The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which peanut butter and jelly? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tenn_ray
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of tenn_ray
Hi everybody, I'm thinking about getting a peanut butter and jelly effect. I live in rural west Tennessee so a shop is not an option. I've found three different ones on the net. I was just wondering if anyone has a recommdation? Which one do you use? Thanks in advance,
Ray
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
ONLY buy one if it has Timothy Wenk's name attached to it. Couple reasons, one, he originated it and two, it's the best made of the bunch.

Steve
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I will Vouch for that!

All in favor, say eye.

Now the Nose?
Its official... The eye's are over the Nose!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I actually don't use "Peanut Butter & Jelly", and personally find it doesn't fit me at all.
I use "Ridiculous Ravioli"...
magicguy82
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicguy82
I bought mine from penguin magic online - it is called peanut jam and comes with the sift black covers --- it works very well. I used it recently and had a tremendous applause. But again, had I known I would have order the original too from Mr. Wenks
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3940 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I contacted Hank Lee about a month ago and was informed that Mr. Wenk stopped making them and/or stopped shipping them. I was informed that they have not received them from Mr. Wenk in a long time. So I purchased a similiar version from them with the same black rubber covers. The label of the peanut butter was slightly different than Mr. Wenk's (I have teh original version from Mr. Wenk but I needed a newer, less worn set). The one from Hank Lee cost the same-around $70.00. It is in all other respects the same as Mr. Wenk's version.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
Correct. PB&J by Wenk you cannot get new.
There are several spinoffs out there that will have to do.

Do your best to routine it well, come up with a surprise ending for those who have seen it a zillion times. This year, my routine ends with 2 live chicks produced as I tell them I'll have to settle for some scrambled eggs! Gets a superb reaction.
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
I actually like the version with the hard covers rather than the soft black covers. The reason I like them better is because one is blue and the other is brown (gold actually, but it looks brown enough to make the PB connection). So it is easy for even the youngest child to follow the transpostion...

Jelly = blue
Peanut Butter = brown

When the transposition happens it is very clear to everyone. When both covers are black there is the possiblity for some confusion. Wasn't the peanut butter always on that side? Maybe he just switched the jars, covers and all?

I will admit that this doesn't have to be a bad thing if you can work that into your routine it may turn out to be a benefit.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that the set I have is better than the other, but just thought I would add my dissenting opinion in the spirit of getting a complete answer.
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
Also, I remember when I had my original Wenk set the rubber would sometimes stick to the sides of the peanut butter jars. I live in a very hot and humid part of the world (Houston, TX) and I'm sure this had something to do with it, but you may need to keep the inside either powdered or treated with ArmorAll from time to time to keep the rubber slick and pliable.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Look for Timothy Wenk's PB&J. I've seen two of them listed for sale on the Café in the past couple of months. It's worth waiting for.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
If you do a search here on the Café they may still be available. Not all items listed for sale sell.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Sometimes they show up on the other auction site, which is where I found my set. Got it for 35 dollars shipped. It came without instructions, but I was able to figure it out! Smile It was a fairly un-used Timothy Wenk's set.

RevJohn
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"I actually don't use "Peanut Butter & Jelly", and personally find it doesn't fit me at all.
I use "Ridiculous Ravioli"..."

"Ridiculous Ravioli" is, in my opinion, a far more imaginative and funny effect. In England children know little of the strange American combination of Peanut Butter and Jelly. Now.........Jelly and ice-cream........that is a different story.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
dmm
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dmm
PB&J is great, the Wenk set is definately best if you can find it, but change to cardboard tubes and ditch the black covers.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I use Timothy Wenk's version in every kid's show except repeats. I suggest making two lightweight tables, one bright yellow and the other bright purple. I reveal the peanut butter first then ask the kids what do you think is on the purple table. The always say,"Jelly". I made the tables with just enough surface to uncover and place the cover on the same table. The middle is a one inch dowel. Easy transport and helps fill your stage with more color.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I agree with dmm here.

I'm not sure what version my set is (bought them from Abbots) but the plastic covers were useless. They almost always snagged and made handling a real pain. I could never move at the rate I wanted to.

I constructed and decorated a couple of simple cardboard tubes and have never looked back. Handling now is a breeze and error free.

Rob
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Rob, did you put tops on the tubes you constructed, or did you just leave both ends open ? Since I do this trick with helpers as a rule, I would be worried the kids would peer down inside the tubes to see the lids.

I LOVE the idea of the little tables MrFye ! Since my show has a Circus theme with lot sof color, I always love colorful props.

I am gonna have to make some replacement tubes as well. I did a library show today (it is in the HUMID 90's down here), and the covers decided it was a day to be sticky. Almost blew the effect. Luckily, since I combine this routine with Bigger Wands, the wands provided the needed misdirection to give me time to deal with the sticky covers.

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Hi Tom,

"Ridiculous Ravioli" is, in my opinion, a far more imaginative and funny effect. In England children know little of the strange American combination of Peanut Butter and Jelly. Now.........Jelly and ice-cream........that is a different story.

Dave Rizley does a routine with a PBJ set but instead of jelly he uses chocolate and his ending is a reeses peanut butter cup. I don't know if that would be something you could use in your neck of the woods or not. Just a thought.

Chris
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I have trouble with sticking also. I think the armor-all might work,but I'm sure I don't want to use powder. Has anybody solved the sticky problem any other way?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Mark,

I didn't put tops on the tubes, but I did make the tubes almost twice as tall as the PB.

I guess you could put some sort of top or cover on them if you wanted to thought.

The cardboard I used was like a bristol board or card stock weight. Perfect for holding its shape and easily squeezable to do the job needed. I also made them sleightly wider to avoid the problems of the lids sticking.

All the best,

Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which peanut butter and jelly? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL