The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
There's that word "organic" again!

Isn't "organic natural" an oxymoron?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You are as usual quite right oh wise one.

Let's just say then in the most layman manner that switchblade is the epitome of KISS.

Keep it simple s****d 😙
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree, Grasshopper. Smile

But, actually, I was wrong. It's not an oxymoron. It's redundant. "Artificial organic" would have been an oxymoron.

It's just that the term "organic" drives me nuts. It seems to appear in almost every ad lately and is right up there with phrases like, "The closest thing to real mind reading," etc.

It also seems to have widely different meanings depending on who's using it.

Now if you mean that Docc's idea contains no artificial additives and that no chemicals were used in growing the trees from which the billet paper was made...
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I think that this may look better than T-REX.....



Ray
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Had more rehearsal time, I've got my own particular handlings going on...

from taking their "letter" and popping it inside a frosted bowl, to a 3 person psychometry/Q&A hybrid...

i actually don't do it the way docc teaches it anymore, got my own way of using it now...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 13, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:
I think that this may look better than T-REX.....



Ray


No comparison, actually. Docc's is an excellent peek. T-REX is an excellent instant access tear.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:
I think that this may look better than T-REX.....



Ray


No comparison, actually. Docc's is an excellent peek. T-REX is an excellent instant access tear.


That's what I was thinking. I like Dr Bills CT a lot too.

The beauty is one could mix it up at a psychic type party and vary the p**k methods entirely.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2394 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Bob ... I concur with your dislike of the current vogue for "organic". I think people are trying (and failing) to find a more intellectual-sounding word for "unexceptional".

Brett ... I can't concur with your expressed view that "The beauty is one could mix it up at a psychic type party and vary the p**k methods entirely." I think it stretches the notion of "unexceptional" to fold billets in two completely different ways (one of which is certainly exceptional), and then proceed to make use of them in equally different fashions. I'm not saying that a premise couldn't be devised to explain it all away, but I prefer not to create moments that require such explanation.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:
Bob ... I concur with your dislike of the current vogue for "organic". I think people are trying (and failing) to find a more intellectual-sounding word for "unexceptional".

Brett ... I can't concur with your expressed view that "The beauty is one could mix it up at a psychic type party and vary the p**k methods entirely." I think it stretches the notion of "unexceptional" to fold billets in two completely different ways (one of which is certainly exceptional), and then proceed to make use of them in equally different fashions. I'm not saying that a premise couldn't be devised to explain it all away, but I prefer not to create moments that require such explanation.


What I was trying to convey Doug was that at a party where one is strolling around, it might be nice to vary methods with different people that you encounter.

The word "organic" is over-used without a doubt - mostly in the sphere of food (although the words "gluten free" are now giving organic a big ru nfor the money).

We could subsititue with the words natural, ordinary, invisible or unexceptional.

Having multiple ways to peek is probably a good thing for any performer - maybe we can agree on that Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2394 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
What I was trying to convey Doug was that at a party where one is strolling around, it might be nice to vary methods with different people that you encounter.

I still disagree, though. Smile Smile

Either you are in an environment where (some of) the same people will see you doing billet work in markedly different ways (in which case my earlier argument applies), or one where each performance is guaranteed to be for fresh faces only (in which case it would be better to use the method at which one is best). My own performing experience tends more to trade shows than parties, but it has always been a given that those who like your work will be back, watching it again.

This is not a huge disagreement on my part; it's just a reiteration of my philosophy that the road to excellence is paved with attention to the small details that others are too quick to dismiss.


Quote:
The word "organic" is over-used without a doubt ...

Certainly, though my objection is more to its being used incorrectly, rather than inordinately.


Quote:
Having multiple ways to peek is probably a good thing for any performer - maybe we can agree on that Smile

I certainly agree that it behooves practitioners to have as many weapons in their arsenals as possible, mostly in order to exploit unusual situations in real time. But I also believe that it makes more sense to strive for perfection in a limited number of skills than attempt to become a "jack of all trades".

In this case, I think it's ideal to focus on one billet peek that is done in conjunction with a tear, and one that is done with the billet intact. I personally use R2-D2 for the former, and Obsidian Oblique for the latter. Similarly, I focus on only two billet switches, one done under the cover of opening a billet (a slight variation of Teller's switch), and one done during a transfer only (I actually use two here: Cass's microphone switch if I have something appropriate in my hand, and the tilt move if I don't).

Most importantly, I think that one's choice of tools should be made using considered, detailed, objective analysis, rather than by leaping on the promotional bandwagon of the moment.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:

But I also believe that it makes more sense to strive for perfection in a limited number of skills than attempt to become a "jack of all trades".



Couldn't agree more...
'Curiouser and curiouser."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks for you wisdom Doug -

I personally use the Dr's CT mostly even though I know T rex well and I like it too - but I prefer to stay with and practice one.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

But, actually, I was wrong. It's not an oxymoron. It's redundant. "Artificial organic" would have been an oxymoron.



It's a tautology ;-)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:
Most importantly, I think that one's choice of tools should be made using considered, detailed, objective analysis, rather than by leaping on the promotional bandwagon of the moment.


objective: (of a person or their judgement) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts

i do think your parameters are somewhat biased, when comparing your own R2D2 (which is good) to others...

back to switchblade though - I think because its all about how it looks, the presentation does need to address it in some way, but there are lots of advantages in that too (like the love letters idea) it fits together in a dr jaks kinda way of using interesting, small objects... whereas whatever CT or BS (giggles) you use, has to be mundane and ordinary looking...
I've asked to be banned
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2394 Posts

Profile of ddyment
IAIN opined:
Quote:
i do think your parameters are somewhat biased, when comparing your own R2D2 (which is good) to others...

I discuss this issue at some length on the page in question, and explain remedies for those concerned.

The choice of parameters can certainly be biased (the ones I list are those that I personally consider important), but that evades the central issue, which is that all twenty of the parameters themselves are objective (i.e., can be evaluated dispassionately and accurately, in a fashion "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts").

This is the whole point of using objective criteria to evaluate things, rather than marketing muddle and unquantifiable claims (which are often designed not so much to deceive us directly, but to encourage us to fool ourselves).
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2355 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:
IAIN opined:
Quote:
i do think your parameters are somewhat biased, when comparing your own R2D2 (which is good) to others...

I discuss this issue at some length on the page in question, and explain remedies for those concerned.

The choice of parameters can certainly be biased (the ones I list are those that I personally consider important), but that evades the central issue, which is that all twenty of the parameters themselves are objective (i.e., can be evaluated dispassionately and accurately, in a fashion "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts").

This is the whole point of using objective criteria to evaluate things, rather than marketing muddle and unquantifiable claims (which are often designed not so much to deceive us directly, but to encourage us to fool ourselves).


I actually appreciate and see value in your list of CT parameters. But I disagree completely with your assertion that, 'The choice of parameters can certainly be biased (the ones I list are those that I personally consider important), but that evades the central issue, which is that all twenty of the parameters themselves are objective (i.e., can be evaluated dispassionately and accurately, in a fashion "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts").'

The central issue is not that the parameters are objective. The central issue is what specific parameters or criteria are important to a specific person in a specific context. What I see missing from your argument is the reality that most people make decisions based on emotion. We buy what we want. We buy what meets our specific (and often unconscious) criteria in a specific context. Yes, your list of parameters are very rational, logical and objective. No argument there. But no, they did not convince me to buy R2D2 or any other product. I bought, and use today, Ran Pink's T-Rex because of what I saw on the demo video and reviews I read on-line.

You can tell me my decision was not rational, and I did not evaluate my own CT needs and all available options using objective criteria. And you would be right! But that misses the point entirely. I saw something I wanted. I had a gut feeling, an intuition, that was far more unconscious and emotional, and far less logical and objective. I knew I wanted it and I went for it.

And guess what? I love T-Rex! I'm thrilled with it. It meets my personal criteria, the parameters that I evaluated in a completely illogical and undoubtedly completely biased way. But that's how most people make decisions most of the time. Good or bad, right or wrong, we humans are far more emotional, irrational and biased in the choices we make. It's human nature. And all of the well-thought-out charts comparing parameters in an objective way don't really apply to most people and the way they will make decisions most of the time, because they will not pay attention to them and just buy what they want.
Business Card Q & A eBook & The Elvis Peek videos are $30 each and may be purchased by sending a PayPal to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com. Elvis Peek videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=715994&start=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtMqE98Rol8&ab_channel=NiqueTan
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2394 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Enotskcalb wrote:
Quote:
The central issue is not that the parameters are objective. The central issue is what specific parameters or criteria are important to a specific person in a specific context.

In fairness, this is pretty much exactly what I have written on the page under discussion.


Quote:
You can tell me my decision was not rational, and I did not evaluate my own CT needs and all available options using objective criteria. And you would be right! But that misses the point entirely. I saw something I wanted. I had a gut feeling, an intuition, that was far more unconscious and emotional, and far less logical and objective. I knew I wanted it and I went for it.

Understood. We agree that your decision was an irrational one. But it's your decision, and I do not have to live with its consequences. And I do not argue for (or make claims about) how others make decisions, rational or otherwise. What I do is attempt to provide sound, objective data for those who choose to perform rational analyses.


Quote:
I love T-Rex! I'm thrilled with it...

T-Rex is a decent tear, no doubt about it. Among its limitations, I consider at least two of them significantly egregious not to meet the standards I set for my own work, but I am not you. In fact, I am known for fretting over tiny details that many others are willing to overlook as insignificant. I'm happy with my approach (which has served me well over the years), and sincerely hope that others are equally pleased with theirs!
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3685 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Luv the Docc but just went to buy this as I've been travelling a lot lately and its up to just under a hundred bucks US. Sorry I missed the boat on this
tony diss
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tony diss
This peek works great and has all the natural cover you could ever need built in. I know I came up with it over years ago and have been doing all along. Strange how someone can come up with something and then years later someone else comes up with the very same idea independently.
I worked printing all my life until I went to fulltime preforming so I had access to all the paper in the free world and narrowed down to the best paper stock to use in order to execute this technique flawlessly, even down to the grain of the paper.
I use this for pre-show, drawing dup. and have the person paperclip it and put in a envelope and hold on to it until that part of show comes around. Something about saying "And you have been holding this all along" sure goes a long way.
tony diss
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tony diss
Sorry for that typo in my last post, that should read "came up with it over 8 years ago"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL