The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and Soda tonight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
I performed Scotch and Soda tonight to kill time before the fireworks. My spectator thought for sure that he knew that I somehow "palmed" the quarter to make the switch. In his words..."nice sleight of hand."

Sometimes the simplest tricks really fool them.
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
Yep, it still plays well in my parts also.
North GA. Keep up the good work.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
It's always fun when people start making guesses like they're "in the know."
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Make sure you adjust your presentation to rule out sleights!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Read what Josh just wrote. Generally, leaving people with a plausible explanation is not good magic. If spectators think that they know the secret, the magic is ruined, whether or not they're right.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 02:51, afillius wrote:
I performed Scotch and Soda tonight to kill time before the fireworks. My spectator thought for sure that he knew that I somehow "palmed" the quarter to make the switch. In his words..."nice slight of hand"

Sometimes the simplest tricks really fool them.

What type of effect did you use? I like to place the centavo and half dollar inside a folded dollar bill. Then I fold the dollar bill in thirds and give it to the spectator to hold. I show him my open hands and tell him I will make the centavo disappear inside the dollar bill.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Here's a different way of using the prop, and nobody could reasonably conclude that it was achieved by sleight of hand. By the way, it's not my idea, and I don't recally who originated it given that it was shown to me close to 30 years ago, but lots of magicians I know have never heard of it:

1. Use some w-x to secretly stick a 20 Centavo coin to the bottom of a THIN metal ashtray (the kind they used to have in McDonald's eons ago) before you begin your performance.

2. Introduce the ashtray and place it on top of a clear drinking glass, mouth side up.

3. Introduce a Scotch and Soda coin set and place (nest) the two coins inside of a piece of flash paper which you crumple up around the coins.

4. Place the crumpled bundle in the middle of the ashtray. Clearly show your hands empty.

5. Light the flash paper.

The flash paper will ignite and disappear, revealing only the half dollar in the ashtray, and believe it or not, the heat from the flash paper itself will simultaneously soften the w-x on the bottom of the ashtray enough so the 20 Centavo falls into the glass. It's a hands-off penetration of a coin that's unbelievably visible and magical!

Larry
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Larry,
Thanks for the routine, I really like that idea.

I did the typical put the 1/2 dollar and centavo in his hand, he puts his hands behind his back and gives me the coin I ask for. I have been thinking about coming up with a new routine, because although good I think the effect could be better if done differently.

I may have to get some flash paper and see what other objects will work other that a thin ashtray (I live in Los Angeles and not many places have ashtrays).

Posted: Jul 6, 2006 3:10pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question about S&S. When I went to get the coins from my pockets the 1/2 dollar and the centavo already 'did the magic' in my pocket. Luckily I was able to reset without the spectator knowing. Does this happen to any of you?
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 21:51, Larry Davidson wrote:
Here's a different way of using the prop, and nobody could reasonably conclude that it was achieved by sleight of hand. By the way, it's not my idea, and I don't recally who originated it given that it was shown to me close to 30 years ago, but lots of magicians I know have never heard of it:

1. Use some w-x to secretly stick a 20 Centavo coin to the bottom of a THIN metal ashtray (the kind they used to have in McDonald's eons ago) before you begin your performance.

2. Introduce the ashtray and place it on top of a clear drinking glass, mouth side up.

3. Introduce a Scotch and Soda coin set and place (nest) the two coins inside of a piece of flash paper which you crumple up around the coins.

4. Place the crumpled bundle in the middle of the ashtray. Clearly show your hands empty.

5. Light the flash paper.

The flash paper will ignite and disappear, revealing only the half dollar in the ashtray, and believe it or not, the heat from the flash paper itself will simultaneously soften the w-x on the bottom of the ashtray enough so the 20 Centavo falls into the glass. It's a hands-off penetration of a coin that's unbelievably visible and magical!

Larry

That is a powerful effect. I'd never seen or heard of it before, thanks Larry! Smile With smoking being banned almost everywhere now though, it would be nice to find something other than an ashtray to do this with. I just tried a business card, but didn't have much luck as it has a low level of heat conductivity. Whatever it's going to be it has to be thin and be highly conductible like the metal ashtray. Maybe this is a challenge for the Café's Triple Dare section.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Afillius, yes, mine have nested in my pocket. Now I carry them in a small coin purse wth a thin piece of cardboard in between both coins.

CasualSoul, since there aren't many ash trays around anymore, I wonder if the effect would be just as good if you placed the centavo under a coffee mug (or whatever you wanted to use) and used the same routine with the flash paper. After the flash paper burns inside the mug and the centavo is missing, you have the spectator lift up the mug to show the centavo.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Tbaer, that's not a bad approach but I can't imagine it being as effective. The power of the approach that I shared is that the coin visibly and audibly appears in the clear glass without the magician touching it.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1546 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I bought a Dime&Penny booklet from Trickshop.com, that has several routines that could be use as well with scotch and soda, take a look, maybe it will help you.

Pablo
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
Larry, how much w-x do you use to ensure it's sure fire?
Has the coin below the ashtray failed to drop before?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

I haven't performed the effect in a very long time, but I recall using a very small amount and it worked well for me. You need to experiment, though, to determine the right amount to use because not all w*x is the same and not all ashtrays are the same either.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I've seen the effect described using a fine china saucer. I know fine china is about as rare as ashtrays, but I thought I'd put that out there.

And maybe regular paper (napkin) with a little lighter fluid, would produce more heat. This may allow a thicker plate.

As far as afillius' performance: Try casualy showing your hands empty, imediately after placing the coins in their hand. Maybe as you say "Hold on tight (clench fists) so there is no way for me to sneak them out (open hands like starfish)". This would emphsise the fact that you don't have the copper coin.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-07-07 12:36, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
"...Try casualy showing your hands empty, imediately after placing the coins in their hand. Maybe as you say 'Hold on tight (clench fists) so there is no way for me to sneak them out (open hands like starfish)'. This would emphsise the fact that you don't have the copper coin.

Good suggestion.
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Excellent idea
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 21:39, Larry Davidson wrote:
Read what Josh just wrote. Generally, leaving people with a plausible explanation is not good magic. If spectators think that they know the secret, the magic is ruined, whether or not they're right.

I couldn't agree more.
Jess Cone
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jess Cone
I've been using a Dollar size set of S&S for some time. Here's something I came up with and has gotten an excellent response from friend's I've shared it with. Place a Chinese coin in the [ side and display the Centavo and Silver coin. Comment on the three obvious visual differences in the coins ie.foriegn vs. American, Copper vs. Silver & size. In the act of showing the size diferences pass the Centavo behind the Silver coin and allow the Chinese coin to slip out so that the coin S&S set can nest. Place both coins in sp.'s hands,(the Chinese coin hidden behind the Silver coin) show the hands empty and then take the Silver coin from their closed fist telling them removing a coin physically from their hand is easy, but that you'll go one better and remove the Centavo without their knowing it. It's all build up now. Wave the Silver coin over their hand and ask if they felt it leave? Of Course they will deny it. Try again. Nothing. Have them open their hand to discover the Centavo is indeed gone and the chinese coin has now appeared. Remove the R**l Centavo from you pocket to end. Jess Cone, Salt Lake City,UT.
gfcal
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of gfcal
There's an interesting coin rub effect with aluminum foil in Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment series (Book 3). You could do that effect followed by a variation of Larry's handling of S&S with the aluminum foil over a glass. Since there's already a coin recess from the previous effect, this might work very well.

Cal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and Soda tonight (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL