The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Any News On Those Elusive "New Copperfield Illusions"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
I was wondering if anyone who had been to see Copperfield's show since the beginning of the new year could let us know if there have been any sightings of that "bird routine," that "giant step-ladder" illusion, or that "huge levitation" we were all hearing about?

Because I haven't heard anything about them yet, and I wanted to know if anyone else could give us an update on what's going on with these illusions, if they even existed in the first place, or if the whole thing is just on hold due to what's been going on in the media?
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I heard it was just an illusion.
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

I mean, is I know he's replaced the Baby Illusion with the Floating Rose (probably a smart idea, all things considered), but is he basically just done doing new material?
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Why would he need new material?
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Ilan
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
195 Posts

Profile of Ilan
Saw him on the 20 Dec in Vegas and no new illusions. He did the floating Rose and Ring in Shoe as well.
If you can't laugh at yourself, you are obviously not getting the joke
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I know there was some buzz around the forums about new illusions forth coming, but I never saw any big release about it. Maybe they are still in development? It would be cool to see some new things from DC's camp!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
I saw his show last night and there was nothing new. But if he did come out with anything new I'd be very much surprised. He absolutely doesn't seem to be "in it" anymore. At times he was even mumbling incoherent stuff. I think the drive is gone. In fact, he looked annoyed being there. Don't get me wrong, I admire Copperfield like many people here but it just bummed me out seeing him performing with such a lack of connection with his audience. He'd walk to the sides to pick someone and just walk back to the stage with his head down not really giving a dang. It seriously left me feeling empty. I really hope he's o.k.

It's been discussed before I know but I had to see it for myself to believe it. And now I believe it. He's burnt out or something. To many shows for too many years and that's what he has become, a shell of what he once was. It's really too bad.

Andre
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
That was my experience as well when I saw his show at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood last year. I felt he was just phoning it in. With the exception of "The Lottery," it could have been anyone presenting the illusions. Worse, there were a couple of times where I felt he was downright hostile to his audience volunteers.

I've been a big Copperfield fan for many, many years, so needless to say I was terribly disappointed.

To add insult to injury, I brought three friends with me to see the show who aren't much into magic. I told them that this was one magic show that would really impress them. As it turned out, that was not the case.

It was sad, really.
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Yeah he wasn't very nice to the audience members. He had an 84 year old man up on stage for the lottery trick and had him unlock the glass box. Needless to say, this wonderful man was having trouble with the locks and Copperfield was actually rolling his eyes at him like "hurry up buddy we don't have all day". You could tell the man was nervous and that's when he just blurted out that he was 84 (to which the audience began to applaud).

The more I think about it the more insane it seems to be. It's almost like since he has stopped making TV Specials he's lost the drive to be on top. Maybe it's a form of writer's block.

Andre
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Again, I ask the question - why does he need any new material?
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 10:34, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Again, I ask the question - why does he need any new material?

He Doesn't.

But, I think people are basing it on what David has said during different press releases. I recall David saying there would be new items when he went on tour overseas, but that didn't happen so are they on hold or not ready yet?

Also, David gave an interview a while back. I thought this was an interesting statements about his shows:

Quote:
D: If I did, I would stop it. I really love what I do. Sometimes when you do as many shows as I do a day, you can’t look forward to every single show honestly, when you do four shows in a single day. But the audience always keeps it fresh for me.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

The reason he needs new material is because back in the day, David had virtually a brand new show ever couple of years or so, but time has caught up to us, and now we find Copperfield playing literally the exact same show with nearly the exact same set list line for line for nearly SEVEN YEARS NOW without any new illusions, and the collective opinion from magic fans we're tired of buying expensive David Copperfield tickets and winding up seeing the same schtick without any new material.

He's been saying they're working on new illusions (allegedly, a "bird routine," some sort of "giant step-ladder" illusion, and an intriguing "huge levitation"), and I've even seen images posted on his web site's message board that seen to support some of this.

But we're going on nine months now since those press releases saying that the new illusions were coming. A baby could have been born during that time. A new levitation couldn't?

-Marc
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
He has also put his classic Dancing Ties routine back in the show which he first performed in the early 90's

Lucas
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Oh, sweet! Dancing Ties is awesome. Smile
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I saw him in Colorado 2 years ago and he wasn't in it either. Afterwards I was chatting with Kenner and Copperfield came by, said Hi briefly and left. Up close, you can tell there is a deadness there.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-01-24 16:45, Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck wrote:
The reason he needs new material is because back in the day, David had virtually a brand new show ever couple of years or so, but time has caught up to us, and now we find Copperfield playing literally the exact same show with nearly the exact same set list line for line for nearly SEVEN YEARS NOW without any new illusions, and the collective opinion from magic fans we're tired of buying expensive David Copperfield tickets and winding up seeing the same schtick without any new material.

Marc,
I hate to tell you this, but this is what real pros do - they perform the same show for different audiences. Every pro out there will tell you that is true. The only people who know Copperfield's previous material are other magicians. Most laypeople will only ever see him live once. To them the oldest stuff is still new.

Further, the only reason Copperfield ever had new material so often was because TV demanded it. But the public's memory is short, and they like the familiar (ever listen to commerical radio?). So either they have forgotten what they have seen or they remember with fondness. Either way, the lay public is happy.

We all of need to stop looking at Copperfield through magician's eyes. We need to see him through fesh laymen's eyes. As if we are seeing him for the first and most likely last time. Look at him like that and your opinion will change dramatically.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

I completely understand your rationale, Daddy Cool and if this forum was a website for laypeople, I might even agree with you. But seeing as how this website is a forum specifically for MAGICIANS, I feel I have a fairly reasonable right to critique Copperfield's show from exactly that standpoint.

It scarcely matters WHY Copperfield had so much new material on such a regular basis, whether it was a personal decision or if TV demanded it. I could really care less. However, those new illusions created a standard of quality by which Copperfield earned the reputation of being the best of the best, and for better or for worse, I would argue that this those specials and all those new illusions played at least a small role in creating Copperfield's image, reputation, and fan base.

Of course the lay people could give a horse's arse about what's in Copperfield's act. However, that standard of quality in live magic that Copperfield once represented, for whatever reason is waning, and I would argue that is why we're seeing magicians like Criss Angel who regularly use CAMERA TRICKS and DIGITAL EFFECTS being considered the top dogs in town by the "lay people" you speak of today, as opposed to Copperfield who basically just does live shows these days.

Listen, I'm not gonna tell Copperfield what he should or shouldn't do. It's his show. Financially, he certainly doesn't need a career boost. The man is set for life. He can essentially do whatever he wants. All I'm saying is that as a fan of magic, I would really love to see that standard defended again. But if Copperfield ever wants to preserve that standard again, he should be held accountable. But that's my opionion...mainly because most what I'm being offered these days as a magic fan involves slick editing and trick photography, and what can I say? It gets old fairly quick for me.

-Marc
benjie84
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
234 Posts

Profile of benjie84
Back when I was five years old or so, I saw david Copperfield go over niagra falls. he had so much enthusiasm, so much drive...i was very nervous and actually thought he wouldnt "make it". then I saw him fly and literally got chills, between his great monologue full of drama, to the music and the flawless illusion. I looked forward to his specials every year, and I am 100% honest in saying he is the SOLE reason I started to get into magic in the first place (since then there has been many other reasons behind it tho.) I always told myself I would love to go see him live. I saw him back in january 2006, and needless to say, his illusions floored me but I was left missing something. the whole time I was waiting for him to "pick up". I thought it was just me but apparently it wasnt. he talked fast, had negative body language, was very hap-hazard with volunteers and really didn't care much at all. 7 years ago when he did the tornado of fire he still was full of life, so what happened since then? I still admire and almost idolize him, but am sad to see such a deadness inside. He clearly doesn't need any money, so if it makes him miserable to perform (which it looks like), then why perform? I know we cant look at this with just magicians eyes, but he just seems to have lost the inner magic...
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Does any one take into account that maybe his age is just catching up to him? Just curious. I mean, really do we expect Hulk Hogan to perform at the same level he did in the 80s and mid 90s? Do we expect Michael Jackson to perform at the same level he did on Thriller and bad? Does anyone expect Paula Abdul to be all that and a bag of chips this Sunday at the Superbowl? I mean, really. Let's put some of this into perspective. It seems that only our magic idols are expected to never age or lose a step or two.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
He's only something like 52 years old. That's hardly old. Look at Clint Eastwood! He might be what we consider old and hasn't even slowed down. Paul Daniels is older than Copperfield and hasn't changed. He still performs with the same amount of pride and confidence.

No in the case of Copperfield it has nothing to do with age. I seriously believe it has to do with being overworked. It's amazing he's survived this long. It's quite unbelievable actually.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Any News On Those Elusive "New Copperfield Illusions"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL