(Close Window)
Topic: Review needed: DAEMONS, DARKINGLINGS AND DOPPELGANGERS by Tony Shiels
Does anybody own this book? Is it worth a purchase? What kind of routines are in there (I know that it contains "bizarre routines", I´m more interessted what kind of bizarre effects).

Thanks, Magixx
Very good book....Make a demon head rise out of sand in the dark...have spectators see your astral self floating above your head...stuff like that...you'll like it. get it!

Mike
Thanks! Please more comments!

Magixx
My question is: Have you read any of his books before. I don't do anything out of them, but they are inspiring and a really enjoyable read. They are not even particularly expensive, so no need to worry. Get it!

//Daniel
No, I haven´t read any of his books before. That was the reason for my question.

Magixx

And what do you mean with "not even particularly expensive"? Is 40$ too expensive?

Magixx
Check the prices at "Magic Books by Post" I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Unless you already paid $40 in which case your going to be really ****ed off.

Mark
@ lastnitesfun:

Thanks for this valuable hint! I have already ordered the book..... and some more from Shiels and Cameron (the Cameron books are 5 pounds each!).

About the 40$:
Somebody offered the mentioned book for 40$ on ebay.com (and "Something Strange" and "Thirteen" for 20$ each). Today the Café has halped me saving money.

Thanks again!!!!

Magixx
For the record:

Night of the Demon: The wizard summons a glowing demon amid eerie sounds following a mysterious red fire from a bowl...

The Mummy's Hand: A mummy's hand moves in the darkness while the wizard is tied, then the hand undergoes a startling transformation...

Hobgoblin: One of these nasty little vermin dances in the dark in the presence of a bound wizard...

Double Double: A participant is invited to stab the image of a man formed with a loop of chain on a pentagram. The shadow image of a man on a card, previously shown to be intact, is now wounded in the appropriate spot!

Dry Djinn: A bottle contains a spirit, which answers questions by rapping a crystal contained within. As the wizard releases the spirit, the wrapper on the seal grows red hot, and the bottle fills with smoke...

Death by Sorcery: The wizard asks a participant to select one of a group of five photographs of people and seal it in an envelope. He burns and mutilates a duplicate photograph; the participant's photograph is found to now bear corresponding injuries...

Baldpate Revisited: The wizard displays an uncappy power to find the right key...

The Warlock's Forelock: During some ceremony in the darkeness, a woman in the crowd screams. When the lights are hastily turned on, she now bears a white forelock!

Xyddatha: The wizard has a sitter concentrate on a Tarot card. He writes her initials and Zodiac sign on an envelope, sealing an unseen card within. After a brief reading, she is allowed to open the envelope. It's the very card she thought of!

Hell's Smells: A bit of hellish atmosphere for devil-summoning...

That's less than half of it. There's more, ghosts, scarabs, familiars and so forth. A few effects are "ghost written" by the like of Charles Cameron, some appeared in The New Jinx.

You already know if you like this sort of thing. It is a pleasure for me to re-read the wild ideas of Doc Shiels again and again over the years. I find this and his other books to be a great inspiration.

Yours,

Paul
Thanks a lot for this summary. I like ideas like this, and i´m looking forward to read this book!

Magixx
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jan 11, 2005 10:50AM)
I've never put much stock in the Shiels and Cameron books beyond inspiration and idea fragments. Most of the routines seemed 'untested,' and sometimes impractical, in the reading.

As for Hells Smells: While the 'gimmick' does create the smell of brimstone (sulphur), that is therefore also the smell of rotten eggs, with a stark similarity to the smell of flatulence. The end effect might be anything but spooky.

Steve
Yeah, but what a fun. At my opinion Shiels books are a must read, like Punx'.
They are imagination teasers and that's far more important than a encyclopedia of tricks.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jan 11, 2005 04:00PM)
Quite right. Inspiring they are. They do get the imagination going, even if you use none of the actual effects.

Steve
Shiels not practical? What? Haven't you ever raised a monster?

I have an idea actually. I want to get the press out to cover me raising a lake monster somewhere. Then after half an hour or so of chanting and calling up the lake monster. . .have Bigfoot appear on the opposite (wooded) shore. . .yell out "What the hell do you want?!?!", flip me off, and storm back into the woods. I then look into the camera, shrug my shoulders, and say, "I got the accent on the wrong syllable of Shoggoth, I guess."

What do you think? Brilliant isn't it? Okay, too much cold medicine. . .

Mark
Actually, I love it Mark...

What prescription are you taking?

;-)
Prescription, heck, it's Nyquil.

Mark
So while we are talking about Doc Shiels, let me say that my favorites among his books are The Cantrip Codex and The Shiels Effect. I feel like Doc Shiels is the fellow who got me started on raising a monster in my own way. If it weren't for these books, I would have never exhibited the Feejee Mermaid. He writes about exhibiting a Jenny Hanniver in one of his books.

As for The Shiels Effect, that is a piece of work that really enlarges the imagination. Here you are working on your sleight of hand moves, and suddenly you can read about taking over the world.

Yours,

Paul
Yes, the Shiels Effect is one of my favorite books of all time, magical or non.

Mark
I've had these and the Cameron books for a long time. Lest you suspect that these are all pipe dreams, you should perhaps contact Karl Bartoni, who knew Cameron and knows Tony Shiels. Tony very likely did each of the bits in D,D & D at one time or another. The chief difference between these things and the ideas in the Punx books is that the Shiels items are basically outlines and methods, while the Punx books give complete routines with stories.

When you see these books come up on eBay always check to see if they are still available from the other outlets.
Ihave ordered 4 Cameron books and the Shiels books from "magic books by post". The ideas in these books are good in my eyes (but who am I to judge this...).

Magixx
I have all the Cameron books and Shiels books with the painful exception of The Shiels Effect. They are great filled with wild story ideas surrounding basically simple magic. And Shiels is a study in character himself. The Magic CD interview with him is delightful.
Paul: Which book does he talk about the Mer?? Would love to read that (especially if it got you excited!)

btw: My book(let) "The Last Museum" is in it's final re-edit so I can put it on line FREE to read for Café folk. I had sold it for many years and it got a LOT of folks excited enough to want to display them thar 'critters'. Will let you know when it's up here.

Meanwhile I can't wait to read (or hear) what Shiels had to say!

Doug
Doug,

I'll look it up and post. It's a Jenny Hanniver in the narrow sense, a "Sea Devil," not a Feejee Mermaid.

See how the mere mention of his name has us going? Now we are talking about monster taxonomy.

Yours,

Paul
Basically it is a jarred, in liquid, specimen carved from a real fish. I don't remember what book it is either. If the Doc doesn't come up with it, I'll find it. But yeah, I agree about Shiels. Who else would have you produce proof of capturing a small demon?
Actually (not to contradict you but) a Jenny Hanniver is a term used in very early
England (and Euro environs) for a 'feegee' mermaid...LONG before they were called feegee's or popularised by PT barnum.) This is a VERY old enterprise....the little monkey/fish 'monsters' were usually brought from the area of the Japan Sea and were gaffed there a whole lot of years (17th century) before PT decided to make one a star.

Sea Devils or mutated Guitar Fish may also have been called Jenny Hanivers as well but these usually rather smelly exhibits in that case were being masqueraded as desicated Mers.

Doug
@Clifford the Red

Maybe you mean "Pickled "Thing" in the book "Something Strange"?

Magixx
Yeah I think that's the one :)
I have been studying Doc for a time now and the above book at this time I don't have. I can tell you this though. I have found most of Doc's books VERY useful with little pipe dreaming. Most of the magick in his pages are simplistic in effect yet yield maximum strenth. In my opinion Bizarre magick suffered a terrible loss when Tony left magick. Its kinda of strange as it seemed in all his books he was looking forward to seeing the NEW kids on the block. I have attempted to find Tony several times, getting tips here and there. I was hoping to get a lecture together with some of his effects as well as some of his effects expanded. Without permission this will not be happening. It's very frustaighting because a lot of his works were done by Tony Andruzzi which means I can not get permission from the editor without a ouija board! If you are serious student of the art of bizarre magick,find his teachings!

Magickman
Calexa nailed it, it's "Pickled Thing" in Something Strange. Doc Shiels doesn't use the term Jenny Hanniver, but I have seen this term applied in the narrow sense to this one item. I don't seek to dispute Doug on matters of teratology, and a Google search on "Jenny Haniver" (just one N) turns up Feejee Mermaids, so Doug is of course correct. If you poke around you will see that it appears to be a generic term for an assemblage of assorted parts, although of course Doug and certain other suppliers that we might name only deal with the genuine article.

Speaking to the text in question, "Something Strange" was published by the Supreme Magic Company of Devon, England. My copy is stamped by Lee Jacobs, as was their custom, and still bears the penciled price of $9. I am sure that I got it mail order.

Sweet nightmares!

Yours,

Paul
I bought this book for 5 pounds by "Magic Books by post". that's about 9,5 $. Now let´s talk about inflation....;-)

Magixx
Wait. Did you say it tells you how to show your astral body floating above your physical body? If so then I need this book.
All books of Tony Doc Shiels are a must ! Especially The Cantrip Codex. I would advise also "Monstrum, a wizard's tale". it's not a book of tricks, but... What a book !! Inside this book, some nice pictures of Max Maven, Tony Andruzzi, David Hoy and many more...
Interesting to see this thread resurfacing after all this time. Most of these booklets were written back in a time when terse writing was the rule and patter was left to the judgment of the potential performer. Now, I think we may be spoiled to a certain degree. More and more books are coming out that have complete patter. This gives the possibility of a certain "sameness" to performers who are unable to come up with their own material.

We should all remember that no matter how wonderful a story is, we need to adapt it to our own performances.
That´s true Bill. And the Shiels books give you very interesting ideas without great patter.

Magixx
I believe there was an effect in "13" that involved the production of a small grotesque sea monster- it may have been called "Jack in the Box", but I'm not positive since I don't have the book in front of me.

Creepy idea in any event, and one likely to inspire genuine horror.
[quote]
On 2006-07-09 14:28, kamus wrote:
I believe there was an effect in "13" that involved the production of a small grotesque sea monster- it may have been called "Jack in the Box", but I'm not positive since I don't have the book in front of me.
[/quote]

Hi kamus

I`m interested in this effect. I looked through "13" and " Something Strange" today but couldn't find the effect you mentioned (Jack in the Box?).
In "Demons, Darklings , Doppelgaegers" there is an effect created by Leslie May called "From Deep Down".
Is this the one you are talking about?

Thanks for any help
I recently bought this booklet, and I'm enjoyining it. It's a pleasant reading, apart from performing or not the effects Shiels describes. What makes it so pleasant is the genuine enthusiasm he's showing, the desire of entertain others having fun himself. He must be a nice person.
I have a little question btw. Presenting the first effect, [i]Night of the Demon[/i], he does mention of a "drummer's siren". I couldn't find out what's this object...in that context I'd think of a whistle, but I'm not sure.
Argh! Another book to add to the ever-increasing list of "Things-That-Must-Be-Bought"!
You are all going to bankrupt me ;)
But please keep the suggestions coming :)
I'm considering this book because I'm looking for a practical method to visualize "ghostly figures" to the audience and so far andrew mayne's Ghost Vision is the only one I came across. Can someone give more details about what the demons & ghosts look like in this book? (i.e. a prop, a sillohette behind a cloth, an indistguishable red ball of light, other?
I'm looking for something that looks like a human.
[quote]
On 2005-01-21 14:52, Doug Higley wrote:
Paul: Which book does he talk about the Mer?? Would love to read that (especially if it got you excited!)

btw: My book(let) "The Last Museum" is in it's final re-edit so I can put it on line FREE to read for Café folk. I had sold it for many years and it got a LOT of folks excited enough to want to display them thar 'critters'. Will let you know when it's up here.

Meanwhile I can't wait to read (or hear) what Shiels had to say!

Doug
[/quote]

Doug, did you ever release The Last Museum?
Is there anyone willing to sell this book?
[quote]
On 2013-10-02 19:11, link8822 wrote:
I'm considering this book because I'm looking for a practical method to visualize "ghostly figures" to the audience and so far andrew mayne's Ghost Vision is the only one I came across. Can someone give more details about what the demons & ghosts look like in this book? (i.e. a prop, a sillohette behind a cloth, an indistguishable red ball of light, other?
I'm looking for something that looks like a human.
[/quote]
There are some routines involving ghostly figures appearing and disappearing in the darkness ( and one in daylight too )...methods are very simple - without entering into details : pictures, a stooge, an optical illusion - but, as usual, effects are almost entirely based on how much one is able to influence his audience.