(Close Window)
Topic: Richard Sherry's Steel Straight Jacket - questions
Hello. I have been considering purchasing a steel straight jacket from Richard Sherry's Magic and figured my best bet is to register on the Café and post a question. It looks amazing on his website. Does anyone have one of his steel straight jackets? What are your thoughts on it? How does it rate against the other jackets available? What do people think of it who haven't purchased it yet?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Personal preference for me,,,,not Stainless Steel.

The Steel Jacket has earned me a hell of a lot of cash this year,,,so don`t buy one.
Why not stainless steel?

You must have one from the Cannon's (Ian's jacket). What do you think of it? Is it high quality?

Fred
Mine was a special (Not on Cannons site) Yes Ian made it to size for a one off gig overseas.
The working was completely different and will not be gone into here.
Why not stainless steel,,,,
1) SJ`s are not used nowadays.
2) Plain metal with a little rust proves its an original !!!!

OK, just my way of thinking / working.
Thanks Kondini!

I don't know how many people actually have steel jackets as part of their escape show right now but what do people think of it from the picture on Richard's site? Would you buy it???

Fred
Hi,

The above posts only serve to illustrate why there should be as many escape equipment suppliers as possible out there.

Certainly, people's preferences are different and having different suppliers and creators out there only offers more choice to each performer.

In this instance, for those that like bare or rusted steel, there is Ian's jacket, and, for those that prefer a glimmering surface finish that may be better suited to underwater work there is Richard Sherry's creation.

In the long run, it is not about which is "better" but rather about which is more better suited to a particular performance format and personal likes/dislikes.

Having more escapology equipment suppliers is a step in the right direction for all who perform escapes!

Steve Santini
Well said Steve! I agree whole heartedly.

Fred
Hi Fred, nice to meet you. Before you purchase your jacket, may I suggest you check out Ian McColl's work on the steel jacket that he makes ? I believe his jackets are all custom made to your body size, I may be wrong but I don't think so.

You can see his work at http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.net/catalog.html

~Rick~
Nice to meet you too! I've looked at the jacket on the Cannon's site as well. Do you have one of their's or have you seen one? What do you think of the quality of Ian's jacket? I'm not too keen on what others were saying about it rusting (although some people seem to WANT it to rust). The jacket that Richard makes is customed sized as well (sized per customer).

Thanks!
Fred
Hi Fred, well I don't own a steel jacket as of yet, I have been inquiring about the SSJ since I saw it at Cannons. If it rusts...then that means that the owner is not taking care of it. WD-40 was invented just for something like that. A good rub down with a rag and WD-40 after each show is all it needs.

Besides, this is how I look at it...do I really want to go on stage with a nice, shiny, magic store looking prop or something that looks old, used, and especially, authentic ?

Ian is a craftsman and does nothing without putting lots of thought into his work. I think if he thought it was going to be a problem, he would have addressed the issue from the start. I personally don't mind rust spots on my metal escape props as long as they still work 100%

To close, all I can say is ~WD-40~

~Rick~
So are Richard Sherry's.

Like I said earlier, it all boils down not to what others say, but instead what work best for you.

To make such a purchase based on what others tell you and not on your own specific needs in not wise and is only throwing money out the window.

The fact that many here who have replied own ther jacket is a clue for you that there are some alterior motives at work.

Bottom line: If it is not versatile and tailored to work for you in ALL circumstances, then avaiod it at all costs despite what anyone else may say.

In the end, you as the consumer is the only vote that really counts.
Steve Santini
Hi Fred, welcome to the Café. I don't as of yet own a steel strait jacket and I haven't seen Mr. Sherry's creation but I have seen sveral versions of Ian's Jacket at the Dixie Dooley show in Las Vegas and at the last two Escape Artist conventions. To take nothing away from Mr Sherry's version I really do like Ian's jacket and it is of the highest quality in my opinion and will last a lifetime. I have purchased many of his fine products and have never been dissapointed. Which one you choose, will be, as Steve Santini pointed out, as matter of venue and personal preference. As Kondini also pointed out, Ian will certainly do custom work to make sure you are 100% satisfied with the product. I know he has a few different versions of his jacket, including a sand blasted one, so if you have any questions about any rusting (and I think a better term to use here so as not to confuse people would be metal discoloration)you can contact Ian directly. He's always very helpful. You can PM him on the Café at "Trunk8".
Best regards, Tony Parisi
In the previous message I meant to say that many who have replied own NEITHER jacket.

That should say a lot to you.

In time you will come to find that escapology is divided into two distinct camps. Mainly, those who think Ian McColl is the end all because there has for years been nothing else out there and those who seek additional alternatives.

Those who seek those additional alternatives are often the ones put down here on this part of The Café.

If you do not believe me, check out previous posts.

Every prop and person in escapes has a specific place. If only all would agree to that all would be cool here.

Steve Santini
I've checked Richard's site and I think that it looks very formidable. It doesn't look like a magic 'prop' to me. Part of it is how the EA performs the escape. It looks strong and menacing, not rusted and weak. The jacket on Cannon's site really doesn't impress me much, maybe it's just the picture.

Also, I don't really want to smell like WD40 when I perform. Not only that but it stains clothing. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions, thanks for yours.

I think I know what I am going to do.

Thanks guys!
Fred

Thanks for the info Tony and Steve! I appreciate everyone opinions. I have already contacted Richard Sherry and am very pleased with the quick response.

Thanks again.
Fred
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jan 10, 2005 05:45PM)
Personal opinion (and that's what it is): I think Ian's looks better.

Steve
Ian McCol makes a great steel jacket.I also make a great steel jacket. They both serve different needs yet the same needs.They are performed in different ways.It all depends on what you are looking for.I would like to think there is support and encouragement for all the builders ,performers and creative positive thinkers in this wonderful field of ours.
All the best to ALL of you.

Richard Sherry
To clear a few things up here.
I own three jackets and have used all three over a period of the last ten years or so.
Prior to that I had made, at great expense a jacket of chain mail (Once more for a one off well paid gig).

As Steve has said, its a very personal thing each to his own, thank God we are all different and present our escapes as an extension of our own personalities, what works for me will proberly not work for you.

I use this action each time I am looking for a new prop.
Locate all that are available,then try and weed out those that are obviously not for me or in my opinion poorly made, I then buy one of each which are left on my list (Yes maybe its an expensive way to work) But until I have tried all then how can I judge the best for me and lets face it I very seldom purchase at all, it has to be something that I know I will use and give a good return in the future.

At the time noted I required a jacket for a certain gig.
I did a long search, with very,very few results at that time.
I duly got the Ian McColl Cannons jacket also another from a fellow ea in Germany, although both were very well made, neither at that time fitted the demands of the bookers.
So I contacted Ian with the basic idea`s I required as he was the only source known to me who would be capable of my requirements.
After much time and effort, my desire`s were met, I had a jacket,one of a kind made to the highest of degrees.I was, and still am a very satisfied customer, this SSJ has made big bucks for me.

Regarding the rust,,,,the jacket was painted with grey paint and looked good (The Cannons McColl jacket that is) But for my usage, fire was involved so I stripped all the paint off (The second one off SSJ that Ian made, was not painted,at my request).
Through its constant use outside a slight colour change was seen to improve the appearance of the jacket, a slight rustic (Surface only)Look which I found more to my way of presentation,,,yes at the end of each month I clean it up so that the "Rust" will not take hold, but I still prefer it weathered.
I hope I have explained it clearly enough.

Now to the Stainless Steel, Yes it looks shiny (Like a magic prop should)I am sure it is well made but too new,too propy will not do it for me.Also having had Restraints made in stainless steel at great expense in the past, a common fault is that the weld/braze will not weather as well as the actual steel and in the end this becomes a weekness (Welding techniques may have improved since then) So this is my opinion based on my own findings.

I can only say compare and try, but first off make sure you really want and have a place for this type of prop in your show, its oh so easy to make snap buys,,,,proven by the number of props up in my attic and garage and shed yes and some more in the bedroom as well !!!!!
The SSJ I have was made by Ian and purchased through Cannons. Because the jacket is metal, there are areas of paint that will chip away through use. Any area where a lock can touch the paint will eventually scrape paint away for example. But you can easily touch it up.

I've had mine for a long time and love it. It's a big prop to carry around but I'm used to that. I've also looked into the SSJ that Richard makes and his design is different and offers some things that Ians jacket doesn't.

I think the SSJ is a great piece when done well, but like anything else, performed poorly it can just be an expensive mistake. A regular straight jacket offers a lot more variety and is easily transportable. As I only own Ians Jacket right now, I give it 5 stars!
Interesting ideas here.

Dr. Stephen Midnight, can I ask what draws you to Ian's jacket?

There seems to be a lot of maintenance to the McColl jacket. I have been thinking about this purchase long before I posted here on the Café. I appreciate everyone's insight into this matter. I, too, am glad we are all different because that is what keeps this field growing.

I'd like to note though that we should consider the products the new builders have within the industry because they each have different ideas and create different products that otherwise wouldnt' be available. Not only that but some competition in any industry is healthy to keep the prices competitive and fair for all of us.

Fred
"Amen" Fred.

It is always best that everything should be open to exploration.

Steve Santini
There are different ways of painting the jacket. and one can even get rust colored paint. if one would want it to look old/rusty.
I would stick with Ian's. You do not want to be going around with Takeda handcuffs flapping around.
Well I own neither so a futur purchase is down the road. I like the idea of having a choice and lean towards stainless, but I do think regular would look good brushed and painted stove black. Can you picture that? A rel iron sort of look.

To be completly honest though, when I make the plunge it will be a combination of steel and heavy canvas with re enforced leather. I don't want to do what all the other several hundred steel or stainless owners are doing.

I encourage each individual to go a step further and have one custom built so yours hasn't been seen before. Take whatever you like steel or stainless and go to the builder to get one only you have. Make sense?
Hi, thanks for everyone who has bought one of my Steel strait jackets. And for the favourable comments and those others comments which are noted, and food for thought. (and maybe I could interest you in getting one)

As my website says, I make custom made items and I make what I call stock items. The SSJ was made as stock item. As pictured at the Cannon's site was the generic jacket, the most popular design ( based on the TC Houdini movie jacket because this is the one most audiences can relate to)

I chose to make it from mild steel as it was easy for me to work with and didn’t require special welding. It could be plated, left natural, painted, aged, blackened etc. More versatile than stainless steel and cheaper. And if it even needed some type of repairs, hinges, hasps etc, any machine shop could assist. (saves sending it all the way back to Australia, especially if your show is the next day)

Some of my customers either needed something different or wanted something different. As each item is hand made, I have made alterations to suit the needs of the individuals. I do this with many of my items.

Most people are happy to a purchase an “off the shelf’ item ( custom made to suit their size though ) Apart from the items in my catalogue or the bigger and better (and color) Cannon’s catalogue , I make many other items to a customers wants and desires. Many send a photo, picture or their own hand drawn design and with consultation with them, I built what they require.

If someone comes to me with an idea or design of an item which is already being produced, I send them to where it is available.

As to rusting, like all things they need maintenance, just like a car or washing machine. And I would never used WD40. Fish oil please (LOL)

Thank you

Ian McColl
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jan 11, 2005 11:07AM)
I think what I like about it is that it looks more 'straightforward,' especially the wrist binding. It is also a near copy of the one used in the Houdini film (1953); which I always found visually impressive.

Finishes: When I eventually obtain one (and I will), my plan is to deliberately weather it, letting a light layer of rust form; clean it off (soft cloth), then spray the whole thing with a coat of clear Rustoleum. This maintains the rusted, patina look without allowing further rusting.

Steve
I guess this is how Tucker felt against the big "3"
Richard Sherry is a Great Guy. He Helps out Gives Advice and Helps one out when Asked. this here is a personal Prefrence. not only is RS SSJ made out of Stainless but it does come with Handcuffs as well. as I'm sure Ians can do as well. picking one out is Personal Prefrence. its just like buying a CAr buy the one you will be Happy With.
Well said Donster.

Fred
Thank you Don for your very kind words.

Richard
I have put a photo of the McColl SSJ that Mr Sherry purchased through Cannon's Great Escapes and had nickel plated next to his variation of it that he made in Stainless steel. Both look good but as neither was ever a mainstream item, my mind keeps coming back to the Tony Curtis jacket that I am familar with.

My compliments to him for his work, I know the difficulties in making SSJ I
when I started making them several years ago that I had have a finished product to use as a guide. I could have saved many hours.

Ian McColl
Hi Richard,

Never mind. You are not Tucker and Ian is only one, not 'The Big Three".

There needs to be more variety out there or pretty soon every one doing an escape act will be nothing more than clones of the other people who are also working with the exact same props.

Constantly shifting offerings made by different makers will benefit everyone in the long run. Too bad some simply cannot seem to see this but I guess the people running the only show in town would like to keep it that way as it benefits them financially.

Steve Santini
Hello out there!!
My jacket was fashioned after the Pomeroy Challenge Steel Straight Jacket.
Ian's jacket is fashioned after the Dunninger jacket.The two jackets are VERY different in look and presentation.I own two very different steel jackets and use them differently depending on my act.I am deeply disturbed by what is going on here.Maybe everyone should have stuck with the model "T".I had Ians jacket plated because I liked the look.It gets much more compliments then it did in its original finish and there is little upkeep.Ian had personally commented on it to me via e-mail that he liked it.
Fred sorry for all this nonsense.Go with what suits your style.

Richard

Thank you Steve Santini for all your kind words and support.
Richard
It's too bad all you guys know how to get out of straight jackets, because THIS is an insane asylum!!!!

Or so FredSaid.
I don't know if the big three is an appropriate term but in message posted. >Handcuff help needed.Posted: Jan 2, 2004 9:05pm quote. While there may be people out there like Ian (and even myself) who make t------d locks, cuffs and the like and there may be suppliers like the Cannons (and the EARL) out there who offer such props to the trade, such locks, cuffs, sweat boxes, or whatever do not ammount (sic) to a hill of beans unless the person purchasing them knows how to entertain with them in an effective way. And this is where the art is sadly lacking. People getting into escapes are being lured into what I call "the magic store trap". By this I mean that they are being offered mass produced and marketed escape products just like one is offered illusions in a magic store ……..<

Maybe the same "magic store trap" view is still held by the author but it appears to be a contridiction to the new view
quote" Constantly shifting offerings made by different makers will benefit everyone in the long run." By Mr santini ,which suggests more store bought goods.

I would be very happy to see many more "different" ideas being produced by different people, than copies and variations of the same things. However that being said as most escape artists don't perform outside of a give demographic the appearance of duplication is lessened. Like some magic tricks “zombie ball and coin through cigarette ( come to mind) which appear on TV and then everyone is doing it. There shouldn’t be any fear here.

Like most niche business’s, they are a niche because there isn’t a large market out there. If only one maker made 20 of a given item each year and then another 19 people started doing the same thing. Then maybe each business would only sell one item. There business would soon close.

Competitiveness through pricing is another factor, to grab a foothold in a new market, cheaper prices are usually offered and don’t reflect the costs involved in running the business and are only there as a bait for new customers. If the new business is lucky to establish a foothold and maintain the cheaper prices, quality falls. The old business goes under and the customer looses out in the long run.
There is more to the business than selling props here as it being thrashed out by Mr. Santini naively. As any maker can attest, many unseen hours of research and development go into making specialist gear. Many dollars are spent on hardware, locks and handcuffs which are just chopped up and destroyed in the process of designing and making something new and very useable to suit the needs of the customers in general.

I all my years I have seen many come and go and for two main reasons. Firstly the desire for the dollar, being a niche market some consider it an area to exploit to earn a few dollars only to realise that there isn’t a wealth of money to be made.

Secondly is the lack of dedication. Many of the inquiries require heaps of behind the scenes work. Example. A call comes in from a television company wanting to make a documentary and requiring a particular cuff. To be able to help them within their time frame, calls go out to many other people in the business who can assist, lend or hire an item. This then shipped to the customers, the return of the items is then also followed up.

Example 2, An escape artist requires other performers for a big stage show that has been trust upon them in short amount of time, again the network of trusted and reliable performance are approached via many emails and phone calls.

Most of this dedication to helping out those in the art of escape is not paid for or known but it is there. Newcomers to the field are unaware of the expectations of the seasoned performers.

I personally have had phone calls in the middle of the night from EA’s in desperate need of a product to fulfill a contract in only days and have had to make phone calls around the world looking for a customer I know I have sold an item to who lives close enough to get it there in time. Or I have had to work through a few nights and days just to meet the deadline.

The lack of undertsanding of this business by Mr Santini who calls himself a seasoned performer is outstanding. He’d be the type of guy to undercut the price of another performer just to get a few dollars.

In my business it is the needs of the my customers which come first, I could go back to locksmithing tomorrow if I wanted money and with less stress.

And to all of my customers or those who have purchased my products through Cannon’s Great Escapes and especially to those who I have called in the middle of the night for help.

Thank you

Regards

Ian McColl
Ian, that was probably the BEST posting I have ever read at this forum. It was clear, logical, truthful and to the point. I have seen your work, I have never seen Santini's. I have heard other people applaude your work and I have never heard a word about Santini's. You are world renowned for your work, Santini..?

~Rick~
Good job Woody! Puppet man can speak.
Is this thread about buying a straight jacket or more a bashing session? Maybe I was wrong to want other people's opinions. I think in the future I will sort it through within my head as opposed to opening up this sort of thing. I didn't intend for it to go down this path. There is no need to insult other people's ideas.

I'm sorry that everyone here doesn't get along and that those who don't get along feel the need to openly and publicly 'jab' each other. Why not just leave each other alone? Just an idea. It's a big world out there.

Fred.
I'm also aware Ian is putting you up to all your negativity. You slipped up and mention somthing only he would know.

Got it?
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jan 11, 2005 04:20PM)
Take note: I never said there should not be choices; there should.

I just said I preferred the McColl SSJ, and why.

There are several of Mr. Sherry's items I like as well, notably his Water Torture Tank.

Steve
Thanks for the message Ian. Its good to know what you are.
Just to make sure we all know each other would FredSaid be kind enough to come out of the closet>>>> I hate dealing with enigma`s.

I agree that our market is very limited and have yet to meet any dealer who has become rich from thier labours,,,,that is all the more reason to look after the few who do cater for us.

Regarding the result that we may become cloned if we use the same restraints,,,I feel that the pro, will always develope on their own, without influence of other pro`s,,,,well maybe pinch a gag or three but respect among pro`s (Those who really work this gag for a living) Is usual, and I find still exists today.
Ken.
Come out of the closet? Do you mean my real name? It is Fred Said.

Sorry for confusing you so much.

Fred.
Sorry, no offence,,,,my real name is Kon Dini.
My other hobbies are knitting fog.
It's amazing how small of a profile some people have.
Too funny, Don...some times you just kill me. Your sence of humor is simple and innocent. Well done my friend.

~Rick~
I can't help if my parents chose a stupid name for me. My name is Frederick Said. If you don't like it go cry on someone elses shoulder.

So Donster, pardon me for going directly to the post and not including all my personal contact information on my profile. I am now quite happy that I haven't because I don't need all this un-called for hostility from people I just 'met'.

Thank you to those who responded to my original topic.

I no longer feel the need to be part of a community that includes such FINE individuals as Kondini and Rick Silmser. Thanks so much guys...you are what make being an EA embarrassing.

Fred
Fred there have been a lot of trouble with previous people stating stuff with no information on their profiles. this might be why people are asking you questions.
Sorry to just jump in, but back a few posts....where it says "Just to make sure we all know each other would FredSaid be kind enough to come out of the closet", did anybody else think DIFFERENTLY of this? lol ;) Only kidding.

As for the whole straight jacket thing....I'm sorry I can't help out there, but I haven't really been into this art for a long enough time...

Daniel Santos
Daniel its ok. your not jumping in but was Fred mainly reading then wanting to join in on us he is welcome to. maybe he was scared to post at first because of all the bickering here. it helps if ones profile gives some information about the person. it helps to giva a idea of what the persons interests are.
If we all come up front then I see no problem,,,,I personaly have nothing to hide or be scared of,,,,,so I wonder why Fred has ran away surely he could stand his ground and enlighten us all as to his interests !

Or is it that the real Fred is just another enigma,or maybe a voice from the past has reappeared here with yet again another name !! whichever way you look at it he was never an ea cos to be an ea the first thing you require is a sense of humour, the second is a couple of ounces of bottle !
Come back Fred,
Regarding makeing everything embarrassing,,,,,,who is the one to do the runner and why?????
Yes Fred there are to many people goofing around with Names. there is a frederic said in nc. but we need to know you better so we can become your friends fill out the profile or tell us a little about yourself no need to disappear on us.
Ah . . the sparks are flying on the board early this year! :)

Hey, Ken, I didn't know you could knit fog ! !

If I send you some steel wool would you knit a Steel SJ for me ??? :rotf:
I'm thinking maybe this guy was legit on his first and last name. you have to almost feel sorry because of all the teasing that might of happened to him thru out his life.
"I no longer feel the need to be part of a community that includes such FINE individuals as Kondini and Rick Silmser. Thanks so much guys...you are what make being an EA embarrassing"

Actually, I would say that Rick and Kondini are two examples of why being an Escape Artist is cool.
Looks like it`s my turn in the barrell,,,,,didn`t want to upset anyone here, there are other people that do that without my help, just get a little paranoid when another pops up out of nowhere with no info on their personal and with people having multiple lables,,,well you get the drift.

Riley,,,,,it was meant to be a joke,,,,you know something like comedy,,,,,a sort of ha ha ha thing,,,,,I give up.
OK what size chest are you ????
Kondini I understand what you were trying to do. I'm thinking maybe Riley was trying to make a Joke to :)
I for one would welcome someone who offered a quality product that was different For ages, milk cans, water torture cells, handcuffs, straightjackets, pillarys and handcuffs were the acts of pretty much every escape artist. There may have been slight variation. Though the SSJ dates back many years, I don't think modern audiences are familiar with it, in fact, I know they are not.

I can see where a stainless steel jacket would have a little more visual impact over one that wasn't shiney and reflective. But it all boils down to what you are looking for. I actually have a design for a SSJ that is totally different from both of these. The look is nothing like either Ian's jacket or the one made by Richard Sherry. I've not had it built yet, so I will continue using the jacket I have because frankly, it gets a killer responce from the audience.

My point is that at least the SSJ is different from what is usually presented. And yes, as more and more of them become available to performers, the novelty may eventually wear off. But unless they became a mainstream magic item available to any magician, I don't see that happening. Escapists are a relatively small group compared to general magicians. And from what I've seen, most magicians have difficulty understanding how to present escapes effectively. Not all magicians, but a lot of them.

And one more thought. Considering how FEW makers of quality escape items there are, I would rather encourage them than discourage them. Go Ian, Go Richard!!! Keep up the great work.
Right on, the SSJ is a real crowd pleaser and that`s all that matter`s.
Very true and it don't matter who makes it or manufactures it.
I've just read this whole thread and am totally confused. All I got was Fred said Ian drank sherry and tried to knit a steel strait jacket in the fog for Riley.

Surely that's not right... is it?

Roslyn
LMFAO Uh wasnt Kondini Somewhere in there to.
Ros, go back to sleep old mate!!!
OK Just my two cents: Ian McColl, Steve Santini, and Richard Sherry are all fine dedicated craftsman and supply high quality items to a very grateful(?) escape community. Kondini, and Rick Silmser are both excellent, dedicated EAs, and really cool guys, who definitely speak their minds. KSD, Carnegie, and Doc Midnight are very often the voice of reason and experience. Oh and Riley, Ros and the Donster are all funny guys and often lighten the mood. My apologies to Fred Said for any comments that may have caused ill feelings. We are a close family here, just a bit disfunctional at times.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
PS to Kondini: I'm a 42 regular, would you put me down for a fog jumper :)
Do these fog things come in different colors to ;)
Hi Don, fog does come in different colors! It is very much like the smoke that we call electricity. That comes in three colors which makes the traffic signal red, green and amber. And when the machine breaks and you see the smoke, then you know the eletricity has escaped and the machine won't work.

Ian
So Kondini Can Knit us All Certain Items that we Want :) or should we all go to London and get the Fog there.
Wish I never started this.
>Kondini I understand what you were trying to do. I'm thinking maybe Riley was trying to make a Joke to

You crack me up, Don. And Ian, too.
Hey Maybe he is trying to use reverse Physcology on us now :)