(Close Window)
Topic: Dunninger & Escapes
Hey Rick Silmser, one of your posts said you had a lot of knowledge of Joe Dunninger and I was wondering if you might share with us some stories or thoughts about him related to escapes. IF anyone else has Dunninger stories, please contribute those as well.

Carnegie
I've heard of one story but am still trying to verify it.
Mrs. Dunninger told me about the time Houdini and Dunninger were in a magic store together in NYC. When Harry was out and about, he loved to be the center of attraction and Dunninger being Dunninger, said to Houdini...something along the lines of " Houdini, what if I put two pair of Bean Giant cuffs on you, keyhole to keyhole and taped them together"? Well, the story goes that Houdini took Dunninger by the collar and said "lets go to lunch kid"....and the rest is history.

~Rick~

PS-Please keep in mind that Dunninger was not into escapes for very long and even when he was, it was nothing hardcore, but only part of his magic act.
R.
Great Story Rick. I'd be interested in any stories of Dunninger, escape or otherwise. Thanks for sharing that.
My pleasure, indeed. Have you seen the "My memories at Dunninger's place" in the "Penny for your thoughts" area?? I'm thinking about doing part 3 later today.

~Rick~
Gonna check it out as soon a Don gives me a rest. LOL.
Yes Dunninger was known more for his mentalism. Quick question to anyone who can answer, Why was Dunninger's surname sometimes spelled Donninger?
That was probably a type-o, my last name is Silmser and some spell it Silsmer.
His full name was Joseph Dunninger, no middle name.
I have seen is spelled that way in a few places in different books... Cant think of them off hand right now. Will have to go check again.
I just saw an image of Joe D. in cuffs on the handcuffs.org site.
He did do a few escapes, but, mentalism was his specialty.
Would be nice to know about Dunninger. and hear of the tales of Him.
Yup. Tell us More Rick!!!
Plus any Other Tales of Your Escapes Their Great.

Hey Rick Great Ideal Here. Why Not do a Book on Dunninger and put all of his stories in it.
Well, I don't really think I'd like to do that. I don't mind telling my memories here, but a book ???? Naaaaaaa.

~Rick~
Hey Rick, You have his famous quote wrong.
"For those of your who believe...No explanation is necessary. For those that do not believe...No explanation is possible." DUNNINGER

Maxine Dunninger

[quote]
On 2005-01-04 05:03, Wolflock wrote:
Gonna check it out as soon a Don gives me a rest. LOL.
Yes Dunninger was known more for his mentalism. Quick question to anyone who can answer, Why was Dunninger's surname sometimes spelled Donninger?
[/quote]
Hello, that is incorrect. His true name was Dunninger.

Maxine Dunninger

[quote]
On 2005-01-10 08:14, The Donster wrote:
Would be nice to know about Dunninger. and hear of the tales of His.

Hello, may I suggest reading some of His books, ie, What's on your mind or Dunninger's Secrets.

Maxine Dunninger
Thank you very much Maxine...it will be changed now.

~Rick~
I do know the correct spelling Maxine. I was just wondering why quite a few books got it wrong?
Wolfie are you Rested now. when did she Pop In ?
Yes I am rested now. Maxine. I take it you are Related??? Yes? If so. Tell us More!
Isn't Maxine His Daughter ???
Yes, I am Joseph Dunninger's Daughter.

By the way, my father was excellent at escape acts from escaping out of safes, trunks and cuffs and chains. One of his publicty agents even had him jumping off of the Poughkeepsie Bridge. He was not happy with this venture, but it was already advertised that he would be doing it in full view of many citizens of that city, while being shackled in cuffs and leg irons. The agent said that he had it covered. When the time came for the big event to take place, the agent called the mayor and the police anaonomously, saying it would be a crime to let someone do such a dangerous stunt. Of course....they stopped it.
Maxine, that is a great story. Thank you for sharing it. Do you know the approximate (or exact) year of the event?
The stage is yours, Maxine...he may have been your dad, but others know much about him as well.
~Rick~
Hi Maxine, loved the story,,,tell us, in your opinion what garnered the most publicity,,,,the fact that it was stopped for being too dodgy. I wonder if it had gone through, would it have made as much interest for the public.
Such is showbiz !!!
What if she happens to own his diaries and other personal memorabilia?

What if she was sitting on his lap at those special moments of inspiration, and he let her in on a few things the rest of us only can dream about? It could have even happened accidentally!!

Did YOU ever see him prepare for going on stage, from his skivvies up? I bet she did! Do YOU know what his little quirks were, those little nervous habits that most obsessed performers have? I bet she does!

What about his favorite foods and drinks? Did he like chocolate especially? Did he prefer milk over beer, or beer over wine?

What was his favorite magician to watch (if he could even dare to admit to such a thing)?

What was his favorite venue to play?

I could go on and on, but I feel my point is clear by now.

Maxine, your position as Dunniger's daughter is of course accidental, but just as envyable all the same. Anyone here would offer various fingers, toes, or even an eye, to achieve by design what you achieved through fate.

Chance
Very nicely put Chance.
It would of been nice to have that happen. have a dad that is famous.
I don't know so much Don. You always have to tell everyone the same stories over and over again. Kind of like hearing the old can you make my wife disappear joke. It must get old. Plus you have to deal with old memories which may or may not be good. You will always have to live up to the standards of your parent as far as other people will be concerned. They will always expect you to be doing the same thing as your parent, etc. I think it could be hell or heaven to live like that.

Regards
Wolflock
What same old stories.
The ones you would be telling to everyone about your parent.
eg. If you were Maxine Dunninger, if you had a cent or penny for everytime someone told you to tell them something about Joseph Dunninger, You would be a very wealthy man.