The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Unique Skill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
No. 92
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of No. 92
@Tommy. Yes there are.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Nice video Blackeagle!

and

Well said Silver!

Quote:
On 2010-07-28 16:24, silverking wrote:
Not that every card worker has to demonstrate the card handling skills of Jason, Andrew, or Mr.Z, but alas, every serious card worker must posses those skills, even if one conceals them from view in the guise of being a "bumbler" or amateur at the card table.

In effect, one can choose to publicly display the perfect skills of the miscreants mentioned above, or assume the wrapper of an amateur card handler

The odd thing (and worth note blackeagle) is that, if one fumbles the cards (in the guise of an amateur handler) at the wrong time, that is when an actual move is taking place......it actually highlights the move.

It would seem that one must "bumble" the cards at unimportant points in the shuffling process, and ensure that those moves which take place are perfectly concealed within the wrapping of consummate skill.
In other words, it's OK to bumble pushing the already shuffled cards back into a single pack, but not OK to leave a brief "the size of Florida" Smile just before cutting and engaging the two halves of the deck you're about to push back together (and only then bumble).

Interesting (and admittedly obvious), that either persona you choose (expert or amateur) requires that the actual moves be completed with absolute perfection.
choobysoo
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of choobysoo
Very nice stacking blackeagle, how many cards can you hold back at most consistently?

What do you guys think about practicing stacking with plastic cards? B/c I wear my deck of cards out in a couple of days Smile I wonder if I will have trouble stacking the new deck if I practicing with the old deck and other way around.
satoeri
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of satoeri
Choobysoo, one could say that there is no real reason to not practice with plastic cards, as you will find them in some games. Whether or not the practice will pay off or not, is another question.

Practicing with regular (new and old) bikes and bees is probably your best bet still, and I would say that being able to stack with new and old decks would be a handy skill.
blackeagle
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of blackeagle
Quote:
On 2010-07-30 02:38, choobysoo wrote:
Very nice stacking blackeagle, how many cards can you hold back at most consistently?

What do you guys think about practicing stacking with plastic cards? B/c I wear my deck of cards out in a couple of days Smile I wonder if I will have trouble stacking the new deck if I practicing with the old deck and other way around.

Practice with plastic. Most private games I have been to uses plastic and its a completely different feel. Its harder to do I think. Also on average I can hold back about 6 cards. Which means that will be suitable for a 7 handed game of poker.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Blackeagle,

Keep up the great work. A nice tip someone told me was to not 'place' the cards that you are stacking but to let them riffle off your thumbs.

For example... say you have to lay 5 cards on top. Don't simply let them drop, but continue the riffling action.

Take care,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
No. 92
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of No. 92
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 06:19, Clock wrote:
Blackeagle,

Keep up the great work. A nice tip someone told me was to not 'place' the cards that you are stacking but to let them riffle off your thumbs.

For example... say you have to lay 5 cards on top. Don't simply let them drop, but continue the riffling action.

Take care,

Grant

This tip is so useful I'm almost upset it's on this site.
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
No. 92, that could be said about many things on this forum, but I'm greatful for anything I can get.

Grant, thank you.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
With practice, it's not that difficult.

Regards,
Mike
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
Another good technique is to repeat the 'movement' of the sleight (not the actual sleight itself) and critique it to see if it would look unusual if someone else did that precise movement.
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
PPJacks
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of PPJacks
My very first post, so please don't be too harsh Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDOuxs8m74
I'd appreciate any critique you can give me

PS: Xaethia, you spelled his name wrong
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
PPJacks

Can you do that consistently?
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
777 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Quote:
On 2010-08-01 11:46, PPJacks wrote:

Now we're talkin' ! Good show kid.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2010-08-01 11:46, PPJacks wrote:

Nice deuce. Good job.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
No. 92
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of No. 92
Not to mention that the 6 cards you did add was done very smoothly. Good job man.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Nice catch Andrew... I watched the vid just once I didn't notice.
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
@PPJacks Fixed.
And superb by the way!
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of ASW
I watched it once, figured it was a fluke or a deuce.

Anyway, it was solid work for a demo.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Andrew,

You make a nice point, always be suspicious. Fact is I've seen people able to stack 4-1-4-1 in one riffle, smoothly and expertly. I thought, hell we've got another alien here, 6-1-6-1 in one! Next time, I'll check twice Smile.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of ASW
Very few can do those oddball stacks consistently at high speed. Freaks of nature.

I know I slow down a bit when I hold 4/6 and drop 2-1-2-1-2-1 when doing "The Sting". I know Darwin does that without even looking. Not me. And Mike Z drops in 5/1-5/1 like in this video FOR REAL. And Malek does the 4/1-4/1 at stupid crazy speeds EVERY TIME.

Still and all, I'm happy with my speeds. Smile

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Unique Skill (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL