(Close Window)
Topic: Origami Bunny in Hat
I'm trying to find out how to fold a bunny in a hat origami. Not sure if can
be done with a dollar bill or not. Looked on a lot of Origami website, but know
bunnys that pop out of folded paper hats.

Any suggestions or sources?

Thank you in advance.

Felixjr
I think this is probably in the Worker's Series by Mike Close.
Personally I prefer the bunny ears origami that is also in the Worker's Series.

It is beyond good.
I believe it's in "Folding Money Fooling", by Robert E. Neale, but I could be wrong.
Tober Neale also has a video the name escapes me at the moment,
however it is excellent and he teaches the Bunny Bill. There are many Gems on the video and it highly recommended.

vinny
Try Money Menagerie, 2 dvd set, or the book, both by Sterling Dare, and found at Hocus-Pocus........
The Bunny Bill was published as a stand alone manuscript years ago, then in Bob Neale's Folding Money Fooling, and also on his video Celebration of Sides.

Take care, Ian
Ian's reply is spot on... Two words of warning: (1) Begin with a crisp new bill, and run the back of your fingernail against every crease as you go along; (2) unless you are going to tell a LOOOONG story as you fold it, this is best presented with a prefolded bill (ie, it's not something you can do quickly).
Find the Paul Harris manuscript on this if you can...That's all I can say!

Mike
[quote]
On 2005-01-15 09:00, cataquet wrote:
Ian's reply is spot on... Two words of warning: (1) Begin with a crisp new bill, and run the back of your fingernail against every crease as you go along; (2) unless you are going to tell a LOOOONG story as you fold it, this is best presented with a prefolded bill (ie, it's not something you can do quickly).
[/quote]

You could also do the old bit (I've seen it in a Roger Klause routine) of doing a bill switch for the pre-folded origami bill. Then you get a magical effect out of it too.

Paul
Check with Magic, Inc., in Chicago. They used to sell the manuscript for 5.00!

Best, PSC
This is the creation of Bob Neale and is described in detail in Folding Money Fooling by Richard Kaufman. We also included it in the video Celebration of Sides I produced a while back hosted by Michael Weber featuring several very clever creations by Bob. I would recommend using the video in conjunction with the text if you are able to locate it. The video footage is shot over the shoulder using a jumbo bill for clarity. It's a great piece.

Tim Trono
Paul Sherman is Correct!!!

The Bunny Bill is in
"Folding Money Fooling", by Robert E. Neale on the very last part of the book,
Thank you for all the great help.

Felixjr
Yes and it very well describe in Neale book. Also other great stuff in it.
I hope there will be a second volume :)

Nicolas
For what it's worth, I found this version a month or so ago, completely by accident. I wasn't even looking for it. Not exactly the dollar bill routine, but...

http://www.professorwonder.com/magic7.htm
Neale's Bunny Bill is much, much better.

Go to the bank and get about $50 in crisp, new bills. Start practicing. By the time you have folded about 25 of them you will begin to have it down fairly well. When you do number 50, you will almost be an expert.
You can but Robert Neale's Bunny Bill at http://www.origami-usa.org
Go to the Shopping Store and select Money Folds, cost $7.00
You can find interesting origami resouces at this web site.
Origami USA is a major link to many origami sites. The organization has a rich history and the resources are excellent. If you aspire to fold, this is a good place to start. They have several books for sale on a wide variety of origami styles.

Magic Inc. at one time had several books (Neale's Rabbit in the Hat for one) on origami. The compilation called The Flapping Bird by Randlett, Samuel is available from Magic Inc. and ABE books is one of my favorites. I also purchased Money Folding 2, Money Magic by Robert Harbin, and Caruba's book on money folding.

Robert Harbin was a prolific author on origami and my passion started with his 3 book series, Origami 1,2,& 3.

I also have a fond place in my heart for the British Origami Society. David Petty, a key member of the BOS, took the time to look at my models, when others in the USA would not, and unslefishly offered to diagram them for me in my book at no charge! Check out hiw web site: http://members.aol.com/ukpetd/.

The DVD series was Dennis Loomis' idea and with the super support given by him and Joe Oliverio it was completed.
Happy folding.
For those of you having difficulty finding a copy of the Neale book ("Folding Money Fooling")or the "Celebration of Sides" video tape, L&L just released a "Money Magic" DVD in its on-going "World's Greatest Magic" series. In that volume, is the Robert Neale presentation of the Bunny Bill (taken from the "Celebration Sides" video).

IMHO, learning this from the video is the way to go. (On this video, Robert Neale admits that learning the origami folds for this trick from his manuscript or from his book is very difficult.) The video (including the tips from Robert Neale and Michael Weber) makes this very easy to follow along and to understand.

Mike
If you are really into folding, you can look at the dollar bill "jack in the box" in Paul Harris' AOA. I'm not sure which book. It's not easy, but it is nice. After several squashed dollars (frustration index lowers with age), I folded one, then two, then 3 and finally memorized it. Happy folding.
It is a very cute trick.

I practiced and practiced and did it well during the rehearsal, but remembering all the folding and creasing during the performance, while talking, is not so easy!

Bye

Rebecca
I had my buddy make a bunny bill from a jumbo dollar.

With that and celebration of sides video, that is how I learned to make them.

If a client gives me a tip they get a bunny bill from me as a gift.

The way I flatten them out is carry them in my wallet for a while and they
are flat as can be.
I know this is an old thread but Eric Mead's book Tangled Web mentions the Bunny-Bill fold and creates a little swindle out of it. IT's a very cool idea and I can think of many places to use it. THat's all I'll say, but he references the oragami to Robert Neale's book Folding Money Fooling (1997, pg 130).

peas out

JC
Hrm trying to find a resource for just the bunny bill fold low on cash for the full 50 dollar book anyone got any resources?
Check at Magic Incorporated for the original Neale Pamphlet. The instructions are not as easy to follow as later manuscripts, but if I can figure it out, so can you! It should be fairly cheap. You might also try ABEbooks.com. Good luck.
Neale's 'Folding Money Fooling' is, indeed, available from Genii, at $35.

http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/store/html/25.html
[quote]
On 2005-01-15 18:47, Paul Chosse wrote:
Check with Magic, Inc., in Chicago. They used to sell the manuscript for 5.00!

Best, PSC
[/quote]

I just received the Bunny Bill from Magic, Inc and it's now $10. I was unable to fold my bunny on the first try.
"If you are really into folding, you can look at the dollar bill "jack in the box" in Paul Harris' AOA. I'm not sure which book. It's not easy, but it is nice. After several squashed dollars (frustration index lowers with age), I folded one, then two, then 3 and finally memorized it. Happy folding."

The Jack-in-the-Box can be found in "The Complete Origami" by Eric Kenneway. Great Book BTW - sort of an encyclopedia of origami and like arts.

The Jack-in-the-Box starts with a 1x2 rectangle - US dollar bills are slightly longer. You can simply add an extra box pleat in Jack's neck to take up the extra space. Someone once asked be to fold one from $100 bill.

Its not a beginners fold. The folding quickly goes three dimensional after you start folding the box, but it is well worth the effort. A great favorite - takes about 10-15 minutes to fold.
Mr. Neale apparently allowed his bunny bill to be printed here:

http://www.avnertheeccentric.com/bunny_bill.html

I got mine to work on the first fold!!
Robert Neal's "Butterfly" is great also.

You can keep it in your wallet.

But the best thing is, you can animate it and make
the wings move.
Daniel Garcia does this kind of routine. Very nice moment of poetry when the wings start to move and suddendly fly for a few seconds.
Neal's bunny bill is explained too in the world's greatest magic serie : Money Magic. But this is the only origami in the dvd , the rest is magic routines performed with dollar bills.
[quote]
On 2008-08-05 05:13, Judah Vee wrote:
Mr. Neale apparently allowed his bunny bill to be printed here:

http://www.avnertheeccentric.com/bunny_bill.html

I got mine to work on the first fold!!
[/quote]
That address seems to have changed to
http://www.avnertheeccentric.com/bunny_bill.php
I see this is pretty old, but I have bought the bunny bill book, and the greater magic DVD. Unfortunately when Mr Neal does the folds for the ears his hands cover the view and the book is also unclear to me. I have been practicing on large size dollars and get all the way to the ears and than I lose it. Any help out there?

Thanks
Chris
I made mine based upon the pdf in the link I gave, it is probably the same as what you have in the book.

It took me a long time, and some experimentation. I finaly got it to work, but I don't think I would be of much help.

If I remember right, the directions gave alternate ways to do certain folds (for right vs. left side). Since the end was the same, I used the same method for each side. I this is where you are, you might look for the alternate method, it may be easier for you.

John
I made one just the other day. I have it kind of flattening out at the moment.

I may have done something wrong, cause I have to practically fold the thing in half to get the rabbit to pop up.
There's a somewhat easier (but not as nice looking) version on the TA dvds
-Rob
Very old thread this, but in case anyone is interested still I'm a big fan of Jeremy Shafer. He has a You Tube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6TKw9CLxc0 where he teaches how to fold a rabbit in a hat that pops up (and even Dem's how to produce this). His book Origami Pop-Up's: to Amaze an Amuse is also worth checking out as it has a couple of neat pop-up bunnies.

Jeremy is an Origamist (is that even a word) and not a magician but his books are a treasure trove for magician's looking for novel ideas to incorporate into a set.
It will actually be a great Idea to take a black piece of paper fold it up into a hat and origami bunny slowly appears from the hat.
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S25352

https://www.avnertheeccentric.com/origami.php