The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Ouija board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
Hi all,
Do you believe in the Ouija board?
My friends and I played the other day but it didn't work. They were all really scared it was real but when we convinced them they played,
I don't believe in it. But it would be kool if it was. We then went on the web and got a pic and tried again but failed.
Have you ever tried it?
chajodawg
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of chajodawg
I think I tried the Ouija Board a long time ago, but of course it didn't work. It's kind of a cool concept, and it's nice to believe in, but when it's all said and done I am sure there is nothing to it.
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
I've got a Ouija board sitting around somewhere. I think it's one of those things that's as real as you make it out to be. I've found it's great fun to shim the planchette and make it move with your PK kit. This way, it truly moves without anyone touching it.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Derren Brown had a ncie name for the way you actually move it yourself.
Matt
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
If there really was a device that allowed us to contact "The Other Side" would it be made by the millions from Parker Brothers, the people who brought us Chutes and Ladders? Treat it as a fun thing that captures the imagination, but don't let it go futher than that.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Do I believe that you can contact some "other world" of dead people with this Ouija Board? No.

Are there people in the world who *do* believe in it? Yes.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There sure are a lot of gullible people out there.

I've had more than a few calls for people calling and asking if I sell ouija boards. I say no, and also say that I think they are a bunch of garbage. (I'm entitled to my opinion).

I don't even own a magic shop, but have calls asking for the strangest things, but that is one of the more common requests.

I've even had a person show up on my doorstep, at my home once (a deaf lady, with an aide to interpret her sign language) asking what sort of magic I did. When it came down to it, she was looking for a fortune teller / psychic.

Like I said, a lot of people putting their faith in the wrong things for answers.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I've always felt the Ouija Board to be urban legend and bunk with regards to spirit contact. If that were true about contacting spirits why were people paying mediums vast amounts of money to contact the dead when all they had to do was obtain a Ouija Board that's been around forever? Anyhow, you will have as much fun with it as you want provided you put some creativity into it.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
In highschool it answered personal questions about me when I was a person watching and 2 friends were using. They did not know what it was saying, and who it was--though I did.

Ellen
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I've always viewed it as a good tool for demonstrating the ideo-motor response, and a familiar prop for bizarrism.

My wife will not have one in the house. She had some bad psychological experiences with the Ouija years ago, and now steers clear of them.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
Kool, thanks for your oppinion.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
When I was about 18 I used to do ouija for a few mates. There are a few techniques used for influencing the planchette, whether in contact or not with the planchette.
There is a technique where you apply pressure at a point and when the planchette is released (by all) it flys across the board. I always got big reactions from that.

Don't worry about questions people ask. They will try to fit the answer to themself and be quite enthusiastic about it.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I had an Ouija board as a kid. My older sister and I would play it, and yes, the planchette actually would move across the board even though we were not touching it. We followed the directions carefully and had our fingertips as close as we could to the planchette without them actually touching it. It definitely was a weird sensation feeling the planchette move and literally "pulling" us along. I have since read years later that this experience is some sort of pyscho-motor response -- somehow we "fooled" ourselves into thinking the planchette was moving by itself when in actuality we were the ones moving it by very, very slight touches onto the planchette with our fingertips. I don't know. It was a very distinct sensation, and one I'll never forget. All I know is that we were consciously NOT moving the planchette.

Do others know what this "sensation" is that I'm speaking about?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
At the age of 20 two of us used an older board and asked specific series of questions that had to be spelled out with, at then, unknown answers that could be verified at set points in the future. To this day every answer was correct and the board was burned months afterwards when we realised that the first predictions were all coming up true, including names dates and places we had no knowledge of.

I belive now that we were too young to realize we both were in contact with something other people never were and likely it had nothing at all to do with the pressboard and wood game.

My current beliefs prohibit spirit contact and I make no effort to do so, nor do I have any thoughts or desires to do so.

Parker bros. only took took up the manufacture of these boards and there may be as many as 100-150 different types of "talking" boards that have been made in the last 200 years.

At any rate IF it was possible to do something like this, take my advice and don't get involved. In fact walk the other way.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Prettylady,
I can tell you that the board is easily manipulated into doing anything the operator wishes it to do. I can tell you that I have been an operator and fooled many people. I can also say to you that I have absolutely no special power and no belief whatsoever in any supernatural display for reasons to long for this thread.
Lastly, I will say to you that there are many persons who do believe and no matter what I or anyone else says or demonstrates will change their mind. Therefore, a market for spirit boards, fortune tellers, and Uri Geller.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Blindbo. I agree 100%.
It seems too me that the Ouija board has 1 special power...
that is the power of belief. I have found it to be one of the most believable tools for fooling people.
People just seem to feel ok about using this novelty medium to contact the spirit world. I have even had sceptics in a corner over the results of the board.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Ouija board (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL