The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Fence Effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
Fence Effect – a tale of mentalism, magic and more, sorta.

Our neighbor Aaron had a few friends over for Christmas tree decorating party – hand made decorations, paper chains, popcorn strings and such. Lots of time for chat during the activities, with no direction or hurry involved. During a quiet time he offered, “I’m thinking on adding a fence on that field south of the barn.”

Guest 1 said, “Go with chain link. Those wood posts all rot away eventually.”

Guest 2 disagreed, “a goat can get a foot caught in one and make an awful mess.”

Guest 3 suggested, “You have to decide if you are going to build it yourself or have a professional do it. That and how much money to spend will dictate what fence to go for.”

Aaron chimed in, “I figure to run from the corner over there to the woods, over to the driveway for a gate and back up to the other corner to enclose about a quarter acre.”

Guest 4 jumped in, “that means it can be seen from the road. You want to impress the neighbors more than anything. Than new white vinyl looks great.”

“Nothing more impressive than a simple three-rail wood fence,“ presses Guest 2.

Guest 1 tries a new tack, “It’s one of those trick how many rolls of wire and how many posts problems like back in 5th grade. Let the professionals figure it out or ask old Jake.” Guest 3 pats him on the back. Guest 2 has been looking pensive and serious.

“Maybe we should find out what Aaron wants the fence for. Are you trying to keep something in or keep something out?”

“Could be either or both over time,” says our host. “Nuthin’ in those woods except raccoons and turkeys. Ellie thinks goats stink too much and a cow means me getting up early to milk it.”

We four were off again with varied opinions on the pros and cons of animal husbandry. Finally we agreed that the type of fence built could limit the choices of animals and the other way around. Guest 4 spoke up. “An hour of arguing and we haven’t helped Aaron a bit. We just don’t know enough to give any good advice.”

Ellie came in then, “Pie and homemade ice cream in a bit guys.” Then a glance at Aaron, “Did you tell them why you planned on building that silly fence?”

“Nobody asked,“ he replied. We all looked sheepish and went back to making paper chains.

Finally, I had the courage to ask, “OK, why do you need a fence?”

“Never said I needed one,” he chuckled. “But I have a couple of good reasons for wanting one, and neither has anything to do with animals or materials or cost or how fine it looks.”

More silence. A couple of guys started to say something and thought the better of it. We had been set up, led down the garden path and then allowed to fall into a hole. Actually, we had dug that hole ourselves. The pie was hot and ice cream cold and grand. The tree looked better than we deserved. Somehow it always did. Over coffee Aaron fessed up.

“I’ve a nephew coming out this spring for a couple of months. Have to keep him busy and out of trouble. Since I have a bunch of cedar posts gathered out back I figure it will be a good thing for him. Next year maybe I can pay him to take it back down.”

We all nodded as to how that made sense. More sense that raising goats anyways. Aaron continued, “The reason for doing it soon is that we plan on having this place refinanced next year. A fenced area that size qualifies us as a farm and a lower interest rate from the bank. Any old fence is going to cost much of nothing and save me about $12,000 over the next fifteen years.”

I’m not going to tell you which of the guests I was. I’m not even sure why this story should be of interest to Magicians and Mentalists. Just feel it should.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
[quote]On Dec 21, 2014, funsway wrote:
Fence Effect – a tale of mentalism, magic and more, sorta.

"More silence. A couple of guys started to say something and thought the better of it. We had been set up, led down the garden path and then allowed to fall into a hole. Actually, we had dug that hole ourselves. The pie was hot and ice cream cold and grand. The tree looked better than we deserved. Somehow it always did."

Well, however it applies, I like the Hemingway feel of that paragraph.

Thanks,
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Fence Effect (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL