The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Average shows per week » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
How many paid shows do you perform for an average week?
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
As of this date I have already done or have booked for the rest of this year, 263 gigs. This is an average of just over 5 per week. Plus my wife and I work 3 restaurants each a week.

Jeff
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have 26 shows scheduled for this month. Other months vary.

The Gr8 DonaldD.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
December is a busy month for me I have 60 shows this month which is my max I have been refusing shows for December for quite a while now. 38 of the shows are block booked for every year I just transfer them from one diary to the other
Phillip
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think I need to move closer to Phillip and take the work he turns away. hehe

I am not a full time performer and do it part time on weekends for now. But I probably average about 2 shows a week and sometimes more during the fair and festival months.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I probably average a show or two a week plus my three restaurants I work on a weekly basis. I don't have time to perform more than that, because I'm a college student.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
By dividing the total number of shows I did last year by 52, I came up with the total of 7.71 shows a week.

I've got 50 to do this month, which is 10 down on last year, but then I'm doing a lot more 2-Hour shows than 1-Hours.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I refuse 2-hour shows in December. 60 at 45 minutes is too much really. I keep upping my December rate to try and bring it down, but it does not work. I could just turn them away after 45 or so... but the lure of money!
Phillip
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I've just taken my 60th show today for December, I can't fit many more in, but I average 7 to 8 shows a week.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Billy and others,
How does this break down on a daily basis? How many of those weekly shows are crammed into the weekend, which other days are busy days, etc? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I do 0.25-0.5 shows per week.

Mikael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
For the UK guys,… question for you. Out of the amount of shows you do each year, have any of you figured out just how many are repeat performances from a previous year and then how many of them are referrals from a show you did? I am just curious as to the numbers. Thanks.

Also, can anyone in the UK elaborate more on how the kid show magician is perceived over there. Meaning are there many of you guys doing children's magic? Do you have a lot of competition or not much at all? Do parents seem to favor children's magicians for their parties as opposed to other forms of entertainment?

Thanks.
Kyle Peron

Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
I'd like to second Kyle's question.

How many of you guys are eating the same pie, and how big is the pie (I mean the market, if you pardon the lame figure of speech)?

Seven to eight shows a week for a kiddie party magician! Gee, there must be a population explosion out there in the UK---with children coming out of crevices and celebrating their birthdays every week. Smile Smile

Over here in the Philippines, children are sprouting everywhere like mushrooms. Metro Manila is a huge city of 8 to 12 million (not really sure of the figure, but some say the city is as large, if not larger than, New York City in terms of population). That's a huge market. The trouble is, every Tom, Dick and Harry named Juan who has a thumb tip is a magician. So the competition is cutthroat, and the 7 to 8 shows benchmark is unattainable even by the busiest performer in town, except perhaps in December.

So going back to the question: how many are you competing for the same market, and how big is the market you're sharing with other magicians in terms of population? Your answers can be very enlightening.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Me and Billy often see the same kids over and over. One girl last year saw me 11 times. We each give out badges to the helpers with our picture on it, and tell the kids they have to wear it to parties and if the other one of us sees them wearing it they will be given one of theirs. Billy gave out 4 badges yesterday before the show started, to kids wearing my badge. Billy and I also pass work we can't do between us.

As for the weekend-weekday split, we generally do 2-3 parties a day on a Saturday / Sunday, though we are trying to limit it to 2 a day. The rest are after school parties. There are at least another 10 entertainers in this area competing for work (we charge higher fees than all bar one), plus MacDonald’s, jungle gyms etc. But people keep coming to us because their kids want us, and they know they get a very good party. 85% of our work is repeat bookings and recommended work and 90% is within a 10 mile radius of Plymouth City center.

Our shows are different, we both have different styles, but some things are the same,
We each put as much fun into the show as possible. We're very professional, punctual and smartly dressed.
We use contracts and deposits.
Every trick has a helper, we don't do anything for the adults, or any 'skill effects' to show how clever we are.
The children do the magic during the show and get all the credit.
We only advertise in Yellow Pages and don't spend a lot of time marketing; we let our shows do it for us.
Although we are both capable of entertaining Adults, and have in the past, we chose to stick to what we enjoy the most, Kids shows, and don't try and be a jack of all trades and do Kids, close-up, cabaret and stage stuff that others seem to have to do to make a full time living.
We both find the patter that comes with tricks is often old fashioned or a tad patronizing, especially the ones that have been around for ages. Some of the new ones have patter that sounds like it's written by a granny talking to a baby, so we always develop our own patter and routines.
Although we both use some of the same old gags and silly wands, the ones just about everyone uses, Neither of us use any tricks that we know anyone else is using in this area. If we find someone is using something they've seen us use, we change it.

One thing to our advantage is neither of us had anyone to copy when we started out, we didn't have access to stuff like video's etc or the Café for help. So we developed our own styles based on what we found worked, not what people said you should do as a kid’s magician.

We spend a lot of time talking on and off the golf course about all aspects of the shows, and how to solve problems we encounter. We don't go the "it only happens rarely I'll ignore it" route. If something happens we don't like, we find a way to either stop it, or limit the chances of it happening again.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
A large portion of my bookings are repeat bookings or referrals. I too market very little anymore just an ad in YP, Free press/ radio coverage and magic fun sheet handouts at parties. I have a 70/30 split of kids to adult performances. I could market a little and just do one or the other but I enjoy the diversity of entertaining both plus the free time it gives me (obviously I can get much more cash for adult work which means I do not have to do so many shows).

Please remember that December is an exceptional month I do not and would not want to do 60 shows a month.
Whilst it is continually changing, I aim to do about 200 kids and 100 adult shows a year, so that works out at 60 for December and about 20 or so a month for the rest of the year. That’s just an average though and these are bookings not shows (I might be hired to be there all day.) If anything, I am looking to cut back not increase my workload. Unlike Emazdad, I am not a golf person though I do like to spend my spare time Scuba Diving and chasing loose women! (As Emazdad says one's with white sticks and guide dogs.)
Phillip Smile
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Like Emazdad has said, I do 2 to 3 shows every Saturday and Sunday and then I do after school shows during the week. On top of that, we get holiday camps for summer seasons, which are usually two or three shows a week for about 20 weeks in the summer.

I've just broken down the shows I have for December:

1 Hour shows = 32
2 Hour shows = 29
3 Hour shows = 3

This earns me £5925.00. This is the best job in the world!

As stated before, apart from Yellow Pages, my only advert is the quality of my show. This gets me all the repeat and follow on work.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2003-12-09 04:04, Billy Whizz wrote:

I've just broken down the shows I have for December:

1 Hour shows = 32
2 Hour shows = 29
3 Hour shows = 3

This earns me £5925.00.

So basically you earn as much in one month as all my combined income for a year. I have to move to a bigger city.

Mikael
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
That's a bit more than I earn all year round Mikael. I charge a lot more for Christmas parties. And I do a lot more in December than other months. I average between 30 and 40 a month normally.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
30-40 monthly is not bad at all. Very good average and means you are doing things the right way. Congratulations.
Kyle Peron

Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Emazdad, Billy Whizz, P. B. Jones,

Congratulations! Your marketing strategies, building routines and commitment to stay on top of the competition game are so refreshing to learn about Given the way magicians are bombarded with newfangled marketing strategies today, your soft approach to marketing (phone book, referrals, and the show as the only marketing tools of note) makes me marvel at the solid results you're getting.

I'm not sure whether you're marketing and performance strategies are orthodox or unorthodox, but this is much I notice---you seem to be breaking the rules. Whereas the marketing style in vogue today is aggressive and hype-filled, yours is laidback. Whereas the new bunch of marketing gurus are inclined to settle with just a good show, you constantly brainstorm on how to improve your programs, taking pains even to eliminate tricks that other performers perform in their shows.

I'd like to be as successful as you guys, when I grow up.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Average shows per week » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL