(Close Window)
Topic: Dove ID
Has anyone ever tied a ribbon or something around the neck or leg of a dove?

I would like to do this with a bird but I'm not sure if it would harm the bird at all. Thanks.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Cameron, if you're talking about doing it for a particular effect like reproducing a vanished ring or something like that, then it won't hurt the bird at all. Be especially careful aroung the neck though. I wouldn't do anything permanent though. Too easy to get the ribbon tangled.
Hi Cameron,

I agree with Mr. Scribner. I left a string off a feed bag in the aviary one time and a dove got her feet tangled in the string. She may have been tangled for a long time. I was afraid she might be hurt but she seems OK. Just remove it as soon as you can.

Dakota Rose
Cameron,

I'm proud to see your concern for your animals. Stage partners with feathers are still partners.

I have produced birds with ribbons tied around a leg. The occasions are rare. They are reserved for fellow magicians getting married. Two doves are produced with the wedding rings tied each to their legs. Not every bride wants that. Some do. Getting married is a tricky business anyway. (Fortunately, my bride is also a magician.)

To the best of my knowledge, no one's ever been harmed. But safety should always be considered. You are on the right track. I never put anything around their necks.

Typically, my doves do have colored numbered bands on their legs. It is not part of a trick. It's just a way to keep pairs together. When you keep a hundred doves, it can get confusing.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
I think that I will try to put a ribbon on lightly around the bird's neck and then take it off right away after the performance. Maybe something like a small harness that looks like something just around the neck could do. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Yikes a ribbon around the neck. If you want to ID doves buy some ballons used to do ballon animals. Just cut the end off. It fits perfectly around a doves leg.
Go here http://home.earthlink.net/~lmbird/lmcat.html and get professional leg bands. These will not hurt the bird. Plus they are very safe. Much safer than a balloon animal tip.
Good point, Magic Binds - around the neck is scary. You can buy little ankle bracelets that have colors and/or numbers on them which can ID your dove easily and safely, or, do what Magic Blinds said above. It's cheap, easy, safe, unobtrusive and gets the job done.
Try a dot of nail polish or magic marker on the toe of the dove then nothing is around the leg and there are no safety issues.
Some good ideas there, thanks! I was thinking of "IDing" the doves so that during performance they would appear to be the same bird each time one was visible. That's why the ribbon was my first idea, something that could be seen from the stage.

I was also considering coloring my birds but I don't think I want to go in that direction. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Cameron
How about a tiny bowtie? lol. I kid you not, I have issues of The Linking Ring from the 80's and one of the advertisements in it is for "sequin dove collars" for your birds to wear during performances. I guess the idea must not have taken off.

Cris
Oh cool, I like the idea, too bad I can't find them anymore. :P Well maybe I could make one... Ahh well, I'll keep looking, thanks!

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
If you will get a copy of American Cage Bird Magazine, there are vendors who sell colored plastic leg bands specifically for this purpose. The bands are easily removable.

Bob
Magic By Sander