The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Stacked Major Arcana (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I've found some interesting effects with Tarot cards (in Burger's Strange Ceremonies and Chelman's Carpicornian Tales). Chelman opened up what should have been obvious to me: a stacked tarot deck of the major arcana. He suggests a stack, but I'm wondering -- before I commit any stack to memory -- what kind of things I should consider.

Chelman's stack doesn't look mixed (which would make it easy to memorize). I've got the Aronson stack memorized, but with Tarot you don't stack for poker deals! I've searched past topics and they've been helpful, but I still want more information on tarot stacks. I could just shuffle and memorize a random stack, but I'd appreaciate any thoughts (here or PM) about stacks. Not just what stack you use with Tarot cards, but why.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
The "Book of Thoth" by Stephen Minch has an effect called The Justice of the Gypsies which is based on using the Major Arcana arranged in a Si Stebbins type style (& many thanks Baba for putting me onto this in the first place).

PM'ed you.
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I too use Minch's stack. It works very well.

Dave
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Paolo Cavalli's "Psychometrack" is absolutely incredible. Highly, HIGHLY recommended. It is the most convincing and powerful psychometry routine I have ever used. For me, it is the very best . . .

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
One I use all the time and is a guaranteed winner is ' QUINTASENSE ' from 'mind myth and magic', T.A Waters. this uses 25 cards and the matrix force. It gives a tarot reading prophecy and in the right hands can be quiet powerful. He credits stephen minches Fortunes of a wise fool from his book of thoth...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
You can also use a Koran stack, works pretty well.
The Bean
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Bean
This stack that I'm talking about you will be able to use live and on the radio... I did and I got a GREAT response!
it's a si stebbins stack but with tarot cards... you see each tarot card has a number 0-21 they were stacked 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,2,5,8,11,14,17,20,1,4,7,10,13,16,19... and then back around...OMG its sheer genius!!! LOL!!! Smile all I did was memorize the cards and their numbers... its really easy and fun 2 watch the great reactions that people give!!!! so ya um... feel free to ask me questions about it! got to go! buh-bye!!! Smile
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Hello everyone. Great discussion. The Stebbins stack is something I've done a lot of analysis of. I perform a tarot reading routine using a stebbins-stacked Rider-Waite Major Arcana. I haymow the deck a symbolic number of times, have the spec cut the cards and take seven. I tell her that a real psychic doesn't need to see the cards, then go on to describe the ones she holds, their symbolism and their meaning for her. It's a complete shocker. Smile
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Interesting ideas. I've got to get out my Tarot and start to Faro!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Carny Tarot is coming soon. Marked and one way. Hand aged 22 major arcana.
shameless plug #41

(if you have the witch book you know what the backs look like, except we added two more colors.)
shameless plug #42

RR
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 12:56, mrehula wrote:
I've found some interesting effects with Tarot cards (in Burger's Strange Ceremonies and Chelman's Carpicornian Tales). Chelman opened up what should have been obvious to me: a stacked tarot deck of the major arcana. He suggests a stack, but I'm wondering -- before I commit any stack to memory -- what kind of things I should consider.

Chelman's stack doesn't look mixed (which would make it easy to memorize). I've got the Aronson stack memorized, but with Tarot you don't stack for poker deals! I've searched past topics and they've been helpful, but I still want more information on tarot stacks. I could just shuffle and , memorize a random stack, but I'd appreaciate any thoughts (here or PM) about stacks. Not just what stack you use with Tarot cards, but why.

For a set routine, I'd say a stack is a great thing. Choose your favorite!

For "readings" I wouldn't bother. Culling cards, Magician's Choice, and a false shuffle/cut will serve you much better for the "on-the-fly", impromptu nature of a reading. Heck, even just a "gift of gab" can make you seem like an Enlightened Master- if that's the route you want to go...

Tarot cards are not playing cards and I think most people perceive a difference between the two. You can get away with stuff with a tarot deck that would make regular card guys form a lynch mod against you.

Exactly what did you have in mind?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
If it's the effect I'm thinking of in Capricornian-I've done the effect with my own stack. No real change just a set that I myself could remember. No one ever questioned whether they were stacked. I don't think people think of Tarot that way.

I actually start with the Chelman effect stacked on top of the Minor Arcana in Si-Stebbin's (minus the Page cards). I talk about the history of cards. Show a few faces in a spread. Again it's just a spread of colors no real patter to quickly spot.
I finish my speech with a casual false cut and then invite the member of the audience to give cards a cut as well. I do the cross-cut force.

Talk a bit more and then go to my top stack and quickly and casually hand out the smaller stacks to the five individuals. In other words I force the Chelman Stack(I hope you get what I mean if you own Capricornian.)

When done with those cards and that effect-which plays really strong by the way, I set those aside back into the nice wooden box from which they came and continue with the Minor's and do a short set of Si Stebbins effects divining peoples cards and thoughts more quickly and directly.

As part of a regular magic show you might have to worry about people crying out 'cheater' or 'you have them memormized' .

In the context of mentalism/bizarre you should be ok.

-C
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Seems to me that somewhere towards the end of Tarot routine a haunted pack effect might be really powerful.
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 17:43, Roth wrote:
Carny Tarot is coming soon. Marked and one way. Hand aged 22 major arcana.
shameless plug #41

(if you have the witch book you know what the backs look like, except we added two more colors.)
shameless plug #42

RR

Fantastic! Just what I need... let us know when we can pre-order.
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
I am sooooo glad Outlaw is releasing the Carny Tarot for all of us bizzarists and readers out there ....

Please Rick, please ... you gotta limit the releases...
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Any word on when we will see these?
What is the color of magic?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2007, The Bean wrote:
This stack that I'm talking about you will be able to use live and on the radio... I did and I got a GREAT response!
it's a si stebbins stack but with tarot cards... you see each tarot card has a number 0-21 they were stacked 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,2,5,8,11,14,17,20,1,4,7,10,13,16,19... and then back around...OMG its sheer genius!!! LOL!!! Smile all I did was memorize the cards and their numbers... its really easy and fun 2 watch the great reactions that people give!!!! so ya um... feel free to ask me questions about it! got to go! buh-bye!!! Smile

The Si Stebbins Major Arcana stack was written up in a magic periodical, The Snake-Oil Almanack. Either in 1990 or 1991.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2007, The Bean wrote:

The Si Stebbins Major Arcana stack was written up in a magic periodical, The Snake-Oil Almanack. Either in 1990 or 1991.

The Bean was only 12 when she wrote her post in 2007. She's my daughter and she actually came up with the idea after I taught her the Si-Stebbins .. Smart and gifted child. Miss her being underfoot!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Slim, it isn't the first time nor the last time the same idea has been discovered independently.
It would not be surprising that others had used the stack but never shared it.
The Bean has a brilliant mind and you know what they say... An apple does not fall far from the tree.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Slim, it isn't the first time nor the last time the same idea has been discovered independently.
It would not be surprising that others had used the stack but never shared it.
The Bean has a brilliant mind and you know what they say... An apple does not fall far from the tree.

You are correct. More than one patent has had multiple applications for the same or similar device around the same time, sometimes by only a few hours.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Stacked Major Arcana (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL