(Close Window)
Topic: Long Pour Salt
Hi,

I have recently ordered the James Riser 'Ultimate Salt Gimmick', and I was interested in the history and origins of this effect.

I have read in articles that Roy Benson and Fred Kaps greatly improved this trick, but I am unable to find what of it they actually improved.

Does anyone know the history and origins of this trick, as well as the adaptations/improvements of the handling throughout the years?

Thanks
for the help!

Sam Clarke
The trick has quite a history. See how far google gets you and then maybe we can fill in some of the blanks. Seems odd to start with such a finely made piece of apparatus instead of just one of the basic routines (many offered from long ago) but perhaps that is a good place to start anyway.
They contributed PRESENTATION -- the single most important part.
Ross Bertram had a lot to do with it. Look in [i]The Magic and Methods of Ross Bertram[/i] for more information.
Sorry about the eye Pete. Did you get the wooden leg to go with it?
That's fixed, now look!
I guess than ran out of parts and only had two right hand parts left.
I could be incorrect but to My knowledge, Roy Benson was the first one to have the stream of salt pour from the bottom of his fist rather then turning the hand over. I think the way it was originaly done was the hand was turned so the thmb side of the hand would be towards the floor and the salt would then pour out that way.

To me the way Benson and Kaps did it looks more natural.
Dr. Zola had a rubber TT with a slit in it. Squeeze it and salt came out from below the fist. Too small tho...
Bertram also had it pour out of the bottom of his fist.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jan 14, 2005 05:40AM)
Would that be Charles or Ross Bertram?
Ross. See my earlier post.
There is a great act coming to the Magic Castle awards show that has a continuous salt pour (well it is sand) that goes for about 10-15 Minutes. It involves two surfer dudes and they literally wind up with about a foot deep of sand filling almost the whole stage.

They had some tech problems last year at the WMS, but I thought those aside, the act was awesome.
Pete:

We do that one in Texas all the time. No gimmicks. If you drive about 40 miles east of El Paso, you will see where I have been rehearsing it. It's called the Chihuahuan Desert.

This is the one version of the pour that the wind actually helps. I used to practice up around Alamosa Colorado, but I had to give up, the dunes got too large.
Can someone help me.......i'm trying to get in touch with james riser to see when he will have more gimmicks for the salt pour available. I went to his website and tried to email him, but something about having to sign into microsoft passport prevents me. I don't know about this microsoft passport. Does anyone have an email address or phone number where I could reach mr. riser. or can someone tell me how I get into this microsoft passport. thanks
Patrick;
I'll be spinning a small run of my Ultimate Salt Gimmicks the first half of February.

I was not aware of any "passport" requirements. It might be on your end. It's not part of my web site. Everyone else (plus every spammer in the world) seems to get through OK.

try:
jriser@jamesriser.com
or
jriser@mindspring.com

Jim
Try to find the book "Texan Trickster" (by John Morhing) for a routine and tips on presenting this effect.
Years ago they just sent you a medicine vial. The late John Pomeroy used to make a fancy Cellini type device
Well, you can all credit Paul Kozak with helping to repolularize the trick whether you buy his gimmick or not. It will become a required trick like the linking rings. The audience always asks if you can do that trick where the rings link and unlink. Now it will be, "but can you do that trick where salt comes out of Kozak The Great's hand???" Kaps and Kozak!!!!

-=tabman
[quote]
On 2005-01-06 15:43, Pete Biro wrote:
They contributed PRESENTATION -- the single most important part.
[/quote]Hey Pete on that note I'm looking for the Danny Korem salt bowl. I had one when I was a kid and did not realize what I had until after I sold it....any one? Beuler, beuler any one Beuler.Dimmare
It is very hard to find one of those Korem Salt Bowls that still works.

After the initial run of them, there were some big issues with these bowls, and they never seemed to be quite the same.

You might send a message to Kenna Thompson and Ron Allesi that you are looking for one.

Posted: Apr 18, 2005 3:13am
Here is some more on the salt pour. According to Ross Bertram, it was originated by Henry Gordien, who used a simple tube. Ross tried increasing the capacity various ways. Ade Duval had Danny Dew make him a special gimmick for producing a silk which was later converted to use in the salt pour. Vernon had one of these.

There is a lot of information in The Magic and Methods of Ross Bertram.
[quote]
On 2005-03-01 21:59, Bill Palmer wrote:
It is very hard to find one of those Korem Salt Bowls that still works.

After the initial run of them, there were some big issues with these bowls, and they never seemed to be quite the same.
[/quote]
To fill in the gaps of my historical knowledge : What is the Danny Korem Salt Bowl ? What did it do ?
(not asking for the method; just a description of it's function in a salt pour routine.)
I've posted this before. But I think it bears repeating.

The 2-DVD set "Ed Sullivan Presents The Beatles" contains the entire episodes in which the Beatles appeared. Two of them also contain magic acts. One is Fantasio (no canes or candles 'though!) and the other is Fred Kaps doing a card trick that goes wrong, (the audience seems embarrassed at first, Fred is almost done with the trick before they realize they're allowed to laugh) and the salt pour.
Can you supply the exact title, publisher etc. on that DVD with Kaps doing the salt, please?
[quote]
On 2005-05-04 21:38, Pete Biro wrote:
Can you supply the exact title, publisher etc. on that DVD with Kaps doing the salt, please?
[/quote]

"The Four Complete Historic Ed Sullivan Shows featuring The Beatles"

distributed by GoodTimes Entertainment (very VERY small print here, but it looks like 16 E 40th St., NYC, NY 10016.

Produced by SOFA Entertainment. http://www.sofa4u.com There's a number on the inside flap that reads 05-81624.

Fred Kaps is on the first disc, on the first show right after the Beatles (there's a position I wouldn't envy!)

Do you think we might get the Sullivan people to release a "magic" DVD? Or at least maybe a "variety" DVD that would feature magic along with the vents and acrobats et. al. that have appeared on the Sullivan show over the years.
SOLT, with help from Ricky Jay "did" a series with variety acts that did air, but I missed most of them. I don't have time to check right now, leaving tomorrow for three weeks in Europe.

OH, thanks for the details, etc., above.
Korem's Super Salt Bowl created the illusion that a clear plastic bowl was slowly filling with salt as it poured from your hand. It made whatt amounts to a saltshaker or so full of salt, look like a 10" in diameter by 3" high bowl of salt. It think it enhances the illusion since there is such a long pouring, but such a small quantity on the floor. This looks like the amount of salt is being produced that the illusion creates. It was mechanically very clever and ingenious, but not so well constructed.

Rick Anderson also had a salt pour gimmick that was literally endless. As I recall, he called it the Solid State Salt Pour. You stopped the flow whenever you wanted. You could, literally, pour for an hour if your audience wasn't asleep 58 minutes before. It relied on something completely different from the usual Salt Pour gimmicks. He, too, had a bowl, but its purpose was to vanish the "salt" at the end or, more accurately, change it to a silk.
I like the idea of catching it in a bowl, or a tray, rather than setting the stage up for a "sand dancer!" :kermit:
[quote]
On 2005-05-09 15:05, Pete Biro wrote:
SOLT, with help from Ricky Jay "did" a series with variety acts that did air, but I missed most of them. I don't have time to check right now, leaving tomorrow for three weeks in Europe.

OH, thanks for the details, etc., above.
[/quote]

I'm lost. What's SOLT? And I don't get to see a lot that DOES air these days so I'd be looking more for a DVD set like they did with the Beatles.
Andrew Solt is the owner of the Ed Sullivan shows. Do a google to find his site.
He runs a production company that bought the Sullivan run of programs about 20 years ago. It's great that they're finally releasing some of the material, and allowing re-broadcasts (though mixed and matched from different old episodes) on public tv. Of course, if you live in New York or LA, you can also view a lot of Sullivan material at the Museum of Television and Radio History.