard on the trick. Since I built the props I trying to stick to how Jon used them perhaps Steve can tell us what the audience reaction was like.
Owen
I liked the piece - although, it is not for every performing situation -
I told Jon I wanted to see it from the audience for the first show ( We did 3 that day....that Loooong day ! )Very Impressive - Jon handled it well.
Owen has always done great work amd takes pride in his work.
Hey all!

Does anyone have a video of this illusion without any editing so we can see what it looks like start to finish? Thanks.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
You can see a video of the illusion at http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabehs.mpg

The video is from a television special and is not edited to alter the effect. It does change camera angles but there is no camera trickery involved. I know how this effect works and I can tell you that what you see is what you get....INSTANT Babe!

Best,

Tim
Thanks for the link to the video , Tim .

That is a beautiful illusion . Very clean, no box. Great .
I agree. I love watching this video. So clean and astonishing!
Hey folks - a first post for me. I performed the 'Babe' in the Miracles & Magic production back in March. Owen has built this one and made some very nice enhancements to add to the original design.
The piece is slick...very slick. The smaller the 'babe' the better and you'd be challenged to play it in a house with a balcony. The other angles you can work around. It really is a 1 inch thick base. awesome!
This illusion is very nice indeed, I had a similar unit that I made that does the same effect but I used BA, expect to see my BA version on e-bay when I get instant babe in!!!
What is BA?
Black Art

Kevin
Regarding the angles... I wanted to buy one, I was seriously into this illusion (it still is one of my favorites) and I wrote an email to Mr. Summers asking him about the angles. I perform on cruise ships and many times on a ship you will get the most challenging sightlines and angles (sorry to say so, but some of the cruise ship show lounges are designed by complete M****S), lot of times you will get audience in a 3/4 surrounding and some times the stage is not raised. His reply was that the Instant Babe would unfortunately not be the right solution for such performing circumstances, and that I'd better go for some box & base illusions. But I'm sure I will buy it some day, even if I had to keep it in my warehouse. The nice thing about this illusion is that the price is quite moderate and affordable in comparison to how strong the effect is and I believe that it involves some precious mechanical parts too plus it is very obvious that it is made of the materials of highest standards. When you put all this together, the price is great!
Who is the performer in the video?
The performers are The Majestix.

Kevin
If memory serves correctly....Mike won " Magician of the Year" with his instant babe presentation at the 2000 Magic awards.

Nathan
Greetings All -

Has anyone thought of using this illusion an effective vanish? The innocense of the prop would, literally, shoot no direct lines to the method. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

Matthew Fallon
FallonMAGIC
It's quite dirty at the start but the audience doesn't know what to expect so aren't looking at it with any critical eye. Once the girl has appeared, everything is clean and this is when the audience start looking for explanations (and there's nothing to find). Thus it really wouldn't work as a vanish as you're left "dirty."

There's plenty of bases out there that would be much more suitable to creating that kind of open vanish (including our Dream-Base /end-plug/) as they are designed for a vanish.
I was going to post a simular reply as to NOT using it for a vanish but I wouldn't use the term " quite dirty" to describe the starting point of the appearance. In fact I'd say the prop looks *** good at the start and then IMPOSSIBLE at the finish. I've seen this prop close up and its very deceptive fully loaded.

I wouldn't use it as a vanish because any base could do that. The thing that makes Instant Babe so great is the INSTANT flash appearance of the girl. Don't waste this prop on a vanish.

Best,

Tim
Would you say it looks dirty in this video?
I don't thinks its to bad in that video but I've seen pictures of it on Hans kloks website and thought it was very dirty.
I don't think this illusion would work for everyone, but with a bit of thought into the presentation I think its quite an effective production illusion.
Lighting would be quite important for this one
[quote]
On 2005-07-26 15:22, Dream-Concepts wrote:
It's quite dirty at the start but the audiance don't know what to expect so arn't looking at it with any critical eye. Once the girl has appeared everything is clean and this is when the audiance start looking for explanations (and there's nothing to find). Thus it really wouldn't work as a vanish as you're left "dirty".

There's plenty of base's out there that would be much more suitable to creating that kind of open vanish (including our Dream-Base /end-plug/) as they are designed for a vanish.
[/quote]

I couldn't find the dream base on your website. Do you have a link to it?
I could't find photos of Instant Babe at Hans Klok's website... Could you please post the link to it (or send me the photos if you have saved them)? Also, it would be nice if anyone can send me links to some more photos and videos of this illusion on the web... I'm seriously considdering purchasing one and I'd really love to explore it a little bit more. Can anyone tell me how much it weighs?
Ryan Joyce does a pretty mean Instant Babe. He's doing it in this summers tour. I caught some of it in his rehearsals. This one takes some practice but is mighty sweet when done right!

Best,

Tim
*** straight! Ryan did very well when I saw him do this in fergus... I know joan ceaser was there and sao was peter marrucie(SP) was ne one else there?

and even by looking and knowing what was gonna happen it was VERY hard to figure out
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 14:08, Timothy Drake wrote:
That's what separates this effect from other bases. Forget the fact that the base looks way too thin. The fact that the cloth is held up and above the base and then whisked away to reveal the babe " instantly " is what produces the startling effect.

This is another reason I say DON'T perform it in front of a dark backdrop. You can even light the prop from behind to emphasize the fact that there is an empty space between the cloth and the table.

Best,

Tim
[/quote]

Erm...the part where the cloth is lifted above the table before being whisked away to reveal the assistant....
Is it a subtlety that the performer employed (i.e. the assistant is already out), or is that the real speed that you come out of the base?
Coz at that speed, I'm not sure if I'm even able to stand up from a squating position, much less out of a base :D
[quote]
On 2006-07-05 14:21, Morphine wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 14:08, Timothy Drake wrote:

Best,

Tim
[/quote]

Erm...the part where the cloth is lifted above the table before being whisked away to reveal the assistant....
Is it a subtlety that the performer employed (i.e. the assistant is already out), or is that the real speed that you come out of the base?
Coz at that speed, I'm not sure if I'm even able to stand up from a squating position, much less out of a base :D
[/quote]

You can do that very easly. The performer lifts on foot, the assistant another, and it gives the idea that there are only the legs of the magician...
[quote]
On 2006-07-05 20:48, ruijorge wrote:

You can do that very easly. The performer lifts on foot, the assistant another, and it gives the idea that there are only the legs of the magician...
[/quote]

Actually, there's a better way than that.

But my point is, isn't that what it is (i.e. a subtety technique)?
Rather than she only leave the base after the cloth is lifted off it.
[quote]
[/quote]
This is a VERY clever idea but incorrect regards Instant Babe. Here are some photos from a video of Ryan Joyce performing it. You'll clearly see that his assistant's red pants would not pass as his leg. The secret is acomplished with mechanical means. Please note that you can clearly see under the cloth as the cloth is lifted yet the girl appears instantly ( hence the name INSTANT BABE ) .

I'll get permission and post Ryans performance video in a day or so as well.

Best,

Tim
Whoops here is the first image. I was only able to attach one at a time.

Best,

Tim
That second (chronologically the first) picture shows just why this is such a great illusion. I wish I had a reason to buy one.

Nick Fox
Ryan ROCKS!!!
Ok here is the video. Sorry for the delay but I knew the link was previously private and wanted to get Ryans permission before I made it public. It'll be on his site soon anyway so here goes.

http://www.ryanjoyce.com/RJ_IB_2006.wmv

Enjoy,

Tim
Thanks for the link tim! I loved it when he did it at his fergus show..

I better be off to my show soon! Bye!
Looks Great!
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Instant Babe is an amazing illusion! Watch the video again and listen closely right after Kendra appears, you can hear the audible reaction that it gets... Consistantly, night after night!

The creativity that went into the design of this illusion is equally as impressive as the end result.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 11, 2006 05:16PM)
[quote]
On 2005-04-16 10:48, Timothy Drake wrote:
You can see a video of the illusion at http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabehs.mpg

The video is from a television special and is not edited to alter the effect. It does change camera angles but there is no camera trickery involved. I know how this effect works and I can tell you that what you see is what you get....INSTANT Babe!

Best,

Tim
[/quote]
Very nice video and great looking effect. Is it necessary for the foulard to go all the way to the floor? This always makes the audience suspect the old t*** d*** even though this is not the method. Very thin b***, indeed!
Hi MorningStar,

No the foulard does not need to go to the floor. It's performers choice but personally I don't see why it was done in the other video. I think it screams t*** d*** as well and would never do it myself. I understand Ryan had specific instructions from Dan Summers NOT to drop it to the floor to maximize the effect.

Best,

Tim
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 12, 2006 07:14AM)
Hey Tim,
I did not think it needed to be on the floor so with all the praise regarding the b***. I watched the second video and there was such a difference! What a great improvement this peek at his feet would make! Like night and day.

MorningStar
Tim,

I loved this video and it is a winner.

Dennis