(Close Window)
Topic: Best Self Working Card Trick
I don't know how many people like Self Working Card Tricks, but what would you consider to be the BEST Self Working Card Trick? Is there anywhere online/in books where I can read up about it?
I enjoy using a couple of self working card tricks in my routines, just to break the ice and to ease my nerves.
"Will the cards unite" - but I am not sure where it can be found in print.
You can get the Karl Fulves card self-working series of book for really cheap. It as a lot of interesting stuff in it.
Self working card tricks? Oh if only such a thing existed.... heaven!!!!
I'd say
do as I do its not totally selfworking but fairly selfworking(false cut and keycard)
[quote]
On 2005-01-02 17:38, MichielTummers wrote:
I'd say
do as I do its not totally selfworking but fairly selfworking(false cut and keycard)

[/quote]
Yeah, I like Do As I Do, think its a nice opener, allows me to gauge the participation levels of the audience
Untouched and Lazy Man's Card Trick, both on Ammar's ETMCM Vol. 4 are both good. Lately I got Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic and have been playing with Out of this Universe. Haven't performed it on anyone other than the wife yet, but it's promising. And believe it or not, McDonald's Aces is in a Fulve's Self-Working Card book and I saw a professional do it at a show a few weeks ago.

I'd second the recommendation of looking into the Fulves books. They're inexpensive and can also be found at many well-stocked libraries.
Simon Aronson's Shuffle-Bored in Bound to Please and MAGIC July 2003.

Jack Shalom
Pick up a magic book for kids. They usually have tons.

Also, Mark Wilson's "Complete Course In Magic" has some good ones.
[quote]
Also, Mark Wilson's "Complete Course In Magic" has some good ones.
[/quote]

Indeed.
Also, most of Bob Longe's books have a great deal of self-working tricks.
JC Wagner's Super Closer is one of the best, if not the best IMHO.
Yeh, if you run down to any big library, they will have some sort of book on magic, most of the mtimes self working tricks. take those simple tricks and try to connect them together.
remember doing magic is about entertainment but also finding your own style
SIDESWIPED hands down
Sorry: Random Sample Shuffle-Bored is in MAGIC August 2003.

Jack Shalom
Thanks for all your help
If your purpose is just to break the ice and to ease your nerves as you mentioned in the initial post, there are many easy tricks other than Self-working ones.

Most of self-working tricks need some process which audience must follow, so such tricks are not suitable to perform as the first trick in your act.

Hideo Kato
Quick as a Wink is a very good trick in Self Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves...

it is illustrated on the cover of the book.
ID?
Impossible by Larry Jennings... an impossible miracle!
Words Apart (CardZones)
Paul Gordon has a new DVD available giving his tips on working card magic commercially for a full time living. It comes complete with a trick called 'The Eight Of Diamonds' - a truly stunning effect using Marlo's Placement Technique.
Basically, someone thinks of a number, remembers the card at that position and you locate it instantly with a kicker ending. NO questions or prompting are asked throughout and its 100% a self worker.

It's a killer!
Overkill from one of Ammar's ETMCM!! it's a creation of Paul Harris and some other magicians too
it's really a killer
Gemini Twins-Fulves
Stolen cards by lennart green is a gemini twins type concept but with the potential for excellant patter story and a kicker ending ,
Ive only just bought stolen cards and it is the dogs dangly bits
"Who is the World's Greatest Magician"---spectator handles the cards until 1/2 way thru the trick, and then the rest is history---very nice closure trick also
[quote]"Will the cards unite" - but I am not sure where it can be found in print.[/quote]

Try Larry Becker's explanation on this very Magic Café itself:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=15666&forum=37&post=134950

Jack Shalom
The one that works itself...

Socrates

'He who can copy, can do' - Leonardo Da Vinci :die:
I like the clock never lies, the 21 card trick and have you seen it yet
Also take a look at Soul Mates in Magic for Dummies (really!)

Jack Shalom
Daryl's [b][i]Dream a Card, Any Card[/i][/b], also in [i]Magic for Dummies[/i].
My vote goes to "My Favorite Gemini" in Allan Ackerman's Las Vegas Kardma. Dean Dill's variation in the same section of that book is also appealing. It's called "Gem-Money Mates."
For an effect that that can play very well with some acting, check out Vernon's Emotional Reaction. It's also a great effect for skeptics.
What's the best 'in the hands' (ie without a table) self-working card trick?
I suppose a simple force and find trick

What about a Svengali deck? I class that as self working!
Random Sample Shuffle-Bored, which appeared in MAGIC August 2003, is EXCELLENT!!!

I performed this effect twice last week for a few friends of mine who have seen almost all of my routines. These friends are totally on to me whenever I perform a double lift, pass, or any technically demaninding move. This is because they have seen me perform many times and I often use their opinion as a gauge to my new routines.

This self working trick was PERFECT since they were burning my hands sooooo hard and there was nothing to find. They were blown away.

I think some self-working effects are great to add into your performance for those situations where a spectator is trying VERY hard to burn your hands and you want to fry them.

Also, Paul Green has a variation on the presentation for Shuffle-Bored which he calls "Jeopardy" and can be found on his "In the Trenches" video. I guess it is a matter of taste whether they prefer Paul's revelations or Simon's.

I think Simon's version has some more logic to the use of the revelations booklet but both routines are winners!!!

Kind regards,
Rich
I remember a long time ago (my first visit to a magic shop) a trick that was TRUELY self working. The magician handed me the deck of cards, the top card of which instructed me exactly what to do. I did a series of shuffles cuts, chose a card, and I guess it revealed itself after I did a certain sequence. I can't remember the name, but it was VERY self working.
There's a really good 'free trick' in the secret sessions called 'scooby doo' by JSBLOOM. Well worth 50 posts and a search.

acmp<><
Never had the chances to try them extensively, but I think that Daryl's Untouched and Fulves' Gemini Twins could be very powerful.
"out of this world" by paul curry. hands down my favorite selfworking trick. audiences love it and (sadly) it sometimes gets better reactions than a trick with a dozen knuckle busters.
A gimmicked rising card deck is self-working and easy to perform. It gets great reactions from kids.
My favorite lately is Aldo Columbini's ATLANTIS which has a DOUBLE KICKER ending. And the trick is basically also self working.
Nick Trost - The Lone Stranger.
Looks impossible, and yet, so easy to do.
Harry Lorayne's STOP trick???
Peace,
Parson
Hello,
One response was "Who is the world's greatest magician?" I used to perform this effect and looking to find the refernce (inventor and name of book). Can anyone help?

Thanks!
And someone above may wanr to check out my version of Shufflebored - called The Equalizer. It's an impromptu killer - in my opinion, of course. hl.
CSmall - Is it maybe 'Support your Local Magician' by Steve Beam from ‘Semi-Automatic Card Tricks vol 5’? It certainly has phrases in it along those lines, although looking at the description in the previous post I'm not so sure, so maybe or maybe not the one you're looking for.
I would say invisible reverse, on the T11 website by Chris Kenner. Always gets great reactions.
In my own opinion The best self working card tricks are from Juan Tamariz
1) Neither Blind Nor Stupid
2) Total Coincidence
This thread would be more helpful in the dedicated Café area for "self-working" effects, but, be that as it may:

There have been a LOT of great suggestions Gandalf. (Are you Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White?)

I am much better at pointing out sources than effects because I believe in the end what is "best" is what suits you. However I will add Smyth's Myth and its many variants. For ME at least it is a KILLER plot.

Off the top o' me noggin:

Steve Beam's SACT series, Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie, Some self-working stuff in many of the journals of course, Aldo Colombini is a GREAT source for self-working effects, Fulves of course has been mentioned, The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks is LOADED with great stuff, Royal Road to Card Magic has some interesting self-workers, The MASSIVE Stewart James Books are a veritable goldmine of EVERYTHING.

Also, consider effects that aren't sleight heavy from people such as Nick Trost. Buy The Card Magic of Nick Trost. This is a GRRRREAT book. I should also mention the series The Subtle Card Magic of Nick Trost. (Richard Hatch and Charlie Randall, it is time for volume 3, yes??) Also, Peter Duffie and Robin Robertson's Card Conspiracy volumes and Diamonds from Coal have some good stuff. Harry Lorayne has some beauts all over the literature. One effect that IMMEDIATELY comes to mind is Guess Quotient from Best of Friends III. It is a devastating effect for me at least.

Also, I STRONGLY urge you to invest in The Tarbell Course in Magic. The PATTER might be dated, but, the effects and the philosophy are SOUND.

Surprised no one has mentioned Card College Light and Lighter.

Simon Aronson is a WONDERFUL source for HARD HITTING magic that is NOT sleight heavy at all. And no, he is NOT all about memdeck work. Get Try the Impossible, and learn Prior Commitment! Yes, I know I am going against my own advice (again) by naming a specific effect, but, this is one of those gems that KILLS, and it will fool YOU when you first try it Gandalf. Rumour is that Saruman wanted it in HIS repertoire but those Uruks would not leave him in peace; something about a Ring and a Hobbit? Anyhow, Prior Commitment is the first of a series of effects from Aronson that utilize a principle called UnDo Influence. Prior Commitment is a STRONG piece of magic.

Crossroads from Ben Harris is an excellent effect with a LOT of bonus material. Also Ben has something VERY powerful coming out. Look at http://www.wowbound.com

Oh the heck with it, here are a FEW effect suggestions (some repeats since it IS 3:02 AM (A minor?? Yes, the relative minor of C major and the parallel minor of A major) and I just got home from a music gig:

GrEight by Paul Gordon, Untouched by Daryl (this is a variant of a Tony Faro idea published in the UK journal Pabular in 1974), Impossible! by Larry Jennings, Pseudo by Stephen Tucker, Dangerous Game by Max Maven, Twin Souls by Al Baker, Spelligant by Harry Lorayne, Kicked by Simon Lovell, Impromptu Out of This Universe by Harry Lorayne, Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon, The 4-5-6 packet trick by Sal Piacente (based on a William McCaffrey idea found in Greater Magic).

I think though that the BEST ANY type of effect is what YOU find works best for you Gandalf. There are enough ideas in this thread to keep you studying for a LONG time, and how cool will it be to say to Galadriel (if you are Gandalf the White you now of course dwell in Valinor) "Pick a card you Elvish babe!" (Thinking here of Max Malini's famous line to Queen Victoria: "Mrs. Queen, please peek at a card."

A rock musician posting on the Café after a gig! And you guys thought we just partied with groupies!! :P

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Lennert Green's Stolen Cards is great and fun to perform...
Further than that is another very good one I think I first learned it via one of the Ammar easy to master tapes.
No votes for Bannon's Dead Reckoning? Wonderful trick.
Dead Reckoning requires a faro shuffle. For many, that removes it from the list of "Self Working". It is an excellent effect, though.
Steven:

I performed Dead Reckoning at a party last night and it doesn't requie a faro shuffle. You must be thinking of a different trick.

Ted
He's thinking of the sandwich effect...isn't dead reckoning the one with the mental spelling?
Ted, Shodan, you're right. I was thinking of Dawn Patrol. It's another effect by Bannon with the same methodology. You're right, Dead Reckoning would classify as self working. However, I still use a faro to get the correct card into the correct position before doing this effect. I also use a modified handling so that I don't need to set up the top half of the deck in advance, I'm able to do it impromptu.

In any event, yes it's a great trick.
For me the best collection of self working card tricks are the books of Roberto Giobbi Light, Lighter, Lightest. It is simply a great collection of great nearly "self working" tricks.
Out Of This World Card Trick by Paul Curry
[quote]
On 2010-03-28 13:36, Laurent A wrote:
Out Of This World Card Trick by Paul Curry
[/quote]

Laurent,

Between the two, I would choose Lorayne's Impromptu Out of The Universe, because the deck can be genuinely and freely shuffled by the audience. Curry's original IS phenomenal, and that was what I performed until I found Mr. Lorayne's approach. In addition, you do not do the whole deck.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Random ACAAN by Tommaso Guglielmi.

M.P
Cut Deeper force is pretty good for any routine.
OOTW or cutting four aces -- these are tricks with visual appeal but self-working in method alllowing you too concentrate on presentation skills. Basically any trick which is simple in effect -- I love loads of self-workers but do the layman?
Harald: I'd be curious as to your thoughts AFTER you check out my work.
[quote]
On 2010-03-28 17:17, rabbit_box86 wrote:
OOTW or cutting four aces -- these are tricks with visual appeal but self-working in method alllowing you too concentrate on presentation skills. Basically any trick which is simple in effect -- I love loads of self-workers but do the layman?
[/quote]

rabbit_box86,

I am rather curious about your comment concerning laypersons. If your magic is such that the non-magician can tell the DIFFERENCE between sleight heavy or what Stewart James referred to as "muscle magic" and actual sleight of hand, then perhaps your question is best answered by figuring out HOW they could POSSIBLY know the difference. If the layperson know you are doing a ton of sleights in an effect then you are not doing those sleights properly. ("You" meaning an hypothetical you, not as in YOU) (Grammar hosts, do please notice the proper use of the indefinite article "an" before a word beginning with "h". I have seen few of you do it properly ;) )

rabbit_box86, when a non-musician is listening to music, she or he is not thinking, "Oh, THIS song is better because the artist used a Caug5 as a nice passing tone to F, or, very clever use of Ebdim9 on THIS song which makes it better than the previous song which was a simple I-IV-vii-V-I simple chordal progression." What I am trying to illustrate is that you are too close to your own magic - and by this I mean you specifically now. You are so tied to method, that you equate method and effect. When you do that, it is time to take a breath and remember that EFFECT matters. More specifically, the more impossible an effect LOOKS to a lay audience the better your presentation has been. Method IS important insofar as it is a sound method that gets the effect done with maximum impact. (Hmm, too bad there is already a book by that title)

I will, for the 235th time quote the great master Theo Annemann when he said: "Effect is EVERYTHING." [emphasis mine] Done CORRECTLY, Jennings's "Impossible" is just as STRONG or should appear just as strong as Ortiz's "Pick Up on South Street." Certainly some effects are stronger intrinsically than others. Thus we have effects in our repertoires that serve better as openers and some as closers. Your act should smack them HARD at the beginning and climax to total annihilation at the close. But, everything you do should be strong. Method is a means; it is not the end.

When I was starting out - and I am not implying at all that you are new at this, and even if you were, it does not detract from you as a person - I would confuse the terms "easy" and "simple." That which is simple takes us from point a to ending in the most efficient means possible. Some of the simplest effects in existence are not in any way "easy." Read some Darwin Ortiz for just one of many examples.

Many times there is the propensity to get mired in method. Many people learn sleights but have no clue how to use them within a given framework. People are NOT going to be entertained by method. Yes, they WILL be entertained by displays of skill to a point. That is why a few flourishes are nice. But, the audience wants to be mystified. Effect, effect, effect ...

It is most difficult for us in the mystery arts however because we must by necessity conceal our skills. A juggler can wow the punters with 13 objects in the air, a pianist or other instrumentalist can shred on incredibly complex riffs and themes. But, the audiences seeing them are not there to be mystified.

So, I will answer your question in this manner: Laypersons LOVE magic when magic hits them hard, leaves them entertained, mystified, and annihilated.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Be careful of your statement too about any ace cutting effects. They run the gamut from virtually sleight of hand free to knucklebusters.
"I will, for the 235th time quote the great master Theo Annemann when he said: "Effect is EVERYTHING."

Amen to that. The question was Best Sellf Working Card Trick and my answer is "anything visual and simple in efffect". Layman remember OOTW and Ace Cutting for the rest of there life. By ace cutting I mean not just to cut four piles and transfer cards but also Herb Zarrow Revolving Aces from Harry Lorayne first book.

Many self workers are bland, dry, to long etc. If someone said what is best sleight of hand trick my answer is the same: anything visual and simple.

Thanx for your advise vlad --- top respect. Ahimsa -- rabbit
A potent presage
Jack Carpenter The expert portfolio #1
is a strong self-working effect
I wouldn't say that this is the best self working card trick, but it's certainly very strong in my books.

Gemini Twins also familarized as the Rainbow deck.
For those that have mentioned OOTW, I really love Galaxy by Paul Harris which isn't exactly an impromptu version of the effect, but has the spectator handling cards pretty much the whole trick and it kills every time. I also really love Jaun Tamariz's Neither Blind Nor Stupid. As a matter of fact, if you do NBNS, then go right into Galaxy, the spectators see the cards have been shuffled and cut several times during the previous trick and it makes it that much more powerful.

As far as impromptu, almost "no work" effects, I always fall back on just doing a key card location - simple, can be done with a borrowed deck, no prep, and will fool any lay audience without any tears.
Harry Loraynes, Out of This Universe. My favorite of the OOTW effects.
Rennie
Worth mentioning again. (Threaded about this last year)
Mr. James Hamilton's: "Eyes Of The Gods".
This is on a Michael Maxwell vhs tape, 1992. I'll dig out the title and come back.
Update: "Mike Maxwell's Incredible Self-Working Card Tricks/Vol. #1")
(I trimmed down the ending, the reveals. In order to eliminate the face up dealing, just spread all the cards, face up, on the table.)
One step ahead principle card trick is good thought!
Occasionally I use B'Wave in corporate walkaround gigs
as its completley self working and gets great reactions.......
Steven Youell's "The Card Trick That Has No Explanation" gets some of the best reactions I've seen from a card trick. It's not exactly self-working, more of a semi-automatic card trick.
You can find it in Steven's lecture notes, Weapons of Mass Destruction, which he is offering as a free download right now!
I'm surprised that nobody mentions Twists of Fate by Aldo Colombini. What a beauty !
The Wizard, a favorite of Steffi Storm's (aka Mrs. John Scarne) is a beauty. Maybe not the "greatest" but I love it. I use it with my children and it is a hoot. What is funny is when one of them calls for a legitimate purpose and they have to stop me when I go into the "routine".
Chaos - Pitt Hartling. You have to remember the sequence of moves, but then it's pretty much self-working, and all can be examined at the end.
I think the 21 trick is good as it can be learnt in minutes even for a beginer but can still quite impress and audience. It was one of the first tricks I ever learnt and the times I have performed it people have been impressed.
[quote]
On 2005-01-02 21:54, twistedace wrote:
SIDESWIPED hands down
[/quote]

Self-working, lol that is funny.
[quote]
On 2010-03-30 18:23, DemainPhoenix wrote:
A potent presage
Jack Carpenter The expert portfolio #1
is a strong self-working effect
[/quote]

This is my favorite! Too bad the portfolio is so hard to find, more people would be doing this self-working miracle!!
I was looking out the window at the trees....and I just couldn't decide which one was "best".
Lorayne: Impromptu Out of this World
Not to say it's the best - but I like it a lot :) , Mike Powers "PM Principle" is killer, especially if you do the "plus" version.
There are several that come to mind but the first two that I thought of right away (both in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Card Tricks) are Gemini Twins (mentioned by several others) and Any Deck, Any Time. When I did restaurant work, I would sometimes perform Gemini Twins (with a brief premise on what soulmates are) for couples and did as atest/experiment of how in sync the two of them are at this moment in time. I did this a few months ago when I was out with a large group of friends and acquaintances.... one of my friends (who had just moved in with his girlfriend) asked me to do a couple of tricks. I involved the two of them and did the routine as I used to perform it in the restaurant and she was so touched by it that she began to cry. It's like Mark Wilson wrote in the preface of one of his books, "The secrets to good magic can be quite simple. So don’t judge a magic trick by its secret --- judge it by its effect on the audience."
[quote]
On 2011-02-05 16:45, Jimmy Joza wrote:
There are several that come to mind but the first two that I thought of right away (both in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Card Tricks) are Gemini Twins (mentioned by several others) and Any Deck, Any Time. When I did restaurant work, I would sometimes perform Gemini Twins (with a brief premise on what soulmates are) for couples and did as atest/experiment of how in sync the two of them are at this moment in time. I did this a few months ago when I was out with a large group of friends and acquaintances.... one of my friends (who had just moved in with his girlfriend) asked me to do a couple of tricks. I involved the two of them and did the routine as I used to perform it in the restaurant and she was so touched by it that she began to cry. It's like Mark Wilson wrote in the preface of one of his books, "The secrets to good magic can be quite simple. So don’t judge a magic trick by its secret --- judge it by its effect on the audience."
[/quote]
That's a really nice story. Can you elaborate a bit on your presentation of the effect? How exactly do you connect the spectators together? In the usual presentation it's more of a connection between performer and the spectator (because performer selects the cards where spectator stops) so I'm really interested in how you present it. Thanks
A brand new effect by Ben Harris --- PSI Poker
I have a lot of great self worker and discoverys but I really like John Bannon Power of Poker. They do all the dealin and you win every time.
I would strongly reccomend Out of this world. I did it for someone once who sat down for 5 minutes unable to speak after seeing it. Ivisible deck is also very good as is X-ray by Ben Harris and Steve Shufton. The wizard product review is a great way toguide you on good thing to get and what to stay away from.
I think I would have to add Patrick Redford's new ACAAN effect to this list. Brilliant.
Twists of fate hands down.
I have watched 3 performances of "Twists of Fate" - I think for the most part it is brilliant. However, I do have one issue - which I noticed right away - it is near the end as the 2 packets are being dealt/shuffled according to the spectator's call (spec calls out "shuffle" every once in a while as the cards in each packet are dealt).

Clearly, this is no obstacle to many here loving the effect. It does give me pause, however, as I noticed immediately. And I don't think this is a case of thinking like a magician. I would imagine that an observant spectator would notice, though perhaps not every time.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts, both positive and negative. I realize that there is the "it flies by them" argument :) but I can't bring myself to believe it flies by *that much! :)

Replies might be better via PM.

Thanks -
I was at the public library a few weeks ago and took a break from study to browse the rather pathetic magic book selection. I grabbed Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and the first trick I tried, called Magic Breath, has been getting me tremendous reactions ever since. Hugard's description says it all...

"THIS is a good example of how the presentation can be made to transform a simple trick into a striking effect."
>I do have one issue concerning Twits of fate

What is the issue ? You think that layman won't believe the deal-shuffle sequence ? I have the effect and if you do it fast, it looks very convincing.
The best self working card trick is the effect in one of Eugene Burger's DVDs. I don't remember the title but a few different spectators lay down the cards and as soon as they get this "special psychic feeling," they stop and place a bill down to mark the spot where they stopped. A few spectators do this procedure and when it's done, all the cards they marked turn out to be all Aces.

It's great because the magician barely touches the deck. The spectators do 70% of the work, and the spectators are placed in a "heroic position," as all of them did something magical, and all become winners since all the cards become aces
Althought its not one effect--check out S'lie by Mick Ayres
I like Harry Loraynes Lazy Mans Card Trick.

It's easy, and lets you concentrate on presentation issues.
Perhaps it may not be my favourite, but I like to perform a very simple effect called 4-Most by Peter Duffie, in which the spectator handles the deck all hy himself and "finds" the 4 queens after a series of free choices. The method is cleverly concealed, the magician does barely touch the deck, and it never fails to get strong reactions. It is a variation of an older trick whose name I don't recall.
My new favorite is Numbers by Rus Andrews (see ebook category for latest reviews). The performer does not handle the cards. He makes a prediction. The spectator chooses a number and counts down the cards to that number. The card at the number selected by spectator matches the performer's prediction. Really brilliant. No sleight of hand whatsoever.
One of my favorite self-working card tricks is "What's Your Number" in Mind Reading Card Tricks by Robert Mandelberg. The book is a card trick book for kids but has a few hard hitting mentalism style card routines. This one routine can only be used if you can find out someone's phone number in advance but it leaves people totally bewildered and amazed.
Yep, bought the book for that one routine! Nice and cheap book, mind, but what a lovely effect on audiences this has. Additionally, I use this same principle and combine it with Aronsons 'fate' and you have an awesome effect with a normal deck of cards that slays audiences; something a bit 'special'...
If you like the ACAAN effect, the most easy ACAAN with 2 deck that you can perform is The Eyes of Darkness by Tommy (It is selfworking).
Another one, but requires just bit of practice is: Duplicity by Tommy. Duplicity in my opinion you can compare it with the Holy Grail,
if you perform a double ACAAN.

It is very hard to do better with 1 or 2 regular decks.

MP
Pre_deck_ability by Aldo Colombini
Hidden gem for the day: Quadruple Coincidence from the book entitled Scarne on Cards. No skill required. It's a "do as I do" effect with four magic moments at the end. Pow... pow... pow... POW!
Hello Café members! I think a few great self-workers are those that are published by Harry Lorayne that have already been mentioned (OOTU, Equalizer, Lazy Man's Card Trick, etc.). Recently, I happen to stumble on one of his that I overlooked, from CUCM V. 1, in the Bonus section, called REALLY. This effect is truly amazing, and requires absolutely NO effort on the performer's part at all. The great thing is that it works no matter how you stage it (look it up, try it out, and you will know what I mean). I still can't figure out how it works (but fortunately all I have to do is perform it, not explain it!!). Good luck to all of you in the future!
[quote]On Jun 19, 2011, magicwanabe wrote:
Hello Café members! I think a few great self-workers are those that are published by Harry Lorayne that have already been mentioned (OOTU, Equalizer, Lazy Man's Card Trick, etc.). Recently, I happen to stumble on one of his that I overlooked, from CUCM V. 1, in the Bonus section, called REALLY. This effect is truly amazing, and requires absolutely NO effort on the performer's part at all. The great thing is that it works no matter how you stage it (look it up, try it out, and you will know what I mean). I still can't figure out how it works (but fortunately all I have to do is perform it, not explain it!!). Good luck to all of you in the future! [/quote]
Harry has since published REALLY! in his book [i][url=https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=677808]And Finally[/url][/i].

For those who aren't familiar with the effect, here is Harry performing "Really!", as part of his terrific [url=https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=663052]Jawdroppers! Lecture[/url] in celebration of his 90th birthday:

[youtube]JG57UDLyQPw[/youtube]
I love ‘How To Find Your Other Half’ by Woody Aragon from his “A Book In English”. I think he also teaches it on his Penguin Live Lecture as well.
And I love your thoughts on REALLY!
Another self working effect I love to use is called “ Where It Has To Go “ by Rick Lax, the participant makes all of the decisions and you only touch the cards to explain & go through a quick selection process
[quote]On Jun 19, 2011, magicwanabe wrote:
... I happen to stumble on one of his that I overlooked, from CUCM V. 1, in the Bonus section, called REALLY. ... [/quote]

Hmm. Looking for this trick and not finding it in my old copy of Close-Up Card Magic. So, is this in the updated version in the Classic Collection vol 1?
Seems as if nobody took the time to answer you, cosermann. Yes/ my effect REALLY! is in the bonus section of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1. If you don't already have it, good luck finding a copy - it's been out of print for a decade or so. But - as someone mentioned above, I updated the effect (REALLY!) and explained how to use my Utility Mixer as part of the presentation in AND FINALLY! (If you don't have a copy of that - act soon, it's heading towards "sold out.") REALLY! is one of the strongest effects I know and perform. HL. (You can order AND FINALLY! or whatever else of mine is still available at harryloraynemagic.com .)
[quote]On Aug 5, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Seems as if nobody took the time to answer you, cosermann. Yes/ my effect REALLY! is in the bonus section of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1. If you don't already have it, good luck finding a copy - it's been out of print for a decade or so. But - as someone mentioned above, I updated the effect (REALLY!) and explained how to use my Utility Mixer as part of the presentation in AND FINALLY! (If you don't have a copy of that - act soon, it's heading towards "sold out.") REALLY! is one of the strongest effects I know and perform. HL. (You can order AND FINALLY! or whatever else of mine is still available at harryloraynemagic.com .) [/quote]

I consider myself fortunate that I was finally able to get AND FINALLY. Though it took awhile, my patience was dry well rewarded. I wholeheartedly agree with get it while you can.
This is a strong effect from Mr. Lorayne. I forgot about this effect until I saw the effect of Mr. Lorayne performing it on his 90th birthday. It even fools me when I perform it. You just wonder how can this be.

Allen
Thanks Harry. I'll see if I can find a copy.
No search necessary - just go to harryloraynemagic.com AND ORDER IT!
Impossible - Jennings
JC's Super Closer - JC Wagner
LMCT - Koran
Pre deck ability - Columbini
Do as I do - Royal Road
Shuffleboard - Aronson