The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Your most expensive show ever... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
$5,000 for showing Buster the Aqua-Keet at a Wal-Mart share holders event.

Usualy 600 to 2,500

500 to 900 for doing my numberology work.

Jack

The act is for sale here on the Café' by the way.

Click on the Applied Thought Technologies banner.
H.O.A_X
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
$5000 for six barmaids....could be a fair price, depending upon the value did they delivered. The old saw goes: A man once asked a woman, "Would you spend the night with me for $1,000,000?"

"Certainly," came the reply.

He then asked, "Would you spend the night with me for $1?"

"No!" she replied angrily, "What do you take me for anyway?"

"We've aready established that," the man retorted, "Now we are just negotiating price!"

Seriously, regarding prices, I've found that there are several fee levels in this business. In fact, I discussed them in my Kidabra lecture last August.

Level one fees are in the $100-$300 range per date, and include birthday parties, libraries, day care centers, etc. Best left to part-timers, although many full time entertainers still accept bookings in this range.

Level two fees are in the $300 - $1000 range per date and can include schools, fairs and festivals, colleges and some corporate and association work. Most full time performers work a lot at this level.

Level Three fees are in the $1000-$2500 range. Now we are talking about corporate and association bookings, some trade show work, colleges and small theaters. Now you are starting to get serious about the business.

Level Four fees $2500-$5000 - Be prepared to deliver the goods for corporate and association events and/or draw audiences to medium sized thaeters.

Level Five - $5000 and up - You are pretty well known and can draw audiences to theaters, conventions and the like.

At the lower fee levels, bookers tend to have a fixed budget for entertainemnt and that will keep prices down. At the higher levels, the act is often sharing the profits with the booking person in some sort of joint venture arrangement. The upside could potentially be very lucrative for all parties, so it's possible to earn much higher fees.

In every market, however, there are people who position themselves at the lower end, some in the middle of the pack, and others who price themselves at the highest fee level. It's wise to learn the needs of the markets you serve, the typical fee ranges paid, and then work on increasing the value (perceived and real) that you deliver to your clients.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I understand many viewpoints on this subject about reveal the highest fee.... It can be fun and interesting to see how much we "working class magicians" can bring in... Therefore from that view point it would be fine to reveal such...From the view point of shoving it down someone’s face how on much one charges would not be that much fun to say how much....

We must consider all factors in the fee, type of show, timing, special request, style, IMAGE, etc etc....

Therefore I will take the viewpoint of the "Highest fee"
One of my international tours I charged $300,000 US dollars for 29 shows plus production cost of $85,000 I was gone for almost two months and it too my manager, agent, and Pr staff almost 5 months to plan such.

But please consider the fact I was doing death defying stunts that brought lots and lots of publicity to the venue over 1 million additional visitors over the course of the 29 shows... (this is always my selling point bringing in more traffic and free PR…)

So spill the beans others and justfy why such of a fee.....
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Good answer Curtis,

I will provide a response tomorrow.

Jack

I also think Jim provided some very good information.

You guys have a good night.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
In the past I never really compared pricing. It is interesting to note what people are getting. Sometimes people don't know what to charge and Jim's post is a great guide (thanks).

Will I be affected by someone else recieving more? Not personally. I think it's great that someone can make money doing this. I also think it helps show what a market can provide in terms of revenue.

Why should we be so secretive about our pay? Sometimes magicians hold their fees more precious than the secrets to their tricks.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I'm going to go out on a limb here and advise this. The experiences that I've had in magic all have been positive. The people I have met have all been more than helpful, supportive, kind, and just downright great guys/ 'er and a few female magicians too. This post has been about inflated prices. But what is a price? I've done high end gigs; that's evident. I've enjoyed seeing the bank account balance rise here and there. I make an honest living performing. But what kind of work am I doing now? I'll fill you all in: low paying work.

I work USO shows for troops. A gig that doesn't pay. A gig that the only way it really pays is to cheer someone up. To entertain the families of Marines, Sailors, and defenders. I work constantly. I'm always on every single night. It's the holiday tomorrow and guess where I'll be? Entertaining Naval troops in Norfolk, VA. Do I get paid- yea. Two checks a month. Is it what I was 'used to?' Nope. So, why is a 'usually high paid' guy doing low paying gigs? Ha- gang it's a paycheck. I have a home for five contracted years. Going overseas here in a very short while. Now....

See any point developing? I do this because I enjoy working. I wanted to make a living at it and I am. I work my toosh off and have fun. BUT, does it matter that my pay is around $2000 a month? No.

Consider the perks. Do I have to pay for food? Nope. Do I have to pay for housing? Nope. Do I get to travel? Heck yea. Never was to Chicago before I joined this organization- except for the one show in Nebraska where I switched planes in Chicago, but that doesn't count. Never was to Virginia before now. Have I ever gone overseas? Nope, but will. Three years overseas tour. Health Care insurance, and Dental all taken care of. I think it evens out. I get to bring entertainment to the military as one of the only magicians currently. (I believe so, if anyone knows of anyone else please contact me!) And if I can do that- I'm satisfied, they're more than happy- everyone's honkey dorey.

Now- since I want to be constructive with this post, and not just rant. What could you do to help the military out? How could you entertain them as I am? Simple. Apply. I work for three organizations. AFE, USO, and MWR. You can easily apply and enter the AFE (Armed Forces Entertainment.) You're bound to go overseas, and actually receive some ok money. http://afe.afsv.af.mil/ If there is a military base near you, all you have to do is contact the MWR office on that base. Every military installation has some sort of recreational facility. Hence MWR is- Morale Welfare and Recreational services. If there isn't a military base near you; heck there is bound to be a Veterans home. You can get paid! Don't think that they'll 'persuade' you to donate your time. Just like nursing homes- they have budgets. But unlike nursing homes; Veteran's homes have higher budgets...

Some might wonder why I would write up this post and encourage you to do this. I think it's a good thing and that everyone should at least attempt; if not think about it. I know I enjoy it. Now- to get contracted. That is the business and luck part. I can't tell you what you should do. It's all you then. You have to be the one to take that initiative. It's not like I'm going to get jealous if you join these groups- it's not like you're making more than me;) Everyone makes the same. Even the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Oh- that's another thing. You get to meet some interesting entertainers and be on the bill with diverse people.

Since everyone was discussing inflation- I thought I'd mention my deflated price and plug USO shows. Well anyway. 'Tink outside the comfortable living bubble. I still wear a suit daily, still am who I was before; so that quality of life hasn't dispersed. If you have any questions- feel free to post one.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko

Oh- and Happy Thanksgiving
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mr. Billidentertainer,,,

Yes, it is interesting in seeing the different ranges.... I also concur with Jims view point on the fee ranges...

Although, I have received over $20,000 for one show but hey I still LOVE, yes LOVE doing the Library shows for about $300 ish dollars when there is a gap in my schedule...

I am proud to state that I started in magic by doing birthday parties, school shows, etc which has been the blue print to my upcoming success... It has taught me, and shaped me for the market that I am in today...

I have created a super star playful image for myself that risk death for amusement which has lead me to much of my $$$$ success... which I have learnt from my smaller shows…..

TomaskoMagic, I solute you for your work,, but man, shorten your post, they are always are long,, But good info......eheheh wink... teasing you

CHEERS
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Interesting discussion....no???

the only down side I see to this thread is that someone would google my/our name and see these posts, its a slim chance but hey... I DO regret posting it fpr that reason...but still find it interesting to see what people replied....

I am one of the few (i'd estimate about 20%) that have their real name here on the Café..Could defenitaly be weird for a potential client or someone researching your name see a thread like this...
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes,,, these threads do come up on searches at times... HEY MAGIC Café>> FIX THAT>>>>>>
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Sorry you'd have to pay to make the server secure as in https which cost money
and being a free site - it doesn't make sence.

But we now know that it will show up on serch emgins-- I just hope no one looking for me types Darth David into a search engine
puppetboy
View Profile
New user
Manhattan
28 Posts

Profile of puppetboy
Quote:
On 2005-11-22 10:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
$12,00 plus expences to the Council of Logistics Management

Is that 12 dollars?
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Hi gang, I do like all this bravado...and over the net we can all claim big $$$. I do think it is sad that I have not recieved a 6 fiqure pay day or "bagged five bar maids in a night..." That was the best quote on the Café in a month...Thanks Jim for a good laugh.
Best James
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20433 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Puppetboy yes that is 12 dollars! a whopping 12 dollars!!!! PLUS 2 in expences which makes it a HUGE FREAKISH 14 dollars!!!! TAKE THAT IRS!

If I had used the period instead of the cama the joke would have been much funnier trust me. Darned punctuation. Someone rearranged the keys on my computer.

But I had a serious point too. He is excited about ataining a certian level. So he wants to share, that is natural. I also believe not sharing can be done by not typing and even typing in a joke as I did. Either option is really ok if you think of it. When he has done shows enough to not be excited by it then he will stop.

Personally if I have one dollar more than needed to pay the bills and things I want, I consider myself the richest man in the world. I get to travel the world doing something I absolutly love, and for that I am rich!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
To me certain things should not be said. And this is one of the subjects that should never be talked about...only with clients. The reason is it just seems like this dicussion comes down to bragging about I have the most expensive show or bla bla bla this or that....Giving out number of this and that mean nothing. Your show could cost a arm and leg....but the real question is...is it worth it. Will that client call you back for that price again. That is the real question.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Michael,

I am in disagreement with you on this topic. I have always told other performers my fees.

The reason is not to brag but to keep prices up. If another guy wants to work the market that I do I would rather have him know what he can ask for.

I know many guys are slightly apprehensive about asking for a decent wage for their services. I have booked guys to work with me before at events and told the client what they got paid. One guy was paid 200. more than he normally asks for. He could not believe that I told the client that he charged 350 for strolling magic. But as Jim pointed out there is a budget for these things. If you do not ask for the money they will not give it to you.

After the event he raised his prices because he realized that is what the market would pay.

I mention how much I have been paid in the adds for my Intelligent Redesign Package for the same reason. It is an example of what the performance is worth.

Right now their is a list of guys on my site that use my system. If I am unavailable to work an event clients can contact one of them.
If some one contacts them from my site the client will be expecting to pay what I would charge.

Well I hope I have made my side a little more clear. I would rather have prices high than low.

And once again Jim posted a great break down.

Jack
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Jac,,,

I so agree with you.........
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Now the real questions is... Would you ask someone in person how much they make? no.

The internet makes it so much easier...there's a huge difference there no?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Now you have touched on a big kick for me, when it comes to my fee. I have a coleague who I work with often, because people sometimes hire more than one juggler for a party, so I give the customer my fee, and my friends phone number, and I will do, or say anything to get $50 more than him, not a lot of money, but a lot of fun.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Juggleral...
Love your joke... We should remember, most of us (well most will agree with this statement) we got into the entertainment business for something else than money... ... THE excitement, the pleasure of entertaining and amusing others... Money is the secondary reason.....
Keep showing the love of your craft and the money factor will take care of itself... It has for me...

Cheers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20433 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hate to be the one always on the outside, BUT I got into entertainment for the money. Period. Plain and simple.

When I realised how much I could make I took it. I don't go home and play with magic tricks, I don't hypnotise my friends for fun. I never leave the house with ANYTHING to impress people. I get all my performing fantasies out of my system... .......well by PERFORMING.

I have other hobbies. Performing is work for me. I do it for the money and go home.

I do all the necessary schmoozing and things to get the shows, but work is work. nothing more for me. Just like any job I ever had.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Your most expensive show ever... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL