(Close Window)
Topic: Long distance spinner-how many in the air and caught
Have been practicing this move for a few weeks now. I have been able to get two cards in the air at once and catch them both. I know there are many more prodigious pasteboarders out there, anyone do three at once? Four? Fifty two? ;^)
Try this:

1. Catching with mouth
2. Shotting from behind the back
3. Between the legs
4. Shoot under your arm towards your back, turn 180 degrees and catch

That's the four moves I do :)
I have one where I do a 4 card production. The first goes to the mouth. The second is kicked out to the left hand. The third is kicked out and caught in the deck and the 4 card is on the bottom of the deck to finish the production off. The hardest part is in the mouth, other then that its simple. I hit this move in front of about 40 people at the Saint Louis Magic Jubbilee a while back. Just killed. The nicest part was the 3rd card that got caught in the deck, I kicked it up atleast a good 15-20 feet. I did this in my hotel room practicing and hit it a few times. Then went down in the lobby and missed it the first time in front of all these people. Even after I missed everyone wanted me to do it untill I hit it so that they could see it. I nailed it the second time and floored everyone.
If you have a ball sense, you might be able to try out the mouth catch, but I don't recommend it, you can both get a slam on your tooth that hurts a bit (Yes it sounds weird but it actually hurts I was told.)

Also if you don't´catch it perfectly, you might go blind.

Wanna try it? Not me.
Funny you say that because I actually split my lip 3 different times. I shot it up and missed the catch and it nailed me in the lip. I had a cut lip at a convention that sucked a big one too.
I don't shoot from the Long Distance Spinner Position. I use a modified grip where the index finger shoots the card off instead of the thumb. I find that it's easier to split the deck this way. I can currently shoot two up and catch them both in the deck, but I'm working on three. (The hardest part is ceiling space, I just don't have enough). I tried to show two cards in the magic shop but they kept hitting the low ceiling, even though I was practically on my knees! I tried the mouth many a time, but I can't quite get the angle right. Oh well. Try doing a DL then do a boomerang card behind the back. The DL splits into two cards and you catch one in each hand. Looks very good. I have also caught the card in the middle of the deck about 3 times where it went perfectly square. I wish I could do that on command...I really do. I did it infront of another cardguy (fluke) and it looked like I missed it, but there was no card on the ground. I was just amazed as he was.
I managed to fire three off the other day and caught them all. Your right about the ceiling Jordini, my living room has a 12 foot sloping ceiling, I think it would be very hard without that. I suppose you could stand on your knees to practice! Thanks for the dl idea, that sounds very cool, I will have to try it!

Charles
Yes, I use the same method of shooting Jordini. I can do the ldspinner but don't like it as much and its a lot easier to spit and catch.
I stand in awe of you all.......I worked on this for time......do really great with one card up until I reach around the 3rd or 4 card, then the top cards seems to slip up making it impossible to launch the next one. I've heard some use a soft TT but this would not work for me.......perhaps I didn't try hard enough....any one have any suggestions pls post it here or pm me......tx
Any body have any video proof of a 3 or more card catch?
No sorry
I don't know about the soft thumb tip thing. You don't need that crap. Just practice. It takes a second but you'll get it.
A second........lol
Chris......I watched a couple of your on-line video's...sure looks like you put in a ton of seconds.....lol

I liked your ace pop out, very nice.
Don't know about the soft TT thing? apparently jeff McBride sucks, because he 'needs that crap'. I mean he must really suck because he can only shoot it, what, 40 feet with it. that's so weak!

good thing WE don't use that crap!
Ive never seen anyone use a tt for a shoot out. I mean 40 feet is pretty nice. If he can shot it up 40 feet or so and catch it that's all you need.
Yup, that's how far I estimate he gets it...and also get some bounces off the floor too. I think total trajectory goes even further, 60, 80 ft. way out into the audience. and he does it w/ pairs as well. the super soft tt really helps in this regard.
Oh yea, I thought you ment shooting it and catching ti. ive seen McBride launch them in the crowd and off the stage ect. Its hella tight. He really gets em moving
I *think* he boomerangs (or shoots vertically) the occasional card, and catches it or kicks it. He sometimes does pseudo-juggling moves too...it's really nice to watch.

see ya around, chris-
maurice
I wouldn't consider a rubber thumb tip crap, it depends what you are using it for. When it comes down to all out card shooting wars (I mean shirtless, goggle type battles), you are hamburg without something to help propel. Two fisted, two thumbed card shooting with tips and you are virtually invincible. Ask my brother, he has the scars to prove it.

Oh, was this about magic?

A humorous tale on the long distance spinner can be found here for any one interested: http://www.geocities.com/fingerjack/spinningcards
I don't do them all at once, but I like doing Greg Wilson's FISM aces for people at times, where the LDS is a crucial part of the effect. Anybody who knows this routine will agree with me, I'm guessin' :D

-Kev
I have this heaps high space in my house down stairs. Anyway I had been practicing for about 3 months on multiple cards with the LDS. I had done two pretty easy but then I decided to try three. After about 1 month I could get them consistantly. Then I decided to step it up to four. I got it first go but I was on my knees and shot four as high with as much space in between them. When the first came down in was fine then the second which was out to the side a bit then the 3rd which was more to the side then for the fourth I had to dive out to my extreme left from my knees and in doing so I cracked my head on the side of our entertainment system. I caught the card but cut my head in doing so. Haha, it really hurt.
Liltut,

I have no video proof that I caught three cards, sorry. I have only done it once and definitely can't do it consistently.

Hamil,

I used a rubber tt when I first started practicing this, it was a night and day difference for me. Make sure your thumnail is cut short and don't use the middle of your thumb. Are you using the Tarbell book to learn this?
Ragtop.....one of the guys was doing it at the magic shop years ago....went home and started practicing it but as I said, I do well until I get to the 3rd or 4th card. Not sure what you mean about the middle of my thumb as I only know about using the tip of my thumb, is that what you ment?. Didn't know it was in Tarbell.....which book if I may ask?
Hamil,

It's in Tarbell vol. 4, Audley Walsh's long distance spinner, p. 127! Make sure you bow the cards along the long axis.

When I said don't use the middle of the thumb I meant don't use the middle of the tip of your thumb pad, I use the left edge of my right thumb, basically in line with the left edge of the nail. If you don't have a rubber tt then go to an office supply store and get a soft rubber tip (used for easier grip on paper fastened into file folders).

I have heard some describe this with the deck held between the first finger and pinkey, I found it easier to use the ring finger instead of the pinkey. I think my ring finger bled a little from practicing this, I have a small callous there now. Hope this helps!
Fingerjack, that's awesome! I wish my cat did that :P
Shirtless, goggle wearing card wars? your nuts man.
I don't know. All I do is bend the card, sometimes I even fold it. So far, it never took off. I almost forgot about it until I just read these postings. How many decks does it take until you have it down?
Wolfgang, that is another technique, but you should consider looking up the Long Distance Spinner. With the bending technique you will not get the card very far at all.

TO CLARIFY...When we say "catch the card" we mean back in the deck right?
Jordini, I am talking about the same trick. When I hold the deck tight and my thumb moves along the card very fast, that's when the card doesn't take off but is getting bend instead...
Oh. Well there's another one that bends the card to have it take off. It sounds to me like you're maybe holding it too tight.
I lyke doing the boomerrang with the long distance spinner. It gets greate reactions

Reverse
Aww I'm sorry about your cat fingerjack. but that's a really awesome story.