The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Birthday book for calendar trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
If you are interested in any of the birthday effects, where someone names their birthday (or other favorite date) and picks a card, and a diary is found to have the selected card at that date [there are several methods you can purchase, including by Michael Close, Pat Page], I thought I would post a way to make a back up diary with each date having a card index. I do recommend you purchase the method from the creator of the effect, which will usually give you at least working prop (although I highly recommend Michael Close 's Workers series, which gives the method without the prop - in which case, here is how you can make the prop).

To make your own birthday book with card values for each date, without going into methods, you can take a spiral bound diary - I used "At-A-Glance" miniature diary for 2008 (which of course includes February 29th) number 70-035. About $10 or so, from OfficeMax.

Then get Avery clear labels, 80 to a page (4 columns of 20 each)(product #8667 for inkjet printers - 25 sheets per package, around $20 from OfficeMax). Download the template for entering addresses into Microsoft Word, from Avery.com.

Then using Word, with Arial font 12 point, type the appropriate cards - value + suit, going in a columnar fashion. For the suit, insert a special character from the insert drop down menu. Highlight each entry for a card in hearts or diamonds, and change the font color to red.

Carefully attach each label to the appropriate date. I won't go into any further detail, as it could tip the methodology. You would need a spiral bound type of diary, rather than hard or soft cover, simply because there is a small amount of thickness to each of the labels, that adds up. You can rebend the front and back covers of the At-A-Glance diary mentioned, to accomodate the thickness, and fold flat after putting a weight on it for a few hours.

This gives you a nice birthday book for any of the methods discussed in other threads. You will have enough labels for several other birthday books, or for that matter other effects where you might want to attach a card index to some item (clearly NOT cards - splitting would be preferable, of course).
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2209 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
That sounds nice but from what I have tried Cards don't work for kids...Usually they don't know suits so that makes it difficult
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Adults have birthdays too, you know. They often go to restaurants to celebrate. This would be good for table hoppers, right after the wait staff does the Happy Birthday Bounce thing.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2209 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I stand corrected..Sorry... I thought I was in the little darlings section when I posted that..yes it would be great for adults and teens too
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Fantastic suggestion. Thanks Michael!

Mark.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Michael,

This method for making a nice looking birthday book sounds reasonable, but it didn't work very well for me. After placing labels in the same place on both sides of each page, the book became noticeably thicker. The thickness of the label doesn't seem like much, but it really adds up when you place the labels on all of the pages of the miniature diary. In my experiment, in which the date book was a bound volume, the book looked bloated; it couldn't be closed after I had labeled all of the pages.

I'd recommend sticking to Michael Close's method for making the book, found in Workers 5.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Birthday book for calendar trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL