The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Video of Howie Schwarzman (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2797 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I posted a video I shot of Howie Schwarzman at the 1987 St. Louis Jubilee. He's got the moves. Check it out.

The password is "Howie"

http://vimeo.com/118416420

Mike
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Thanks for sharing!

That was awesome!
Although is not a video of magic, I was inspired by this.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, Ricardo Delgado wrote:
Thanks for sharing!

That was awesome!
Although is not a video of magic, I was inspired by this.

It wasn't?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1453 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I met Howie at Phil Thomas' Yogi Magic Mart in Baltimore in the '70's. I was fairly new to magic at that time, and Howie was very kind to me, giving me tips on topping the deck and passes. Since I've lived in the D.C. area for most of my life, I've seen Howie a number of times over the years. I've always been in awe of his wonderful abilities with cards and coins.

This clip brought back some great memories.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Thanks for sharing
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1302 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Wow
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Very slick, surprisingly good quality clip given its age.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4219 Posts

Profile of Sixten
I also thank you, Mr. Powers, for sharing that wonderful clip! Smile
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2797 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I used to see Howie at Fechter's every year. We always hung out and laughed a lot. Howie is more than just a talented sleight of hand artist. He is (was) a pilot (has his own plane), and an excellent piano player. I'll bet he has other talents that I'm unaware of.

Mike
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1453 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Forgot about the piano playing. Some 35 years ago or so, a small group of us, including Howie and Cy keller went to a little pub in Baltimore. When Howie sat down at a piano in the bar, I was amazed at how good he was. A fact probably not known by very many: Harvey Rosenthal, a long time friend of Howie's was playing classical piano as a child. Once, when I visited his home, he played for me.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5988 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I met Mr. Schwartzman in the dealers room at a canadian convention 25 years ago. He fooled me badly. I was young. The reverence I have for him now makes me want to go back in time.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
WOW. The only exposure I have ever had with Howard Schwartzman's work was/is through print. I knew that the man was/is a genius but HOLY ****!! I once stated that Derek Dingle's pass was the greatest I have never "seen." Well, now there are two greats whose pass I have never "seen."

I miss America so very much and I envy all of you that are going to Magi-Fest, the IBM and SAM conventions, Magic Live, the Genii Convention, and many more. I wish I was home again but to get there would mean selling all of my magic. I was accepted again into a PhD program but there is no way I can pay my first year. It's definitely a catch-22.

Anyhow, sorry for the tangent into my life such as it is. Watching Howard Schwartzman's work brought a much needed smile to my face. Smile Thank you Mike for sharing!!
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
There is no T in Schwarzman!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I loved watching Howie demo at Hank Lee's convention many years ago. Would always fool the h----l out of me.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2797 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Howie never got the recognition that he so deserved. He wasn't known for creating magic but rather for performing classics perfectly. One of his favorites was coins in the hat. He also had a card repertoire of fairly unknown but, nonetheless, killer stuff. He should have been a guest of honor at Fechter's but it's probably too late for that now.

I think his memory has faded quite a bit. I should have gone to New York with my digital recorder a few years ago and just talked to him for many hours a day. I hope someone has done that and will be prepared to do a lengthy article or book on Howie at some point.

Love that guy!

Mike
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Howie is quite the character. It used to be fun watching him heckle the lecturers when they would visit Denny & Lee's. They all accepted it for what it was... good fun and it meant Howie respected you.

Howie was also the Technical Editor for Cliff Green's Professional Card Magic. His Impeccable Double and Impeccable Prediction can be found in that great book.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Quote:

It wasn't?

Some can say it is a very magical video, but he's not performing a routine or effect. In that sense, it's not a video of magic, but it's a video showing flawless technique.

Do anybody know where to find some recorded performance of Howie? I would love to watch! I now nothing about him, and I'd like to know a bit more.

Also does he have any more published effects?
Thanks Kabbalah, I'm sure going to search for Cliff Green's Professional Card Magic.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2797 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
There a video of Howie perfoming on a cruise ship. From this you'll see Howie's performing persona. It's clear that he loves performing too. I'm not sure where that video might be found? I think I have a video of Howie teaching a rubber band trick at Fechter's (4F) a few years ago. I belive it's on Vimeo with a password. I'll dig that out and post it. It won't show Howie at his best, but at least you can see him perform a trick.

Mike
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Thanks Mike!
I would really appreciate that!
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2797 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
This video is from 2012. I'm the MC of the Pat Page Memorial Workshop at Fechter's (4F). The theme was rubber band magic. Howie came up at the very end with a quickie. This doesn't do a very good job of showing Howie's performing skills, but here it is:

http://vimeo.com/41562616

Password: FFFF12

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Video of Howie Schwarzman (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL