(Close Window)
Topic: MOABT: Was it worth it?
Would like to know from those who have actually bought this ... any buyers remorse? Do you really feel this was worth the price you paid for it? I ask because I am considering buying it, but would like some feedback from those who already have. Is it really all that superior to all the rest?
I've got it; however the only reason I bought it was due to the selling price Ģ150.00,which was cheap.

The book test, as described in "Mentalism Incorporated" is excellent. However.

The majority of the time when I do a word/book test, for some reason I tend to perform those "self made" book tests that I've made myself.

I would suggest that if you perform on a regular basis, then the investment is a good one.
With so many methods out there to choose from the MOAB does seem a rather costly route. The lasting impression upon the audience is what counts and this is achieved through presentation and premise. The books themselves should only play a secondary role in support of the premise. I personally like the book test by Ty Kraylin form Syzygz using a nmemonic method and any book. Also check out The Trllis Caper by Leo Boudreau for a similar approach.
Moabt is worth twice the price. its the only test I use.
Hi, I am contemplating getting this, could seone tell me the advantages over other booktests, for example Ultimate Flashback?

Thanks in advance.

K
Hello,

The selling point of "Mother Of All Book Test(MOAB)" is this:

1.The book is ordinary looking, has no page repetition, and completely examinable.
2.The book is a hard cover edition, so if you hope you can replace the dust jacket.
3.You don't hold the book. A spectator freely handle the book. You don't need page # infomation. That means a spectator opens any page.

Interestingly Ultimate Flashback(UF) already has a partial MOAB feature. For example in UF a spectator looks at a second paragraph and choose any word in the paragraph. And a mentalist divines the word. If you have UF, you know what I am saying.

MOAB itself is a stand alone effect, but can be combined with any book tests.

Have a good book test.
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Jan 10, 2005 07:51AM)
Stay away from this one...
Jay, thanks for that. Would people say that it is still worth getting MOAB if I already use Ultimate? If MOAB is as you describe then ultimate is much more diverse, is it not? And of course Final (the new one) further still, and cheaper?

david_a_whitehead, why you say that?

K
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Jan 10, 2005 09:26AM)
Because I want it for myself. I'm not sure why these threads pop up in the first place. Haven't all the pros said time and time again that nothing is as good as the Mother? It is the best. There is no comparison. Now don't buy it.
Does anyone know if any UK dealers cary this book?

cheers
Jon
[quote]
On 2005-01-10 10:13, Kennedy wrote:
Would people say that it is still worth getting MOAB if I already use Ultimate?
[/quote]

Hi Kennedy,
In my opinion, absolutely worth it.
In a general opinion, if you like the second paragraph test in UF, it is worth it. If you don't like the second paragraph test, it is not worth it.

In MOAB a mentalist hand a book to a spectator(During the test you can wear a blind fold though it's not necessary). He opens any page. He silently choose a word in the page(no writing it down : just in his mind). The procedure of word selection is the same as the second paragraph test's in UF. A mentalist divines the word. Sounds(Looks) real thing.

The principle is the same for both. In UF you are limited to the second paragraph. In MOAB you can do the test with one whole book.

Happy testing.
Also worth adding lots of subtleties with MOABT, and would recommend Mothers Home Companion booklet which Richard Busch released which takes it to another level. I agree with David though - don't buy it.
Totally worth it. I used it all the time when doing stage hypnotism shows as an opener. I also remember seeing a campus performer of the year (Craig Karges, I think), using this in a mentalism show I went to see him do.

It's very expensive for dilletantes but if you are performing it is totally worth it. I had both versions and would give them a totally free choice of either book, nice guy that I am.

It's simple and direct...performed even halfway competently it looks like real mind reading and gets gasps.
I have been very pleased with this purchase...and second the opinion that the addition of Richard Busch's Mother's Home Companion greatly enhances your thinking about how to use this book test.

Recently I have been disappointed with a couple of major purchases but this is great and seems to suit me well. That may be a key. Some effects work for a person and fit into their act and some do not. I had a strong attraction to book tests and, after experimenting with a much cheaper alternative, I felt ready for this.
Thanks for al the replies guys, much appreciated,

Take it easy

Kennedy
In the book test thread someone mentioned the Millenium book test by Daniel Rhod (now unavailable). Does anyone who owns MOABT also own the Daniel Rhod one? The descriptions sound identical - are the modus operandi the same?
Rhod's book test is a direct rip-off of The Mother albeit in French with different words and a different story. It was produced without the permission of Mr. Karmilovich who subsequently came to a financial agreement with Mr. Rhod. Unfortunately, Mr. Rhod only fulfilled HALF of that agreement and still owes Mr. Karmilovich a substantial sum.

Thom
Ahhh many thanks for the clarification Thom. Phew - that's one less method to worry about!
I had it demo'ed in a Magic Shop and caught on to the method immediately. But, then, I have some knowledge of booktest methods. My wife was flummoxed..and still is...even after I prodded her with "Why on earth would he want to know what letter it starts with?"
Oh My God, surely the guy that demoed it didn't just ask for the first letter of the word! if so, he shouldn't be using this test. Not very subtle!

Steve Dela
Worth every penny.
I've been using it in a routine combined with UF and Final Exam. It's a mentalism tour de force!
L. Zaslow
Sounds like the guy in the demo shop had no business demonstrating this book test, he should stick to penny through rubber.
I don't have it. A friend of mine in this area does, and he taught it to me. I don't want to compete with him now on it as it's his pet trick.

That said, I think it's better than any other test if you are worried about conditions and tough audiences. I've seen it fool the most cynical of people. That's partly my friend (David Hemmelrick's) showmanship, but it is the most bullet proof I've seen. I've seen David do it close up and on a platform. On the other hand, the cheaper book tests may be what you need for another situation. I just think MOABT is safer.
IT IS TRULY GREAT!
Stephan, that your good buddy cares not for ethics.

MOABT is safer than what?

Jack
I didn't like it , neither did my girlfriend.
Boring, a bit repetitious and too many long words.

How can you call it great?

bb
MOABT is available from me in the Uk. pm me.
MOABT...I used it so much I got three copies, one as a reserve and two to give them a choice.

If you don't perform, it's too expensive...if you do, it's great.
Is it available with different covers ?
There were two different versions, one hardback and one paper...different basic text but they were interchangeable, allowing a totally free choice. It didn't matter which one they chose. I can't be more specific w/o tipping it, but I'm sure you get what I mean.
No the MOABt has never been supplied with different covers. Unfortuneatly due to the advert it says three colour cover. it actually means a cover in three colours! and NOT three colour covers!!. It is hardback and comes with a comprehensive instructive booklet.
Would it be too much to ask what verbage is used in MOABT? It's these fine points which should separate it from the others. I'm not looking for method. I just want to know in detail how clean this book test is.
It's clean, you got to do one pump and that's an easy one...many ways to do it have been proposed and most come off squeeky clean. I never had a blink and used it as an early effect for the warm-up section for countless hypnotism shows.

I have two paperbacks and a hardcover...the paperbacks are identical and the hardcover has a different cover and title...the paperback is presented as a murder mystery and the hardcover more of a love story...the paperback I have is a dark green cover and the hardcover has a white dust jacket.

Still, this was many years ago...there may be just the one version out now...you would have to contact Marc Sky to find out.
It's the same.
[quote]
On 2005-04-19 14:36, Ian Broadmore wrote:
No the MOABt has never been supplied with different covers. Unfortunately due to the advert it says three colour cover. it actually means a cover in three colours! and NOT three colour covers!!.
[/quote]
It is encouraging that Ian had the decency to point this out. I saw this description of the effect in an ad for the hardback version some time ago. Now, I already have the soft cover version, but I thought that here was an advantage of the hardback. But having been burnt SO OFTEN with magic purchases (as have we all), I now look at magic ads with a special kind of analytical process: how can what the advertiser says be totally true, and yet be construed in a way to burn the livin' bejesus out of me and cause me to buy something worthless to me. I applied this approach to this ad, and concluded that it was not three separate covers, but one cover with three colors. Phew - dodged a bullet on that one.

It's a shame we have to be so on guard with magic purchases, even where we should feel safe. It seems like a game: can the sellers word an ad such that they know will induce an incorrect reliance, but then be perfectly protected when their words can be interpreted differently. There ought to be a word for that.

Gianni
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Apr 19, 2005 09:43PM)
The hardback version is of course the way to go. You get a book that is superior in quality and can take a beating if you perform regularly.
And of course you can change the cover on the hardback if you wish or you could purchase tweo or three and put different covers on them !!. (Just remember to buy from me! :)
Hi,
What subtle methods do people prefer to ascertain a 'letter' ?
Regards.
Broadmore,

Tedīs MOAB is only in English? Are version in other idiom ?
I am Brazilian and my people language is Portuguese...

KARDINI
I've just bought the MOABT's and I'm really thrilled with it.
It's all I could wish for, and more.
Great item, and looking forward to working out a really nice, personal routine !
Hi,

For mentalists who mostly preform in front of german speaking audience, like me, there is a pendent of MOABT.
The effect ist really strong. In brief:
You can stand feets away, spectator can read a little in the book and then select ANY word he likes.

Immediately you are able to tell him what he is thinking about and even tell him the exact word.

It is said at the website that this german book test is limited until 2009 up to 200 pieces.
When I ordered mine shortly ago it was registered as #133.

Price is €133,- (about 119,-).

Check it out at: http://www.miracle-makers.de

Greetings
Thomas
I orderd mine from Mr. Broadmore via ebay. What I will say is this, please, please, just don't do MOABT stand alone. Put it in a book test routine, otherwise you'll give the game away. Remember, every technique cancels the other out. Thanks, paul.
Paul,
How does your MOABT routine fit together ?
Piers.
Very well thanks piers!!
Great !

( Is there a special moabt forum any where ? )
You can find some excellent handlings and other uses for MOAB on the Conversations With Mindreaders CD's.

Thom
And the Mother's Home Companion is excellent too !

Hello,

Was pondering this in bed last night .....

Has anyone thought about .....

Once you have verbally revealed the word, following up with a written prediction of that word ?

This would need 20+ outs of course. That's a lot of pockets for envelopes, but I'm sure it could be done.
Any thoughts ?

It would certainly amaze me as a spectator.

Piers.
[quote]
On 2005-06-24 01:36, Piers wrote:
Hello,

Was pondering this in bed last night .....

Has anyone thought about .....

Once you have verbally revealed the word, following up with a written prediction of that word ?

This would need 20+ outs of course. That's a lot of pockets for envelopes, but I'm sure it could be done.
Any thoughts ?

It would certainly amaze me as a spectator.

Piers.
[/quote]

Both Puck & Mac King do this exact thing in their shows.

Greg
Oh !
How do they reveal it ?
P.
[quote]
On 2005-06-24 04:31, Piers wrote:
Oh !
How do they reveal it ?
P.

[/quote]

Puck has a trained Cockatoo that supposedly pecks at paper until the word is printed on it and King does a funny bit with a grocery bag that ends up having the word printed inside.

Greg

By the way, Piers, my personal opinion is that a final prediction of the word lessen the overall effect. Why? Well, if you had a prediction already written up then why are you struggling to get the word?
Sometimes predictions end up being not a good thing to do... even in both of the magicians' acts I mentioned I felt that the prediction ended up making MOAB look more like mental magic than mentalism.
Just my opinion.

Greg
Good point, Greg.
I guess you are right.
If you already know it, why search for letters ?!
MOAB is def. the way to go if you can afford it. The impact is worth 3 times the cost of the book . . . this one kills people.

It is so clean, so fair, so . . . IMPOSSIBLE. If you don't have one, chances are 99.9% that this thing would knock your socks off if you saw it performed.

I have to kindly disagree with "magic in mind". MOAB can def. be performed alone without any other books or book tests (or word tests for that matter)!
You don't need multiple methods and effects to cancel each other out in the audience or participants mind! That is truly silly thinking, again, running when you are not being chased . . .

Try this, walk around with MOAB and a bookmark about 1/3 of the way into it.
When the situation presents itself, hand the book to somebody, have them remove your bookmark and open it to any page they wish. Proceed as normal.

MOAB can withstand the closest scrutiny and never have I had a person who wished to examine the book. It's all how you do it . . .

EXAMPLE: Remember the Haunted Key . . . how many times have you done the effect only to hand the key out for examination and find the spectator placing it onto their hand and DUPLICATING what you just did? Hand the key out first for examination, and THEN do the effect. Aka, let them fully inspect MOAB "if they wish to" (I have not ever run into such a person, the book looks so natural) and then perform your demonstration.

Asking for the book back to replace your bookmark is entirely natural and they are left speechless. The book is just a tool, secondary . . . the heat should not be on the book.

Happy slaying,
-J
The inventer Ted Karmilovich, says he uses the MOABT with two people. That's something I have still to try. The instructions cover this routine and several other presentations.

Personally I like to incorporate several books in a test, and will be trying a routine similar to Chuck Hickock's presentation "Books Galore" from Mentalism Incorporated.

I do like TT2' bookmark idea!
I always use two people when doing this effect also.

Goes over very well indeed. I have performed this as a stand alone before. I can pull it off. Now I do a variation on the hoy test first.

My routine is 10 mins of solid entertainment off what is really just MOABT.

Steve Dela
I personally use the MOABT with three people, that incorporates a multi phrase routine It kills people and I close my show with it as its that strong. If anyone wants one I currently have three in stock.
Are the EBAY versions knock offs? I didn't see one on Ebay but saw a purchase from Ebay mentioned one of the threads.

I just ordered one from Mr Lee.
[quote]
On 2006-05-28 03:20, Candini wrote:
Are the EBAY versions knock offs? I didn't see one on Ebay but saw a purchase from Ebay mentioned one of the threads.

[/quote]

What ebay versions are you talking about?

MOBAB has been sold on ebay, I got mine there four years ago, at a fraction of the cost that I might have to pay otherwise. It was in excellent condition, new, and was worth the nail biting that I did over the week of the auction.

Are there MOAB clones on sale too at Ebay?
[quote]
On 2008-05-26 00:33, mindguy wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-05-28 03:20, Candini wrote:

[/quote]

What ebay versions are you talking about?

MOBAB has been sold on ebay, I got mine there four years ago, at a fraction of the cost that I might have to pay otherwise. It was in excellent condition, new, and was worth the nail biting that I did over the week of the auction.

Are there MOAB clones on sale too at Ebay?
[/quote]

Ha, so long ago I forgot. I love the Mother and she has produced time and time again. I could not imagine a stage or parlor show without her by my side. I wish the price would go up.
We primarily do illusions, but MOABT has been a great addition to our show. It can be repetitive if you do it with more than one person, but that can be avoided by changing the way you reveal the word. As far as the cover goes, we have three of the books so we went to a bookstore and to find books with the same size cover as the MOABT. We use them to give the books variety, and it works well. It's an unusual sized cover so it wasn't easy to find, but it was worth the trouble. We definately think it's worth the cost too, and I'm glad some people consider it too expensive because it keeps it from being overdone.