The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » When someone , all of a sudden grabs the deck from you then reveals your secret! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
This might help with those pesky "grabby" spectators. It helps to make the ID look more normal, gets it out of play (into the box) before the routine ends and makes for an instant reset:

INVISIBLE DECK FINESSE
by Geoff Williams
(from "The Lecture Your Father Never Gave You" lecture notes)

LH = Left Hand, RH = Right Hand, etc.

If you're looking for the Don Alan routine, this ain't it. What you will find are some helpful ideas to help make your Invisible Deck (ID) routine stronger.

First of all, throw away the joker from your ID. You don't need it anymore. I'm serious.

Secondly, put the ID in the box with the ODD cards facing OUT (which should be easy for you to remember as they are both 3-letter words that begin with pretty much the same letter). Think of "out" as being the front side of the box (not directly attached to the box flap). As soon as you know the spectator's card, orient the box accordingly and remove the deck with the opposite set of cards showing.

As you are spreading the cards between your hands (for the revelation), make sure to move the spread calmly from spectator to spectator, apparently so that more folks can get a close-up of your impeccable card-spreading technique. Unbeknownst to them, you're just helping to disguise the discrepancy that, if the named card was a 10, no other 10s are showing up.

Sneaky, huh?

The revelation goes like this: You've come to the "partner" card to the chosen card and have separated them nicely. The spectators see one face-down card in an otherwise face-up deck. Break the spread at the reversed card, with it being the bottom card of the RH spread, and place the selection face-down on the table. All attention will be drawn to that card which means no one will be aware that you're putting the LH block on top of the block in your RH. You have just cut the deck.

Here's where a very nice "touch" happens. Square the deck and hold it in Biddle grip in your RH. Slowly flash your LH empty palm and the bottom of the ID in your RH (the audience will see the back of a card which subliminally sells the idea of the ID being normal) as you say "Wait a minute. Let's be sure there are no other cards reversed."

Repeat the deck-spreading business again to show all cards facing up. PUT THE DECK BACK INTO THE BOX IN THE PROPER ORIENTATION and hold the box in your LH. Ask again for the identity of the selected card. Have someone else pick up the tabled, face-down card and show it around.

After the gasps and applause have subsided, take back the card and, if it's ODD, PLACE IT INTO THE BOX IN THE VERY FRONT (facing front) or, if it's EVEN, PLACE IT IN THE VERY BACK (facing back). Put the box away. Here's the cool part - you are instantly reset!

If you've performed a correctly-structured ID routine, no one will ask to examine the deck.

By the way, if you find that certain pairs of cards in your ID are separating prematurely, you can touch them up by using either Roughing Fluid, available at most well-stocked magic shops, or by using Testor's "Dull Cote" spray. You'll find it in a squatty little aerosol can in the craft (i.e., model airplane) section of most variety and hobby stores (Wal-Mart, Michaels, etc.). Place the cards in question face down on newspaper and give them several light dustings. Good as new!

Enjoy,

Geoff
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have been getting the cheap ID decks at the store for a while. Out of the four I got, all worked great except one which failed every time.

The moral here is test every prop before putting it in front of live specs. Even if its only replacing a worn out prop. I'm glad I did!

The backs have a tree instead of a bike so I slip them into a bike box and they look ok. Never had anyone ever look close enough to notice the backs of the cards and box were different. Most of my grabby specs have been on non card items.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Breather
Don't let go of the cards! As mentioned, amaze them with a normal deck and allow them to handle it and inspect if they wish BEFORE presenting an effect with a gaffed deck. Also, if someone asks me to see my deck or card when I have some sort of set-up or gaff I shout at them to hang on till Ive finished the bloody trick. I then perform something which will eliminate a pre-arrangement; remove a gaff or switch a deck.

One other thing - if doing the Invisible Deck, use may as well do something like Elmsley's Impromtu BrainWeave which uses a normal deck. I don't have a rule when it comes to gaffs, but I do prefer to just use normal decks with perhaps a duplicate, a different coloured backer and just a couple of gaffs in my wallet.
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
Specs fall into categories, this you will learn by experience. Ladies (most often) and children fall into the grabbers category and must be watched carefully. When you will become aware of this, you are more careful when facing audiences of this type, especially during close up routines.

Experience is a good teacher. Enjoy your lessons.

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
I think that the situation here is to put the audience on the right mood before you start doing any tricks. we all make mistakes by saying look this is a perfectly suffled decks or we show the cards and say this is a regular deck of cards but this puts the audience on an analitical mood, think about it by saying this is a regular deck of cards people assumes that there is an unregular deck of card. we need to avoid using any words that would put people on that analitical mind. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » When someone , all of a sudden grabs the deck from you then reveals your secret! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL