The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Resigned to Miracles (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi all,

Together with premier writer and publisher Stephen Minch, I have written
Resigned to Miracles. It's published and released by Hermetic Press, and
is available at Penguin Magic:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13888

My best wishes,
Peter Gröning
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Sounds like this could open up many possibilities! Looking forward to seeing the reviews as they come in.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I ordered
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Also appears it may have many mentalism applications.
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi H2Odesign,

Yes it can, as long as you're fine with using playing cards. You can take it pretty much in any direction you'd like.
(It can be performed with business cards, which might be more appealing to some than playing cards.)

Since I've kept this for myself for many years, I've been the only one coming up with applications. Releasing it, I'm really curious what kind of material others will come up with utilizing this principle that I haven't thought of. I really look forward to this, whatever it will be.

My best wishes,
Peter
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
Sounds fantastic! Really looking forward to some reviews.
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi,
Regarding using business cards; it is preferable to use double blanks, rather than printed ones, but it's quite feasible to use both. The handling will differ slightly, that's all (Once the general principal is understood, every performer can change the handling to fit his or her needs accordingly, depending on the actual routine.)

Also, to simplify the actions, it's better if the business cards aren't too rough. Double blank playing cards are perfect.

Resigned to Miracles introduces a method to secretly obtain genuine signatures from one or two spectators on the backs of playing cards. The book contains the original concept and a couple of variations. That's the important part of the book, since it provides the reader with a practical tool to perform impactful magic.
It also contains routines only made possible by this concept. I sincerely believe these applications to be very strong and magical pieces - I wouldn't have included them otherwise - but their main purpose is to inspire others to create routines of their own. As I've stated in my posting above, there's a lot more to explore with this concept. (That said, I'm pretty sure that those who decides to simply stick with my routines, won't be disappointed.)
In addition, there's a bonus section with some routines where signatures plays a major part, without depending on the core concept.

I'm quite sure there will be those who will approve of the material and use it a lot, while others will discard it. In the end, what it comes down to are personal preferences. (My say in the matter is obviously very biased.)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to express my sincere gratitude to Mr. Stephen Minch and Hermetic Press for believing in me and my work, and for doing such a brilliant job transforming my thoughts and ideas into readable text and illustrations, which resulted in a beautiful little book. Stephen is a true gentleman and a first rate artist, and I can't thank him enough. He also persuaded Penguin Magic to publish a totally unknown dude from Sweden, which in itself is a great achievement.

My best wishes,
Peter
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
I'm very jazzed to see that the book finally is out!

Peter clued me into the concept over 20 years ago, and I have coveted it since.
The more Peter have moved away from close-up and towards mentalism; the more I have nagged him to publish it.
At one point, he had enough applications and routines for the concept to fill a rather big book...and then his harddrive died, with no backups. So I'm happy to see that he found the energy and time to write it down again.

While the main concept in itself is exciting, what makes it stand out are the routines. There have been other clever ways to create signed duplicates, but in most cases the suggested applications (if any) have been one-dimensional crude routines that almost points back at methods used. This is different. The routines here are cleverly constructed and layered.
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:

Resigned to Miracles introduces a method to secretly obtain genuine signatures from one or two spectators on the backs of playing cards.

Hi Peter!

Sounds fantastic. I have one question. Is it definitely "backs only" or is it also possible to get the duplicate signatures on the faces of cards?

Any chance you have a video of a routine online somewhere to have a clearer picture? Of course without giving anything away.

Thanks, Andy
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Is this strictly for stage, or could it be used for close-up work some how?
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
@Andy: It's backs only, but like I wrote above, It's very doable with for instance double blank cards, which of course removes the face/back issue altogether. Speaking of signed backs, there's a routine in the book where a signed back instantly changes color, which looks pretty nice.
There are no videos available on this, since that would be a dead give away.

@Paul: Thanks for bringing this up. I've used it in close-up or parlour settings, but initially I created it for stage work. My idea was to obtain the signatures during an early set at the tables, and then utilize them later in a stege set.

I hope the above is helpful, but if not, please ask me again. Smile
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
So this eliminates the use of currency.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
This reads like a very interesting concept. Like others here, I'd love to read some reviews from those who have purchased the book and have tried the routines.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Any review from a non Swede?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Not yet, only just got pre-shipment tracking today. Probably all shipping out tomorrow Smile
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Are Swedish opinions not valid now? Smile

//Dan
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
How about people with Swedish heritage? Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2020, dyoung wrote:

//Dan

Only when the release is by a Swede. Ok?
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
So you, and every other Englander, are not entitled to an opinion on anything released by an English magician then?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2075 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2020, dyoung wrote:

//Dan

Only when the release is by a Swede. Ok?

Congrats - I don't think it's possible I'll see a more cretinous post on here this year. Well...it's not that safe a bet whilst you're still posting, mind you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Resigned to Miracles (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL